Liverpool Psych Festival 2013

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Liverpool Psych Festival 2013

Post by Aquarian-Time »

This was awesome last year and this year promises to be even better. Now spread over two days, the first announcement of bands has arrived and we have Fuzz (Ty Segalls new pysch band), Carlton Melton, Clinic, Psychic Ills to name but a few, I thoroughly reccomend this and may I suggest a potential message board meet up/beers etc for this (bit tricky for the US members of course). The tickets are really cheap (think early bird tkts haver gone, but its about £25) and the venue is great. Get on it people
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Festival 2013

Post by angelsighs »

I could definitely be tempted by this.. the price is superb, and would love to see Carlton Melton again (they blew my head off last year at Supersonic)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm tempted myself. Not sure i'll actually have the time available on those dates though. At the very least i'm hoping some of the bands would make it over to Ireland around that time.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Kicks off about 6pm on the Friday night and from last years experience saturday will be approx 2pm till, well very late 3am perhaps !!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Yes, very much up for this - missed it last year even though it's on the doorstep.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

don't know when this happened but new bands have been added- Peaking Lights, Besnard Lakes, Hookworms, Dead Meadow, White Manna, Moon Duo.. etc etc
even more tempted now!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

looking even better now, sorely tempted... anybody from Scotland thinking about it?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Its awesome isnt it ? Got my ticket in the really early bird stage, so £20. Bargain. Although only 30 mins from Liverpool I have gone for overnighting it as well as its generally a late one. Digs booked. Brig it on. The guy who does the Harvest Sun Promotions puts this on, his finger is very much on the pulse
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:looking even better now, sorely tempted... anybody from Scotland thinking about it?
I wish... :(
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Its awesome isnt it ? Got my ticket in the really early bird stage, so £20. Bargain. Although only 30 mins from Liverpool I have gone for overnighting it as well as its generally a late one. Digs booked. Brig it on. The guy who does the Harvest Sun Promotions puts this on, his finger is very much on the pulse
Dave, can you recommend any accommodation?.. there is a ticket & hotel deal on the website but it's a 4 star hotel, don't need that.. I'm a bit of a tight git!!
also can you tell me what the venue is like where they hold the festival?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I was tempted at the first wave of acts but now this is screaming out at me! Honestly don't know if I can make it though as, sometime in September, I shall be starting college for the first time in my life! :shock:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Wowzers...what a fucking line-up. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Almost gutted I've booked tickets for the ATP weekender now...the Mrs is never going to be happy with me booking another 3 nights away :roll: Hoping a load of these acts are going to find time to make it down to Brighton while they're in the UK.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

[

Dave, can you recommend any accommodation?.. there is a ticket & hotel deal on the website but it's a 4 star hotel, don't need that.. I'm a bit of a tight git!!
also can you tell me what the venue is like where they hold the festival?[/quote]

I got lucky, I have booked into the Castle lodge guest house which is 58 quid for two nights, its about 2.5 miles away, so a short taxi ride in. I booked it ages ago when I got my ticket. Its a twin room and now my mate is on board (as of last night) . I found it on booking.com
Th evenue is great, main room quite spacious, would easily hold over 1000 comfortably, the other room is almost next door in like a basement, trippy lights, good sound probably could squeeze 350 ish in it from memory.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

cool, gonna see if I can make it to this.. watch this space!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

It's a fantastic line up.. I really need to get my summer holidays sorted and see if I can find the time and money for this, as it's highly unlikely all the bands I've never seen but would like to see play Scottish gigs too.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Yep, brilliant line-up. Last year was fantastic, but they have upped the game massively this year. The Trouble In Mind stage is the stuff of dreams. First UK appearances (as far as I am aware) for The Paperhead and The Liminanas.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well, I bit the bullet and got my ticket to this :)
bring it on!!

any lesser known bands down the bill that anyone can recommend? need to do my research :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Mmoss are worth a listen, Lucid Dream, Holydrug Couple and The Liminanas are all great.

