Tell me about.. Miles Davis

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Tell me about.. Miles Davis

Post by angelsighs »

I've been reading Julian Cope's excellent book Copendium recently which has introduced me to loads of great albums (also some enjoyable pieces on bands I already knew- he really nails the essence of Comets on Fire)
there is one particularly lengthy chapter on a specific era of Miles Davis- Get Up On It/Dark Magus/Agharta/Panagea. Julian gives the caveat that he is not a fan of jazz "in any way, shape or form" but this era was the true crossover from psychedelic rock and funk. also compares it to the repetitive funk elements of Can.
this has obviously piqued my interest, I've been trying to get into jazz recently (or at least the areas that are more free-jazz or more psychedelic sounding)
after reading a bit more about Davis he does seem like a giant of the scene, but it's hard to know where to start.

I do have some of his albums already. years and years ago I got a triple pack of Sketches of Spain, Porgy & Bess and Kind of Blue. the only one that really does it for me is Kind of Blue (the others are a bit too 'arranged' and structured). but even that is a bit too 'cool' and chilled for me. prefer something a bit more fiery and intense.

so, any Miles fans here? where to go next?
is he definitely considered one of the greats even by jazz aficianados? he does seem to be the first point of call for rock fans who want to try jazz, wonder if jazz-heads ever get sniffy about this.
also feel free to turn this into a more general jazz thread, my ears are open! :)
moop
Known user

Re: Tell me about.. Miles Davis

Post by moop »

I highly recommend 'bitches brew'. It's essential Miles. It might take a few listens to click with, but it's worth it.

I'm also a big fan of the Agharta/Pangaea albums you mentioned. I would agree with Cope that they're more in line with Can than a lot of 'jazz'. If firey is what you're looking for, these should definitely appeal. Don't be put off by the length of the tracks. They're actually a lot more immediate than his other stuff (i guess because of the more regular timings/styles?). Enjoy!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

moop wrote:I highly recommend 'bitches brew'. It's essential Miles. It might take a few listens to click with, but it's worth it.
I still haven't made it past disc 1 :oops: Someday i'll get around to trying those funkier Miles albums, but at the moment life's too short!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Only Miles Lp I own is Tribute To Jack Johnson. It is amazing to this non jazz fan.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Bitches Brew and On the Corner are incredible records that are hardly jazz at all.

On the Corner is a bit easier to swallow than Bitches Brew. Tons of loops and recurring melodies. It plays like one big piece instead of a cycle of songs.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

sunray wrote:
moop wrote:I highly recommend 'bitches brew'. It's essential Miles. It might take a few listens to click with, but it's worth it.
I still haven't made it past disc 1 :oops: Someday i'll get around to trying those funkier Miles albums, but at the moment life's too short!
I really can see your point with bitches brew. it's not easy, but warrants the time it needs (in my opinion anyway).

In contrast though, the later, psych-funk stuff seems almost instantaneous to me. It's not a case of having to work through BB in order to appreciate the funky stuff - quite the opposite. To illustrate my point, here's a youtube link to a section of the first track on Pangaea. The track may well be 40 minutes long, but it's basically just relentless and fun with a load of solos thrown in, not cerebral at all, but very intense. The guitar, bass and drums feel like a speeding car and Miles sounds like a tornado trying to throw it off the road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68BIF00Fso

That part around where the clip ends where the guitar sort of has a breakdown then starts to kick back in... wow.. (sorry it cuts off where it does, there's no full track on youtube)

I agree that life's too short, but just give this 10 minutes of your time and you'll know whether it's for you or not.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

< < < M I L E S > > >

Post by BzaInSpace »

[deep breath]

On the contrary, life would be too long without the music of Miles Davis. I can't even imagine a life in music without the massive space taken up by this guy's work, his various bands and towering discography. A hell of a lot of his music has been basically sustenance for me for over a decade now. And there are still albums I've not even heard.

