pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

davedecay wrote:I downloaded a vinyl rip of this boot, it's supposed to sound good, I'll let you know when I listen

http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-lp/rhap ... nk.lp.html
http://floydboots.com/pages/r12.php

Rhapsody In Pink (The Psychedelic Years)
BBC Sessions – 1968-1971
Anderson Council Records
Cat# LSD-25 (Unofficial Release)

A4 "Embryo"
"Embryo" was released on a few Harvest Samplers on Excellent Quality vinyl pressings.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

spunder wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:The sound quality is Excellent, but much more important than even that beautiful piece, was to observe the audience. They sat on the floor or in chairs in absolute silence! The music was not interrupted, one can even hear a bad note in the orchestra from time to time; but the audience remains attentive and polite, drinking in every resonant tone and silent pause, that it is not until the very end of the last note do you hear them burst into a very long and prolonged clapping and thunderous yelling of approval that sounds of gratitude from hearing something they believe is Wonderful.
sounds good, if you could point me in the direction....!

i seem to have 'Celestial Voices' on almost constant rotation at the mo, along with the 'Golden Circle '67' tape which was previewed the other year....its this ever going to get an official release???!!!
The Video I mentioned is one of many from a Boxed Set of 12 CDs/DVDs called "Artifacts from the Floydian Dungeons"; it is VERY well done; the quality of the set is quite good; the sound only disappoints on a couple of early Live shows when the "main" power apparently went awry. I mentioned above a record store that has been "retired"; it (was) in Chicago, but because of the massive numbers of ROIOs sold, the doors were shut. That fellow had concerts of practically anyone you can imagine; I asked once for "Shox Lumania at the Peppermint Lounge", and he had THAT! (and I bought a copy).
Where you would obtain one now? I guess just put out the word. I still write letters all over the world asking for specific items, sealed or pristine, and I get responses, and recordings. Imagine no internet. I collected before any such "method" existed. And I did well, I think. Now, I still use every method I can.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here are a few interesting discs;
A "Mono"/"Stereo" edit of "Money" from Dark Side of the Moon, 1973 on a USA PROMO in a special sleeve; I received this from a friend in a radio station; he was very careful w/ recordings. He intialed it, and wrote the date the disc arrived on the (other side) of the label, (5-13-73) and saved it for me. The second is another PROMO disc, "Us and Them", same story; "Mono"/ "Stereo", USA 1973. This was a song Rick Wright had written (predominantly) some years before, but had not (yet) used; it fit in Beautifully for DSOTM.
The third is an interesting issue from Belgium, coupling "Have a Cigar" with "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", 1975. These are in a "lighter weight" Mylar, which (still) makes the images appear a bit darker, but they are still fairly clear.
Attachments
Money in MONO and STEREO USA Promo 1973
Money in MONO and STEREO USA Promo 1973
PFMoneyMonoStereoPROMOUSA1973a 001.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
Us and Them in MONO and STEREO USA Promo 1973
Us and Them in MONO and STEREO USA Promo 1973
PFUsandThemPromoMonoStereo1973USAa 001.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
Have a Cigar / Shine on you Crazy Diamond Pt1(edit) Belgium 1975
Have a Cigar / Shine on you Crazy Diamond Pt1(edit) Belgium 1975
PFHave A cigarWishYouWereHereBelgiuma 001.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Two more very nice examples from "Wish You Were Here".
The first is a (wonderful) Japanese pressing (NOTE THE CIGAR at the TOP!) w/ a unique coupling of "Welcome to the Machine"; 1975. This copy has several inserts, common to the Japanese pressings. The vinyl is extraordinary!
Secondly, is one of two copies I bought in 1975, in Italy, for (I think it was 19,000 lira each); the stickers fell off long ago, and although they are in (each copies) sealed plastic, (both were so faded that there was no point in trying to get one in the photo!)
Attachments
Have a Cigar / Welcome to the Machine Japanese; 1975
Have a Cigar / Welcome to the Machine Japanese; 1975
Have a Cigar Welcome to the Machine Japanese 1975a 001.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
Have a Cigar/ Shine on You Crazy Diamond; Italian; 1975
Have a Cigar/ Shine on You Crazy Diamond; Italian; 1975
HaveACigarShineOnYouCrazyDiamond1975 Italiana 001.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"ANOTHER BOOTLEG of a BOOTLEG"

......................I DO NOT OWN THIS "VARIANT" NOR DO I RECOMMEND IT!