Alien Ballroom (formery known as Koolaid, not to be confused with Koolaid Electric Company) They dont play live a great deal, think they are from Liverpool, but there was so much mystery surround their first album, I had it in my head they were American.

Could have passed them in the street many times and I wouldnt have a clue who they were. Big Psych sound though

This festival is possibly the finest line up that seems to be almost assembled purely for my pleasure.

This will be a blast. Loads of like minded souls present and a great vibe if last years anything to go by
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks! will check them out.
I have heard of (but not heard) the Lucid Dream, and the Holydrug Couple. the latter are from Chile I believe, there's also another band called Follakzoid who aren't playing, but by pure luck are doing ATP.. :)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shame I'm gonna be away for this. Tried to book Psychic Ills for Manchester but the fest has an exclusive for that in the area, shame!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Follakzoid are awesome. Looking forward to them at ATP
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Mmoss are worth a listen, Lucid Dream, Holydrug Couple and The Liminanas are all great.

Alien Ballroom (formery known as Koolaid, not to be confused with Koolaid Electric Company) They dont play live a great deal, think they are from Liverpool, but there was so much mystery surround their first album, I had it in my head they were American.

Could have passed them in the street many times and I wouldnt have a clue who they were. Big Psych sound though

This festival is possibly the finest line up that seems to be almost assembled purely for my pleasure.

This will be a blast. Loads of like minded souls present and a great vibe if last years anything to go by
The Alien Ballroom album is excellent. Really weird and out there in places. One of the members is Bob from Probe Records in Liverpool. They play a bit in Liverpool, but I've never managed to catch them, despite several attempts. I understand that Bob has been asking to be the first act on stage so he can spend the rest of the time listening to the other acts and getting himself "properly in the festival mood" :shock: .......
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup, and an extra few acts added (of which I've only heard of the Cosmic Dead)..
plus they are giving away a 7" if you act now and get a weekend ticket... get on it people!

this is going to be a superb weekend. I am going to be exhausted. almost too many acts to check out.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote: plus they are giving away a 7" if you act now and get a weekend ticket... get on it people!
I didn't quite know what to make of that bit - I took it that you got a free 7' if you were to buy a weekend ticket from now - what about if you've already got one? Like a reverse of an early bird ticket?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I guess it's a way of stimulating ticket sales.
I think they are holding some back for sale at the festival too.
the early bird people got the bonus of a bargain price so they can't really complain!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sonic Boom art music installation thing will be there....

http://www.contactmusic.com/press/liver ... -programme
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep this just gets better and better- they have finalised the lineup and added a lot of non-musical stuff. got my hotel and trains sorted the other night so I am raring to go.
it's not clear whether Sonic is performing this thing live as such but certainly seems he will be in attendance.
been doing a little bit of homework on the acts, thought the Holydrug Couple sounded fantastic- proper opiated, languid grooves with a kind of otherworldy feel. Helicon sound great and quite epic too. tried Psychic Ills but they didn't do that much for me.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Should we have a show of hands for this? In 1 week will be in full swing.

Will be there - look forward to speaking to whoever there from here.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I will be there :D . I am fairly excited about the line up to say the least.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep I will be there ( and my mate), we are checking into digs after lunch friday then going to hit a pub for pre festival analysis and probably a tactical bite to eat, purely for soakage purposes !!
We are staying on Shiel Road, L6, so Im thinking of a pre gig bevvy or two in and around the Philarmonic which isnt too far from the venue (ish)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Yep I will be there ( and my mate), we are checking into digs after lunch friday then going to hit a pub for pre festival analysis and probably a tactical bite to eat, purely for soakage purposes !!
We are staying on Shiel Road, L6, so Im thinking of a pre gig bevvy or two in and around the Philarmonic which isnt too far from the venue (ish)
I think we will head for Hope Street also - although don't think I will be getting in until 7 pm.

L6 = Kensington. Are you familiar with the area?
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

L7 is kenny L6 more anfield really, plenty of overlap though