For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

2013 as in this year, rather than the recent slightly-better-than-average Primal Scream song :wink: .

Was just thinking that 2013 is set to be pretty impressive on the record releases front. We've already had great albums by MBV, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Hookworms. With new albums to come from BRMC, White Hills, The Black Angels, Primal Scream, David Bowie and (potentially) The Warlocks, it looks like 2013 may be just as good as last year records wise. Have I missed anything that anyone else is really looking forward to?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: 2013

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone else streamed the Bowie album? I listened once all the way through and was floored. It's really fantastic. Reminded me a lot of Scary Monsters, but with less of the over-the-top weirdness that makes that album a difficult listen.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shinesalight wrote:2013 as in this year, rather than the recent slightly-better-than-average Primal Scream song :wink: .
. Have I missed anything that anyone else is really looking forward to?
The new Psychic Ills record is on constant rotation here. There is a new Asteroid No.4 ep coming out that is fantastic too :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:There is a new Asteroid No.4 ep coming out that is fantastic too :lol:
Looking forward to this one...please post when it's available.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i think this board likes kurt vile?

his new song is pretty cool.. like 9 mins but floats by with feel good vibes

does anyone still like the men? these guys have been trending down for me after leave home.. the new one is kind of a dud

not sure what else is coming out

will the stone roses release an album that doesnt suck?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Kurious Oranj wrote:i think this board likes kurt vile?

his new song is pretty cool.. like 9 mins but floats by with feel good vibes

does anyone still like the men? these guys have been trending down for me after leave home.. the new one is kind of a dud
I forgot about the new KV song, kid who goes on after me on my radio station played it the other day at the start of his show, so good!

I really liked Open Your Heart, but yeah, I could barely make it through two songs on the new Men album the first time... gave it another cursory listen, did not like what I heard.

Another album to add - Iceage - You're Nothing - finally came in the mail from matador today, along with a cool little flag, so I feel Cool. Pretty rocking so far. Feeds my teenage vybes well.

Also:

Pure X - Crawling Up the Stairs, on Acephale - SO excited for this. only first heard their first album, Pleasure, a month or so ago, but have been listening to it constantly - from 2010, totally amazing. Have been meaning to do a write up, but have been feeling swamped. I will soon though. Seriously awesome.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the new low album is coming out in a few weeks- i just checked and it looks like pre-order of it has shipped. pretty excited to hear it- 'so blue' is a beautiful track.
it also looks like the black ryder are finally putting out a new album. i still listen to 'buy the ticket take the ride' quite a bit.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin album is out 16th April, new track Minotaur is now streaming http://pitchfork.com/news/49485-listen- ... -minotaur/ . Not as groove based or wild as other songs but I'm liking it, nice strings. Can't wait to see them live in May.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The Knife - Shaking The Habitual is out soon, and the debut album from Factory Floor is also due in the coming months. Really looking forward to both of those.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

mkb wrote:debut album from Factory Floor is also due in the coming months
Yes agreed. v Throbbing Gristle
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Strange that no one mentioned Bell Gardens before. there first full lenght cd is pure bliss! It's like a crossover of spz 'lazer guided melodies','let it come down' and the beach boys on morphine. I know it's released in 2012 but I still give it good credit!
Also a very nice one is Thurston Moores new band: 'Chelsea Light Moving', there debut is out last week.
"Thank you"
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Thee Oh Sees fans - get your loving head around this mighty new riff!! http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/150 ... mb-buster/

Yowza.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I don't know who else still follows him but it appears that Richard Ashcroft will release an album later this year. Even his worst albums have had their gems, I think, so I anticipate at least a few good songs even if a consistent album seems forever out of reach.

Black Submarine have promised a film soundtrack AND their new album this year, but that seems unlikely. I think Nick McCabe has a guest appearance on an album by Lowline so there should be something at least.

The Strokes have a new album coming out very soon. I haven't been grabbed by the new single, but I've gotten a lot out of all their albums and even much of the solo stuff so I assume it will be good.

There's a singer-songwriter I like named Josh Rouse who does very solid exotica meets early 70s AOR with thoughtful lyrics and arrangements who has a new album out this month. He's put out some really fantastic stuff through the years.

