LOOP to reform?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

LOOP to reform?

Post by niamhm »

cant say I saw this coming, but some folks seem to think its a goer, that would be ... .. very strange,
http://thequietus.com/articles/12090-lo ... abjous-day
burningwheel
Known user

Re: LOOP to reform?

Post by burningwheel »

It's happening
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Headlining and curating the last ever holiday camp-based ATP Festival:

http://www.atpfestival.com/newsview/1304261021.php

Haven't been to an ATP for years but I must say that one could be a belter...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow.. I could be tempted by either one here. could be last chance to see Television too.

it's so sad to see ATP ending like this... had some great weekends there.
In my opinion they should have got rid of all their other extracurricular stuff, and kept the holiday camp weekenders, not the other way round.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well after the conversation I had with Robert last year I am surprised but also really happy for them. He seemed to really want to but it just seemed a difficult process to go through cause it didn't end great. Barry ATP has asked them many a time so it will be a great event. They're also doing a tour.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Josh actually alludes to that in his statement:

http://thequietus.com/articles/12094-lo ... m-reissues

I guess in one sense, if it ended badly, it's kind of a reason to reform, to get a bit of closure.

exciting hey? I imagine them to be really good and heavy live.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm curious as to how much interest there actually is in this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Loop fan and was lucky enough to catch them first time around but the re-issues of a few years ago didn't seem to spark much of a revival.

I do know that if they come to Ireland i'll most definitely be attending.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I too do wonder about that. I was saying that I would hate for the venues to be pretty large and then only be half full. There's no doubt interest, but in terms of a UK tour I imagine the dates will be limited and spaced out accordingly.I'd say in the US and Japan they will do real well. I'd certainly be open to looking at putting on a Manchester date if it was something they'd be in to. It's difficult though, cause financially I can't compete with venues who book in-house, and I'd hate for it to be at an academy.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

straight to heart, sadly Robert lost his voice the night before, so vocals are kinda weak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8p3JDbWMW4
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That's an odd clip - I am guessing a lot was lost in the recording. Josh's voice (sorry - can't ever think of the guy as Robert) was never that great live - always the weak point in fact - and far better on record. But if I can get to a reformed gig I'd certainly go...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm seriously considering making the trip for this. Loop, Pop Group.....AND it's the last ATP weekender....
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Why are they not doing the weekenders any more? I never went but always thought maybe one day...

I'll go and see Loop again. I saw them several times and was lucky enough to be at the last London show at the National in Kilburn, they delivered all they had hinted at before, amazing gig. Colin Newman played on Arc Lite with them too if my memory serves me right.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That's right Nick - I forgot about Colin Newman. He added a fantastic extra dimension to Arc Lite that night.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Colin Newman from Wire? cool!
I do assume they are going to be playing fairly small venues. I'm sure the fanbase has grown a bit in the years since they split up but nothing on the level of, say, MBV.
I've often wondered what kind of venues Spacemen 3 could play if they ever reformed... I reckon they could go pretty big?
it's weird how some bands who never really had hits per se or had a small fanbase, reform and then come back bigger than ever. I think a lot of it is down to the internet. it has it's down points, but the net also allows people to share music and for fanbases to grow and bands to become 'legendary'.

I'm definitely considering going to one of these last ATP weekends. will see what bands they add, on twitter they have promised lots of 'past curators, ATP faves' etc so i'm hopeful. last chance to have a big party in a holiday camp and some great music! depending on interest from my mates, maybe we could look at an Outpatients chalet? they don't do two berths at Camber which makes it tricky.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the buzz on fb has been very paled in comparison to the mbv album, so i suspect smaller gigs and not that many, at least in the US
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It looks like there's going to be a Spz Outpatients chalet at this ATP! Very excited.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's been revealed that Mogwai are closing the Loop weekend :) which means they will be the last band ever to play at an ATP weekender.

if I wanted to be part of the Outpatients chalet, how long could I leave it? I might wanna see what other bands are added first.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

If there is an Outpatient's Chalet being organised, I would appreciate an invite. I'll even stay off the booze to minimize the chance of snoring & talking shite :D *

