Ty Segall/Fuzz

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Ty Segall/Fuzz

Post by Laz69 »

Not sure if many are aware of this Ty Segall project, but they recently played a set for Burger Records which has been released online. Anyone who likes their fuzz thick should enjoy this. Links below to the event itself and also to the audio of their set.

Fuzz set:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xuedl8

Event review:
http://nomorethanabigcrashingbeathappen ... a-ana.html
niamhm
Known user

Re: Ty Segall/Fuzz

Post by niamhm »

Will give that a listen later, Fuzz seem to be billed as one of the headliners at the Liverpool Psychedelic Festival later this year , would love to go to that, just need to persuade someone else its a good idea now...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Think I posted about fuzz in the gigs thread around new year's - in short, really fun, not that different from a normal Ty show other than putting him on drums, although I have a feeling it might have shaped up into something a lot more in the past few months and will continue to do so in the coming months.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I think the show above has a huge Sabbath sound/style to it... not sure if they sounded like that previously (this is my first real listen to them) and i certainly don't hear much of a Sabbath influence in Ty Segall's usual stuff.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just had a listen to that live set. Really enjoyed it, nice and dirty. Cheers Laz! :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

The 7" on Trouble In Mind is fantastic, proper MC5/Troggs feel to it in places. I think I was lucky enough to get one of the blue vinyl editions, which didn't hang around too long.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Quite like the new 7' single out on drag city (feel/fakir). Anyone heard anything about when the albums due out?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone familiar with Meatbodies? Main man is the bass player from Fuzz.

Discovered them by chance yesterday when perusing the gig listings. I noticed that a local promoter, who has got some decent acts over in the past, was putting them on in April. They're playing some British gigs late March too.

Definite Fuzz / Thee Oh Sees action going on here.

I imagine johnnyboy, niamhm, simonkeeping and a few other forumites will find to much to love.

Only one album and that was released last year:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote:Anyone familiar with Meatbodies? Main man is the bass player from Fuzz.

Discovered them by chance yesterday when perusing the gig listings. I noticed that a local promoter, who has got some decent acts over in the past, was putting them on in April. They're playing some British gigs late March too.

Definite Fuzz / Thee Oh Sees action going on here.

I imagine johnnyboy, niamhm, simonkeeping and a few other forumites will find to much to love.

Only one album and that was released last year:
Yeah, I remember listening to this one online but never got round to buying it as I thought it sounded way too much like Ty and Fuzz and not enough Oh Sees. Listening again now and it's a pretty good blast of garage noise so may well pick it up if I can get it on the cheap. I must admit to much preferring Thee Oh Sees over Ty Segal, Fuzz and the likes of Wand. I've only got one Ty related album, Manipulator, but don't play it too often as I find him quite samey and unsubtle/impenetrable at times, esp Fuzz and Wand, the thrash just doesn't groove as much as Thee Oh Sees.
EDIT - cranking up the volume on my headphones for another listen, pretty cool album.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

In the last 2-3 years the one artist who seems to keep delivering is Ty. His work rate is exceptional and the quality is always high. I saw him play at the end of the Manipulator tour at the Electric Ballroom and he destroyed the place. I know alot of people make bold claims and then when you witness the bands first hand they don't deliver but that's definitely not the the case here, he knows how to play live! He also loves rock and roll and no matter how corny or passe' you think that is it means something to me. He understands the myth making, the power of the music and also quite uniquely for such a young artist - not being all over the internet posting stuff. And that at its heart rock and roll is music for outsiders, weirdo's and freaks - but having spoken to Chad and Charlie from Fuzz its not a conscious thing to do something different or raw or dirty, its just what he does, which makes it far cooler. (Another) new album is due in Jan so looking forward to seeing what direction this one goes in.