AND Bob Dylan has a new entry in the bootleg series that should be out later in the year. Apparently it will be focused on Self-Portrait and the domestic country years. This is one of my favorite periods of Dylan and criminally underrated so there should surely be some choice cuts.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote:Thee Oh Sees fans - get your loving head around this mighty new riff!! http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/150 ... mb-buster/

Yowza.
Oh my :D

It amazes me how such a prolific band can maintain such a high quality of music. Once again, I would urge anyone who's never seen Thee Oh Sees live to catch them on this tour as they are a fantastic experience in the flesh. Can't wait for their Dublin gig in May.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Thee Oh Sees fans - get your loving head around this mighty new riff!! http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/150 ... mb-buster/

Yowza.
Oh my :D

It amazes me how such a prolific band can maintain such a high quality of music. Once again, I would urge anyone who's never seen Thee Oh Sees live to catch them on this tour as they are a fantastic experience in the flesh. Can't wait for their Dublin gig in May.
It's great isn't it! Have you checked the other new song 'Minotaur' that's been doing the rounds. Not as fuzzed up but nice strings and a lighter feel to it. I'm frothing at the mouth about their Scala gig in May. I'm even tempted to go see them in Dublin as well. It's a long way from Essex/London but could be a fun weekend. Is it a good venue?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Yowza.
listened to this about four or five times yesterday- it encapsulates pretty much every element of theirs that i love.

i listened to the new youth lagoon this morning. at first i didn't think much of it- the guy's voice is kind of distracting, but the rest of it is built on these incredibly beautiful layers of really strange sounds. it's kind of like a more blissed-out, shoegazey flaming lips circa 'clouds taste metallic.' by the end of the record, though, it really started to pull me in. i'm not familiar with anything else they've done, though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

No, haven't heard Minotaur. Must investigate.

They're playing Whelans,which is a nice small venue. Gives the opportunity to get up close and personal with the band. Capacity is supposedly 450 but i reckon it's less. Last time they played was around the time of 'The Master's Bedroom...' and it was Upstairs in Whelans which holds about 100, and there was maybe 15 people there. Half of whom were the support band. Didn't matter, Thee Oh Sees set up their gear in the middle of the floor and played as if they were doing a gig for thousands. I could have shook hands with all of them they were in such close proximity. I felt very privileged to have been present that night. I also expect a much better turnout this time around as more people seem to be aware of them now.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mkb wrote:The Knife - Shaking The Habitual is out soon, and the debut album from Factory Floor is also due in the coming months. Really looking forward to both of those.
Yeah, I want to hear both of these albums. The latest Factory Floor single, "Fall Back," is wonderful.
jadams501 wrote:Black Submarine have promised a film soundtrack AND their new album this year, but that seems unlikely. I think Nick McCabe has a guest appearance on an album by Lowline so there should be something at least.
The most exciting thing this band has done in the last two years is a 30 second clip of music for a Mickey Rourke movie. They've done one gig, as far as I know, around the time that they released the Kurofune EP. Every now and again McCabe surfaces to remind us that they've recorded a ton of material and are waiting for the stars to somehow magically align (a record deal? management?) before they release something. I want to be excited about them, as I think Simon Jones and Nick McCabe are both great, but they've been dragging their feet for so long now it's laughable.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

So, whatever happened to the Mazzy Star album that was supposed to be released last year? It was announced with a bunch of fanfare, hype and expectation but with exception to the "Common Burn" 7-inch nothing has appeared.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

redcloud wrote:So, whatever happened to the Mazzy Star album that was supposed to be released last year? It was announced with a bunch of fanfare, hype and expectation but with exception to the "Common Burn" 7-inch nothing has appeared.
i've been wondering this too. it seems to have gotten very quiet in their camp since that burst of live activity last year. hopefully that means their finishing it up? who knows how long that'll take, though... i'd like to think it'll be finished and released this year, but i don't want to get too greedy. kind of a shame, though, as it was very exciting and then... *silence*
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the new oh sees is up for sale on the castle face site- http://www.castlefacerecords.com/produc ... ing-coffin
the new white fence is too- http://www.castlefacerecords.com/produc ... clops-reap
the colored vinyl versions sold out in a few hours, but it'll still be nice to get them both early. i may have snagged the colored version of the oh sees- the first try failed, but then i tried a second time and it worked. now it says it's sold out, so i figure the odds are 50/50.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm wondering if I should just pre-order the black vinyl for the new White Fence album or wait to see if the record store I have picked up each of the WF records at in the past gets a copy of the colored vinyl in... don't really care for some reason, will probably end up preordering.

http://mannequinrecords.bandcamp.com/tr ... -not-now-2

Track from the Cult of Dom Keller LP, out here in the states via. Reverb. Soc., I'm sure many on here already know though as it was Optical Sounds that turned me onto them.

