Nick Cave...& the Bad Seeds

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

princeskinny
Known user

Nick Cave...& the Bad Seeds

Post by princeskinny »

So I thought I'd put together a little compilation of my favourite Ncik Cave & the Bad Seeds tunes for a friend, but also include some of the work from the Bad Seed member's affiliated groups; Dirty Three, Gallon Drunk, Adamson's solo work, the soundtrack stuff like 'The Proposition' , 'Jesse James' etc, so I thought I'd open it up to all.....

I don't have all of Nick Cave's albums, but consider 'Abattior Blues/Lyre' a masterpiece, and I love 'Boatman's Call'. The new album is great as well. But what else is worth exploring?

And likewise for the affiliated groups listed above....any suggestions or starting points? I have some, but thought a wider discussion would be good for all......
James T
Known user

Re: Nick Cave...& the Bad Seeds

Post by James T »

Let Love In, Murder Ballads, Your Funeral.... You have those surely?
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

So, I know Let Love in a little, but rather shamefully a lot of his back catalogue I don't know....for years he kind of past me by (I know, I know...), so this was kind of the reason for posting this topic.......help...and not just on Nick Cave, but like I say, anything affiliated to him or any of the Bad Seeds....
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

MattBenn wrote:Grinderman > Bad Seeds
So wrong.

Your Funeral... My Trial
Tender Prey
No More Shall We Part

All of these are essential, better than anything aforementioned (especially fucking Grinderman).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

there isn't a bad seeds album that doesn't have at least three great songs on it.

this sounds like a pretty ambitious project- good luck- that's a lot of bases to cover.
if i were you i'd just pick a song off every bad seeds album.

if you're up for considering some live versions 'god is in the house' is a goldmine. that version of 'saint huck' is the best.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOt_qutZ_0

from 1989 album 'The Bridge-A Tribute To Neil Young'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'd love to get a copy of this compilation when it's done. I'm pretty new to Nick Cave and his back catalog is incredibly intimidating.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Here are my choices for the Nick Cave neophyte. Chronological, ballad-heavy with some obvious choices. No Nocturama or Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, either.

1. Jennifer's Veil (The Birthday Party's Mutiny)
2. From Her To Eternity (From Her To Eternity)
3. Knockin' On Joe (The Firstborn Is Dead)
4. Long Black Veil (Kicking Against The Pricks)
5. Sad Waters (Your Funeral... My Trial)
6. Your Funeral, My Trial (Your Funeral... My Trial)
7. Watching Alice (Tender Prey)
8. Slowly Goes The Night (Tender Prey)
9. The Ship Song (The Good Son)
10. Straight To You (Henry's Dream)
11. Nobody's Baby Now (Let Love In)
12. Henry Lee (Murder Ballads)
13. Into My Arms (The Boatman's Call)
14. (Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For? (The Boatman's Call)
15. Love Letter (No More Shall We Part)
16. Breathless (Abbatoir Blues)
17. Nature Boy (The Lyre Of Orpheus)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Here's a link to a Nick Cave gig I've got that a bunch of you may be interested in

Nick Cave - Live @ Brussels Vorst National 21.05.08
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6np4b8
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Oh, sorry and also a Flaming Stars compilation for the excellent Gallon Drunk spin off of sorts as they feature Max Décharné

Flaming Stars – Bring Me the Rest of Alfredo Garcia (Singles 1995-1996
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kd23s6
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

For the Cave & Ellis soundtrack work, White Lunar is a great compilation giving an overview of it all.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

My two fave NC&TBS songs are, Who'll Build A Box For Black Paul which is on From Her To Eternity and Knockin' On Joe which is from The First Born Is Dead. However I personally think the best complete album is No More Shall We Part.

Come Into My Sleep is the best b-side.

His version of J't'aime with Anita Lane is fucking hilarious.

If the acoustic version of The Mercy Seat doesn't bring a tear to your eye then seek immediate help.

The cover of Wonderful World that he did with Shane MacGowan is comedy karaoke, but not in a good way.

The duet he did with Sam Brown, The Kiss Of Love, is a straight up pop song and personally I love it.

Little Janeys Gone is his most screamingly funny.

