LOOP to reform?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: LOOP to reform?

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:Short UK tour now with Edinburgh, Leeds, Brighton, Bristol and somewhere else I can't remember. Week after ATP.
sorry for not reading your post properly James, I assumed you were talking about Dead Skeletons for some reason, doh!

but yeah, good news... also good news about bigger venues next year. although I will be seeing Loop at ATP obviously, will also be good once they got a few shows under their belt and become a well oiled machine again
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

LOOP SOUNDHEADS - 18th November in London. 2 sets, no support at Netil House E8
blancheflower
Known user

Post by blancheflower »

Post by James T » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 am

LOOP SOUNDHEADS - 18th November in London. 2 sets, no support at Netil House E8

Have you got anymore info on this? Can't find anything on the webpage

Ta
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

From Roberts facebook, ticket details tomorrow. Just billed as SOUNDHEADS, not Loop. Probably to avoid the mad ticket rush...?
blancheflower
Known user

Post by blancheflower »

Thanks, got my tickets. That's made my day... 23 years is long wait.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there's a new interview with Loop here:-

http://www.thedumbingofamerica.net/2013 ... sson-loop/

seems the reunion will be a short lived thing. a coy answer about whether they will go to the US too.

this bit intrigued me, re: the ATP curation:-

At this moment, the bill is still not finalised and we are hoping to pull a real coup on something, but it is unwise to even suggest what that is. I’m just crossing my fingers.

wonder who that is/could have been?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Jesus. This is going to kill me. Whoever it is, hopefully it goes through. My trip over is now finalized and I can't wait to go in three weeks (!!!!).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

unfortunately I think this interview was actually conducted a little while ago- the ATP lineup is complete as it stands. it just interested me who they may have been talking about.
can't believe it's almost November.. can't wait!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well Robert is good friends with Adam from SOTL/Winged Victory, so maybe it was that? For me, Winged Victory....is a great booking! I know it was a bit up in the air as to whether they would play for a while.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, only a few weeks to go to the Loop ATP. Looking forward to hooking up with some forumites for a beer or 2 down there (complete in our matching new Highest Show on Earth t's :wink: ).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah it's gonna be great. Slint first night, Loop second, mogwai third.

Shame there's only 1 Loop set!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I so can't wait! a mere three weeks time
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Looking forward to suiting up on the last night
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Haha I'd missed the last night dress code announcement. I might have to pack a suitcase instead of a smaller travel bag now :)

I hope the stage times get announced soon too - Follakzoid play in Glasgow on Nov. 26th, and I may go to that depending on who they clash with at ATP.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James T wrote:Looking forward to suiting up on the last night
Not trying to be a killjoy or anything, but is anyone really bothering with this? :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Someone has to bring an extra suit for me! There's no way I'm going to carry one around for 2 weeks before ATP...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I will be wearing a suit, but this was already a plan of mine discussed with my buddy adam in brussels. So yeah, the atp dress code kinda ruined it but whatever.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm not suiting up, but not for killjoy reasons, it's just another thing to cart to camber sands!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I had to buy 38 waist. I mean, if you know me, that is a shock.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

At least it's easier for me to just pack a decent dress instead of a formal suit. And it could be worse, they could have wanted us costumed up instead!

I've been wondering, is there anyone else here going who had also been to the first ATP in 2000?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Im going for the full suited and booted look. Waistcoat as well. Maybe even a top hat :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

FFS, there is no chance I'm wearing a suit at a Festival, this is strictly verboten if you are my age. Banned under the "what to wear to a gig protocol of 1977".

However, I am especially not wearing a suit given the quantities of beer consumed with Jon and Dave at the Liverpool Psyche Festival (not mentioning the lunatic wielding cider at 2 am). I'd never fit into it after 3 days unless it came with clown trousers, (and would probably never get the stains out either :lol: ). I shall probably wear my Lil Moxie tee-shirt on the last night as (i) a Spzretent tribute, (ii) it is huge so I'll get into it and (iii) I can't be arsed dressing up, I'll leave that to the skinny lads and lassies....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haha just you and I in the 'miserable gits dressed casually' club then Olan!
that's the other concern.. that the suit will end up very much worse for wear after a number of beers! I am gonna take it easy this time though (he says).. hangovers have got so bad in recent years and I wanna take in all the great music!

I'm not sure when they announce the running times. I have similar concerns to Flokie- both Om and Shellac are playing B'ham the week running up to it, and if they clash with anyone at ATP I could catch them then instead.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No interest in seeing Shellac, are they playing yeah? saw them once and it was shiiiiiite.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

really? I'm surprised. I'm not even the biggest fan of them really (not that interesed in getting any albums), but I've seen them live twice and really enjoyed it. at least it reduces the chance of clashes for you :)
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Maybe even a top hat :)
I'm 5ft4. Do you really want to know what I think of people wearing hats at gigs?! :lol:

Oh and while I hardly listen to them on record, Shellac are fantastic live.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I liked that song end of radio, that is all.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Recieved email today from ATP with ticketing details. Florence, Dave and Jon, you have PM and email. Any other board members going to the gig, please get in touch.