Earlier, I wrote of a very nice c.1974 ROIO Box Set entitled "Crackers" that had been bootlegged itself; I saw this "variant" on Ebay.

The ORIGINAL Bootleg was NOT an oversized jacket bearing 3 LPs, but instead a nicely made Box Set w/ a "lid" upon which a COLOR PHOTO of a young lady riding an Ostrich (NOT a Stork) is seen; this "TAKRL" release, a "variant" of "TARKL" is a terrible bootleg, (the fine print on the jacket describes the details) but an excellent example of the nTH generation of rehashed hash. This copy purports to be from 1989; at any rate, interesting; but certainly not worth the $54 asked for it; at least not in my opinion. Look at the shabby condition alone! The ORIGINAL "Crackers" is far superior in both recording and overall packaging. "TAKRL" and "TARKL" are infamously terrible bootlegs. It was not unusual to see a "TAKRL" recording's jacket simply white(ish) and a "photo" Taped on w/ Scotch tape! Another "famously bad label" was "In A Pig's Eye", which produced a number of concerts by "The Who".
Attachments
ANOTHER Bootlegged Bootleg of "Crackers"
ANOTHER Bootlegged Bootleg of "Crackers"
PFCrackers1989.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 11349 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have a few more singles that you might want to see; some for the artwork, and others for the tracks contained on them. I'll try and get them out soon. Some issues are so similar from country to country that it is simply duplicative, but there are certain interesting examples up to and past the breakup in 1983.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This came TODAY!

"See Emily Play"/ "Scarecrow" UK release DB8214 1967

I did not (before today) have the "regular" release in a "company sleeve" WITH a "SOLID center". I bought it for the quality of the disc. It has been in "hiding" for many years, and the vinyl looks like new. I may use this one as a "play" copy. I bought it from a collector in the UK. Sorry, the protectant sleeve makes it appear much darker than it is and has a "staining effect".

I know it's "another one of "See Emily Play", but it is really a NICE "another one" :D

Sept 1st 2013: I made time to listen to several recordings, some of them on this thread, including THIS single. It truly was just neatly packed away for decades; the sound was everything I could have possible wanted; the only "flaw" is evidence about the spindle to show it WAS played (sometime); I didn't bother putting it under the stereomicroscope; one listen to each side was all that was required. 1967, and "put away"; now just what type of person does such things? :D
Attachments
See Emily Play / Scarecrow UK single in Columbia Company Sleeve 1967
See Emily Play / Scarecrow UK single in Columbia Company Sleeve 1967
PFaUKSEPaa 001.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 11330 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

While I "put away" the "See Emily Play" 7" disc (ABOVE), [(in a 1960's 7" "Psychedelic" looking box)], i.e. for "overflow" discs, I came across this ROIO; a 7" EP which has on side 1 a)."Julia Dream" b). "Murderistic Woman" and on side 2). "Let There be More Light".

(Since it is in one of the "really good stuff overflow" boxes, I must make a supposition that it is an OK example! What a lousy way to grade! Well, the Iconography is unmistakable, anyway! I am so very behind in my listening! My "new years resolution", (which I never make) will be to CATCH UP ON MY LISTENING! ASAP!
Attachments
Obverse of ROIO
Obverse of ROIO
PF7ROIOobva 001.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 11445 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Next to the disc (above), I found this Syd Barrett ROIO from c. 1988 that I remember as being very good.

The disc contains Studio Out-takes from 1969-1971.
Side 1). a. "Dark Globe" (alternate) b. "Word Song"
Side 2). a. "Birdy Hop" (alternate) b. "Milky Way"