Where do you start? You could do worse than with Bitches Brew as I did. The crappy CBS cassette I had actually had the original analogue mix and master on it - all following versions have had a newer digital remix and master that while probably more geared towards audiophile tastes there are different (digital) delay effects and stuff. Either way it's awesome - pretty hard to make this album sound under par I reckon. It's hard to describe how and why this album is so good but those of you into Talk Talk's later albums will understand. This is not exactly music that you have to understand or 'decode' or anything else here I've read - it is very much concerned with mood and atmosphere and for me is like a gateway into something else - The Other? It's mental really.

It's sounds like a massive orchestra playing out in deep Space, or deep under the ocean and when I hear about these really far out psychedelic albums I always wonder why they don't sound like this. Something almost similar in the rock canon might be Hendrix '1983 (A Merman Should I Turn To Be). It still burns me that the Gil Evans/Miles Davis/Hendrix collaberation was due to begin a mere two weeks from Hendrix's death. Gotta wonder what that would have been like...
From a technical point of view, and following on and building on techniques on the more sedate In A Silent Way (another masterpiece, of which there are many in Miles 1968-1975 period) this album was years ahead in using the studio as an instrument, the final versions of 'Pharoah's Dance' and 'Bitches Brew' are edited and spliced old-school style into something else - 19 edits on the former, according to this article http://www.miles-beyond.com/bitchesbrew.htm

I can also recommend The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, 4-disk expanded edition with various outtakes and contemporary tracks.

The great thing about Miles electric period was that the bands and line-ups, both live and in the studio, were totally liquid and personnel changed almost daily a lot of the time - bit like the Funkadelic/Parliament axis. So no two albums (or live shows for that matter) were ever the same - the albums through this period are like snapshots of who he was working with at that point.

Case in point - the Live at the Fillmore East March 7 1970 (bizarrely enough sharing a billing with Neil Young & Crazy Horse, their show from that night is also an outstanding live album... what a gig!!!) sounds nothing like Bitches Brew.
At all. In fact, struggling to describe who it sounds like. There's no guitars here for a start - but two keyboards (Corea & Shorter) playing very different stuff in each channel. This is more like Beefheart energy or something - a lot more 'freer' but not free-jazz. It's very direct and aggressive music.

My all-time favourite album has to be the awesome On The Corner - I've raved about it on here a lot over the years but basically it still sounds like nothing else on Earth. Fuck knows what it did to people's heads back in 1972 - it's like one long loop over an album playing the same basic theme. I must add that despite what you think that might sound like it's immense - this really aggressive, hypnotic thing going on and on. There's a vast array of instrumentation on it (with changing personnel throughout) but pretty uniquely for that time all the tracks are mixed at a similar level, the trumpet is no louder than the congas, etc. It's like evil electric jazz(?) meets the Wall of Sound. This record is one of endless fascination to me and is far less 'radio-friendly' than Bitches Brew IMO. The Complete On The Corner Sessions, with it's awesome metal sleeve, is one of my prized possessions and has 6 discs of earlier versions and takes and loads of good stuff. Nothing (nothing!) beats the original album of course but I love hearing the stuff that surrounds it. I cannot recommend this one highly enough...

"I've got everybody in the band but the devil on tambourine...."

For a contemporary official live record check out Live at Philharmonic Hall, similar themed artwork and a good chunk of the On The Corner band playing stuff from it and others. Pretty dark and murky live production... really heavy percussion based sound here. Laziness inspires me to rip this from wikipedia who ripped it from the following:
According to Allmusic editor Steve Huey, "melody isn't the point of this music; it's about power, rhythm, and the sum energy of the collective, and of Davis' electric jazz-rock albums, In Concert does one of the most mind-bending jobs of living up to those ideals". JazzTimes writer Tom Terrell commented that the album "predicts hip hop ('Rated X''s bassline = 'White Lines'), Ornette's Prime Time ('Black Satin') and Talking Heads ('Ife')"

1971's Live-Evil was marketed as the 'sequel' to Bitches Brew but once again it's something else entirely. It's like a weird compilation of the studio and live stuff Miles was working on at that time - the live tracks came from a series of shows (later released as The Cellar Door Sessions) which featured a comparatively smaller band in a tiny venue. I would love to have been at one of those shows! Anyway another excellent album, far more varied in tone, mood and tempo than the others I've mentioned so far. The studio stuff has a more immediate production and there are soft, reflective pieces mixed with pretty ferocious upbeat material. Outstanding sleeve artwork too!