* This is probably not going to make any difference as snoring and talking shite are obligatory at my stage in life whether I drink or not....
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I would be well up fot an outpatients chalet. I dont snore, I do talk shit, but maybe the clincher...I'm a bloody good cook !!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think we're all full up unfortunately but yunno, there's plenty of chalets to go round!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ah silly me, missing the boat as usual!
what I'll do is wait for the next announcement of bands and then maybe check back here... maybe we can get a second chalet going if there's enough of us.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new additions to the other one:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Low, Tortoise, Magik Markers, Har Mar Superstar, Scout Niblett, Blanck Mass, Los Planetas, Standstill, Refree and Headbirds

I am really torn which one I want to go to now.. is everyone here pretty much going for the Loop option?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Im well up for the Loop one now it has to be said. A second outpateint chalet ?? whose in ?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Trying to get a few of my mates on board for the Loop weekender as a kind of pre stag-do type affair. Wish they'd added GYBE! and Low to the Loop weekend rather than the other one though. If my mates can get there arses in gear then I'll be there with bells on and it'd be great to catch up with some forumites down there.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

right, I've had a think and decided i'm on board for this!
like Shines I do wish that some of the bands on the other one could be moved across, but you can't have everything!
so who's up for it? guess we will have to see how many people we can get and for what chalet
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

MattBenn wrote:new additions to the Loop ATP, exciting:

Mogwai, Ty Segall, Balam Acab, Dawn Hunger, White Fence, Föllakzoid, New War, Wolf People, Civil Civic, Tall Firs, Kandodo and DJ Jonathan Toubin.
Wouldn't it be just perfect if The Heads played at this. 8) Would love to see another really great headline act announced like Nick Cave, Spiritualized (of course) or SFA. Or do you reckon The Pop Group (who I know sweet FA about) are the third main headliners?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Going to try to sound out a few more pals, but if that's not happening I'd definitely be up for an outpatients chalet! I should know by the end of the week.
I was at the first ATP, only been to a couple of them since, but with that lineup there's no way I'm missing out on that last one :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one flokie.. I have been trying to drum up mates too but don't think I'm gonna have much luck... however I'm not gonna let it stop me this time!
this lineup is perhaps lacking the 'big hitters' that have been added to the other one (Godspeed etc) but I notice that it still has more 'empty slots' to be filled than the other one so I think they will follow....
Ads you should get on this too even if your mates don't get their arses in gear? I doubt The Pop Group are the other headliner btw, although they are a great band- a postpunk mix of dub reggae, free jazz etc (think Pil).. their music is kind of a headfuck but also weirdly danceable too!

shall we leave it a few days then see how many people we can gather together? I'm definitely up for this so pm me people!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've got 5 mates on board for this and have messaged ATP about securing a 6 berth chalet on the instalment plan... All systems go! 8) . Would be good to hook up with you all. Who's definitely going so far and who's wanting to go?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm up for it....
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Count me in, Olan, Im in Liverpool Thursday evening if you wanna hook up for a beer to discuss further ? I have met Angelsighs and can vouch for him as a fine law abiding citizen and all round good chap, I have a mate who may well be up for this (although he is veering towatds the Television one), flokie seems keen as well, so I think we have the makings of a least a four berth ?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Yeah, going to hit the PMs very soon I think.
News today that Shellac should have a new album out this year. I could well see them on that bill too...
http://louderthanwar.com/shellac-to-rel ... this-year/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one, seems like a plan is coming together!
I reckon Shellac are a good bet. they are virtually the ATP houseband. not a huge fan but they do know how to deliver a good set.

you might have to put up with me moaning that I am not getting to see Television, all weekend too :D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Deposit paid on the 6 berth chalet so, unless something dramatic happens between now and then, I'll be there. 8)

So, if Sighs, Flokie, Olan and Aquarian-Time are trying to sort out a chalet, who are in the other Forum chalet?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Still waiting to hear back from a few of James' friends....... and MODLAB!

The first weekend is going to be incredible. I kinda want to go to that one instead.......
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Olan, flokie, angelsighs and my good self look to have plan in place so with a prevailing wind we shall be in attendance.

