Alvin Lee - RIP

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Alvin Lee - RIP

Post by redcloud »

Farewell brother. A sad, sad loss.

I was fortunate enough to have seen Alvin around 1986. He would have been about 42....a couple years younger than I am now. He was great.

Ten Years After were one of those bands who plugged away at faithful blues covers played ultra fast and mega loud. But, by 1969 their album 'Ssssh' started to show some creative input from the band. Woodstock obviously catapulted their reputation in the States but it was 'Cricklewood Green', 'Watt' and 'A Space In Time' that really elevated the band to classic status. All three records were recorded between 1970-1971. Finally, the band's influences, ideas and creativity all seemed to gel and come together. All three of these albums are tremendous but 'A Space In Time' is nothing short of extraordinary. The sound of a man wanting to get off smack, writing songs about aliens, addiction, depression and wishing to change the world. But, it also finishes on a positive with the powerful and deeply profound "I've Been There Too" reminding us that all will be ok and that we're not alone in our madness. The album also has one of the most beautiful guitar solos ever committed to tape. The emotion flowing out of the solo in "Let The Sky Fall' is enough to bring a grown man to tears.

Tonight, I will raise a toast to Alvin and I will be playing his records this evening and throughout the weekend.

Peace be with you Alvin and thank you for the music.