DEMO'd (me)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

DEMO'd (me)

Post by Hofstadter »

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, seems inappropriate to have this next to posts with real music in the titles. Is there somewhere else that would be better?

First thing I've recorded in quite a while (at least that's not a max/msp modular synth emulation, maybe I will post one or two of those in a little bit). Just me on bass(albeit fx'd out)/vocals+some weird noises, hopefully sounds like a little more than that though. Never actually sung before so that's a little weird, have a feeling I made it pretty obvious where I took my cues from... Also not sure I would call it singing.

Super rough, but I sorta like it. If anybody on here wants to add percussion or actual guitars or something, feel free haha that would be rad... maybe it could actually be good, I could just send ya the stems or something... I left a metronome on when I was recording one of the stems, so that I guess adds a little percussive stuff... also wanted to try to get a little bit of a Cheree-styled drum machine in the background via some weird breathing thing, didn't really turn out that way but I still sorta like it, should probably turn it down in the mix though.

Woulda used the four track but it got smashed pretty bad by a friend by accident (why I haven't recorded any dicking around recently) and it's also pretty hard to make stuff with just a bass and no pedals, so I resorted to something I normally despise the idea of, but the ability to layer on digital fx on the different bass tracks helps a lot for making it sound like more though. Will reveal what the recording method was later.

Would really appreciate feedback, know it isn't much but yeah. Figured you guys are people whose musical opinions I value highly. Brutal honesty would also be appreciated. Main concerns - too muddled/vocals okay/too boring&repetitive? Want to get somebody to play actual guitar or keys so I can separate out the three basslines and just have them be bass instead of overlapping and trying to seem like leads, which they aren't. But yeah, when all you own is a bass and a shitty amp, just gotta make do eh.

It's already sorta lo-fi, headphones recommended.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/d1of2gd9gd5juf ... %20vox.mp3