Lil B - Open Thunder Eternal Slumber (SLOWDIVE SAMPLE)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

Lil B - Open Thunder Eternal Slumber (SLOWDIVE SAMPLE)

Post by Hofstadter »

Wow this is too funny. Not sure if any of you guys are aware of Lil B (AKA the BasedGod)? I don't even know how to begin to describe him... Post-modern genius/entertainer? He is pretty much a parody of himself/rap stuff, but a lot of people take him seriously, a lot of people also know that it is all ironic... well is it? Is he serious when does the stuff he does? It's all in the layers of Lil B... you seriously just need to watch a lot of his videos/become aware of his extensive social media presence on facebook/twitter to fully appreciate the bizarre worl of the BasedGod... But yeah he never hints at it all being a huge elaborate joke, but it's got to be... It's mostly just really weird, bad (but on purpose?) rap that defines the cult of Lil B (and that's part of the joke? not joke?), but for instance he had a "foray into soft-rock" that is really fucking hilarious/great, especially as part of the arc of the persona ("persona?"). Here's a good lil sampler of the Based God.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRF-d9rHm4M About gun control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXhQDb2bQBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5PVFjsQG8 THIS IS THE SOFT ROCK ONE AND IS ACTUALLY VERY FUNNY

He even did a series of lectures (?) at NYU...

Anyways, I, like (I'm guessing) pretty much all of you, have pretty much no interest in rap stuff, although just from a weird cultural/humor standpoint I do think he is pretty interesting, although I really don't know much about him (mainly through friends who love him/the fact that he is an LA guy) - a friend sent me this video the other day and my jaw dropped though when I was listening to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gB9bKdhPc

Yeah... Lil B sampling Catch the Breeze... I just had to share this, it was too much/too weird/too funny

But yeah, maybe this should be in other because I don't really expect this to generate much conversation, I just thought some of you might be mildly entertained for a few minutes by this.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Lil B - Open Thunder Eternal Slumber (SLOWDIVE SAMPLE)

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't know much about Lil B, except that he seems like a total goofball. Hip-hop and rap are a genre that I have a tough time with. Every now and again, an artist I like will have a guest rapper on a track and I can dig it (for example, Four Tet's "A Joy" or the Neon Neon tracks from Stainless Style with rappers on them), but whenever I hear stuff by the genre's big acts (Kanye, Jay Z, Puff Daddy or whatever he's called these days, etc.), they always make me cringe. I can't stand the excessive sampling ("Otis" by Kanye & Jay-Z is a great example). I don't like the over-the-top egos, the ridiculous posturing and the heavy-handed emphasis on wealth and power. Of course, I am using stereotypes here. I know there are artists out there who don't fit the aforementioned mold, but the fact of the matter is that 99% of the hip-hop and rap I've enountered hasn't appealed to me, so I'm not possessed to delve deeper into it. A friend played me some Cannibal Ox a year or two ago. They seem interesting, but still didn't strike a chord. Sorry if I derailed your thread!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:Hip-hop and rap are a genre that I have a tough time with. Every now and again, an artist I like will have a guest rapper on a track and I can dig it (for example, Four Tet's "A Joy" or the Neon Neon tracks from Stainless Style with rappers on them), but whenever I hear stuff by the genre's big acts (Kanye, Jay Z, Puff Daddy or whatever he's called these days, etc.), they always make me cringe. I can't stand the excessive sampling ("Otis" by Kanye & Jay-Z is a great example). I don't like the over-the-top egos, the ridiculous posturing and the heavy-handed emphasis on wealth and power. Of course, I am using stereotypes here. I know there are artists out there who don't fit the aforementioned mold, but the fact of the matter is that 99% of the hip-hop and rap I've enountered hasn't appealed to me, so I'm not possessed to delve deeper into it.
I mostly agree with this. For me a lot of the appeal of hip-hop growing up was how cool the samples can be, but as I've tracked down a lot more funk and soul, I'm more satisfied with the real deal than a repeated little clip behind someone bragging about how rich they are. I've been listening to a lot of classic country and it''s interesting how many of the songs are bragging about hardscrabble origins or about how rough you've had it. It's a lot more traditionally bluesy than things that are ultimately about how your crossover singles and Twitter presence have made you into an international brand with your own fragrance.

