What are some of your favorite live albums?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

herman
Known user

Re: What are some of your favorite live albums?

Post by herman »

Was listening last night to the Fuzztones 'Live in Europe '85', wich has a killer version of 'blues theme'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOhsEnnvw6Q

Besides Davie Allen & the Arrows' original, the only other cover of the song I know of is done by the Chocolate Watch Band.
Or, does someone knows other ones?
"Thank you"
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Just recovered from listening to the verve @ Hultrfred Festival, many thanks toi Runcible for sending me the link for the download. Jaw droppingly good thats all I shall say.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote: I have Mover on now and agree with spzretent - those sounds are kind of impossible.
i have a vhs loitering about somewhere with them doing a gravity grave at a lollapolooza show in '94 and the jam after 'the song' is 5 minutes of evil evil screaming coming from the guitar and Ashcroft caught in a constant strobe.....he mustve been pissed at somebody that day...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

BTW thanks Beaker for making Hultsfred available to everyone....if anyone says ' i dont like Verve' i just slap this on and watch a paradigm shift! :''D

have you got all the old radio sessions aswell?...always worth a punt.....in fact there is an amaze version of 'sit and wonder' from japan in 2008, McCabe is still kicking out the jams on that one...
Astrometry
New user

Post by Astrometry »

There's just too many, but a recent favorite is David Crosby's It's All Coming Back to Me Now... there's a beautiful rendering of "Hero" on it, and generally it's just a triumph - almost as good as Neil Young's best live recordings.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spunder wrote:BTW thanks Beaker for making Hultsfred available to everyone....if anyone says ' i dont like Verve' i just slap this on and watch a paradigm shift! :''D
^^
What he said. The best live Verve I have ever heard.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The Verve Hultsfred link is down now - would anybody be kind enough to re-upload it?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Fab - thank you!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Greeny wrote:The Verve Hultsfred link is down now - would anybody be kind enough to re-upload it?
the one Beaker posted does have the full gravity grave doesnt it...?? there are some versions floating about where it fades out pretty sharpish
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spunder wrote:
Greeny wrote:The Verve Hultsfred link is down now - would anybody be kind enough to re-upload it?
the one Beaker posted does have the full gravity grave doesnt it...?? there are some versions floating about where it fades out pretty sharpish
13 minutes enough for you?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

runcible wrote:
spunder wrote:
It's enough for me. Out-bloody-standing. Cannot believe I missed out on seeing this lot back in those days.

Back to the main thread, this could be just a bootleg but I bought it because it is marked as a promo, so it sort of counts:

http://www.discogs.com/Mogwai-3-14-01-R ... se/1651733

I've yet to hear a live recording of Mogwai to beat it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:
spunder wrote:
ha ha thats the one...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Picked this up from eBay the other day:

I had the CD but it "disappeared" years ago :cry: . I was chuffed to pick this up on double LP in excellent nick (cover a bit tatty, but vinyl looks and sounds amazing). As I now own a copy (again), I can officially add it to my list of favourite albums. It is a total killer....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Was it expensive? I had a pile of those years ago but they sold really quickly.

It's a good album but slightly let down by Josh's vocals which were always an issue with Loop live. Good Burning World on there though.
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

Really digging the Verve Hultsfred show! Was never a big Verve fan but this is a great performance. thanks for the sendspace link
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:Was it expensive? I had a pile of those years ago but they sold really quickly.

It's a good album but slightly let down by Josh's vocals which were always an issue with Loop live. Good Burning World on there though.
I think it was £30 including postage, but can't remember and am posting this using iPhone, so can't check. But, the vinyl is pristine and the cover is VG+. These fetch more in worse condition.I've been after a really nice copy for a while. I only had it on CD previously and still have a rip. Unsurprisingly, the vinyl sounds much fuller and more dynamic in comparison.

Agreed about the album being good though. As for Josh's vocals, they are best described as hit and miss. When they are good (e.g. Peel session version of "Straight to your heart") they are really good and fit the music quite well. At his worst Josh tends to sound a bit like the bastard lovechild of Gonzo and Fozzie Bear trying to sound hard........

Always enjoyed Loop live. Top night out as they used to say....
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

olan wrote:Picked this up from eBay the other day:

I had the CD but it "disappeared" years ago :cry: . I was chuffed to pick this up on double LP in excellent nick (cover a bit tatty, but vinyl looks and sounds amazing). As I now own a copy (again), I can officially add it to my list of favourite albums. It is a total killer....
lucky find, i have the CD as well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

coffeepotman wrote:Really digging the Verve Hultsfred show! Was never a big Verve fan but this is a great performance. thanks for the sendspace link
This show is outstanding. Words cannot describe the look that must have been on my face as I drove around town listening to this show. Nick McCabe is on fire. How he makes those whale sounds with feedback is a mystery.
That is just how I remember them live.
The best live band(this era) that I have ever seen. Period.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Its the best document of them Live that i have ever heard. The set list, the sound, the band, the guitar, everything is just sublime.
Gets a spin every other day, never get tired of it.
I saw them 3 time in 95 and its similar to how I remember them, before Noel gallacher got into Ashcrofts ears and then it all went ballady bollocks
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

lou reed- rock n roll animal- not the short version but the whole show
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”