Great to see Jack Johnson mentioned here - for me, THE album maybe to start with if you're new to this stuff. It's fantastic and I imagine right away it would appeal to many here - it's criminal that this record isn't better known, Agharta is practically a popular record in comparison. Quite unlike anything else in Miles' vast discography (again) but it's fucking incredible. A two track album... but what tracks they are. Unlike most of his other 70s studio recordings he uses a really small, limited band - it's like Miles-goes-garage-rock but of course it's far more than that. It's the one record by him I'm certain to play first for the curious or those who've only heard Kind of Blue. Raunchy guitars are big on this. Many would have no idea it was Miles Davis at all, until he starts playing on it perhaps... a wonderful moment indeed when he joins in here. As I understand it, due to his ultra-healthy lifestyle at the time his playing never sounded better than on here. He's not using any effects or wah like he does on a lot of this era's stuff. If you really want to hear pure, joyful expressive horn playing it's all on here. Plus the greatest rock 'n' roll band you've never heard...

Gotta mention Big Fun and Get Up With It, both released in 1974. I tend to think of these albums as related to each other, two sprawling double albums that are mostly compiled from material between 1970-1974. They do work as album length pieces though and present a vast array of different personnel and styles. Take Get Up With It: the first track, the Ellington tribute, ('He Loved Him Madly') lasts nearly half an hour, and is an epic, meditative ambient thing. Amazing. You also hear a total straight up blues track, the most 'vanilla' track Miles worked on in the 70s I think ('Red China Blues'), as well as the ever-awesome and ever-bonkers 'Rated X'. Who can guess what was going on when Miles' and his genius producer Teo Macero decided to drop in and out the entire rhythm track throughout - it's gotta be heard to be believed.

The infamous Dark Magus live album was also recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1974 and presents a really heavy, out-there version of the live band, the Michael Henderson/Pete Cosey/Al Foster 'Wrecking Crew' band that by then had been a pretty stable line up for some time. On this album there are no less than three distinct electric guitarists going for it - in true Motörhead style 'everything louder than everything else' - and y'know what, this album shares far more with the likes of Motörhead than any jazz-fusion monstrosity from that particular period. This album is just ferocious, and brings a whole new meaning to the word 'intense'. It's not an easy listen at all and could do with a bit of light and shade perhaps - it's relentless. You oughta hear it though.

A year later pretty much the same band played two all-time-great sets in one day in Japan: a matinee and evening set which each make up the music on Agharta and Pangaea.
Agharta is a fantastic album and I suspect it's true value and influence has yet to be felt - it's pretty much on a par with the greatest stuff ever laid down on tape. What can I say... the band by this time are playing this mad, glacial take on wired future funk - the heavy onlaught of Dark Magus remains but by this point they can spin it somewhere else in a second. There is this sorta well known bit about 12 minutes into the first track 'Prelude' where Pete Cosey suddenly enters on guitar and proceeds to melt your brain. It's incredible, incendiary stuff and is some kind of post Hendrix and Hazel stuff - did anybody play guitar like ever again? These are two long, epic albums but are amazing. Pangaea is not as rated as much as Agharta but it probably should be. Again, the fact these two sets were from the same day is mindblowing. Miles went quiet for a few years afterwards. Listening to these it's perhaps not surprising. All of human life seems to be inside this stuff but there's a lot of pain. The Real Heavy Shit.

... phew. This sorta felt familiar, and I found this thread rummaging around the dark corners of this forum: http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 3#p27004at least there is some consistancy here! SIX years ago... :shock:

Probably my longest ever post - and the crazy thing is I've only covered a small portion of Miles' electric period, '69-'75. There's so much other stuff just from then, both official live releases and a million bootlegs. There's a great 1973 set from the Montreaux Jazz Festival which is just amazing, the exact midpoint between Agharta and On The Corner maybe, but it really rocks too.