I'm rather excited by this I must confess
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup seems like it's all go at our end, I didn't wanna get too excited and jinx it before, but now I am pretty psyched!

in an ideal world I'd have enough funds to go to both (I've never seen Television, one of my favourite bands, and I'd also love to see GYBE, Magik Markers etc) but that's life! also, like I said above there are still more slots to be filled on this lineup (compared to the other one) so i will be awaiting further lineup annoucements with baited breath!
which bands are everyone else hoping to be added?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Jon, which weekend are you going to?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's official: James and are going with a few friends to the second weekend!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:Jon, which weekend are you going to?
if all goes to plan (which looks like it is) the second one, with olan, Aquarian Time and flokie.
did you waver and almost think about the first weekend? I thought James would have preferred that one bearing in mind his love of Low?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Almost did the first weekend, but ended up going with the second. Can't wait! Six more months.....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Plenty of Low to keep me fixed in the lead up to ATP anyway! Loop and Pop Group, that's all I need. And Codeine, hoping for Codeine.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new bands to be added to the lineup later on today....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Fingers crossed for some great additions. Would love to see Spectrum added 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pete K appearing at a festival that's been curated by Loop? An interesting concept!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Pete K appearing at a festival that's been curated by Loop? An interesting concept!
Yeah, I know, wishful thinking and all that...but it is the last ever ATP so maybe they'll be a few surprises :wink:

Just seen that Goat have been added to the line-up on the website. That's a definite plus in my book. More of the same please :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

GOAT
SUPERCHUNK
COMETS ON FIRE (reformed for this event)
GIRLS AGAINST BOYS
MICHAEL ROTHER presents the music of Neu! and Harmonia
OM

OMG yes I am soo happy!!! Comets on Fire!!!
plus Om, Michael Rother, Goat... bring it on!!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

This, I confidentally predict will be fantastic....so excited
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Also says on the website:-

So far the line-up looks like this with more to be added including some past ATP curators:

So, potentially we could still have the likes of MBV, Shellac, Nick Cave, Portishead, Dinosaur Jr. and The Dirty Three 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice spot Shines! the first weekend does seem to have a higher number of past curators at this point, while weekend 2 only has Mogwai.
Dirty Three would be superb..
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

SLINT
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup great news, it gets better and better :)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

remember The Bridge benefit album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2MScnRUjWo
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

davedecay wrote:remember The Bridge benefit album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2MScnRUjWo
I picked this up on vinyl yesterday :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

saw the #'d Fade Out remaster/reissue 2x45 LP with the gold cover today at the record shop. tempting.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new bands have been added to the Loop ATP:-

Shellac
The Dismemberment Plan
The Magic Band
Ut
Mick Turner (Dirty Three)
Les Colettes

nothing to really make me go 'wow' there, but Shellac are always good live and I will definitely be interested in seeing Mick Turner,
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Fantastic news! This festival is going to be great. Super pumped!!!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Someone in our chalet can't go anymore, so we're looking for another person. PM me if interested.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Just spotted the Dead Skeletons are playing Manchester and Brighton the lead up to ATP, some maybe just maybe they will be a late addition to the bill. Purely speculating though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I like your thinking Dave. speculation is half of the fun!
I see that both Mike Watt's new band, and Braids, have been moved over to Weekend 2. not complaining, but would have preferred Godspeed or the like :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I hope they do get added to the bill as don't know if I can justify going to see them play in Brighton on the Wednesday and then head off to ATP on Friday for 3 nights. I couldn't do it to Mrs Shines and Shines Jr...or could I :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Short UK tour now with Edinburgh, Leeds, Brighton, Bristol and somewhere else I can't remember. Week after ATP.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

going back to the original Loop topic..

http://thequietus.com/articles/13431-lo ... live-dates
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

December also sees the reissue of classic double LP A Gilded Eternity remastered from analogue via Reactor.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

James T wrote:Short UK tour now with Edinburgh, Leeds, Brighton, Bristol and somewhere else I can't remember. Week after ATP.
2 tickets bought for Edinburgh, that was a nice surprise when I noticed the announcement on my f/b news feed (yes it has some uses) didn`t really expect to see them till next year now if at all , as the extent of the reformation/ touring was still pretty vague , but it seems I`ll get a chance to see them in a bigger venue in Glasgow next year as well so that's `double double good ` as Shaun Ryder might have said, puts thoughts of In Utero Vinyl at £40 on the back burner though , every silver lining has a cloud or something like that,