This disc was purchased very soon after it became available; "Pier Platters" once had many ROIOs; the artwork may not be great, but the pressing is, for an ROIO. ]
Attachments
OBVERSE BARRETT ROIO EP c 1988
OBVERSE BARRETT ROIO EP c 1988
PF BARRETT ROIO Ex c1988obv 001.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 11431 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 29, 2014 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This "Joker's Wild" single is a recording of music made with David Gilmour from 1966; this disc was 1/1000 pressed in 1987.
Although once again the artwork is thin, the recording is much better than average. Just another interesting ROIO; a "pre Pink Floyd" Gilmour piece.
Attachments
PF David Gilmour 1966 1987firstrecordingsa 001.jpg
PF David Gilmour 1966 1987firstrecordingsa 001.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 11431 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a Pink Floyd single from Germany; "und musterplatte" TEST PRESSING of "Run Like Hell" and "Don't Leave me Now" from early 1979. I included the sleeve, which is unique to Germany, and the coupling of songs is a bit different, as are the mixes and "edits". The SOUND IS FANTASTIC! as one might expect. Some TEST PRESSINGS are more obscure than others, and so I include this one for you to enjoy. A VERY HEAVY pressing! The UK pressing is also a very hefty disc, the titles are simply "written" on, as are the USA and French TEST PRESSINGS.
Attachments
TEST PRESSING Germany
TEST PRESSING Germany
PF The Wall German TEST PRESSING labela 001.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 11430 times
Test Pressing Sleeve, Germany
Test Pressing Sleeve, Germany
PFThe Wall TEST PRESSING Germany; 1979 Picture Sleeve 001.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 11430 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This 1980 release, from Hungary, is one of the more obscure, and has a Unique "Peoples Favorite" sleeve. (It happened to be in the same "overflow" box as the 3 preceding singles; I will need to get THE Box I keep the bulk of the rarest singles back out to photograph them, which I don't mind at all. From the number of viewings, you seem interested in the singles, and I have only shown a fraction of them, but I want to focus on the ones you won't see again, or see such nice examples. I have been very particular over the years to obtain the best example I could of all of these releases, ones that are not only "rare", but in excellent condition. I obtained this copy from a Record Collector from Germany. [This was one of (2) from his collection].
The sleeve has some wrinkling, as you can see, but the pressing is VERY HEAVY and has excellent quality sound. I have noticed that Eastern Bloc countries tend to put more into the quality of the pressing than that of the sleeve. The Polish Tonpress single from "The Wall" is an excellent exception. In fact, ALL of the Polish Tonpress releases I have are in very stout "1950's EP" style jackets.

I will try to put out a few more singles soon. I do wish if you have not yet, review the singles, because I have noticed one Wonderful and very difficult to obtain little Tower Promo seems to have been overlooked by many people, or at least the number of viewings is much less than those on subsequent pages. ENJOY!
Attachments
Hungarian 1980 release
Hungarian 1980 release
PFAnotherBrickintheWallHUNGARYab.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 11416 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am posting a few more, singles that you may have seen, only these I hope, like the Hungarian single above, will be a little different. I am going to probably not be very linear, but I thought I might start working "backwards". So many of the later singles you will see have basically the same artwork from country to country; even the Test Pressings and Promos are usually similar. Ironically, some of the "gems" of my collection are GREAT to hear but very dull to look at! The Acetate of "Let's Roll Another One" is GREAT to hear (I have it on reel to reel), but not much to look at. Almost EVERY single you will see from here on exists in my collection from the USA, UK and several other countries, along w/ their promos and/ or Test Pressings, Colored Vinyls and so on. I have "narrowed them down", but I do have one more "Really Great Box"; :D I just fear they will be duplicative beyond enjoyment without at least seeing the uniqueness of their labels as well.