Beyond the electric stuff, well, that needs it's own thread but there's so much. I discover stuff down the line and have grown to really appreciate the Gil Evans collaborations, the much maligned 80s material, there's also this amazing live album from back in 1961 called In Person: Friday and Saturday Night at the Nighthawk which is just amazing and sounds so fresh - there's also the progressive series of albums with 'The Second Great Quintet' from the 60s, the Cool era stuff, the bootlegs with Prince...

Good night. :roll:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hard to follow BZA's excellent post. What an enjoyable read. Proof, yet again, that this is the best music forum.

I too have the 'Jack Johnson' album but the Davis album that I think best answers Cope's description is the 'Live At the Fillmore' record. So spacey, so atmospheric, so organic and...as BZA says, aggressive! Cocaine was surely flowing through their veins as the music just pummels its way into your soul. At the NYC show it was Young and Crazy Horse who shared the bill but a a month later at the Fillmore West in SF it was a double bill of Davis and the Dead. Imagine that!? The young rock bands were literally falling over themselves to share the stage with Miles.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow didn't think this thread would grow like this! thanks for all the replies, and of course to Bza's epic post!
in a way, it's not helped because everyone seems to be selecting different albums... must have one of those giant catalogues where everyone has different favourites! lots to investigate..
BzaInSpace wrote:[deep breath]
Something almost similar in the rock canon might be Hendrix '1983 (A Merman Should I Turn To Be).
now that, along with the Can comparisons, really appeals to me. 1983 is an absolute peak of sonic ambition to me and not only one of Hendrix's best works, but one of the best works of the whole psychedelic period in my opinion.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

well, there's nothing much more to add to bza's post. once you get into miles' music you're lost!
I find myself looking for new bootlegs and extra studio tracks over and over. miles' output was incredible!
maybe one album that's left unspoken: 'isle of wight concert' recorded during the isle of wight festival august 29th 1970, where he plays a steaming, funky, out-there 35 minute trip with an fantastic line up: gary bartz (sax), chick corea (key), keith jarret (key) dave holland (bass) jack dejohnette (drum) and airto moreira (perc) easily one of my fav davis concerts (along with 'live-evil' and 'filmore 1970')
it takes a lifetime to absorb the man with the horn's music
"Thank you"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

moop wrote: The guitar, bass and drums feel like a speeding car and Miles sounds like a tornado trying to throw it off the road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68BIF00Fso

That part around where the clip ends where the guitar sort of has a breakdown then starts to kick back in... wow.. (sorry it cuts off where it does, there's no full track on youtube)

I agree that life's too short, but just give this 10 minutes of your time and you'll know whether it's for you or not.
Yep. That's the stuff for me. Thanks very much. :)

The first few minutes remind me of something off Cope's 'Rite Now'.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

...like the clip says: 'electric and brutal@ berlin 1973':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSFSdcGPLM
"Thank you"
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

yes.

bitches brew is a seething, organic mass of an album.

he was cool and calculated which is probs why i prefer Coltrane, but you wont get much better than bitches brew or the complete on the corner sessions....or indeed, in a silent way.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh my god are you guys trying to destroy my bank balance.. I'll take a dip in and report back!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Live/Evil was the first jazz record I ever owned. My mother bought it for me for a dollar at a yard sale, not knowing what it was but assuming it was a greatest hits or something. And to this day I have an aversion to that period of Miles Davis' career. Not that I am hugely informed, only a dabbler, but for me the Birth of the Cool and Kind of Blue are where it's at. For me the skill and disciple to create sounds that are so sophisticated and restrained trumps whatever wild abandon to be found in the more avant-garde stuff from later on.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I won't add too much to what BZA has said as all the passion I have for Miles Davis' electric period is in his very well put post up there ^^. Top work amigo.

