pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

When considering vinyl recordings, "VG" IS NOT. You have to decide if you simply want to replace the AHMother to listen to, (maybe even a CD), or be happy with a noisy background in a ofttimes quiet LP that has soft, sound pauses, and gentle passages and songs like "If".

You have presented a quandry.

The BEST way will take time; but if simply want to replace AHMother, then obtain the best quality you can.

If you obtain a copy from the USA, Japan, UK, Germany, Holland or France, you will do OK; avoid the former Soviet satellite countries and South America.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have mentioned "The Soundtrack LPs" several times, but "Zabriskie Point" only once. This is an eclectic grouping of artists for this film, and a great listen for the variety they bring! I bought another [sealed] MGM DJ ONLY copy about 3 weeks ago; I have (2 USA spares), so I know this is a heavy, well pressed LP. The UK copies are slightly different in appearance, and the French 2nd release is quite unlike either the US or UK releases. ALL have great sound. (Especially the Japanese). This DJ copy is from the USA, 1970. (I am using a "stock" photo because the shrinkwrap gave TOO MUCH GLARE!). Of course, the image is essentially the same. :D
Attachments
PF Zabriskie Point [sealed] OST MGM DJ Only; USA 1970
PF Zabriskie Point [sealed] OST MGM DJ Only; USA 1970
ZPoint 1970.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 11656 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Still making music; here is a 2006 "LTD ED" 7" Promo on Clear vinyl, from the UK of Gilmour's "Smile". From his LP, "On an Island".
Attachments
Gilmour; "LTD ED" PROMO Clear Vinyl "Smile" from "On an Island"
Gilmour; "LTD ED" PROMO Clear Vinyl "Smile" from "On an Island"
PF Gilmour Smile Promo LTD 2006aa.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 11652 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This probably looks familiar; and has phenomenal sound. "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", (from "the Wind in the Willows), which I read in grade school just the other day.......I LOVED Library Class, with Miss P.; Anyway, this copy of the 1st LP of the Pink Floyd should go SOMEPLACE on this thread, so I will put this Japanese pressing here. This is 1971 release of the 1967 original; Complete with OBI, booklet and inserts.
Attachments
1971 release of the 1967 LP
1971 release of the 1967 LP
PF Piper at the Gates of Dawn Japanese ODEON 1967aa.jpg (132.07 KiB) Viewed 11652 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 14, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is an interesting item; a very rare piece from Holland; the record and PS, with "Another Brick in the Wall" in red, were commissioned by A BRICK COMPANY that you see printed on the sleeve; (the logo is difficult at this magnification, but it is literally (kiln fired) "bricks in the wall". Different, isn't it? Very few of this variant were made. [Holland, 1979]. The Picture Sleeves were printed in Holland, the recordings were pressed in Germany.
Too Unusual to pass up!
:D
Attachments
Baksteen Group DESIMPEL (Netherlands) BRICK COMPANY; special commission sleeve 1979
Baksteen Group DESIMPEL (Netherlands) BRICK COMPANY; special commission sleeve 1979
PF Another Brick in the Wall Holland SPECIAL ISSUE 1979.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

A great item, that one. I'm also a big fan of the last gilmour album, so the smile 7" is also something I'd like to have myself. The Zabriskie Point soundtrack is a big favourite of mine, also.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

James T wrote:A great item, that one. I'm also a big fan of the last gilmour album, so the smile 7" is also something I'd like to have myself. The Zabriskie Point soundtrack is a big favourite of mine, also.
Have you got all the Floyd sessions for this soundtrack? They are ace!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Somewhere yes!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another ROIO that I received a "Thumbs Up" from a friend of mine; this Concert Set, from June 18th, 1975 is on compact disc; a 2CD set; hopefully the original soundsource will be worthwhile. It is supposedly a "complete" concert.
Attachments
PF Boston Gardens Complete Concert Set 6-18-1975
PF Boston Gardens Complete Concert Set 6-18-1975
PF Boston Gardens Complete Concert Set 6-18-1975.jpg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 11635 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is the ORIGINAL release; fom 1967, on Odeon. Fantastic! With Obi, booklet, and 3 inserts. Absolutely WONDERFUL Audio Quality. It is still possible to obtain these quality originals; I buy them for not only their rarity, but of course the way they sound. I know these are not everyone's choice; you may not even like this LP; but I am certain if you sat down in my music room, and heard this 46 year old disc as it should be heard, you would be amazed and maybe even impressed with the Audio quality.
This First pressing of the First LP of the Floyd has some nice inserts and ads for the 1st (2) singles, and for this LP! Very well done, and nice to have to listen to.
Attachments
PF Piper at the Gates of Dawn Japanese ODEON 1967 original release, 1st pressing
PF Piper at the Gates of Dawn Japanese ODEON 1967 original release, 1st pressing
PF Piper at the Gates of Dawn Japanese ODEON 1967aaaa.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 11635 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Still need a copy of Piper on LP! I have the 3 CD book set reissue which is nice
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Earlier, I placed a ROIO, originally from BBC sources, "The 1974 DSOTM Concert", far left (bottom) in the photo. A few days ago, the remaining (2) of the 4 CD "set" arrived. They are numbered, right to left, BBCP-60016, 60013, 60014, and DSOTM is 60015. These seem to be widely dispersed; from NYC to London and beyond.

I was very impressed, for a ROIO, of the DSOTM release. I have heard only one other, and the quality of the source material varied from track to track; but it has been my experience that once you find a "set", or ROIOs with a "Quality" release, (i.e. DSOTM), from a certain producer of them, that the others in that series generally have good points, or are better. I suppose I will find out. They are all beautifully packaged, made to emulate "japanese" releases w/ CD style Obi and inserts.
Attachments
PF ROIO set of (4)
PF ROIO set of (4)
PF ROIO set of (4) 001a.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 11611 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I DID find an even BETTER COPY of the AM Promo of "The Dark Side of the Moon" in MONO! I only waited 24+ years to do so. 4 Tracks with very strange edits and mixes, and in MONO. THIS time I am showing the OBVERSE, (the side without the track listing). This one is exceptionally nice. (It is in Mylar, and looks darker and not as "platinum" colored). :D
Attachments
DSOTM 1973 Promo Only Mono Sampler
DSOTM 1973 Promo Only Mono Sampler
PF DSOTM Prmoaaaa.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 11611 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

An interesting release from Jugoslavia; in 1980. On the Jugoton label, in a "paper bag", versus the sealed black plastic of the West. The LP "Wish You Were Here". Later on, in 1985, a "Black Paper" bag was issued.
Attachments
PF "Wish You Were Here" 1980 Jugoton; Jugoslavia
PF "Wish You Were Here" 1980 Jugoton; Jugoslavia
PF Wish YWHere Jugoslaviaaaa.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 11610 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Below is the image of a 1970 "Best of" the Pink Floyd; a Dutch issue. IF you see a copy described as "Mint" or "NM" in a plastic inner sleeve, and looks "new", for about $30, it is a superb ROIO. At first I thought these were re-releases, but after some info and careful observation, comparing a pair I bought to a (known) original, they are some of the best Forgeries I have ever seen! Extraordinarily done.

Many of the early Singles and other early material is on this disc, and unless you want to shell out an extra amount of money for a Mint(-) original, this ROIO is an excellent way to obtain the music. EXCEPTIONAL.
Attachments
Image of "The Best of Pink Floyd" Dutch Release, 1970; appearing as an exceptional ROIO
Image of "The Best of Pink Floyd" Dutch Release, 1970; appearing as an exceptional ROIO
PF THE BEST OF 1970.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Yet another example of a single from "Wish You Were Here", 1975, from Portugal, Obverse and Reverse. Sometimes, the Portugese release is used, albeit with minor modifications for the South American Market.This release, however, was NOT one of them. Unique to Portugal, 1975.
Attachments
"Have a Cigar" w/ "Wish You were Here" (edit) 1975, /\/\/\ Portugal OBVERSE
"Have a Cigar" w/ "Wish You were Here" (edit) 1975, /\/\/\ Portugal OBVERSE
PF Have A Cigar Wish You Were Here edit Portugal 1975aa.jpg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
REVERSE
REVERSE
PF Have A Cigar with Shine On You Crazy Diamond eitd Portgal 1975aa.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
Paracelsus
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Man, no wonder Pink Floyd got so rich.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Work hard for 40 years, invest well and save, and anyone should be able to have SOMETHING to show.

I believe that they became "relatively wealthy" because they produced music that many people enjoyed (on different levels and for different reasons) and some of those releases, "Dark Side of the Moon" for example, still sell well. Radio stations STILL play their music, and of course they still receive royalties on what they created all those years ago.

I like the line from the film Citizen Kane:
"It is easy to make a lot of money if all you want is a lot of money";(that may not be EXACTLY the quote, but close). I certainly want something besides money, for that alone is not enough.

The band was very innovative and creative, and what they did was Beautifully timed to a certain era where short, "trippy little pieces" and long electronic pieces and "psychedelic" sounds were desired by a great many people to enjoy and "disappear" into for awhile.

Personally, I am pleased for anyone who works at what they love to do and succeeds at it. The monetary aspect is not the only criterian upon which to "quantify" or define success, but it is nice to have, don't you think? I know I've earned every penny I have, and I was lucky enough to be able to live comfortably by doing something I enjoy so very much. Hard work, dedication, and a bit of luck is what is required to achieve "success" on your own merits.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Obtaining Promo Compilations or "Loss-Leaders", the "Harvest Picnic" for example, is always a great way to learn about music you may never have heard or even heard of; I have seen this promo available lately, containing "Astromony Domine", from Pink Floyd,
along with a few other examples from other great bands. On the Capitol label. 1970
Attachments
1970 Promo Only "The New Spirit of Capitol"
1970 Promo Only "The New Spirit of Capitol"
PF Promo THE NEW SPIRIT OF CAPITOL Astonomy Domine.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 11664 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another compilation, but not really a "Best Of", more of "An Unusual Selections", from 1983 is "WORKS". This has the track "Embryo" which had remained unreleased except for Promotional discs (and ROIOs) until this album. I am not really all that fond of "Best of" or "The Same. Again" type release, but this has a wide and unusual variety of songs from over the years.
This example has a "different" appearance, (albeit a nearly imperceptable one - it is more greyish and without luster; this is a New Zealand release on Capitol, 1983.
Attachments
PF Works LP New Zealand 1983aa.jpg
PF Works LP New Zealand 1983aa.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Every once in awhile, I receive something so extraordinary, that I am truly moved. I know that I have shown similar, nearly "Identical" examples of this 1967 7" single of the Pink Floyd; but this example has NEVER been played; and was put away many years ago by a fellow who worked in one of the Smithsonian Museums.

He told me that his "kids", (who are now in their 60's), brought home a copy of "that crazy record; but that it HAD SOMETHING, what in the olde days was called "the IT factor". He went out the next day, bought a copy, and "put it away, because I thought someday it might be of some importance". He placed an "extra" sleeve from the copy his kids discarded; "they never could preserve anything"; and the ticket, well, was lost in the fog of memory and time. But what a package! The totality, the disc, a "preservation" sleeve, the sleeve you see, and an additional identical sleeve, behind, and the Ticket were placed in layers of "breathing" plastics and in the THICKEST Mylar like sleeve I have ever seen.

This is from a man who has collected ONLY "shellac acetates of Classical Music from 1914 til 1945". He asked me to "enjoy the little record", and he was pleased to see "young people" were still interested in vinyl.

The "unused" Ticket was from one of the Concerts on the first USA Tour, Syd Barrett had not quite yet left on permanent vacation.

OH: I forgot to write that his favorite "Band" (is) Frank Sinatra (w/ "anyone else supplying an Orchestra"). The WWI-WWII end acetates are his collected pieces, but he enjoys "many musical forms". Except, apparently, "The Rhumba". :D

It is very interesting to me that he bought THIS disc in 1967; I like to obtain the "newest" bands 1st singles, and it is something I try to do to this day; but the greatest Irony of all is how this gentlemen "heard" something special, or so different, that he would bother to go and buy this "crazy little record". I felt very much the same way, as I intimated on page 2, when I entered this thread.
Attachments
1st release of Pink Floyd; unplayed; with 1st USA Concert Tour Ticket
1st release of Pink Floyd; unplayed; with 1st USA Concert Tour Ticket
PF Arnold Layne 1A plus TICKET 002.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 11648 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

that's an amazing piece!
the dreamer
New user

Post by the dreamer »

Wish you were here + Dark side of the moon have recently come into my life and I must say I love those two records. How they avoided my until my 33rd year I do not know!!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It is easy! There is so much music out there, and so very much of it is quite good; I feel that at least at one time I was more "in touch and in tune" with what was going on in the music world, because I had so many DJ friends of differing musical tastes, that I heard dozens of new things a week; now it is a bit different.

Although I have enjoyed, and will enjoy sharing pieces from my "Arkiv" of Pink Floyd, this band is certainly NOT the only band I have enjoyed collecting.

