Feel So Sad

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

Feel So Sad

Post by clewsr »

lovely review of the feel so sad single here http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/2247/

Haven't listened to the 12" in ages, Going to have to dig it out and remind myself how wonderful it is.
natty
Known user

Re: Feel So Sad

Post by natty »

Arguably the best thing he's ever done with Spiritualized IMO.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I agree. I love the whole ambition of it, and the fact that there's a few different versions of it (almost like variations on a theme)
and it's just a plain lovely song.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

For Me Feel So Sad is one of the titanic classics of J's catalog. I often complain about the excessive reverb on his vocals on Recurring, and I'm glad he revisited the song to give it more of the LGM treatment for Rhapsodies and Glides & Chimes. But then, as much I love the studio originals, J managed to equal them with the classic Peel Sessions performance.

I've always appreciated the way the different versions of Feel So Sad are grouped together on The Complete Works to make a suite, so I extended the idea for a great hypnotic/late night playlist:

Drive (Demo) Big City EP
Drive Big City EP
Feel So Sad (Reprise) Recurring
Feel So Sad (7" Single Version) Recurring
Drive (Remix, Battery Studios by Anjali Dutt)
Feel So Sad (Rhapsodies) Complete Works
Feel So Sad (Glides & Chimes) Complete Works
Effervescent (Chimes) Complete Works

55 minutes of pure bliss!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

wowzer. that looks a good playlist.

surprised no room for the peel session though?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

There is also the versions from the Flux Festivals with the big band. Was never so sold on the Recurring version, but the full length version is amazing. That part when the vocal finally comes back in after the spacey, echo-laden middle sequence and all the instrumentation seems to be in exactly the right place.... pure joy. Amazing!
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

clewsr wrote:wowzer. that looks a good playlist.

surprised no room for the peel session though?
I've got a longer playlist with the Peel Session and Flux Festival, but I tend to nod off with the more blissful stuff and don't want anything noisier to wake me up!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

BzaInSpace wrote:There is also the versions from the Flux Festivals with the big band. Was never so sold on the Recurring version, but the full length version is amazing. That part when the vocal finally comes back in after the spacey, echo-laden middle sequence and all the instrumentation seems to be in exactly the right place.... pure joy. Amazing!
Not sure I've heard this version. Any chance of an upload?
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

I put together a nice 19 minute version of this song mixing a few of the versions together. It's heavenly
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

natty wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:There is also the versions from the Flux Festivals with the big band. Was never so sold on the Recurring version, but the full length version is amazing. That part when the vocal finally comes back in after the spacey, echo-laden middle sequence and all the instrumentation seems to be in exactly the right place.... pure joy. Amazing!
Not sure I've heard this version. Any chance of an upload?
if you mean the Flux version, I can sort you out if Bza hasn't already
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sorry - I was referring to the epic full-length 'Rhapsodies'/'Glides & Chimes' version of 'Feel So Sad': an astonishingly ambitious piece of work for a second single.

I do have at least one of the Flux gig boots somewhere on disc - will have to dig for them though.
O P 8