I think for me the age of the big name bands has kind of passed, Most of the gigs I go to are by comparison smaller names in smaller venues. Plus pretty much any band johnnyboy mentions now gets some serious investigation from me - Thanks man!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:In the last 2-3 years the one artist who seems to keep delivering is Ty. His work rate is exceptional and the quality is always high. I saw him play at the end of the Manipulator tour at the Electric Ballroom and he destroyed the place. I know alot of people make bold claims and then when you witness the bands first hand they don't deliver but that's definitely not the the case here, he knows how to play live! He also loves rock and roll and no matter how corny or passe' you think that is it means something to me. He understands the myth making, the power of the music and also quite uniquely for such a young artist - not being all over the internet posting stuff. And that at its heart rock and roll is music for outsiders, weirdo's and freaks - but having spoken to Chad and Charlie from Fuzz its not a conscious thing to do something different or raw or dirty, its just what he does, which makes it far cooler. (Another) new album is due in Jan so looking forward to seeing what direction this one goes in.

I think for me the age of the big name bands has kind of passed, Most of the gigs I go to are by comparison smaller names in smaller venues. Plus pretty much any band johnnyboy mentions now gets some serious investigation from me - Thanks man!
I was reading that thinking "great words man!" and then noticed the shout out to me right at the very end, bless ya, cheers amigo.

Funnily enough since this thread popped up again I've been listening to a lot of his stuff on my headphones at work. I have Manipulator which is a very groovy album. I think I may have skipped through his albums in the past, online, without giving them the proper attention they deserve. Playing the likes of Fuzz yesterday was a great experience, trying not to headbang too much at my desk. There's a massive Blue Cheer thing going on with that one, huge, solid, dirty riffs. Brilliant. Reckon I'll have to purchase that one and would love to see them play live, or Ty in any of his creations. The Meatbodies album is really great too. I did give Slaughterhouse a go earlier but switched off after a while.

What's your favourite album of his Simon? In my head, and from what I've read, I can see me getting Twins next, after the Fuzz album. I love his work rate, colour vinyls, limited runs, very much like John Dwyer on that front. What you said about Ty can be said about him too I reckon. It's fantastic having people like this to listen to and to follow. Small venues are where it's at gig wise. I'm not a fan of larger scale venues. Some bands and artists I really dig, like Neil Young for example, have gigs at the O2 but I just can't bring myself to go to them, on cost alone much of the time, but mainly due to the distance between performer and fan.

Anyways, Ty. I'll be digging a lot deeper now.

Have you heard the latest Kelley Stoltz album? Reckon you'd like that one, out on Castle Face records.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!x
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I do like a lot of Ty Segal & related music`s but tbh his prolific is too much for me to keep up with release by release - it would cost a small fortune as well - so I find myself cherry picking the releases I fancy and haven't be landed with a stinker yet, I may go back an pick some bits or pieces up later, but I would recommend the Ty Segal & White Fence - Hair release as being pretty awesome. I must admit to being slightly like Johnnyboy was with Ty Segal where Thee Oh Sees are concerned, I did love the latest Thee Oh Sees album but find the back catalogue to be a touch intimidating as to where the f#ck to start,

I would also say Wand -1000 Days the most recent album is less heavy/thrashy than Golem, and well worth checking out, one of my fav. albums this year easily, anyway didn`t think a Destruction Unit man would have a problem with a bit of thrash ;)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Yeah man, do it! 'Twins' is an absolute corker of an album! for me it was his coming of age album, The whole thing is great.

In terms of a favorite it kind of changes you know? Manipulator is a classic but isn't too representative of the rest of his work which is less refined and dirtier. Twins is really quite special as I mentioned above, kind of Stooges meets Sabbath. Bridget from Thee Oh See's does some vocals on one of the tracks. Sleeper was his acoustic album which I stupidly dismissed at the time of its release but it is beautiful. T-Rex style acoustic ballads but with a hint of menace at times. Slaughterhouse is heavy but it's great - it's not a solo album is was made with his touring band. A fact which I always find just mind blowing? He made the rest of those albums by and large by himself (Charlie from Fuzz sometimes makes an appearance). I cannot comprehend how you can make music sound as loose and fluid as he does when you're not recording as a band. And he's so consistent in that they all sound like 1st or second take band recordings to me. Apparently he makes notes whilst hes recording such as 'noise blast at 23 seconds'. The guy is a genius. Definitely dig into to his back catalogue, Mr Face Ep is well worth checking out too - more 'Twins' sounding magic. Ty Rex (recently reissued, although I stupidly payed silly money for an original back in the summer) is great. His cover album of classic T-Rex tracks. The Slider is what first opened my eyes to his work way back. Cover versions fall into 3 categories for me. 1). Shite 2). Okay, but not as good at the original and 3). Something which shows a complete understanding of the song/artist and from that takes it somewhere beautiful and special. The last of these sums up the whole album. Very few people could cover T-Rex and do it any justice, but he does and its pretty special. There's this undefined magic/feel/sound/energy to that album which is almost impossible to put into words - his take on the Slider is sublime. I like to think it stems from his complete love and infatuation with Rock and Roll. He even spits out a cover of 20th Century Boy which is both punk and glam in equal portions.