When you listen to "DSOTM" on an excellent system, you cannot help but wonder why it DID take so long! For me, that was the 5th LP and "x" singles I heard prior to DSOTM; but it is brilliant and in some ways, simple. "Daily life with the various components, including going quite mad".
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have found yet another variant of the French Acetate of "On the Turning Away". It is new and unplayed; has a round embossed stamp in the upper right corner, along with essentially the same artwork as the other 2 types; but THIS variant is not a vinyl-on-metal acetate, nor is it one sided; in fact, it plays "On the Turning Away" on EACH SIDE! Still a French Only Promo; with dead wax area matrix numbers that are different; and the sleeve, although heavy, is NOT the thick "cardboard" sleeve of the OTHER 2 TYPES! But, still no label on either side. Sorry, the protecting sleeve makes the round, upper right "Promo" stamp difficult to see. (I have corrected a transposition error-09-29-13; the piece is played ONCE only per side, not twice. Whoops.)
So, another variant, with 2x the music. :D From 1987, "On The Turning Away". (Gilmour's Floyd).
Attachments
"On The Turning Away" x2 track (2-sided) VINYL promo France 1987
"On The Turning Away" x2 track (2-sided) VINYL promo France 1987
PF On The Turning Away 4 track VINYL promo Franceaa 001.jpg (23.49 KiB) Viewed 11613 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

semisynthetic wrote:An interesting release from Jugoslavia; in 1980. On the Jugoton label, in a "paper bag", versus the sealed black plastic of the West. The LP "Wish You Were Here".
I used to have one of these but the "paper bag" had more of a reddish color to it from what I remember. It sounded great and I'm sorry I sold it. I was in a store today and saw some "unofficial" copies of some Floyd lp's. One was a copy of the original UK version of A Saucerful of Secrets on pink vinyl and this Japanese copy of Wish You Were Here which I've never seen before but looked on ebay and it's listed as a 'reissue'.
Attachments
Wish You Were Here.JPG
Wish You Were Here.JPG (39.73 KiB) Viewed 11610 times
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I also saw another copy of ASOS, this had both the Capitol-EMI logos on the bottom right corner of the front sleeve and the record had the 1980's Capitol "rainbow colorband" label. It was priced at $40 and I wasn't sure if it was official but it looked great. I looked it up when I got home and in fact it's the 8th issue of ST-6279 Capitol Records-EMI of Canada.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The Japanese copy above was the 2nd issue of "Wish You Were Here"; the first release had a black plastic "concealing" the artwork, but with the same stickers as the one you have shown here. The Capitol 6000 series was a "series" of re-releases of c. 1967-1977, based only upon what I have in my collection. Most of these were reissued in the 1980's, with a few being reissued in the VERY LATE 1970's. For example, I have several "Piper at the Gates...." on this label; most of them are sealed. The same can be said with "A Saucerful of....".

I buy them sealed because the Canadian pressings, in my opinion are not that well done, and unfortunately most used copies tend to not be well cared for. If, however, you were pleased with their condition, $40 is not a bad price. I have been buying as many "NEAR-PERFECT" Originals as I can find, including [sealed] 1967-77 originals AND [sealed] copies of The Canadian 6000 Series. The Jugoton pressings are heavier than the Canadian 6000 series, but again, I would obtain them [new]. If you find copies that are satisfactory, I would purchase any "original" vinyl; someday, in the sea of re-releases, you can enjoy an earlier pressing.

The former eastern Bloc was not populated by many higher quality turntables or styli, and these poorer quality systems degrade vinyl. Of course, on a "phonograph" style setup, one is not likely to hear the difference; BUT place that disc upon a quality platten and WOW! It will sound like gravel. (A physician I know from Poland has taken great pains and expense in making certain his nephew has an excellent quality sound system, since (the Dr.) told me he was driven half mad as a young man in Poland listening to "records that sounded like tanks had driven over them, backed up, and drove over them again!") Now, I am receiving the odd 7" single from Poland now and then. :D The variety certainly has improved, but they are far from having the choices we enjoy. At least their recordings no longer read "CCCP".
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Minky wrote:I also saw another copy of ASOS, this had both the Capitol-EMI logos on the bottom right corner of the front sleeve and the record had the 1980's Capitol "rainbow colorband" label. It was priced at $40 and I wasn't sure if it was official but it looked great. I looked it up when I got home and in fact it's the 8th issue of ST-6279 Capitol Records-EMI of Canada.
These were most certainly Official releases; why go to such expense to bootleg a recording that MAY be worth $40 as an original? 1980's Capitol Rainbows are, as a rule, not rare, AT LEAST NOT YET, BUT THEY ARE NICE TO HAVE; (I may have been too particular when I "graded" them, but a nice copy should sound fine). More people are wanting originals, the supply is much less than is demand nowadays. It makes me smile when I remember getting a NICE discount if I bought ALL of the Floyd stock; they were just not "There" yet in popularity, which was fine with me; I thought they might enjoy the same sort of core audience similar to The Grateful Dead, another band in my Top 100 favorites.

I am troubled by some of the OBVIOUS bootlegs, or really, more like GREAT FORGERIES, like the "Best of...." from 1970 that I suggested. It is fine to sell them at $30; BUT, to claim they are authentic and ask $275 for what is a nice record; (the best originals are priced close to $300 nowadays) is simply compounding a Fraud and is quite wrong.

I was always interested to see ROWS of vans stuffed with recording equipment surrounding Pink Floyd shows; the band never seemed to mind the Bootlegs, except to comment on the BAD QUALITY ONES! Speaking of that, I was amused recently to see several Bootlegs clearly marked "NOT TMOQ or TAKRL", infamous "labels" for so-so to pathetic quality.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was so VERY pleased with the "Arnold Layne" + Ticket "package", that the artwork of the ticket was lost on me for awhile; so I cropped it from the photo and present it here. The marks that "appear" to be on the ticket, I believe are visual artifacts from tiny "wrinkles" on/from the polyethylene plastic sleeves. Anyway, it is 46 years old, and meant to be torn in half and tossed long ago! $3 for this show? I dunno, sounds pretty High. :D
It is a Beautiful Ticket, I think. No holograms or serial numbers; just (small, but) wonderful Art at $3.
Attachments
"Bill Graham Presents"  Ticket 1967; Pink Floyd's First USA Tour (w/ Syd Barrett). (Cropped from 7" single photo, above)
"Bill Graham Presents" Ticket 1967; Pink Floyd's First USA Tour (w/ Syd Barrett). (Cropped from 7" single photo, above)
PF Arnold Layne 1A plusa Ticket 001.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 11617 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is not exactly a great rarity, but on the other hand, very few of these sleeves were made for the STARLINE Label from Capitol, in 1989. If nothing else, it shows the staying power of a 7" single in the age of "the CD is the greatest thing you have ever heard" hype. So, here is an example. :D
Attachments
Starline Label (Capitol, USA) 1989 Money/Any Colour You Like
Starline Label (Capitol, USA) 1989 Money/Any Colour You Like
PS Money Any Coulour You Like Starline Series 1989 USA 001aa.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 11594 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

You have seen some 70+/- Pink Floyd singles; some were similar or other examples; but that only begins to show just how well received this band was. It is most ironic to me, that the early singles, now far more difficult to find than you would like them to be, are for me, some of the very BEST music the band created. I am also intrigued when I see the number and variety of "Obscured by Clouds" and "More", (and other soundtracks), because these are quite good, and tend to have that "Floyd" sound, but with variety within them. I am sorry that so many of you have been, for the most part, exposed to the latter works as if the Barrett singles never existed. Even on Relics, or Masters of Rock or the other "Best Of" LPs will generally have the "stereo" mix of say, "Apples and Oranges", when the 7" disc was strictly MONO and fills the room! I will keep adding newer and also earlier examples until you or I get tired of it. :D

It is very satisfying to see that so many of you HAVE enjoyed the singles, LPs and assorted "stuff" that has been shown, not just by me, but by others as well. Today I received (2) copies of "Obscured by Clouds"; both original and both [sealed]. One is a Mexican release, and the other is a German Promo w/ a Gold Stamp. They came from the collection of an old friend who (now) takes extraordinary care of his recordings, (after destroying so many as a DJ long ago!) Something I kid him about still, since I cringed as he spun the discs backwards, even when the turntable WAS or WAS NOT designed to do so. He had great timing though. (And made a LOT of tapes after torturing the discs!)

