Internet radio stations / shows?????

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stevelee101
Known user

Internet radio stations / shows?????

Post by stevelee101 »

As BBC 6Music continues its descent into terminal blandness, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any interesting internet radio stations / shows that are worth checking out? Thanks. :P
redcloud
Known user

Re: Internet radio stations / shows?????

Post by redcloud »

Radio Paradise is a good, eclectic station.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Bit harsh on BBC6 music, Mark Riley and Gideon Coe are decent enough, obvioulsy not going to break too many rules buts till a decent listen, cant comment on the daytime offerings as I never listen
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

www.shipfullofbombs.co.uk or search for Ship Full Of Bombs on Facebook

This one is set up locally in Leigh On Sea, Essex, by my friends. Bit biased but they play some very good music on there. Would be cool if you checked them out, made comments, as I know they'd appreciate it. Very wide ranging. Last week had a good psych/RnB/blues type vibe going on. No one is a professional DJ, just music mad, play local bars and clubs, all good folk.

Or another local one for me is Radio Nova 'Soup Sessions' http://radio.novalujon.com/category/soup-sessions/
Different people playing sessions each week, worth tuning in for.
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

Thanks Johnnyboy and Redcloud, will check those out.
Re. 6Music. I listen mostly during the daytime and - Radcliffe and Maconie aside - the DJ's / playlist are just getting so bland. Airheads who claim every single song they play is, "amazing," and constantly talk about looking at stuff on their webcam / tweeting / 'interacting' when the reason I'm listening to the radio is because I want to listen to the radio and NOT do that 'other' stuff . . . phew! :lol:
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Mary Anne Hobbs's 6 Music show on both a Saturday and Sunday morning is great, a refreshing choice of tunes (Primals, James Blake, Elgar, Nick Cave and Goldie recently) and a selection of interviews with questions not ripped from 'boring journalism 101'...the Johnny Marr and Nick Cave interviews have been very candid and eye-opening. Available on the iPlayer, or like me, as I'm up with my daughter, a nice soundtrack to a weekend breakfast.....

Sean Rowley's 'All Back to Mine' on BBC Kent is consistently good; a relaxed, late night vibe, but his taste is pretty spot on, lots of acoustic stuff, soul etc, and a good mix of old and new - highly recommended. Also on the iPlayer, and if you sign up for the mailing list you get a playlist sent to you each week...a nice touch.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

the Drug Music Webcast is one of my faves: http://home.comcast.net/~losafa/WebCast.htm
New shows posted every few days and an archive of past shows you can stream.
I think I feel it coming on
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

stevelee101 wrote:Thanks Johnnyboy and Redcloud, will check those out.
Re. 6Music. I listen mostly during the daytime and - Radcliffe and Maconie aside - the DJ's / playlist are just getting so bland. Airheads who claim every single song they play is, "amazing," and constantly talk about looking at stuff on their webcam / tweeting / 'interacting' when the reason I'm listening to the radio is because I want to listen to the radio and NOT do that 'other' stuff . . . phew! :lol:
I've really gone off Radcliffe and Maconie. They seem to be turning into smashy and nicey. They should have stayed on radio 2 I think.

Haven't listened to Lauren Laverne for some time, but I think she's a good presenter, and Shaun Keaveny is pretty funny in the morning.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I like Sunday morning/lunchtime - Cerys matthews, Huey Morgan play a good, eclectic mix of songs
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

helterskelter wrote:I like Sunday morning/lunchtime - Cerys matthews, Huey Morgan play a good, eclectic mix of songs
I like Cerys and the music she plays (could do without the recipe slot though - who nodded that one through?????) but Huey's such a moron I have to switch off before I can even listen to what he plays. "I'm so Nooo Yoik, people say to me, 'hey, you're a rock star'," . . . yeah, whatever, Mr Plastic-Made-man. :lol:
Each to their own though, obviously.
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

purespace wrote:the Drug Music Webcast is one of my faves: http://home.comcast.net/~losafa/WebCast.htm
New shows posted every few days and an archive of past shows you can stream.
Whew, good stuff! Thanks. :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

WZBC boston college radio.
i haven't tuned in for awhile b/c i left boston and am not set up to listen much online, but ZBC was my breakfast, lunch and dinner at one time.
they fed me henry flynt, sun city girls, sublime frequencies stuff, old delta blues, i'm not awake enough to recall more but do try them! i don't know if carl is still there... or james...

http://wzbc.org/
http://spinitron.com/public/index.php?station=wzbc
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Alison Mosshart has been sitting in for Jarvis Cocker on 6 Music for the last three weeks and has been superb. She's played loads of great blues but also stuff from the Johnny Cash, the Primals, Tom Waits, Dan Penn, Mark Lanegan, Neil Young etc.