Sorry, I could waffle on all day about him.

Up until recently I felt that I was notoriously late to the party with this kind of stuff, but, like I said earlier on in the thread I've kind of given up on 'big bands' and have tried to submerge myself in the mucky underbelly of Rock and roll. Its paid off.

Kelley Stoltz is a name I've not heard but I am on my way to Castleface now. Incidentally, did you see Castleface send their albums free to inmates in the USA? Very cool!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Great words Simon and Niamhm! I love seeing passion in peoples words on here.

I see Ty has another new album on it's way, Emotional Mugger, which gets a rave review in this months Uncut. I'll go with Twins for the time being, once the festive money situation levels itself out a bit. Pretty sure I have some vinyl on order that has yet to arrive.

Niamhm, with Thee Oh Sees I started off with Putrifiers II which I really love. After that I got Carrion Crawler/The Dream > Help > Warm Slime > Floating Coffin > which I'd say are all fantastic albums, along with the new one too. I've a couple of others of theirs but these ones you can't go wrong with and are pretty much essential.

I got the Kelley Stoltz album on vinyl for Christmas and it's really good, definitely recommend a purchase Simon. I didn't know that about Castleface and the inmates, such a cool idea!

As for D-Unit and the concept of 'thrash', I think D-Unit are on a different level to the likes of Wand. Not saying they're better as I really haven't listened to Wand properly. Well, actually, I'll stick my neck on the line and say yeah, they're a better band in my eyes/ears, hehe, may as well be honest and not sit on the fence. Two different sounds though, even if they do get put in the 'psych' scene together. I'll give 1000 Days a listen, and that Hair album too.

Cheers guys. Happy New Year.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Gotta say I found Wand's 1000 Days to be disappointing after the previous two albums, especially Golem which was probably my album of the year.
After saying a number of times on this board that Wand are the band Tame Impala could've been I thought 1000 Days finally strayed far too close to the Tame Impala path for my liking. I'll give it another listen though.

Re. Thee Oh Sees, I don't think you can wrong with any of their material from 'The Masters Bedroom...' onwards.

Destruction Unit? The albums do lose their appeal after a while, just get a bit boring. I did enjoy them at LPF though where they were hindered by atrocious sound rather than a poor performance.

Kelley Stoltz played Dublin a few months ago. Was considering going but a few youtube plays put me off. No idea if they were represenative of his sound but what I heard was all a bit lightweight. Further investigation required I suppose.

And Ty himself? Other than Fuzz I've not really delved into the back catalogue. I have it all on a hard drive but trying to find the time to actually listen to any of it is the problem :roll:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Totally agree Sunray, from what I've heard of 1000 Days its way too synthy for me. There's one track halfway through that's a belter but the rest is a bit comme ci, comme ça (as my french teacher used to say).

I've heard one track of Kelley Stoltz and I really liked it. Had a bit of Malice to it. nice.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote:Anyone familiar with Meatbodies? Main man is the bass player from Fuzz.
Where are you based Sunray? Just seen that they're playing the 100 Club in London on 28th March, which is a really small venue. https://www.gigantic.com/meatbodies-100 ... 3-28-19-30 . Quite tempted by it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

To those following this thread i'd like to recommend Running's new album 'Wake Up Applauding'.

It's got nothing to do with Ty but is on the Castle Face label and has that kinda punk-psych vibe to it.
I figured this would be the best place to grab your attention :)

It can be found online or I can sort out a link for anyone interested.

@Johnny, just noticed your previous post; i'm in Dublin and will be catching them in April.