Jeff Hanneman (Slayer) - RIP

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Jeff Hanneman (Slayer) - RIP

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fucking hell - gone at 49! By complications arising from a spider bite. That's seriously crazy.

Jeff was an absolute master at guitar at its most brutal, heavy and intense yet with an economy of delivery and a razor sharp accuracy. Slayer transcend any bullshit labels or genres that they have been lumped in with over the years - those guys are far beyond that - and a hell of a lot of that was down to Jeff's songwriting skills as well as his deadly guitar abilities. For me, Slayer are pretty much unique and while they have often been imitated, and spawned a legion of supposedly 'influenced' bands, nobody and I mean nobody, comes close. There's some weird kind of heavy power present when those guys play together and the energy, adrenaline and bizarre euphoria they create is just something else.

Can't see them carrying on without him. Gutted...

Weekend selection so far has comprised Reign In Blood and Season in The Abyss,

Coming up: Divine Intervention and Decade of Aggression.
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Jeff Hanneman (Slayer) - RIP

Post by runcible »

Blimey - that's sad. I flirted with Slayer a long time ago - South of Heaven I think - and enjoyed the power and raw nature of that album. Some amazing guitar playing though...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Not a band or genre of music that I ever got into but for better or worse, I suppose, it was Slayer and Venom who spawned a whole new sub category of metal with their fast as lightening, heavy riffage and black/satanic imagery and pushed it into uncharted territory. For that alone he was a bit of a trailblazer.

What a strange and tragic death at an early age.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I went thru a phase with early-mid slayer (South of Heaven / Seasons in the Abyss) which makes for great driving around music when you need an energy kick.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Yep. Used to love a bit of Slayer. Sad to hear this
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes