Songs that "rip off" Spiritualized

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

Songs that "rip off" Spiritualized

Post by mc »

Bored, so I thought I'd start a thread about songs that "rip off" Spiritualized. There are songs that sound like they've been influenced or informed by the Spz sound, and then there are songs that veer way beyond homage and into pastiche. Off the top of my head, I can think of two obvious steals:

Doves - Winter Hill
Death In Vegas - Girls

The Doves song in particular is so obviously based on 'Electric Mainline' I burst out laughing the first time I heard it. Both are good songs, mind :)

Examples I can think of that are closer to "homage" than "rip-off", but still suspiciously Spz-like include:

The Chemical Brothers - The Sunshine Underground (I'm sure I once saw an interview when they admitted as much)
Sigur Rós - Hafsól (the outro on the Hvarf version, and live)

Anybody got any others? :D
ravench
Known user

Re: Songs that "rip off" Spiritualized

Post by ravench »

Speck Mountain -Backsliding sounds like the intro of I think I am in love.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Hows about Reverberation's Blue Stereo Music. It's a whole album worth of Spz rip-off's :D
see http://youtu.be/VYGMrFRtym8 for instance
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Verve - See You In The Next One
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

beaker73 wrote:Hows about Reverberation's Blue Stereo Music. It's a whole album worth of Spz rip-off's :D
see http://youtu.be/VYGMrFRtym8 for instance
o_O

My God, that's uncanny! The guitar tone is identical, and he's even trying to sing like Jase :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Reverberation was released by 3rd Stone in the UK who have obvious ties to the other dude in Spacemen 3. I find the record enjoyable if not a little naive. They also had an amazing 2 track CD single on Dedicated that was really long. Two tracks clocking in at somewhere near 25 minutes. http://www.discogs.com/Reverberation-So ... ase/855477
They toured the US one summer. Me and about 10 other people saw them on the 4th of July in Detroit one year. I still have the long sleeve t shirt I bought at the show. Longest arms on a t shirt ever.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Blur - Tender.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think on Tender they were definitely aware of something like that, but it's a great great song. (for me, anyway)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Mogwai also accused them of ripping off Spiritualized in 'Tender' during their 'Blur: Are Shite' ranting around the time of CODY. Personally, I don't really see much resemblance save for the use of the London Community Gospel Choir. Never mind, it's a great song.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BRMC - Gospel Song
Anything by Phaser

And I'm not sure I agree with Runcible re: See You In The Next One (Have A Good Time)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

lou reed- street hassle 8)
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:And I'm not sure I agree with Runcible re: See You In The Next One (Have A Good Time)
Well at the time Verve had played with Spiritualized quite a bit and in a few articles in the press See You In The Next One was generally acknowledged as being a mini-Spz tribute although the band denied it. To my amazement I've found a reference to it in the original NME review of A Storm In Heaven (back in the days when the NME was worth something of course!):
http://www.astorminheaven.com/press/nme-15may93-2.html

And it sounds very Spiritualized too which I guess is the main thing. Comparisons between the 2 bands - and that song - have been discussed before here anyway:
http://forum.spiritualized.me/viewtopic ... 5&start=45
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

That was an interesting trip down memory lane, thanks! I do miss twentysixdollars' contributions to the board. A gentleman and a scholar. And I too find myself listening to (The) Verve much more than Spiritualized these days. Now I'm imagining Jason, Doggen and McCabe on stage together... :shock:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I got that feeling when I saw $26 words in there. He is sorely missed by many, me included.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

I always thought Spread Your Love by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club was a pretty obvious homage to early Spiritualized. Along with much of Howl, which kind of feels like latter day gospel/blues-oriented Spiritualized.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Quite enjoyed listening to some of these tunes, particularly Chemical Brothers, Death in Vegas and Speck Mountain.

I don't quite agree with See You in the Next One sounding very spiritualized, I don't think it has the intricacy of a LGM tune, just because its played slow doesn't make it sound like spz. It just sounds like a mellow Verve track to me.

Although ironically I think I remember reading the NME review storm in heaven, and bought the album specifically because Spiritualized were mentioned in the review. (And while I really liked the album, I was disappointed that that track didn't sound much like spiritualized to me)

I'm also quite a fan of Blue Stereo Music - spzretent do you have that Decidcated single of theirs you mentioned? It would be good to hear that if you or anyone else is willing to upload.

Plus nice trip down memory lane with the 2010 thread.
jayray
Known user

Post by jayray »

Rogue Wave - "Everyone wants to be you"..........Shine a Light.
JJ1977
Known user

Post by JJ1977 »

BRMC - Sometimes The Light
I Break Horses - Winter Beats (they also do a great ravey/spacey version of All Of My Tears live)

That Rougue Wave tribute...wow
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there was a whole spait of indie bands using gospel choirs at one point (Doves with Satellites, Elbow with Grace Under Pressure) which I think most bands admitted was inspired by Spiritualized.

always thought Maps' We Can Create sounded very Lazer Guided Melodies
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ten Second Dynasty - Continuum

Can't believe I forgot about that one.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote:
always thought Maps' We Can Create sounded very Lazer Guided Melodies
Never a bad thing - I'll look that up. I was also very impressed with Speck Mountain, and found a copy of Reverberation - Blue Stereo Music online for £3 odd including postage. Will listen to it later.

I've also remembered another blatant ripoff: Low - Nothing But Heart so desperately wants to be the live version of Shine A Light it's hilarious - it's in 4/4 instead of 6/8, but otherwise sounds identical to me. Again, a great song! :lol:
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

I also found a very cheap copy of Blue Stereo Music on Amazon, something like $0.05 plus 3.99 postage. It's interesting but I don't think I'll listen to it often. There are a couple of good tunes on there.

I'm gonna check out some of the other things mentioned in this thread.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

The Early Years album, particularly 'the Simple Solution' and 'High Times & Low Lives'...