Really enjoying Follakzoid's II now that I finally have it, it was just sitting at a record store that I don't go to as often so I picked it up.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

April looks set to be a pretty expensive month records wise. Not only have we got Record Store Day to look forward to, all of these are due to be released in April:-

Black Angels - Indigo Meadow
Besnard Lakes - Until In Excess, Imperceptible UFO
Neon Neon - Praxis Makes Perfect
British Sea Power - Machineries Of Joy
Kurt Vile - Walking' On A Pretty Daze

And the one that's going to divide the forum as usual:-

The Flaming Lips - The Terror
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

some other albums announced recently

sigur ros - kveikur (not a big fan.. i always found the vocals to be really cloying.. but i know some people here like them)
deerhunter - monomania
queens of the stone age - like clockwork (not sure if anyone here likes them.. i think they have some cool guitar tones but a little too frat bro rock for me)

im not too impressed with the black angels album unfortunately
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Kurious Oranj wrote:I'm not too impressed with the black angels album unfortunately
I'm hoping that this is just an initial reaction to the album and that it gets better with repeated listens as I'm a massive fan of the Black Angels. I must admit I wasn't blown away by Phosphene Dream when I first heard it but I really like it now. It's got some cracking songs on it (Bad Vibrations, The Sniper and Entrance Song in particular) and the album tracks really worked in amongst their live set of that time. I'm picking up Indigo Meadow tomorrow and, if nothing else, the LP artwork/packaging always impresses :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i'd put it about on par with phosphene so far.. a couple real good songs but large chunks that don't stick with me

i'm sure it will get a lot of play in my car though.. theyre one of my favorite "driving bands" 8)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUENZQ84-E

A taste of Deerhunter's Monomania!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm surprised no one here has picked up on The Holydrug Couple's 'Noctuary' album. I think there's plenty on this board who'd dig it.
Other than the Endless Boogie and Thee Oh Sees albums I've found 2013 mostly disappointing so far. Lots of promise unfulfilled imo.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

apparently there's a new appleseed cast lp on the way in a few weeks. i have high hopes for that.

new kurt vile album stream here: http://www.npr.org/2013/03/31/175497508 ... retty-daze
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just picked up the new Autechre 4xLP set yesterday for a surprisingly reasonably $37 + tax. I really want that new Bowie album, but I was afraid the Autechre would sell out quickly, being a fancy Warp package and all. The new Knife album is out next week and I'm really psyched to get that. Anyone listen to it online yet? Crazy.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

2 0 1 3

Post by BzaInSpace »

Other than the new Primal Scream album which is merely weeks away, I'm really pleased to find out that

IGGY & THE STOOGES have a new album out at the end of the month!!! :D

This is Iggy, James Williamson, Scott Asheton & Mike Watt. It's actually streaming here, but I've avoided listening to more than a minute as pretty poor quality streams are a bit of a shit way to first listen to a record.
BUT saying that, what I heard confirms that the legendary James Williamson has lost none of his chops... and Iggy is doing his The Idiot voice again...

Hoping this will be a blast!

Likewise, Daft Punk have a new album out soon. Heard their new song at the weekend... full-on disco. If the album is anywhere close to Discovery I'm gonna love it.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the new Knife album yet. Aside from the indulgent 18 minute ambient piece, I think it's pretty incredible.

I listened to the new Daft Punk single a few times and was disappointed. Pharrel Williams' vocals are bland and the track doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the expectations generated by the ridiculous hype that's been all over the web for the last few weeks.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote: I listened to the new Daft Punk single a few times and was disappointed. Pharrel Williams' vocals are bland and the track doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the expectations generated by the ridiculous hype that's been all over the web for the last few weeks.
I know... but I hated 'One More Time' at first, for a long time in fact. But I'd heard it basically on the radio and the like. It wasn't til I heard it in the proper environment with the proper level of inebriation that it suddenly clicked. I love that song now and it totally justifies it's place at the beginning of Discovery. This song is no different, but I'm (almost) wiser now. I will probably hear it a lot over the summer, which is great as it's clearly a record for the summertime. It's got just the slightest tinge of melancholy mixed with pure disco shit which they do so well.