Have Fun and I will post the odd item now and then if you still enjoy them. I am interested if anyone has heard something that they really LIKE, perhaps as a result of knowing there was so much MORE to the band than the Space Cadet Glow. From an Artistic point of view, I wonder which, if any, of the singles or other pieces you saw, you liked. I suppose I will just wonder.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

this is a sweet Odeon pressing, and with a day to go, the price will surely go higher. plus shipping from Japan. :cry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271285643613

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In the Condition as described, I would be surprised if it will ever reach $100. I will be curious to see. At least you see the "artprint", "inserts" and "booklet". Perhaps this seller is VERY CONSERVATIVE in his grading. I don't know. Look at the "5 o'clock" position; there appears to be some residue or some artifact-maybe even just light; since this was what, the 3rd from the bottom in "grading", I am not surprised at such a low price, but sometimes there is "a feeding frenzy", I have observed; but I admit I am relatively new to buying on Ebay. I still buy a great deal "the old fashioned way". I (prefer) to see the disc and so on myself, or have someone I can trust to buy from.

An example of the general release Odeon pressing of the Promo a couple of pages back; I don't like them to remove the disc from the inner sleeve(!); the Promo, (just for info), was sent out with TWO inner sleeves, a square "envelope" design that contained the polyethylene inner. I never sell any of the recordings I buy, (unless I buy 2 or 3 with the idea that a friend will get a copy). The money side is of unfortunately very relevant, although I tend to not dwell upon it; however, some recordings, I mean PRISTINE examples, have skyrocketed over the last 10 years.

That is one reason I suggest to ANYONE and EVERYONE to obtain what you can of YOUR FAVORITE recordings on MINT, Original pressings. Someday, you will wish you had, and see that you could have at a fraction of what many will become.
I have done this over the years, and I'm glad to know I have "spares" of my favorite recordings.

I like the idea of having differing variants, but EVERYONE is purchased with the idea that "I CAN PLAY THIS DISC, EVEN ONCE, and BE VERY, VERY PLEASED with the sound quality". Of the "best" discs, this is simply what I ask sellers, especially of the Floyd recordings; "I don't want it to hang on the wall!". Every disc you have seen from my "Arkiv" is an exceptional example, (or I won't buy them). I have been very, very fortunate to find what I have when I have; but I still will buy MINT examples; but those are becoming fewer and fewer with each passing year. ROIOs excluded from practically everything I've written!

BELOW is a closeup of an "Apples and Oranges" single from 1967. THIS is a quality recording; how the disc in its ENTIRETY should look like if viewed under a stereomicroscope. But it is a terribly imperfect world :D
Attachments
Close-up of Matrix Numbers on a MINT UK "Apples and Oranges" 1967
Close-up of Matrix Numbers on a MINT UK "Apples and Oranges" 1967
APPLES and ORANGES close-up1.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 11934 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This came today, and is (essentially) the 1970(!) Dutch form (WHICH IS MUCH BETTER!) of "A Nice Pair", 1973. This is an excellent example, and contains the music from the first 2 LPs of the Pink Floyd. The "Piper at the Gates...." artwork is on the other side of the Jacket. Unfortunately, "A Nice Pair" steals Astronomy Domine' from another period, and this ruins the effect AND the History entirely, so I recommend this "combo"; interestingly, the former Soviet satellite countries use THIS format, the artwork and jacket are simply not as nice. The Dutch pressings are almost always wonderful; this is laminated, and the two discs well protected and hefty!.

Sorry for the lousy photo, but you get the Idea should you see this recording and want a copy of it.
Attachments
1970 MILESTONES 2-LP set of the First TWO LPs
1970 MILESTONES 2-LP set of the First TWO LPs
PF Milestones 2LP set Hollanda.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 11922 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is a nice example of the Japanese release of "The Nile Song" w/ "Main Theme"; the song coupling and PS are unique to Japan, on Odeon, and as usual, this pressing is an outstanding copy. It is in a two-tier innersleeve, w/ inserts and lyric sheet. From 1969, the "More" OST LP.
Attachments
From "More" 1969; Japanese Odeon w/ inserts
From "More" 1969; Japanese Odeon w/ inserts
PF The Nile Song Japan with Main Theme 1969.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 11915 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

yesterday was the release date of Storm's book The Gathering Storm

http://thegatheringstorm.firebrandstore.com/

256 pages of album cover graphics by Storm Thorgerson - spanning five decades from his beginnings with Hipgnosis through to StormStudios.
Limited edition Wibalin "Berry" (mauve) hardback with custom designed cover incorporating Storm's logo in Luxor block foil.
Includes Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Peter Gabriel, Wombats, 10cc, Audioslave, Black Sabbath, Biffy Clyro, Genesis, Rainbow, Steve Miller, Pendulum and The Mars Volta amongst others.
Printed in Italy in full colour on semi matt paper.
Portrait format.
Published by StormStudios and de Milo.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was arranging new arrivals in the Pink Floyd area, and a Box Set was taking up too much room; so I took a photo to share with you. This is 1/250 (I think that is right), of Promo Box Sets from the intial release of "The Wall Live in Berlin"; 1990. In the set is a VHS Tape of the Concert, the 2-CD release, and a Booklet "unique to this set", from 1990. In an approximately 12" x 12" x 2" box.
Attachments
PF Roger Waters PROMO SET VHS 2CD 12 page colour bookleta.jpg
PF Roger Waters PROMO SET VHS 2CD 12 page colour bookleta.jpg (98.53 KiB) Viewed 11890 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Some time back, I commented on bootlegs, and used the "Crackers" example of bootlegs of bootlegs; and while looking about, I found a photo of the WORST of them all, so avoid this one unless you just want to have one, I guess. When I saw it listed at about $75+/-, I smiled; for this terrible set was $12.50 when it was re-re-released; I had ordered a 2nd OSTRICH copy I told you of, but before that arrived, this is the type of example that did. (I am using a stock photo). It is at least nice to be forewarned of a recording, or pressing to avoid because of its inferiority. :D (Notice it is a "TAKRL" brand).
Attachments
A bootlegged bootleg of the 3-LP Box Set of "Crackers". Terrible.
A bootlegged bootleg of the 3-LP Box Set of "Crackers". Terrible.
Crackersa.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 11890 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is a rather Obscure 12" EP Promo White Label (no Obi), from Japan, 1979; called "Special Radio Construction". The pressing is Wonderful; and has a couple of promo photos from the 2-LP set of "The Wall". (I know my photo is not very good, but I could not find a "stock" copy of this 12" disc). I want to fix a proper way to best photograph the artwork of the 12" discs.
Attachments
12" EP from "The Wall" 1979; Japanese Only
12" EP from "The Wall" 1979; Japanese Only
PF 12 EP Japanese Promo White Label Special Radio Construction.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 11853 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

