The Soup Dragons

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian
Known user

The Soup Dragons

Post by Ian »

Back in 1990, I really loved Lovegod. (Yes, I know. But I don't care.) Not that keen these days, but I recently played the single version of Backwards Dog, and I still rate that. It was clearly released before someone told them to go baggy.

This made me recall a rumour that the album was originally released as a rock album, and then remixed and reissued after I'm Free was a hit. Is this actually true? And if so, can anyone point me at anywhere where I can hear the original?

Thanks!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Laz69
Known user

Re: The Soup Dragons

Post by Laz69 »

Ian, my mate, Paul Quinn, was their drummer. I will ask and get back to you.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Cheers Laz - would love to hear a raw version of this album (and I guess there'd be more of Paul on in too, rather than the samples and loops that were obligatory at the time).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ian, just got a message back from Paul:
1-0 to your friend James! It was released then recalled and I'm Free was put on it then rereleased.

I don't know if it's available now in it's original format, i'll check and see if i've a copy before it was remixed.
Will keep you posted.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm sure the copy of Lovegod I had - but sold many years ago - didn't have I'm Free on it and was not very dance-orientated. All I have is a couple of 12"s from then. I did see them after I'm Free came out and the place was absolutely ram-packed at the Astoria. I thought they were going to be massive but they just vanished after that.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I spoke to Paul recently about a 20th Anniversary CD being released and there was already talk of a big US tour based on their previous reputation. Paul said the US were mad on them back in the day. Think he said they had toured with Bush or something back in the day and had went down a storm on that tour.

Paul is a brilliant guy and a fabulous songwriter and musician in his own right. Nothing would please me more to see him get something good out of a reunion.
Last edited by Laz69 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Jeez! I can remember them on Letterman...

Would love to see them again.

Thanks for the memories.

M
Design.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Been thinking more about this today... I thought I remembered the original title of the album as Deep Trash, although I know it was never released under that title. But it's impossible to search under that title, because it just throws up references to their single Crotch Deep Trash. However... this version of the video for Crotch Deep Trash on YouTube says that it is from the album Deep Trash!

I'm guessing that this is what the album was going to be called, before the change to Lovegod. What I really want to know is if the original Lovegod release was identical to the planned Deep Trash, or if there had already been a partial baggy makeover, which the re-release with I'm Free added just completed. I want to hear the pre-baggy version! Laz, any chance of asking Paul if he remembers any of this, or if there might be a version of Deep Trash anywhere? Even if it's just a cassette pre-release?

Anyone wondering why I care so much about this should check out the difference between the original Backwards Dog and the version that ended up of Lovegod, the latter of which is more than a bit feeble by comparison.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Questions asked Ian... will get back to you as soon as i hear back.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ian... Paul's response...
To my knowledge the album was always Lovegod, Crotch Deep Trash was a single. The remixed album was danced up a bit from the original which was very much rock n roll. You'll not find anything referring to the original release as it was recalled then deleted before I'm Free was put on it. I'll have a search when i have time buddy, my recollection was that it was on a cassette!!!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Thanks a lot Laz - hope something turns up.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Both editions are listed on Discogs. The LP I had - not a CD or cassette - definitely had no I'm Free on it and started with Mother Universe which was most certainly rock as opposed to baggy.But I got rid of it sadly...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i only liked the early buzzcocky stuff. i'm free bored me, pus it was such hit in the US, they was a bad thing imo
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Laz, was Paul in a band called Primary5?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yep... his solo career was with The Primary 5. Initially started with a friend, he eventually took then band on himself and carried it forth for a few years/albums.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Orbital used to play the flesh trombone in Primary 5.

So I heard anyways... :wink:
O P 8