And the "ridiculous hype" - really? I don't have the time to spend online that much anymore so it's passed me by completely - I only heard this through a pal's recommendation. The album will be awesome!
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They've been posting lengthy interview clips with all of the collaborators that worked with them on the album. They all drench "the robots" with so much praise ... it's a pretty over-the-top marketing technique. Also, I don't understand why they had to rope all of these famous stars in. Why couldn't they just make the album themselves? It drives me nuts when you look at the tracklisting for an album and every song has something like "feat. Jormos B. Woolburger on Treated Dildo" tacked onto the end of the title.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the new Knife album yet. Aside from the indulgent 18 minute ambient piece, I think it's pretty incredible.
It's an absolutely brilliant album. I wasn't sure what to expect with it being 100 minutes long and having mixed reviews, but it's astoundingly good at times. I also don't think that it's the huge departure some reviewers have been saying it is - anyone who listened to Tomorrow, In A Year would know that Shaking The Habitual is a logical progression from that. I think loads of people just wanted Silent Shout Part II.

Great packaging for the triple vinyl as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

any fans of the Flowers of Hell here? their new album Odes is out soon and it's a covers album. some great song choices including a generous helping of Velvets and Joy Division's Atmosphere.. Lou Reed himself (not known to hand out praise) has given the thumbs up to the bizarre merging of O Superman and Heroin...
however had a listen to a couple of tracks myself and wasn't overly impressed.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:any fans of the Flowers of Hell here? their new album Odes is out soon and it's a covers album. some great song choices including a generous helping of Velvets and Joy Division's Atmosphere.. Lou Reed himself (not known to hand out praise) has given the thumbs up to the bizarre merging of O Superman and Heroin...
Yeah i found it on their bandcamp page just the other day and was a bit disappointed with it. Some classic selections there, but find it didn't really grabme like their first two did. Was hoping for more NEW material from them...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:any fans of the Flowers of Hell here? their new album Odes is out soon and it's a covers album. some great song choices including a generous helping of Velvets and Joy Division's Atmosphere.. Lou Reed himself (not known to hand out praise) has given the thumbs up to the bizarre merging of O Superman and Heroin...
Yeah i found it on their bandcamp page just the other day and was a bit disappointed with it. Some classic selections there, but find it didn't really grabme like their first two did. Was hoping for more NEW material from them...
yeah it's almost like the covers album was a great idea on paper, but the reality isn't that great.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

TheWarmth wrote:They've been posting lengthy interview clips with all of the collaborators that worked with them on the album. They all drench "the robots" with so much praise ... it's a pretty over-the-top marketing technique. Also, I don't understand why they had to rope all of these famous stars in. Why couldn't they just make the album themselves? It drives me nuts when you look at the tracklisting for an album and every song has something like "feat. Jormos B. Woolburger on Treated Dildo" tacked onto the end of the title.
You will like this:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5764cc ... -pizza-guy
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Is there no love for Wolf People on this board? 'Fain' is a step up from 'Steeple' and that was already very good!
They clearly go back to classic rock and folk, some psych elements, and some heavier sounds, complex song constructions too.
I find they just keep getting better and better - this time the rhythm section has been turned up a notch - and are easily among my favourite British bands of recent years. Happy to hear Stuart Maconie's featured them on 6 Music's Freak Zone quite a bit too!
There's a stream at: http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-mus ... n-2-124259
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

This year just gets better and better and is slowly becoming a vintage year. The Hookworms, MBV, Primal Scream and this is certainly new to me but The Flowers of Hell - Odes(dated 2012 and apologies to anyone that already has this!).

Normally cover albums are terrifying bland and un-eventful but this album really works. Atmosphere with a guitar line I could imagine SP3 playing, Run, Run, Run, with a great bass workout, Walk on the Wild Side with 'early' lyrics and a great female voice and finally a perfect blend of Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed with Oh Superheroin.

Apologies again if this has been already mentioned but I have listened to nothing else for the last 4 days.