After many, many years, I am Very, VERY pleased to have found a 2nd MINT Copy of "Apples and Oranges"/ "Paint Box", 1967; SWEDISH SLEEVE, (using a UK disc). I have now seen 4 copies (in 42 years); 2 trashed, and 2 preserved beautifully; I was fortunate enough to obtain the "hidden" copies that avoided turmoil, "phonograph" needles, and apathetic abuse. This copy comes from a Collector in Holland; I was sent a photo that I've TRIED my best to "copy", but it keeps coming out blurry and 'washed out"; I will be very pleased when this REALLY arrives; I have been buying from this fellow for almost 30 years, and every disc has been wonderful; (of course, the irony is, the rarity is not simply the 5th (and last) UK single of Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd; but one of a 100+ special sleeves that were made to contain it). I will have to photograph the Reverse of the Sleeve; which has a GREAT lineup of the "Top 20" or so from the UK, Europe, the USA, AND Sweden! Know your Dealer, regardless of what you obtain; recordings, or whatever you fancy.

Maybe the MOST important aspect of this recording, another WONDERFUL find, is the knowledge that with perseverence and patience, one can STILL find the Best of even the Rarest of the Rare after all these Years!
Attachments
copy #2 of the "Swedish PS Release" of "Apples and Oranges", w/ Richard Wright's "Paint Box" (from a photo sent to me)
copy #2 of the "Swedish PS Release" of "Apples and Oranges", w/ Richard Wright's "Paint Box" (from a photo sent to me)
PF Apples and NUMBER2Copy1967.jpg (13.51 KiB) Viewed 11852 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

"Which one's Pink?"

Post by BzaInSpace »

Probably my "favourite" Pink Floyd album sleeve - this rare Turkish pressing of Obscured By Clouds features the short lived Floyd line-up of Messrs Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon and Roger Taylor...
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds (Turkish 'Queen' version).jpg
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds (Turkish 'Queen' version).jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 11829 times
:shock:
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well Pink Floyd usually comes just before Queen in the record bins
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Every once in a great while, I find a Turkish copy in Wonderful Condition; (and this goes for almost ANY Turkish release; personally, I like these releases because they are generally housed in unique Artwork on the jackets), and although the pressings are usually, well, not exactly the greatest available, they DO make nice additions to the collection, often for the errors on the sleeves AND / OR the recording itself!
Not long ago I found a "DAVID CASSIDY" 7" disc in the Artwork Jacket Picture Sleeve for "Wish You Were Here" released in Thailand. It was in such a very terrible condition, that despite the weirdness of it all, I let it go. IF I find a M-/NM copy, I WILL buy it. Like the "Pink Queen" above, "Davy Cassidy in the "sandman sleeve" is just too weird an error to ignore. :D
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

OK, it is awful, but it is amusing and practically free. From Thailand, David Cassidy(?) in the "sandman sleeve". Oh, that is just wrong all over. I went ahead and just ordered this "one mistake after another"; this must be the FIRST David Cassidy disc I KNEW I was buying! :D
Attachments
A Misuse of Good Artwork for the, uh, "incomparable" D. Cassidy.
A Misuse of Good Artwork for the, uh, "incomparable" D. Cassidy.
DavidCassidyThailand.jpg (101.37 KiB) Viewed 11802 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a bit of ephemera that is truly quite rare by any standard. This is a ticket for an early, pre-Pink Floyd band with Syd Barrett; "THOSE WITHOUT". I was very pleased to find and obtain this item; for in it is History, Music and Dreams (and Nightmares), to come. This is the earliest "artifact" I own of what (would) become "Pink Floyd". I will be surprised to ever see another example. This was to be used to attend a Dance in 1963. I obtained this from an Auction House in Europe.

I hope you enjoy this little peek into the Past. Just look at that pricing! 3 shillings! My, but aren't things becoming expensive nowadays!

Syd (Roger) Barrett was 17 years old at this gig. Just the other day......
Attachments
1963 Ticket for "THOSE WITHOUT" with SYD BARRETT, definitely "prefloydian".
1963 Ticket for "THOSE WITHOUT" with SYD BARRETT, definitely "prefloydian".
Syd Barrett Ticketaa.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 11799 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon May 05, 2014 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

History here as well; on this one-page handbill from Holland, printed November 10th, 1967 detailing the programme for the festival, Nov 10-14, 1967. This festival not only marked [Pink Floyd's] only live appearance in The Netherlands with Syd Barrett, but also included Jimi Hendrix's only ever concert on Dutch soil. An original programme sheet; "A little piece of Arkiv material". From just the other day. Another item I doubt I will ever find again. Sometimes, with such interest and focus on not only the music, (but such ephemera as well), I feel a bit like a "Musical Archeologist". I really like true ephemera; items that in their day were meant to be torn down, ripped up, or put in the bottom of the budgie's cage. I am glad this one survives in my collection. It is fun to have little reminders of the past; whether they be gilded golden leatherbound books, or B&W handbills of Dutch "Talent Festivals"!
With the Soft Machine; Spencer Davies Group and Golden Earring(s); what Fun that must have been..........
Attachments
1-page Handbill from Holland, 1967; Historica and quite obscure. What a lineup.
1-page Handbill from Holland, 1967; Historica and quite obscure. What a lineup.
HippyHippyShake November 10 1967aa.jpg (182.44 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

An interesting Private Pressing:
This Unique Test Pressing of Roger Waters' "Hello I Love You", is one a few from Holland. It remains pristine and unplayed; was meant for distribution and promotion of the Film, and also for other "singles" released by the band over the years.
(I was amused that some people were genuinely ANGRY that this was not a cover of "The Doors" single of the same title!)
This comes from a children's story, "The Last Mimsy"; this Test Pressing is from the song on the OST. The song itself is very much Waters' "writing" career seemingly "condensed" into a few minutes of his distinct style.

Regarding OTHER BANDS
There are still some wonderful examples of much more than just Pink Floyd out there, so I would again suggest to those who would, obtain those Wonderful Examples of your "favorites" on the original release; the sound is usually much better; I try to find [sealed] copies whenever possible of those "special" discs I want. I know that it CAN be a bit pricey, but I often find sealed, wonderful examples for less than $20-$30 by carefully looking and asking.
Attachments
"Hello I Love You" TEST PRESSING on the  ToneFloat label; special private release to promote a book and the Film "The Last Mimsy"
"Hello I Love You" TEST PRESSING on the ToneFloat label; special private release to promote a book and the Film "The Last Mimsy"
PF Roger Waters HELLO I LOVE YOU Test Pressing; Holland; August 9th, 2008; from the OST.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 11879 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I hope that those of you who have taken the time to see the little bits of this Pink Floyd "sampler" have enjoyed the artwork and History; I think I will slow down any more additions, as it seems interest has finally begun to wane; if there is still interest, I still have another "samplers worth"(+) of recordings and assorted "odds and ends" that you may enjoy seeing.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

It's always interesting to see a new entry in this thread.

Can you recommend a good pressing of Live at Pompeii? I assume they are all ROIO unless there was some obscure legit release of this video?

Since they would tend to sound excellent, any great with unusual artwork of note?

I like this one, which looks like a ilbrary piece
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Pompe ... se/3257812

There's another with hand-painted covers.
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Pompe ... se/3175405

Also, how about unusual promotional items that are not music or playable as music?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Actually, the first image that came to mind was the Original Release (NTSC) of the VHS. The artwork is different than the DVD release, but both are very simple - I preferred the Original release cover; but it is nothing as nice as the 1st image you have shown which is taken from the ruins of Pompeii; this is probably the nicest artwork used - but NOT the best sound quality.

There IS A WONDERFUL White Vinyl 2-LP release from Italy or Spain from the 1980's that had outtakes added, and the interviews ommitted. The cover is in (2) plain simple white jackets, but the pressings are wonderful. I haven't seen one in years.

I do not know of a legitimate release on disc, CD or Vinyl; I can see how the music alone would be very nice, but why not just play the DVD through the sound system; I do that regularly w/ soundtracks. There are "special" interview segments which make little sense without the video, which may explain why a Promo on Vinyl or CD was never made; the "extra" was in these interviews.

In fact, I can think of only ONE "good" reason to have a ROIO of "Live at Pompeii", and that is FOR THE ARTWORK the discs would be contained in. The sound quality of the disc you showed is well known to me; I bought an EARLY release on vinyl and it was simply "OK"; a later CD version w/ similar artwork was simply the vinyl played, and recorded to CD! Terrible!

My MAIN interest in ROIO is for the early evolving pieces; "The Man and the Journey"; what would become ASFoS; or variations of "Atom Heart Mother" w/ differing titles. "The Massed Gadgets of Hercules" and so on are much more interesting to me, personally. I also like the outtakes and pieces that never made it onto a "proper" LP; I DO ENJOY listening to pieces evolve over time; and the Pink Floyd were adept at using these long pieces, "variations on a theme", and one care hear the "earlier" versions of known, released pieces. I also like to have early pieces with Syd Barrett; it seems to help create a "total sound picture" of the work over time; (which is, of course, illusionary). :D
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have seen the quality of these ROIO's improve over the years; but it always depends on that initial source; Pink Floyd may have REALLY rattled stadiums in the latter years, but in the very beginning, their equipment, and someone, anyone, recording what they did then in those early sessions was usually below par by todays standards; nevertheless, I AM hearing and finding new outlets and details to help me find some obscure material; IF it sounds great or has some other redeeming quality, I will certainly share this with you. It seems the trick is to either have the Original BBC Transcriptions, or the NEXT generation of them on ROIO's. The soundboard ROIO's I have are usually very good; but after all these years are now available essentially as re-released "bootlegs of bootlegs". The multigenerational recordings are not what the early (vinyl) recordings are; but I must admit that some digital re-releases of some of these are quite good.

I am glad you brought up "Live at Pompeii"; it is a GREAT "musical video" with a little bit of weirdness and insight into the band from c.1972. Thanks.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

davedecay wrote:It's always interesting to see a new entry in this thread.

Can you recommend a good pressing of Live at Pompeii? I assume they are all ROIO unless there was some obscure legit release of this video?

Since they would tend to sound excellent, any great with unusual artwork of note?

I like this one, which looks like a ilbrary piece
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Pompe ... se/3257812

There's another with hand-painted covers.
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Pompe ... se/3175405

Also, how about unusual promotional items that are not music or playable as music?
There was quite a bit of the usual "hype" stuff; especially in the later years; but my favorite ephemera is similar to what you see above; the 1-page handbill and "THOSE WITHOUT" ticket; I have some great files from Capitol and Columbia asking the company for permission to use music of the Pink Floyd for say, a Film School film at Berkely; a short explanation is given on a neatly typed sheet, and someone writes "gratis" (free - no charge); but some of the requests are SO bizarre the writing, the response is NO WAY! NO NO NO!!!! or sometimes there was a small charge, a few hundred dollars, to use the music or an excerpt. Fun stuff "From the files of......". Some of the requests were pretty funny; you KNOW they are not getting away w/ using P.F. music!
I like those bits of history, too; Teen mags with 1,000,000,000 pages on "The Monkees", and a 2" x 2" "Pink Floyd", NO photo; ephemera can be very interesting and tell you quite a bit about a moment in time.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

so, no inflatable pigs sent to radio stations, or things like that ?

crystal pyramids that refract light into a prismatic rainbow ?

a set of stuffed Animals: Pig, Dog, Sheep?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"Inflatable Pigs" were just too expensive and problematic. In the later years, the PROMO stuff did get a bit more elaborate; but I keep harkening back to a band who hardly had a PHOTO other than the blur of the 1st LP and the inside of Meddle. I LIKED the anonymity that the band maintained; antithetical to the completely overexposed entertainers. I LIKED the fact that the Pink Floyd were known by their names and their instruments and not much else.

The 2nd single "See Emily Play"/ "Scarecrow" did so BADLY in the USA that Tower released a second Promo, just the disc in a sleeve that practically begged the DJ to play it; "Will YOU play this?" is on the plain B&W sleeve. One reason that so many of the EARLY Picture Sleeves I have included are so obscure; there were never many of them, and since 77 cents was not so much, they were not treated well as a rule. If there had not been collectors and those who REALLY liked the music, I would not have been able to present the "artifacts" I have in the condition you see them in.

I know that "DSOTM" was the real change in just what the band "could ask for", and their are some trinkets sent out at that time; but I believe the band had a great following by "Obscured by Clouds", a year earlier; Soundtracks and remember, Pink Floyd played LIVE at the BBC for the Apollo Moon Landing; something that I cannot imagine being done now. (Even if we could afford a real Space Program once more). SO MUCH OF WHAT Pink Floyd did was a combination of their Talent and hard work; what they did was so very timely, they were in fact, Ideal for their time.

There ARE "GIANT" Posters that were sent out as promos; but these were problematic because they were TOO large; I have 3 ONLY because no one at the local radio stations had room to "store" these oversized canvas, which must be 10' x 20' each at least, for "Atom Heart Mother". (Similar "oversized" Canvas were sent out for "DSOTM" and "The Wall").

Another trinket for Promo use for "The Wall" was a CD set inside a large "brick". I was never very fond of some of these trinkets, which were pushed by the record companies and were a bit gaudy; I have an example only because it was given to me. I liked the Ads in the Trade Magazines; they have held up over time; these ads were creative, simple and well done art works. Syd Barrett's first (and second) solo albums are good examples. I have clippings that friends have collected and given me over the years from all over the world, more ephemera that gives up more information than was ever thought, I imagine.

Over the years, Promo goodies were often the staple of new flash-in-the-pan bands or more flamboyant groups that kept strange things coming for the folks in the record industry and DJs. I believe the Harvest Samplers were a great "perk", and useful promotional items too.

I know Pink Floyd's management sent out limited edition books and artworks and LPs; a favorite of mine is a Promo (USA) copy of "A Saucerful of Secrets" on Pink Vinyl; there were very few made, on Capitol stampers, but I was "lucky" enough to obtain one of the 5 Wax Test Pressings used to "OK" the Final Promo. Wonderful sound quality!

There were Box Sets, Picture Discs, Box Sets of Picture Discs and so on, but nothing on large scale sent to more than 1 or 2 venues. The 1970's and early 1980's were a rough time economically; it was made even more difficult by the various currencies in use at that time. I can remember what frustration Lol Creme and Kevin Godley had with their brilliant 3-LP set of "Consequences" in 1977; the price required to break even in pounds sterling was simply TOO much in French francs to be viable; and much of Europe could not afford the set; even in the USA, $27.00 for a 3-LP Box Set/ booklet was a bit steep in 1977. I suppose that is one reason so many wound up still sealed in Bargain Bins.

There were other changes too, that I believe stretched the money thin; new media; the digital hype; high inflation and dischord in the UK, US and much of the West made creation of TOO MANY extravagent "giveaways" simply too expensive. 10-15 years earlier, the $ was there; and those bands who produced "winners" were given free reign and lots of recording time, and Promotion. "Eclection", on Elektra's label, suffered from a LACK of promotion, there were many great bands on that label.
I am certain there are more "things" to obtain NOW if one wants them, Posters, trinkets, buttons and all that stuff than there was concurrently with the music that was being released by Pink Floyd. For me, the music was always the high point; but I must say that although I believe the intellect and talent to create what they did, even in later years was misunderstood, not understood, or just too "bloated" as many have quoted, and does not have the Happy or Ethereal qualities that caught my attention in 1971, I DO believe they were and are great musicians and writers; they were unique and right for their time; I still enjoy hearing their music; whether the first singles and LPs, or the occasional solo releases that were done over the years; and of course the "finding" of new talent. I only wish the public had heard "Remember a Day" as often as "Money"; or "If" more often than "something from The Wall"; there are beautiful little pieces of Music and History and Memories that will be enjoyed for many years to come; at least so I believe.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The REAL "Atom Heart Mother". From Ron Geesin's new book "THE FLAMING COW Making of The Atom Heart Mother". A British Mother receives the first Atomic Powered pace-maker. You really didn't think the LP was influenced by just a milkcow in the field? :D MOO.
Attachments
From RON GEESIN's NEW BOOK on The Making of Atom Heart Mother
From RON GEESIN's NEW BOOK on The Making of Atom Heart Mother
The REAL Atom Heart MotherAAA 25001.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 11844 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another AMAZING Japanese pressing on RED VINYL; from 1968; a first release "BEST ROCK" from Japan of "Remember a Day" / "Let There be More Light" taken from Pink Floyd's 2nd LP "A Saucerful of Secrets"; on Odeon; w/ inserts, photos and great bio material in English and Japanese.

These recordings, in Mint condition, are unfortunately increasingly obscure, but if you should come across these early singles in this condition you will not be disappointed in the sound quality which is superb. If you can obtain a MINT copy, you should, OF ANY OF THE EARLY SINGLES; they will make any musical collection of quality recordings "more complete".

This particular release is just a little bit better recording in one other way, a nuanced way perhaps, but unlike so many other of the early releases, the single versions on the Japanese releases are slightly longer, more complete, and do not have that "cold-cut" that say, Canadian or German, or even some US and UK singles tend to have. The cover is quite dark, (and the thin Mylar inner I left on has added to this and distorted the coloration a bit); I do recommend this single regardless of where it was pressed. These are great songs from what I believe is the best Pink Floyd LP; that transition between Barrett and Waters, and incorporating Gilmour, for this, from a 1968 release. "Remember a day before today, a day when you were young...free to play along with time........."

"Jugband Blues", the ONLY track on ASFoS by Barrett, is coherent as can be for someone who knows he must go now. And so he did, and on permanent vacation. But he left a great legacy in essentially CREATING this band and by default, helped so many other bands and musicians along the way; Barrett wrote the first songs, sang lead and played lead guitar. Please take a look a few pages back [page 8] on those FIRST singles from Holland and France. Barrett was magnificent, and fit in with his moment in time as well as anyone could. Talented, creative, funny, odd and humanly flawed.

As the Collector and Museum worker who obtained the first UK single w/ a Barrett-Floyd Concert ticket said to me, "I (bought) "That crazy little record......(from 1967)...because I thought someday it might be of some importance." These are important pieces of musical History; the "crazy record - "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun"; along with "See Emily Play" / Scarecrow" and "Apples and Oranges"/ (w/ Rick Wright's "Paintbox") are among several Brilliant singles from someone who peered over the edge, slipped, and fell into the abyss as so many have; but few have, in their own unique way, left a mark, musical or otherwise as did Roger (Syd) Barrett. He makes me feel quite sentimental. These songs on this single were NOT written by Barrett, but are great Pink Floyd songs that many people may have missed along the way. The just "post-Underground" era that was so very good, and carried on the early sound that is still wonderful to listen to without any fear of "Bloating Stadiums of Screaming Fans".
Attachments
Japanese RED (VINYL) "Remember a Day" / "Let there be more Light"; 1968 Odeon; full(est) single versions; obsure; Mint.
Japanese RED (VINYL) "Remember a Day" / "Let there be more Light"; 1968 Odeon; full(est) single versions; obsure; Mint.
Japanese RED WAX Remember a Day with Let There be More LightA.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 11826 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Some more fun from Thailand; Firstly, a misuse of "Atom Heart Mother", but it DOES at least have a Lennon and a McCartney (Wings) song, too, on this 4 song EP from 1973 along with Englebert Humperdink and Lobo. Weird lineup here. ANOTHER take on the "Wish You Were Here" Jacket cover, but instead of the "Sandmand" photo with David Cassady et al, this release used the more common cover of the jacket, but an EP with Neil Sedaka, Abba, Jigsaw and Pilot. These, (I have many more Thai "errors" EP's), are PURELY as near-HUMOROUS additions to my collections; the sleeves are terrible in quality AND condition, the discs appear to have never been cleaned, AND look as though they were played on some 1920's gramophone. Nevertheless, they are each an amusing addition, and not priced so much that I won't miss a meal.