First, a UK PROMO example of "Take it Back" w/ "Astronomy Domine" on colored vinyl from 1994. A sort of "Plum" color. There were several colors pressed, w/ prints, (however; these sleeves are all essentially identical),
and two last examples of (many) singles from The Wall: again, the Japanese disc here is unique and different; the tracks are "Comfortably Numb" and HEY YOU". This USA Promo of "Comfortably" numb has both Long and Short versions.
Attachments
PF Take it Back 1994PROMOUKa
PF Take it Back 1994PROMOUKa
PF Take it Back 1994PROMOUKa 001.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
HEY YOU and Comfotably Numb Japanese pressing w/ booklet 1979
HEY YOU and Comfotably Numb Japanese pressing w/ booklet 1979
PFWALLSINGLEaJAPAN1979A 001.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Comfotably Numb PROMO Mono/Stereo 1979
Comfotably Numb PROMO Mono/Stereo 1979
PFComfotably Numb longandSHORTvs1979USApromoA 001.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Continuing on;
Some of Waters releases; A Promo copy of "Sunset Strip" w/ 2 dft. versions. I have a number of variants, but the sleeve is essentially the same on all of them. The 1983 UK TEST PRESSING of "Not Now John" w/ "The Heroes Return" in the PS; followed by the 1987 "Radio Waves"/ "Going to Live in L.A.", this one is a Promo white label copy from Germany; (not very linear in the time line, am I?) :D
Attachments
PF WATERS Sunset Strip 1987a 001.jpg
PF WATERS Sunset Strip 1987a 001.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
PF NOTNOWJOHNtheherosreturnUKTESTPRESSING1983a 001.jpg
PF NOTNOWJOHNtheherosreturnUKTESTPRESSING1983a 001.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
PF Waters RadioWavesGoingtoLiveinLAGERMAN PROMO1987a 001.jpg
PF Waters RadioWavesGoingtoLiveinLAGERMAN PROMO1987a 001.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These are some very nice examples of very heavy, quality pressings;
First, a USA Promo of "On the Turning Away", w/ "Run Like Hell (live)" from 1987;
and a very limited, very HEFTY "High Hopes" w/ "Keep Talking" on colored vinyl, along with several Prints;
and another USA Promo, this one of "Learning to Fly" (with two versions for Radio), from 1987.
Attachments
PF OnTheTurningAwayRunLikeHell(live)1987USPROMOa 001.jpg
PF OnTheTurningAwayRunLikeHell(live)1987USPROMOa 001.jpg (26.07 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
PFHighHopesltdColorsingleUKPROMOa 001.jpg
PFHighHopesltdColorsingleUKPROMOa 001.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
PFLearningtoFly1987PROMOUSAa 001.jpg
PFLearningtoFly1987PROMOUSAa 001.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is a French Acetate of "on the Turning Away"; it is a single sided, very heavy duty design; with vinyl over a metal disc; it stays quite flat, and as you can see in the corners, this copy has been designed for Promotional use! I have another example that is simply vinyl, but lacks one small promo indicator; from 1987. Neither type has labels. The Mylar has unfortunately obscured a circular stamping in the upper right hand corner. I think this is an interesting example of this recording.
Attachments
PFOntheTurning Away FRENH ACETATE1987a 001.jpg
PFOntheTurning Away FRENH ACETATE1987a 001.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 11445 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is a great track from Gilmour's solo album of 1978; a promo copy having two versions for radio.
Attachments
PF Gilmore1stSOLO Theres no Way Out of Here1978PROMOUSAa 001.jpg
PF Gilmore1stSOLO Theres no Way Out of Here1978PROMOUSAa 001.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

One of Waters greatest solo Albums "Amused to Death"; although it is most certainly not for everyone; I was, however impressed with this 1992 2-LP set; a VERY high quality pressing was available from the Netherlands that has Fantastic sound quality; this single is a German Promo of "What Gods Wants" Pts I & II, on a heavy pressing of great quality. Very well done. When I listen to this LP release, I generally listen to the Japanese Gold CD.

This 2nd single is a fairly limited release; a UK Promo on Pink vinyl w/ an Application for a Concert Ticket enclosed. This is also a HEAVY pressing, and is protected by a very heavily made sleeve. "One Slip"/ "Terminal Frost"; from 1987.
Attachments
German PROMO
German PROMO
PF Waters What God WantsI&II1992Germanya 001.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 11411 times
UK PROMO w/ TICKET APPLICATION
UK PROMO w/ TICKET APPLICATION
PF GilmourOneSlip Terminal Frost PROMOUK1987awTICKETappla 001.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 11424 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

And now, to return to the Beginning, without whom the Pink Floyd would likely never even existed, Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett; with a UK Pink Vinyl Promo single from a little 3-CD Box Set and Booklet of his Solo LPs and outtakes, "Crazy Diamond".

Syd passed away in 2006 at age 60; the whimsical but fleeting moments remain on 6 Wonderful little 7" singles, the LP "A Piper at the Gates of Dawn"; "Jugband Blues" from "A Saucerful of Secrets" LP, and at least (2) Solo LP's, "Barrett" and the "Madcap Laughs".

His "Arnold Layne", "Candy and a Currant Bun", "See Emily Play" and "Scarecrow" started off what would be a Underground success for the new incarnation of the group without him for 5-6 years, until "The Dark Side of The Moon", in 1973.

Then Everything changed, and not necessarily for the better.

In 1975, "Wish You Were Here", a recording that remembered their old friend and Leader, topped the charts in September, going to #1 in the USA and Britain. On June 5th, 1975, a very changed Syd was observed in the Studios; "I've been eating a lot of pork chops". The band and former producers and friends tried in vain to use Music as a "way back" for Syd that never came.
Attachments
PS  SydBarrettPinkVinyl PROMOsinglea 001.jpg
PS SydBarrettPinkVinyl PROMOsinglea 001.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 11413 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is the ONLY CD that I will likely list in this thread; but it is exceptional. It is a Radio Promo from Westwood One called "A CD Full of Secrets". It has the Early Singles that many of you like, and probably a few you may be unfamiliar with; and some unusual mixes of what so many people "expect".

Not ALL of the Pink Floyd singles were released in Picture Sleeves; and I have tried to limit the "commercial company" sleeves to a minimum in what singles I have shown you.

This CD shows up from time to time, and this specific Cover Photo says volumes regarding that particular moment in time about the band; All 5 members are there, more or less. SINCE it is available occasionally, I would encourage anyone to obtain a copy, the disc has a wonderful and diverse lineup of tracks.

Enjoy!
Attachments
WESTWOOD ONE RADIO Promo
WESTWOOD ONE RADIO Promo
Pink+FloydACDFullOfSecrets.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 11381 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I hope that the roughly 50 singles "sampler" that you have seen is not only interesting, but useful. I can understand the "Bloated Stadium SpaceCadet OverGlow" and negative points that can be made about this band. There is a wealth of material that Pink Floyd created, ergo, much that can be condemned. Only Roger Waters, Nick Mason and David Gilmour are extant;
Rick Wright succumbed in 2008 at the age of 65. A brilliant keyboardist; and a piano player w/ a classical background.

The Floyd started off with 2 singles, (you can see the 2 USA "PINK" Promos as the Tower singles, contained in this thread), and people liked what they heard. I liked what I heard; and I think that at least a few of these singles may be "new" to many of you who saw them on this thread. There is MUCH MORE to the music of this band than the "Extravagant" stadium-stage Shows. I liked this band for many reasons OTHER than simply their music; I liked the anonymity of the band members; they did, for the most part, put their music up-front, while they stayed in the shadows and provided their creations for the audience to enjoy or leave. That helps in part to explain the Flying Pigs and Flaming Aircraft onto the stage; the attention span that is so clearly evident in the "Atom Heart Mother" Concert (1968) I described earlier. Maybe people NEED spectacle. Spectacle is a very olde component of Entertainment for the Masses [SPQR]. I preferred the quieter era with intimacy of listening and hearing the music, instead of some clown who wants to be "part" of the show.

I do not like the overt political activities that Waters infused into his later, solo shows; I thought the infusion of his views into the MUSIC was enough, and he did that very well. That is my most severe criticism.

As for the music; my own "Favorites" are the first 6 Barrett singles, the First LP, and "A Saucerful of Secrets"; the "Original Sound Tracks" (which hardly make a note in the FILMS of "More" or Obscured by Clouds"; along with Meddle and a few other LPs, and unreleased tracks on Promos and acetates. I think Gilmour, Wright and Mason did a very fine job of continuing "the sound" and any "theme" that existed after 1983 and Waters' attempt to "break up the band" - and failing to do so.
After All-
The other 3 members had their adult lives and talents and energies wrapped up in "Pink Floyd", something that many years later, Waters will admit to being so; and that his Ego had then really filled the stadium overflowing, but I can't be too very harsh, for it was Waters' drive and preparation and maddening attempts at "perfection" that yielded some wonderful albums. It was he who wrote (almost) all of the lyrics; but who also may have taken a bit too much credit; after all, the other members were very good at what they did. I tend to call any Post-1984 "Gilmour's Floyd"; it was well done and had great presentation; he is a fine musician.

I like such variety, so many types and variants of Music in general, that is very hard for me to "blast" away at this or that track by almost any group that does what it does, well. I was surprised at the negative comments of "Bike"; but I suppose it is dated, and that may explain it in part; it may just grate on some peoples nerves, which confounds me. I was VERY surprised to hear that ANY Floyd track made someone "nervous"! (I am naturally wired, so that may explain why I was "immune" to any ill effects); but we all have our own tastes, likes and dislikes; I do hope that there are tracks listed that you might try, or give a long waited second try to certain selections.

This short "sampler" of Picture Sleeves and tracks, I hope, will serve to present something that may have gotten lost in the crowd and in Time. "The Pink Floyd" spans over 40 years, and 3 incarnations; there is a wide variety, yet a special "sound" in their Music, a quality to the lyrics and great talent there. Storm Thorgerson deserves GREAT credit for making the abstractions of their special sound into what are now Iconographs of Music and Popular Culture.