Rob
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah Wolf People album is decent, saw them live last week, very good and a nice mix of tunes.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

flokie wrote:Is there no love for Wolf People on this board? 'Fain' is a step up from 'Steeple' and that was already very good!
They clearly go back to classic rock and folk, some psych elements, and some heavier sounds, complex song constructions too.
I find they just keep getting better and better - this time the rhythm section has been turned up a notch - and are easily among my favourite British bands of recent years. Happy to hear Stuart Maconie's featured them on 6 Music's Freak Zone quite a bit too!
There's a stream at: http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-mus ... n-2-124259
the albums good , a bit of a grower , would have saw them last weekend at Stag And Dagger if timing and stuff had been better,All Returns is amazing, love when the solo kicks in 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

SpacemanRob wrote:This year just gets better and better and is slowly becoming a vintage year. The Hookworms, MBV, Primal Scream and this is certainly new to me but The Flowers of Hell - Odes(dated 2012 and apologies to anyone that already has this!).

Normally cover albums are terrifying bland and un-eventful but this album really works. Atmosphere with a guitar line I could imagine SP3 playing, Run, Run, Run, with a great bass workout, Walk on the Wild Side with 'early' lyrics and a great female voice and finally a perfect blend of Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed with Oh Superheroin.

Apologies again if this has been already mentioned but I have listened to nothing else for the last 4 days.

Rob
Hi Rob, I mentioned it above, I had a little listen but wasn't too impressed.. might give it another go after your praise! I had the s/t album on the other night which I really enjoyed.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Hi,

I knew I had read the tip somewhere and should have known it was from a fellow board member! Apologies I thought the tip came from Head Heritage.

I am still really enjoying the album. I think I just like the fact they are trying something different and so many cover albums are really dull. I really like 'Run, Run, Run' as a bass heavy interpretation and the guitar line in Atmosphere reminds me of 'Ode to Street Hassle'.

I remember them supporting Sonic years ago and agree the s/t album is still a good listen and on my playlist.

Rob
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just got the new Neon Neon album and love it. It's only a half hour long, which a lot of people are complaining about, but to me the fact that it's so concise feels refreshing. I've heard that the live shows that went down in Cardiff recently were incredible.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Hi Angelsighs,

Just wondered if Odes is growing on you yet? Must be honest I am still really enjoying the album. A really great early morning soundtrack to commuting. However sad that might sound!!

Rob
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

SpacemanRob wrote:Hi Angelsighs,

Just wondered if Odes is growing on you yet? Must be honest I am still really enjoying the album. A really great early morning soundtrack to commuting. However sad that might sound!!

Rob
not had a chance yet... is there anywhere I can stream the whole thing?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

2013 just keeps getting better record wise...Double whammy from Eat Lights;Become Lights coming up...split 12" with Twelve and new LP, Modular Living, on striped vinyl 8)

Check out ELBL's Facebook page or the Great Pop Supplement's site for more info.

For those non-record buying types, you can pick the CD up from Rocket Girl, here:-

http://rocketgirl.co.uk/label/release/rgirl96
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i was thinking things might quiet down a bit but august and september have some great releases coming up- there a new ty segall record coming out in august that looks like it might recall 'goodbye bread' a bit. then there's september with a new mazzy star record and i just found this today-

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15744-star-crawl/

new crystal stilts coming out as well. love this new track.
not sure if there are a lot of people into them here, but their last one 'in love with oblivion' was nearly perfect- plus i saw them live twice that year and they were surprisingly intense. they're turning into one of those bands that i eagerly await each new release.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

no one mentioned Jagwar Ma yet....their elpee Howlin went down a storm at my recent remotely staged annual 'Men's W/e'...very clubby in a kind of late '80's, Manchester, kinda way. can hear a Happy Mondays WFL rip off in there somewhere...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've got a few things on my radar for the coming months:

Belle & Sebastian: The Third Eye Centre (Aug. 27)
Dylan, Bob: Bootleg Series Vol. 10 – Another Self Portrait (August 27)
Factory Floor: Factory Floor (September 9)
Mazzy Star: Seasons Of Your Day (September 24)
Ciaran, Cian: They Are Nothing Without Us (September)
Hecker, Tim: Virgins (Oct. 14)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote: Belle & Sebastian: The Third Eye Centre (Aug. 27)
Ah! I had no idea they were ready with a new album. Great stuff. Factory Floor, definitely want to hear that too...
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new album from The Telescopes 'Harm' coming in September...
https://www.facebook.com/thetelescopesuk

UK dates too, but nowhere near me, boohoo
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Unfortunately, the B&S album is not new material, it's a collection of b-sides from their last two studio albums.