I'll second the Live At The Fillmore "It's About That Time" album. It's ferocious. There's an excellent review of it on Pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/219 ... that-time/ which is a must read. As the reviewer says in the final paragraph "I'm not sure I understand what the preceding hour-and-a-half was all about, except what I consider exceptional musicians taking exceptional chances."

I'm a huge fan of Dark Magus, On The Corner, In A SIlent Way, Bitches Brew, Get Up With It. They're not albums I play all the time but when I slip into a Miles Davis period they can be on rotation for days and weeks.

My very first foray into his electric period was this superb album which basically 'remixes' that era into a cohesive whole over the course of one album. It's fantastic and I'd urge anyone who hasn't got it to buy it pronto or to at least read up on it http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1866/ I can remember taping it for a 3 month trip to Mexico back in 98 and it soundtracked many bizarre/wild evenings, long bus trips, stoned in a hammock on a beach sessions.

Sky Arts One showed his Isle Of Wight ffestival film sometime back and that was amazing. I love the improv of it all, the band locking in and watching eachothers moves, taking little riffs and notes on new journeys. Really fascinating music which some people either detest from the off because it can sound like a group of people all playing a different tune (as my brother once said), or you can instantly zone in on their groove and go with them, even if it induces a touch of madness along the way, haha.

Dive in and enjoy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote:I'll second the Live At The Fillmore "It's About That Time" album. It's ferocious. There's an excellent review of it on Pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/219 ... that-time/ which is a must read.
Is that a different 'Fillmore' album than this double LP? This is the record I own:

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

redcloud wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:I'll second the Live At The Fillmore "It's About That Time" album. It's ferocious. There's an excellent review of it on Pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/219 ... that-time/ which is a must read.
Is that a different 'Fillmore' album than this double LP? This is the record I own:

Yep, it's a different one. The pic in the Pitchfork one is the album cover. It's a double cd, recorded at the Fillmore East in 1970.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I -adore- Miles' electric period. I'd concur with everyone's recommendations above, and add a shout-out for the newly-released Miles Davis Quintet: Live In Europe 1969 - The Bootleg Series Volume II, which features 3 perfectly recorded live CDs featuring the so-called "lost quintet". It's seriously funky - the drumming in particular is way out there - but still has a foot in the more traditional jazz he was playing before. The early versions of Miles Runs The Voodoo Down, It's About That Time, Spanish Key and Bitches Brew are a joy to behold.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Hi all,

So long time viewer, but first time poster, as this was something I felt I had to contribute to.

I can thoroughly 'second' the above recommendations; the electric period, whilst alienating to many, is a a colassal body of work, and I can only echo many of the thoughts already posted.

However, I think we need to give a nod to Miles's earlier work as well, which is equally stunning, groundbreaking and essential, so here's a few thoughts:

Most will be aware of 'Kind of Blue' and it's probably one of those albums that's frequently taken for granted; the token jazz album that makes many of 'best album ever lists'......in fact it's so often mentioned it's probably become fashionable to plump for other Davis albums in discussions like these for fear of being labelled 'obvious'. So much so that bizarrely, it may be in danger of being underrated by some. However, the simple fact is, it's an astonishing album, and in the shape of Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cobb and Paul Chambers, I'm struggling to think of a better line-up in any genre of music.....Ashley Kahn's book on the making of the album is throughly recommended and tells you everything you need to know....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Blue-Makin ... 656&sr=8-2

The era of Davis collaborating with Gil Evans is another fertile period...and it's 'Sketches of Spain' that's probably it's zenith. A personal favourite, this will knock your socks off. A mesmerising collection, this is not only music at its finest, but art, full stop. It's beauty and grace never fails to astound me, it's arrangements and playing are beyond compare. To think that this stems from the same man who went on to concieve 'Bitches Brew' and 'Dark Magus' is almost unbelievable, but that lies at the heart of his greatness. Also recommended from this period are 'Porgy & Bess' and 'Miles Ahead' You can get all three, plus extras in the Complete Miles Davis & Gil Evans Columbia' collection, and iTunes used to do this ridiculously cheap, not sure if they still do. All these albums are pretty accesible to the non-jazzhead, and Miles's playing and Gil Evans directed arrangements are all warm tones, a lot of strings and some often unusual uinstrumentation.