Thailand, a country in turmoil in the 1970's, (and before and since) when these discs were pressed and issued, is not really known for "Audiophile Equipment to be used in the Enjoyment of music". I have a c.1969 "portable record player" from Cambodia that I obtained from a veteran of the Vietnam war; that should be about right in time and quality to play these on someday. But, uh, not today

By the way, as of May 1st, 2014, I replaced the dirty "Free Thai Dirt" sleeve and disc with a new, "respectable copy".
Attachments
John Lennon, Englebert Humperdink, "Wings" and Lobo on an "Atom Heart Mother" Image. 1973, Thailand with free Thai dirt on sleeve.
John Lennon, Englebert Humperdink, "Wings" and Lobo on an "Atom Heart Mother" Image. 1973, Thailand with free Thai dirt on sleeve.
THAIAHMJohnLennonAAA.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 11816 times
another waste of good artwork of Storm. From Thailand in 1976, w/ "Wish You were Here" Jacket
another waste of good artwork of Storm. From Thailand in 1976, w/ "Wish You were Here" Jacket
ThaiWYWHerePilotaaa.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 11816 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri May 02, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Probably stating the bleeding obviouse, but there's a bit of a Pink Floyd on BBC4 tonight.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is not a copy, but a rather rare photographic print I obtained from the Bernard White Collection, taken by Irene Winston in 1967. Self Explanatory Photo w/ Syd (Roger) Barrett and the rest of Pink Floyd. It looks as though one could step into Richard Wright's pupils. This was (allegedly) Barrett's "methaqualone and LSD period"; two antithetical type compounds; but definitely effective at well, I believe it shows clearly in Barrett's eyes. [Methaqualone was sold in the 1960s through the 1980's (USA) as "Quaalude", a hypnotic sedative favored by (genuine insomniacs); and with Disco-rama Dancers to mix with amphetamines and/or cocaine. Methaqualone was outlawed >30 years ago because of the illicit market, especially with questionable pharmaceuticals coming from Mexico and Europe under varying names]. I have a great ad with "wild" Visuals from the 1960's Pharma promoting "A New Look at Sleep Therapy - Quaalude". Very Interesting Photo, shown here, as is the photo below it, in "actual" sized prints..
Attachments
Photographic Print from the Bernard White Collection, 1967 (actual size)
Photographic Print from the Bernard White Collection, 1967 (actual size)
BernardWhite IreneWinston aaa001.jpg (198.08 KiB) Viewed 11788 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another rare photographic print, this one from Brussels, in a park, in 1968; I obtained this print from a Private Collection in the Nederlands.
It is just a few months later than the "White Collection" photo; but just another blink in the band's long History. At this point, the new lineup consisted of Waters, Wright, Gilmour and Mason.
Attachments
Private Collection; Photographic Print, Brussels 1968
Private Collection; Photographic Print, Brussels 1968
PF Brussels 1968aaa 001.jpg (233.5 KiB) Viewed 11787 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Shinesalight wrote:Probably stating the bleeding obviouse, but there's a bit of a Pink Floyd on BBC4 tonight.
I would enjoy seeing and listening to some early concerts in their entirity, or even some of the early "music videos" on the large screen and sound system would be nice; but it seems the ratio of "Documentaries" to "MUSIC" is heavily weighed against the music. The band were always sticklers for quality, Richard Wright, for example was quite angry that an early "Dark Side of the Moon" Concert was NOT to be presented in the sort of "Hyper Quad" they had with their "Azimuth Coordinator", but in STEREO(!) instead. These details to attention and sometime excessiveness to even MINUTE details is partly what makes ANY band better than the "next one" in my opinion. Sloppiness is OK for "The Sex Pistols Bands", but NOT the London Philharmonic.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

ONE MORE THAI ERROR:
Using John Lennon's imagery with a interesting lineup, w/ "#9 Dream".
Attachments
John Lennon, Donnie Osmond, Tom Jones and the Eagles
John Lennon, Donnie Osmond, Tom Jones and the Eagles
THAIJohnLennonOsmondsTomJonesEagles1976aaa.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 12064 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Anyone with doubles of older PF to sell or swap, please contact me privately.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This single of "Money" and "Any Colour You Like" may be redundant, but this particular pressing, from the Netherlands, is quite a rare disc in this "as new" condition. (The Picture Sleeve has some interference from the layers of protectant plastic, but is an excellent example). Although this Sleeve may be rather "dull" compared to other issues, the disc is of the HIGHEST quality pressing. From 1973.
Attachments
Netherlands 1973 rare pressing and PS
Netherlands 1973 rare pressing and PS
PF Money Any Colour You Like 1973 NederlandsAAA 001.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 12017 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The REVERSE of "Apples and Oranges"/ "Paintbox"; the Swedish release from 1967 is rarely shown; but I thought it would be fun to share the "Blue and White" "TOP 10" of Swedish music of that moment. (A heavy protectant layer w/ an (ultra-thin) new Mylar-like insert casts a tint "artifact" which one does not see so easily w/ the naked eye). I was surprised to see the color so "not white". (I changed several of these singles protectant sleeves and white acid-free "board" supports that keep the sleeves flat and free from damage).

The OBVERSE is simply "Black and White", and is shown (above) the REVERSE. I felt very fortunate to obtain a SECOND copy after all these years; this single is not THE "rarest" of the early singles, but it is obscure! This single is one of my personal favorites of all of the Barrett singles released; along with "Paintbox" by Richard Wright. From 1967, a glimpse at a moment in "Swedish Top 10 Musical History". It is gratifying to know and find a Mint example of this obscure single & PS (and to know there are STILL such quality rarities out there for the "persistent"). MINT UK examples of this single in a "Columbia company" sleeve can still be had at a "reasonable" cost; "Apples and...." is such a Happy, Whimsical little song; and Wright's "Paintbox" is a wonderful - and very early example of his writing and musical ability. Wright's solo albums are NOT "PINK FLOYD", and they are very good. It saddens me that he is gone. I believe he was in many ways the most talented of the crowd of the "Waters" Floyd.

But do review the "TOP 10"; this Swedish release seems complete with an artist named Sven!
Attachments
OBVERSE of "Apples and Oranges"/ "Paintbox"; SWEDISH ONLY PS; 1967 w/ UK disc (in Mylar-Like insert)
OBVERSE of "Apples and Oranges"/ "Paintbox"; SWEDISH ONLY PS; 1967 w/ UK disc (in Mylar-Like insert)
PFApplesandOrangesUKSweden1967aOB 001.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 12007 times
REVERSE "TOP 10" from Sweden; Apples and Oranges/PaintBox; 1967 using a UK disc (in Mylar-Like insert)
REVERSE "TOP 10" from Sweden; Apples and Oranges/PaintBox; 1967 using a UK disc (in Mylar-Like insert)
PF Apples and Oranges Paint Box 1967 SWEDISH ONLY reverseAAA 001.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 12014 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus