Belle & Sebastian : If You're Feeling Sinister Documentary

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Belle & Sebastian : If You're Feeling Sinister Documentary

Post by TheWarmth »

This is wonderful. I really, really enjoyed it and learned a few things I didn't know about the band. I haven't listened to the album in a long time and still embarrassingly don't own a vinyl copy. I'll have to rectify that. There are so many gorgeous songs on it. Enjoy:

http://pitchfork.com/news/49599-pitchfo ... -sinister/
toomilk
Known user

Re: Belle & Sebastian : If You're Feeling Sinister Documenta

Post by toomilk »

I was just about to post this. It is great. I wish they would have covered all of the songs on the album though.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Amazing album, one of the few that my sister and I can really connect on (Elliot Smith being one of our only other overlaps) so it has a lot of sentimental value for that reason. When I was in elementary school I remember hating B/S on the principle that my sister liked them, and then feeling really fucked up in middle school one day, listening to this album, and feeling even worse for not realizing how moving it was all the times my sister had played it/never realizing that I would actually really like B/S, but also feeling better for finally coming around to it. But yeah I watched this yesterday and also thought it was great, I third this recommendation.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

And I'm fourthing it...

Just watched this and really enjoyed, given me a bit of a jump start to listen to them again.

I saw Belle & Sebastian at Glastonbury 2004 and absolutely loved them, I bought everything I could find. I went through a six month or so period where I listened to them all the time and was really excited when they announced a date at the Hammersmith Odeon…they were awful and I have to say it put me right off them. I didn’t think much of The Life Pursuit either and have no idea what they have done since that record.

The period covered in this film was great though and may have to dust down those records.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thank you very much for posting this - a brilliant documentary I'd possibly otherwise have missed.

My only complaint: it was quite short considering the breadth of the subject matter. I don't mind that they didn't cover every song, as they covered the main points. Missing out 'Me and the Major' was no great loss as I consider it the weakest and least interesting track on Sinister.

I hope this doc gets wider exposure though. BBC's Storyville would seem like a good place for it to end up on mainstream media.

I'm curious that no mention was made of the subsequent live Barbican performance, which Stuart said at the time was done because he wasn't totally happy with the original recording. However that was a while ago and he may have changed his mind since then.

Hopefully this will remind other folks (as mentioned above) about this remarkable band, with their brilliant back catalogue. Plus I hope this process will help the band themselves in producing a return to form for the next album, after the underwhelming 'Write About Love'.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

nickh wrote:I saw Belle & Sebastian at Glastonbury 2004 and absolutely loved them, I bought everything I could find. I went through a six month or so period where I listened to them all the time and was really excited when they announced a date at the Hammersmith Odeon…they were awful and I have to say it put me right off them. I didn’t think much of The Life Pursuit either and have no idea what they have done since that record.
I was at glasto for that. Was definitely something special. As my memory serves me the weather was all miserable and rainy, and they were so good they made the sun come out. Or maybe the sun's appearance accentuated the feeling of the music, i'm not sure. Anyway, good times - i'll have to check out the doc.. :wink:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Did anyone else notice/think Isobel Campbell looked and sounded very different compared to earlier interview material such as that on the Fans Only DVD?

Her naturally girlish face has aquired an almost plastic quality, and more notably her accent has changed significantly to an odd Glaswegian-American hybrid. I used to find her very sexy, in a sort of innocent and vulnerable way; her voice had a beautiful sensual quality which I found charming, endearing and exceptionally attractive (although her singing remains beautiful on her recent solo work/collaborations). :?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, agreed. I thought she looked really weird in the recent interview bits.