Officially very excited now...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

email returned Olan! getting well excited now. It's sad that it's gonna be the last one. why they've got rid of their flagship event beggars belief but I guess they know best.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

setlist from last night:-

Soundhead
The Nail Will Burn
Fade Out
Breathe Into Me
Arc-Lite
Afterglow
Too Real to Feel
Fix to Fall
Collision
Fever Knife
Blood
Straight to Your Heart
Vapour
Pulse
Burning World
Deadly/Mother Sky
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

....and videos (not mine) http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... house&sm=3

Vocals were more audible live. Except on Mother Sky where I thought it was just an instrumental but the video shows Rob singing.

When Soundhead started and finished I thought it was good but not as good as hoped......but then the opening riff of Nail Will Burn kicked in and it went to another level. Much more muscular and heavy. Great great gig I must say. 23 year wait and not let down whatsover.

Quite surprised it wasn't sold out and you can still buy tickets for the other dates coming up. Would've been nice if the crowd had more 'abandon' about it but then there was a lot of middle age sorts (inc myself of course) who loved it but preferred a head nod to a proper groove on. I did a bit of both. Plenty of love in the air though.

I was stood near the original guitarist in the crowd, can't recall his name. Still got a head of wild ginger hair but looks like his been on a binge since the late 80's. Overheard him saying it was boring, too loud and that he was going for a fag. Not sure if he was taking the piss or not.

As for loudness, they were selling earplugs for a £1 but there wasn't a need for them. Loud but not incredibly so. The only song that made me wince a bit was the guitar soloing away in Mother Sky.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

How were the sets split? I was hoping to hear this is where you end on the upcoming shows,and head on!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The second set began with Collision. Two or three songs after that someone shouted out for Collision to which Rob said "you've already had that one", haha.

Probably about a 20 min break inbetween. I don't think they played for as long as advertised as it was all over well before 11pm. Great setlist I thought. The interview with Rob on the DiS site makes mention of the setlist changing for each show so they'll def mix it up a bit. Very tempted to go see them in Brighton but it's a Thurs night and I live in Essex, work in London.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

johnnyboy wrote:
I was stood near the original guitarist in the crowd, can't recall his name. Still got a head of wild ginger hair but looks like his been on a binge since the late 80's. Overheard him saying it was boring, too loud and that he was going for a fag. Not sure if he was taking the piss or not.
It was this bloke, and he's done a piece for Louder Than War about the experience:

http://louderthanwar.com/former-member- ... reforming/
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Greeny wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
It was this bloke, and he's done a piece for Louder Than War about the experience:

http://louderthanwar.com/former-member- ... reforming/
That's a nice piece actually. When I read your post I though oh God, what is he going to have written, something bitter and cutting? Pleasantly surprised by his words after overhearing him at the gig.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Good review in the Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/13915-loop-live-review

Got my ticket for Bristol today. Can't wait.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Austin Psych Fest... :wink:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

James T wrote:Austin Psych Fest... :wink:
That's what I've been thinking as well. First lineup announcement coming in the next 10 days.
I think I feel it coming on
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

it is happening
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

well color me thick, fantastic! :D
I think I feel it coming on
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Robert posted a link to the site for it. Someone made a comment saying they should play, he made a cheeky comment with a wink. I don't think he would do that if it wasn't the case, he wouldn't be arsed to share it!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Has anyone got their ATP tickets in the post yet, or a booking reference? I'm just filling in the insurance/booking-in forms and just realised I've neither the tickets nor a booking reference :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Has anyone got their ATP tickets in the post yet, or a booking reference? I'm just filling in the insurance/booking-in forms and just realised I've neither the tickets nor a booking reference :?
Check the email with the links to all the pdfs. There is a booking reference on it. Print the whole lot out if in doubt.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers Olan, completely overlooked that...doh!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

stage times have been revealed...relieving lack of clashes for me!

excitement level rising!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:stage times have been revealed...relieving lack of clashes for me!

excitement level rising!!
Ditto. Bit disappointed that Fuck Buttons and especially Kandodo are on so early. FB are a superb act for that late night blast. I've not seen Kandodo live, but they don't strike me as the ideal early afternoon gig, unless its the second afternoon of a 48 hour marathon and I'm not up for that. Otherwise I'm very pleased to see that most of the acts I want to watch are playing at very convenient times.

I was supposed to go to Dead Skeletons tonight, but I'm struck down with a mild case of can't-be-arsed. Will sit home and have a quiet night instead.... :shock: At my age I need to conserve my energy.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah thought Fuck Buttons would be more of a late into the night kinda thing- strange. but yeah, no complaints from me.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Ooh very few clashes indeed - at least until gigs start running over and subsequent stage times pushed back!
I'm also surprised Fuck Buttons are on early.

I'm conveniently working from home today, before getting the sleeper train tonight. Leaving me with plenty of time to pack, with the music on loud on speakers as opposed to earphones in the office. Excitement growing etc... :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

To complete our outpatients quartet, I can also confirm minimal clashes for e. Ty Segall and Fuck Buttons may be sacrificed at this stage, but as flokie quite rightly states, there are going to be changes to timings so will just go with the flow.

I was due at Dead Meadow Monday and had hoped to do Dead Skeletons last night but a combination of CBA and lack of brownie points conspired against me. Very much looking forward to this now though.

May even throw a mix tape together tonight for this mix swap thing they have going on
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Well, it's almost upon us now. Hopefully get a chance to hook up with those of you who are going to this and get to put some faces to names.

Line-up wise, as I don't know any of Shellac's or Slint's material, Friday for me is looking rather weak. Plus the only 2 acts I really want to see on that day (Fuck Buttons and Follakzoid) overlap. I'm another who can't understand why FB's are on so early as well :? Slight clash with Hookworms and White Fence on the Saturday and could be a bit of a scramble at the end of Comet on Fire's set to get a good spot for Loop's headline slot on the main stage. Ty Segall clashing with Goat on the Sunday is a bit disappointing. I've also realised that, although I'm sure I'll discover some new and old music, that there's only 6 or 7 bands over the whole weekend that I really, really want to see. Oh well, it's going to be an amazing weekend I'm sure.

By the way, I've got a logistical question which I wondered if anyone that has been to one of these weekends before can help with. I'm driving down tomorrow with 3 friends in the car with me. Now,the ATP website states that there is free parking onsite but not enough for everyone. They also mention, however, that local shops and pubs are just a short drive from the site. So, how easy is it to drive in and out of the site if I'm lucky enough to secure a parking space?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Robert Hampson of LOOP reviews Velvet Underground -White Light/White Heat reissue for The Quietus,

http://thequietus.com/articles/14117-ve ... eat-review
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Brand new tune 'Precession' : http://www.stereogum.com/1796516/loop-p ... iere/mp3s/

My laptop is acting all weird and i can't play anything on soundcloud or bandcamp so I can't comment on the quality of it.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

http://www.atpfestival.com/store#!/LOOP ... y=12968005

LOOP 'Array 1' 12" EP (Pre-Order)

ATP Recordings are proud to announce 'Array 1' - the brand new 12" EP from LOOP. Each EP comes with a complimentary digital copy of the record, as an uncompressed WAV download.

Due for release worldwide on June 22nd 2015.

PLEASE NOTE: All pre-orders will be shipped to customers to arrive for this date.

Tracklisting

A1. Precession
A1. Aphelion
A3. Coma
B1. Radial
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Despite being a huge fan of Loop, I'm not really digging that one.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full video from 1990. Good quality. Worth a look.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Belting! New album in the works at the moment...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New album 'Sonancy' coming on March 22nd. Pre-order: https://www.musicglue.com/loopband/

New song 'Halo' reminds me of Arc-Lite.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Thanks for the heads up Sunray. I like that track and pre-ordered the deluxe CD.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Nice Fuzz Club bespoke vinyl edition if anyone is interested:

https://fuzzclub.com/products/loop-sona ... ub-edition
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Well I must say this was a nice surprise, was beginning to think new music would never appear then all of a sudden its there without any fanfare, really liking it, the surging bass line in particular,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also thought that a new Loop album perhaps wasn't happening.
It's funny, the press release talks about taking the band in a new direction but to me this just sounds like Loop business as usual! perhaps the rest of the album will be a bit more different.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:04 pm
Superb, on the back of the Halo release last yr I`m totally buzzing for the album next month 8) 8) 8)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 am I also thought that a new Loop album perhaps wasn't happening.
It's funny, the press release talks about taking the band in a new direction but to me this just sounds like Loop business as usual! perhaps the rest of the album will be a bit more different.
Hmm, you say business as usual but to my ears Loop`s music is in 3 quite different album era sounds, anything from each album really would stick out like a proverbial sore thumb if switched to any other album/era. TBF its only incrementally different but to my well trained Loop ears its different but still Loop,
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

What a cock-up this album release is proving.

First Fuzz Club send out their special editions too early, pre-empting the band's own issue (much to the chagrin of Mr Hampson) and now it turns out that some of those copies - my own included :( - instead of being vibrant orange are a kind of dirty green colour!

None look to be left in stock either, so unless they do a repress I'll have to settle for a refund. Which is a shame, because the orange swirl vinyl is really nice when it's actually pressed properly.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sonancy Tour in October:

8th Dublin Whelan’s
9th Deaf institute Manchester
10th Glasgow Room 2
11th Leeds Brudenell
13th Norwich Waterfront
14th London Electric Ballroom

Not played Dublin since McGonagles, Dec. 1990. If it's as good this time around i'm in for a treat :D 8)