There certainly is rap/hip-hop that tries to be more thoughtful, but I feel like a lot of it is contrived product for college kids who want to feel authentic -- the kind of thing that says hip-hop is the CNN of the streets and the new underground railroad etc. It's out there for sure but sure isn't what tends to sell.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I like hip hop and I admire the fact that Lil B couldn't make it to the Grammys this year because he didn't see his email invite in time.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i wish i never knew about this :(
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Lil B - Open Thunder Eternal Slumber

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hofstadter wrote: Anyways, I, like (I'm guessing) pretty much all of you, have pretty much no interest in rap stuff...
Definitely not true, if only speaking for myself. I tell you what though - I have absolutely no interest in Slowdive stuff.

Not heard of Lil' B but might check that link out later cheers...
jadams501 wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Hip-hop and rap are a genre that I have a tough time with. Every now and again, an artist I like will have a guest rapper on a track and I can dig it (for example, Four Tet's "A Joy" or the Neon Neon tracks from Stainless Style with rappers on them), but whenever I hear stuff by the genre's big acts (Kanye, Jay Z, Puff Daddy or whatever he's called these days, etc.), they always make me cringe. I can't stand the excessive sampling ("Otis" by Kanye & Jay-Z is a great example). I don't like the over-the-top egos, the ridiculous posturing and the heavy-handed emphasis on wealth and power. Of course, I am using stereotypes here. I know there are artists out there who don't fit the aforementioned mold, but the fact of the matter is that 99% of the hip-hop and rap I've enountered hasn't appealed to me, so I'm not possessed to delve deeper into it.
I mostly agree with this. For me a lot of the appeal of hip-hop growing up was how cool the samples can be, but as I've tracked down a lot more funk and soul, I'm more satisfied with the real deal than a repeated little clip behind someone bragging about how rich they are. I've been listening to a lot of classic country and it''s interesting how many of the songs are bragging about hardscrabble origins or about how rough you've had it. It's a lot more traditionally bluesy than things that are ultimately about how your crossover singles and Twitter presence have made you into an international brand with your own fragrance.
There certainly is rap/hip-hop that tries to be more thoughtful, but I feel like a lot of it is contrived product for college kids who want to feel authentic -- the kind of thing that says hip-hop is the CNN of the streets and the new underground railroad etc. It's out there for sure but sure isn't what tends to sell.
I dunno guys, mentioning the likes of Jay-Z and Puffy here as representing that genre or whatever - c'mon, that's like saying you hate food because you don't like Burger King or McDonalds. Y'know that stuff is just bland, commercial garbage served up for the masses, and with little or no artistic appeal. These lines about "someone bragging how rich they are" : this to me sounds like the sort of dross that clogs up the like of MTV - I assume so anyway, I haven't watched MTV in years. It's like any kind of music surely - only a small percentage of it gonna be good, usually the sort of stuff you've gotta hunt down, not what Walmart is trying to sell to you.

Perhaps a little disappointing to read such attitudes on these pages to whole genres(!), I think this board used to attract a slightly more open-minded discerning listener. Not against you guys and your opinions in particular, but Hofstaders assumption said it all.

For me, some of the best tracks and albums over the last 20 years of serious music-love have been from the rap/hip-hop/r&b/whatever 'category'. I don't give a shit about the 'authenticity' of the artists - sometimes all I want is a great hook, awesome rapping, and some visceral thrills. Hey! Sometimes I want something I can kick back and really zone into to and listen to the lyrics - that's more than catered for with that stuff too.

Jadams - interesting comparison with C&W, but you think that those artists wouldn't have embraced Twitter or a chance to promote their own perfumes or whatever? Because I rather think they would have done. I also think there's an element of passing on knowledge/going back to the source with the tracking down of samples and loops there. Sure, some of the original material may well be better but a lot of the time its about the interpretation and utilization of the sample into something fresh and new. Personally I have been introduced to many artists and their work this way...
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The primary reason for my mention of Cannibal Ox was to show that I have made some effort to investigate non-mainstream hip-hop. I thought it was alright and certainly it doesn't suffer from the "look how rich I am" syndrome, but I still couldn't get into it. I have friends who don't like electronic music and friends who don't like soul music. It's hip-hop/rap in my case.

Edit: Just browsed this interview. Fucking ridiculous. I don't get the appeal:

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/9066-gunplay/
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

TheWarmth wrote:The primary reason for my mention of Cannibal Ox was to show that I have made some effort to investigate non-mainstream hip-hop. I thought it was alright and certainly it doesn't suffer from the "look how rich I am" syndrome, but I still couldn't get into it. I have friends who don't like electronic music and friends who don't like soul music. It's hip-hop/rap in my case.

Edit: Just browsed this interview. Fucking ridiculous. I don't get the appeal:

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/9066-gunplay/
Be interested what you thought of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8hzUDXvtk

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU6og94qDwk