I pre-ordered the Factory Floor LP yesterday. Pretty excited for that one.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I'm looking forward to the new B&S as well, but don't expect too much from it.

Reading what folks are writing on their site it's sometimes made out like a follow up to the magnificent 'Push Barman...' compilation. However given how poor the last album was compared to all the rest (bar 'Storytelling' I guess) it's just never going to be so consistent.

I'm glad of the chance to get a proper copy of the two remixes, which are good but currently I only have low bitrate downloads. Also there are some tracks that were on that TV thing they did to promote 'Write about love' but not on the CD version I have, which I'm keen to get.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I pre-ordered the Factory Floor LP yesterday. Pretty excited for that one.
Yeah, me too. Which one did you pre-order, US or UK? I went for the UK Rough Trade Exclusive yellow vinyl with the cd + bonus cd. Sort of odd that DFA in the States doesn't offer the cd or bonus cd but instead a ltd. badge and the cover/vinyl is pink.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I ordered the FF album through DFA / the pink US version. I figure the shipping from the UK would have made it really pricey.

Mojo Filters: Regarding B&S, I think The Life Pursuit is an amazing album from start to finish. One of their best. Write About Love isn't as good, but it's still got some killer tunes on it. Do you know the song "Your Cover's Blown"? That one is fantastic and originally appeared on an EP they put out after Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I ordered the FF album through DFA / the pink US version. I figure the shipping from the UK would have made it really pricey.
It's actually not bad. My Rough Trade order with shipping cost and vat deductions comes out to about $32.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Crap. Well, maybe you can help me out with a digital copy of the bonus disc. I searched and couldn't find any info as to what's on it.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Really looking forward to this:

http://www.spin.com/articles/black-hear ... er-stream/

Neil Halstead 's new band, "Black Hearted Brother".

Ste
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

stegraham wrote:Really looking forward to this:

http://www.spin.com/articles/black-hear ... er-stream/

Neil Halstead 's new band, "Black Hearted Brother".

Ste
Thank you! I'm really looking forward to this too!

:)

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Cool, this is news to me. Good track. Hope the album holds up. I really wish Mojave 3 would do another album, too.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:Crap. Well, maybe you can help me out with a digital copy of the bonus disc. I searched and couldn't find any info as to what's on it.
Yeah I have no idea either, I'm guessing remixes but who knows. At least you'll get the download the day of release.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote: Mojo Filters: Regarding B&S, I think The Life Pursuit is an amazing album from start to finish. One of their best. Write About Love isn't as good, but it's still got some killer tunes on it. Do you know the song "Your Cover's Blown"? That one is fantastic and originally appeared on an EP they put out after Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
I totally agree, The Life Pursuit is a fantastic album, identifiably B&S but a nice progression from Dear Catastrophe Waitress which was another brilliant progression from the established style of the first four albums. I like some of Write About Love and there are three very good songs on it. However I don't think taking the blueprint from the previous album (recording in LA again with new producer Tony Hoffer) worked the same magic second time round.

I've just been reading about the new record and noticed Stuart Murdoch has described it as the follow-up to Push Barman... on the Q&A on their website. However it has some glaring omissions - most notably from the Books ep you mention. Neither version of Cover is listed from the EP, but an unreleased "Miaoux Miaoux remix" version of Your Covers Blown is shown on Wikipedia, the only place I could find a tracklist. From the look of that while it is advertised as a double LP, the CD is not specified and looks like it could fit one disc. The Wikipedia page mentions a few more notable omissions, most nothing special that I'll miss thankfully.

It seems disingenuous of Stuart to call this the "follow-up" to Push Barman... since that album had so much good unreleased material only available on the original EPs, and had no need of padding out with remixes. I don't object to remixes - quite the contrary, but if there's one band that doesn't lend themselves that well to them it's B&S. Having said that the "Cold Case" remix I have of Didn't See it Coming is as good as Richard X's yet doesn't appear while one of my least favorite B&S songs Eighth Station of the Cross Kebab House is repeated here for some reason - was it only included on the CD of Push Barman... and not the vinyl?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd be very surprised if it's not been mentioned on here previously, but there is a new Carlton Melton on the way (only a year since the last?).. I think it needs reiterating just to flag how awesome the artwork is... :D

http://thequietus.com/articles/12621-ca ... -new-album

also on a different tip, The Band are doing a big boxset of the live shows that 'Rock of Ages' came from (one for you, jadams?)

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... c-box-set/