The second quintet that followed this period, with Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, Ron Carter and Wayne Shorter (jeez....another astonishing group)...produced some astounding work. This fantastic article explains all far better than I ever could....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... at-quintet

It's basically the bridge beyween the early and electric periods of Davis's career, still overtly 'jazz' but the freedonm of playing and leanings towards the experiements of the late '60's and '70's are starting to appear. 'Sorcerer', 'ESP', and 'Nefertiti' are personal favs. But, if your looking for all of these guys at the top of their game, and some may argue the height of modern jazz, 'Live at the Plugged Nickel' will astonish you. A gargantuan box-set displays the second quintet interpreting some classic Davis mateiral and standards, but some are almost unrecognisable....This truly is a band at the height of their powers, almost telepathic......astonishing music again.

In short, to think that all the above plus the electric period (and I've not even brought up 'Birth of the Cool') comes from the mind of one man (and his collaborators) blows my mind. A good overview of everything, courtesy of specific musicans is below.....

http://thequietus.com/articles/05016-mi ... aul-weller

There's hours and hours of stuff to go through, happy hunting, you won't regret it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well, I started with the obvious and went for Bitches Brew- I love it! I can hear some of the Can comparisons here, it's like a massive ocean of sound to get lost in. it's quite a crazy album but I didn't find it too impenetrable.
thanks for all the great, informative posts in this thread, there's so many tangents of his career to explore, but I think I'm gonna concentrate on that electric period for now
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

M I L E S

Post by BzaInSpace »

princeskinny wrote: The era of Davis collaborating with Gil Evans is another fertile period...and it's 'Sketches of Spain' that's probably it's zenith. A personal favourite, this will knock your socks off. A mesmerising collection, this is not only music at its finest, but art, full stop. It's beauty and grace never fails to astound me, it's arrangements and playing are beyond compare. To think that this stems from the same man who went on to concieve 'Bitches Brew' and 'Dark Magus' is almost unbelievable, but that lies at the heart of his greatness...
Hi princeskinny and welcome - that's a great piece of writing to throw in as a debut post! I'll second the above, an incredible album - there is something otherworldy about Sketches of Spain for sure. I can't even think of any other album that sounds like it. At all. Those guys hit some kind of peak there for sure. For me, the closing track 'Solea' is one of the greatest things ever done by anybody. No faint praise then...

I picked up the Miles Davis & Gil Evans: Complete Columbia Studio Recordings set a few years back from Fopp for about £12 I think, outstanding value given what it contains. It's currently on amazon for a tenner, so I'd recommend anybody curious regarding these two giants of modern music not to hesitate...

I love the Plugged Nickel 1965 stuff too. Compare the versions of the songs on there with the In Person: Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk recordings from just four years earlier and they're like different tunes, certainly taken somewhere way out there. It's a shame these records seem to be currently out of print.

Regarding the Fillmore live albums mentioned by redcloud and johnny - yes! The one I was referring to is this:

which was recorded a few months before Miles Davis at Fillmore: Live at the Fillmore East which you have. At Fillmore is probably more of an edited set (although all edits were by Teo Macero, who was the master, and would have had Miles blessing) whereas It's About that Time album was a bootleg for years until it got an official release around 2001. The later album also has the two sets of keyboards from Corea and Jarrett, and there are always tales that Miles deliberately asked them not to play with and around each other, would insist their monitors were isolated and stuff so you get this really heady, abstract playing going on... mainly as they couldn't hear what the other was playing! Surprising and fascinating how much they run into each other all the same.

To add to the confusion, there is a THIRD officially released third Fillmore album from 1970 - although this was recorded at the Fillmore West and is also known as Black Beauty.

Angelsighs - you should check out In A Silent Way next. Or maybe On The Corner. I'm slightly envious of anyone getting to hear this stuff for the first time - you may find, like I did, that your entire world will change.
:shock: 8)
O P 8
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Thanks Bza, and couldn't agree more about 'Solea'.....Miles playing at his very best...unbelievable piece of music.