I could go on for hours...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

runaway wrote:....better than anything aforementioned (especially fucking Grinderman).
I think I love you. Are we the only people that hated Grinderman?
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

gassjack wrote:
runaway wrote:....better than anything aforementioned (especially fucking Grinderman).
I think I love you. Are we the only people that hated Grinderman?
I don't think so. On some of the Nick Cave forums there seemed to be a contingent of long-time fans who disliked DLD!!! and Grinderman. The new album is a redemption of sorts.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

oh that's good. I tend to stay away from Nick Cave forums - they used to be a vicious bunch!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

They were, by some distance, the best band of the weekend at Glastonbury. You can watch the set here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/acts/ar6wrz#p01c4fml
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm gutted no ones really been bigging up The Good Son or Henry's Dream as I bought these two albums on vinyl last week. They are both in pretty much mint condition too, almost look unplayed. The guy I bought them from had just forked out on buying someone's whole record collection and pretty much ever record was in near mint condition. He also had "From Her To Eternity", "The Firstborn is Dead", "Your Funeral...My Trial" and "Tender Prey" going too as part of the same collection, again in pristine condition. He did me a bit of a deal as a regular customer and I got the two I wanted for £40 for the pair but think he'd like to get a lot more for those other 3 if he can. Not sure why I picked the 2 I did...I guess those were the 2 who's names I recognised the most, not being a true Cave aficiando.

Anyway, I love these two and I can certainly give his newest album a massive thumbs up too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runaway wrote:
MattBenn wrote:Grinderman > Bad Seeds
All of these are essential, better than anything aforementioned (especially fucking Grinderman).
Really? I think Grinderman are ace. 'No Pussy Blues?' For me that's the best Cave related thing ever. Well, maybe. Grinderman II? Amazing album. It's just ferocious. The guitar sound Warren Ellis gets is like Ron Asheton turned up to 12. Gutted I never saw Grinderman live as they were meant to be amazing.

As far as Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, sorta passed me by until a chance attendance at a Glasgow gig around Abbatoir Blues time. That gig was phenomenal. I dunno what I expected but I didn't think there would be so much energy on stage. I really like that album anyway. I actually have Let Love In somewhere but I'm not that familiar with it. Dig, Lazarus, Dig was OK. I'd definitely rate the first Grinderman record over that one though. And the rest?

Bar the occasional odd song ('Bromption Oratory', 'Red Right Hand') I'm a novice here too. I did like the seemingly neverending song 'Babe I'm On Fire'. The album wasn't that great though.

Oh yeah, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis (& Friends) Lawless OST from last year is brilliant. Roping in Mark Lanegan to cover 'White Light/White Heat' in a near-bluegrass style? I'll have me some of that...
O P 8
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

The Good Son is the most solid Nick Cave album.

Grinderman is loud for the sake of being loud (much like Nick's current live shows), though I do find them to be decent releases. The nuances of the Bargeld and Harvey line-up would build up to strength, instead of just slamming it out there--one of the main reasons Harvey left.

Top albums:

The Good Son
Your Funeral... My Trial
Let Love In
The Boatman's Call
Henry's Dream
Live Seeds
The Firstborn is Dead
Murder Ballads
Tender Prey
No More Shall We Part

Honorary Mention:

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (should've been a single album--take tracks 1-5 from Abattoir, then tracks 5-8 of Lyre, and you have a solid Bad Seeds Album)

Dig and Push are laughable.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Multi wrote:The Good Son is the most solid Nick Cave album.

Grinderman is loud for the sake of being loud (much like Nick's current live shows), though I do find them to be decent releases. The nuances of the Bargeld and Harvey line-up would build up to strength, instead of just slamming it out there--one of the main reasons Harvey left.

Top albums:

The Good Son
Your Funeral... My Trial
Let Love In
The Boatman's Call
Henry's Dream
Live Seeds
The Firstborn is Dead
Murder Ballads
Tender Prey
No More Shall We Part

Honorary Mention:

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (should've been a single album--take tracks 1-5 from Abattoir, then tracks 5-8 of Lyre, and you have a solid Bad Seeds Album)

I've never found a consensus when it comes to Nick Cave, and I don't think I'll find it here either (which is one of the things I like about him) - I'd say The Good Son was the weakest album of the first decade of the Bad Seeds, it feels slightly transitional to me, although I do enjoy it. Tender Prey would be the high point of that period for me.

I also really love Push The Sky Away, it's got this slightly fragile, fucked-up feel, as if it's not even been finished - like the tapes have been found in an abandoned studio (I mean all of this in the best way possible).

As I say though, I've never met any two people with exactly the same opinions about them, and regularly speak to people with wildly different opinions on best and worst albums, etc.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nick Cave fans should tune in to BBC4 at 9pm on Friday 10 Dec. as they are showing Idiot Prayer followed by the BBC4 Sessions.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Multi wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm The Good Son is the most solid Nick Cave album.

Top albums:

The Good Son
Your Funeral... My Trial
Let Love In
The Boatman's Call
Henry's Dream
Live Seeds
The Firstborn is Dead
Murder Ballads
Tender Prey
No More Shall We Part

Honorary Mention:

wow, I wrote this in 2013 and I shockingly stand by it.. except that Dig has grown on me a bit.

Bad Seeds should've ended when Harvey left and Nick should've just gone straight solo with revolving members.