I have a soft spot for Ms Mosshart anyway.....but these have been great shows. The last one's only up for a few more days, death and the devil is the theme....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rhxfk
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Self promotion alert:

I'm on the radio tonight if you fancy tuing into my very first ever experience of it all. It could be 'radio gold' or an awful mess of dead air and me talking in circles and getting my facts all wrong. My friends have a regular internet radio show called Ship Full Of Bombs, they do a night each and one of them has asked me to guest on it tonight. Plenty of chit chat and records, hopefully all relaxed with a pint in hand (it's in a room above the local music pub)

Tune in from 8pm til 10pm tonight if you fancy it. www.shipfullofbombs.co.uk

I've a bundle of records set up for it including Thee Oh Sees, Make Up, Royal Trux, Funkadelic, Ike & Tina, Primal Scream, Ride, Mudhoney, Sly Stone, Stones, Woods........you get the jist.

Cheers.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Sounds sweet would love to listen - can I ask what time zone it is in though for 8-10?

Have a feeling I missed it as it is already 8PM here in LA and pretty much anywhere you might be would be later than Los Angeles but oh well. Maybe it will get archived?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The shows do get archived and this one will be available as a pocast soon enough.

It flew by really quick for me. Had a few pints during it (it's above a pub, handy or deadly?), lots of banter and joking around and I got to play half a dozen or so tunes in the middle. Hardly scratched the surface of the big pile I took along but i did play Thee Oh Sees, Make Up, Jon Spencer, Jackie DeShannon, JAMC, Primal Scream, Merry Clayton, Black Angels.....possibly a couple more. Plenty of chat about the choices and what not. Highly enjoyable!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The podcast featuring my guest spot is now up and running. If you fancy a listen then head over to http://www.shipfullofbombs.co.uk/Podcasts - podcasts tab - 22/05/2013 Sea Shanties show with Dan Newman and Birdy (my very old nickname).

Cheers.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

sweet man thanks.
ma
after 3 years of broadcasting almost every wednesday night from september-may, just had my last show on the school radio station i started as a sophomore tonight. bittersweet/melancholy, played some of my favorite songs that i have played on khws over the years/the one's that felt fitting emotionally/the ones to say goodbye to khws with. today was the last day of high school as well, which was very bizarre, at least just thinkin about the significance of breaking out of this cycle/routine that you've been in for 12ish years. might post some thoughts on it later.

ESCHATON
Bad Kids :: the Black Lips :: Good Bad Not Evil
Splendid Sight :: the Bintangs :: Happening Holland
Horse Steppin' :: Sun Araw :: Beach Head
Vis-A-Vis :: Allah-Las :: s/t
Don't Think Twice It's Alright :: Bob Dylan :: The Freewheelin'...
Wonder Years :: Real Estate :: Days
Half Here :: Pure X :: Pleasure
Devil Town :: Bright Eyes :: Noise Floor

Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle :: Jay Reatard :: (covers)
Insight :: Joy Division :: Unknown Pleasures
K-Stars :: Stereolab :: Peng!
What We Talk About :: Hookworms :: Pearl Mystic
Sand Into Rain :: Eternal Tapestry :: A World Out of Time
To June :: Ganglians :: Monster Head Room
Shine A Light :: Spiritualized :: Lazer Guided Melodies
Trust :: the Pretty Things :: SF Sorrow

Roadrunner :: The Modern Lovers :: s/t
Rock and Roll :: the Velvet Underground :: Loaded
Radio Radio :: Elvis Costello

CODA
Maniac :: John Maus :: Songs
Upon Viewing Breughel's 'Landscape With the Fall of Icarus' :: Titus Andronicus :: The Airing of Grievances

Roadrunner, Rock and Roll, and Radio Radio felt like the perfect, simple way to say goodbye and release myself from the melancholia (even if uplifting at times) of the rest of the show.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

a
Last edited by Hofstadter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

http://forum.spiritualized.me/viewtopic ... 82#p114782

i hope these posts don't bother anybody, let me know if they do!