Are there any bootlegs or rarities you can recommend? I've got more Miles Davis albums than any other artist and even then some of it has not been absorbed 100%. Even so, the stuff I had is pretty much limited to official releases. I realise this question may be difficult in light of the 'Complete' releases in recent years proving so exhaustive....but any gold hidden away?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The material I really rated has mostly been issued in the highest possible levels of quality over the last 10 years - the (awesome) 1973 Montreux Jazz Festival appearance, Isle Of Wight 1970, the various single length mixes of On The Corner/Big Fun material. The excellent 1969 Juan-les-Pins gig is on this new Bootleg Collection that I will be getting later this month hopefully. There are quite a few good 1973 shows that appear as total or semi bootlegs, mainly radio broadcasts from European gigs. There is an excellent show from Vienna from around that time. The most sought-after bootlegs are apparently from the Japanese tour of 1975 that yielded Agharta and Pangaea. Considering those live albums are from one day of that tour who knows what else is out there?

There was this really interesting post-Agharta/Pangaea live-in-the-studio sessions boot I had years ago - reputedly some of it was recorded in 1976, when Miles had supposedly 'retired'. As well as an intense studio take of 'Turnaround-phrase', there was also an epic, floating and serene version of 'Loving You' by Minnie Ripperton as performed by the Al Foster/Michael Henderson/Pete Cosey line up! Or at least a song based on that melody. An edited version actually appears on the Complete On The Corner Sessions.

Speaking of which, the vast amounts of alternate takes, unedited masters and unreleased songs on the more recent box sets - in particular The Complete On The Sessions and The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions for me make a lot of chasing bootlegs from that era redundant - there's so much on there that had never slipped through the net before. Like the original masters of the On The Corner tracks for example - and of course the sound quality is the highest possible.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Oh yeah, not quite a bootleg, but I really recommend a vinyl rip of an original Dutch pressing of Agharta - a tad trainspotterish of course, but there are at least three different mixes of Agharta out there, and which one you'll hear is dependant on format and territory.

Unfortunately, the most widely available version - the 1991 Columbia double-CD edition - is a very flat and tame master and with very little bottom end. While it's still amazing, the vinyl rip blows it away - it sounds very different indeed. Just sounds much bigger and heavier with a wider stereo-space, and Michael Henderson's bass is suddenly deep and... monstrous!

Enticingly, the original Japanese vinyl album apparently features an "extra dense and reverb-heavy mix" which has also appeared on some of the Japanese digital releases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agharta_(album)

This album, along with Pangaea, is crying out for a proper reissue as a modern Legacy edition package or box set. Surprising it's hasn't happened already given the rest of Miles' 70s output has been remastered/re-released in recent times.
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I agree, the electric period is a must but don't forget to skip back to masterpieces like Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain and then the likes of ESP. Kind Of Blue is the most mentioned and obvious but for good reason, it's a beautiful album from start to finish.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Having only recently dipped my toes into Miles Davis, i'd just like to point out that there is a new magazine series starting in the UK (maybe elsewhere too) which is giving away various classic jazz albums on vinyl with each issue (or at least some of them). First issue - 180g vinyl copy of Miles' Kind Of Blue for the lovely sum of £4.99... just picked up my copy from the newsagents this morning. Its a shrinkwrapped copy so should be relatively safe from damage! There is an accompanying wee booklet about the album too.

Just though i'd mention is in case anyone else was interswsted in grabbing a copy. Issue two supposedly has a copy of John Coltrane's Blue Train (issue two is £9.99). The series also includes Charles Mingus, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, the Dave Brubaker Quartet amongst others.

(Also included in the piles of junk mail in the issue is a special offer for a Pro-ject turntable for £199 with built in pre-amp and USB connection... seems a fair price too)
Last edited by Laz69 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I picked up a copy of that magazine at lunchtime. Wonderful bargain for £4.99. Love the big fold out Cotton Club poster within it. The next issues are £9.99, which isn't too bad a price really.