I have enjoyed putting up these few singles and select titles for you to peruse. (There were many more, but the duplicative titles and Photos can become dull). I feel like I balanced these selections almost as best I could. :D

It DOES help to listen on the finest system you can; there are layers upon layers of detail that make for exceptional listening.
ENJOY!
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The coupling of "Money" and "Any Color You Like" is one of the most popular singles from "Dark Side of the Moon", and so I went ahead and added it, for say "Historical" reasons. (I cropped the plastic "glare" away).
"Money" / "Any Colour You Like" 1973 USA Harvest.
Attachments
ANYCOLOURYOULIKE money 1973HarvestUSA 001a.jpg
ANYCOLOURYOULIKE money 1973HarvestUSA 001a.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 11322 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another CD; a rather Rare one, this was the first Polish CD release of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"; This is on the Selles label, (not Tonpress) and the artwork is unusual and I hope it shows clearly as possible up here.
Attachments
Premiere Polish CD release "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
Premiere Polish CD release "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
PIPERPOLANDCDa.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This NEW RUSSIAN era 2-LP set DOES follow the "Dutch" model of the "A Nice Pair"; the USA and UK versions, for example, took versions of "A Saucerful of Secrets" from "Ummagumma", rather than the original release, something I thought was foolish for the record companies to do. The pressing is listed NOT as "Melodya", but on the NEW "RUSSIAN DISC"/ "DMM" a direct to disc recording, is unplayed; I DID finally have a listen to "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" LP, and I must say I was impressed. A heavy pressing which reveals subtleties of sound and sonic spectrum that frankly, surprised me. And think, these people only had to wait 25 years after the 1st LP was released. No wonder the wall fell partly under the weight of Totalitarianism. I too would get tired of Shostakovich and a Vodka ration.
"PINK FLOYD 1967-68" 2-LP set of the First 2 LPs as they were released, 1992 on Russian pressings, from a Dealer in Kazakhstan.
On the Back Cover of this Gate Fold 2-LP set is a Discography of The Pink Floyd from 1967 to 1988.
Attachments
Kazakhstan 2-LP "PINK FLOYD" 1992
Kazakhstan 2-LP "PINK FLOYD" 1992
PFKazakhstanANICEPAIRcr.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 11540 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This 7" single is a single-sided disc on PINK wax from The Netherlands; the reverse of the sleeve has nice graphics, but they are so small that it would be difficult to convey them here. This PROMO only disc was issued to promote "A Collection of Great Dance Songs" from 1981. It may be duplicative, but this version is unique to THIS PROMO alone; "a variant of a variant", since it is an edit from the complilation LP, which is taken from a 12" single release. I should add that this SAME variant was ALSO RELEASED ON A 12" SINGLE, PINK, from the Netherlands, same Catalogue number.

The oddest thing about this release however, may be the "flimsy" (yet very strong material) JACKET; usually these Dutch releases are fantastic, and have wonderful pressings protected in a HEAVIER jacket, especially for Promotional Copies. The disc/PS are in a Mylar sleeve, and has distorted the coloration of the text, and made it darker. The colors are really quite vibrant. Both the 7" and 12" discs are Pretty; these waxes sounds Beautiful.
Attachments
REALLY PINK "Money" on Harvest; a Single Sided 7" Dutch Promo
REALLY PINK "Money" on Harvest; a Single Sided 7" Dutch Promo
Dutch PINK WAX 7inch single unique version of MONEY from A collectionof great dance songs 1981.jpg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
Unique version of "Money"; Dutch; 1981; single-sided PINK PROMO only
Unique version of "Money"; Dutch; 1981; single-sided PINK PROMO only
PF Money single-sided Dutch promo 1981 001a.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 11521 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Most of the members of Pink Floyd had not only issued Solo releases, but had produced and/ or worked with other musicians. This single, [in a thinner, Mylar protectant sleeve], is an effort with Richard Wright and the band ZEE; here with "Confusion" and "Eyes of a Gypsy", an injection molded single from the UK, in 1984, again, on the Harvest label.
Attachments
ZEE; & Rick Wright 1984 UK
ZEE; & Rick Wright 1984 UK
PF Rick Wright w ZEE Confusion Eyes of a 1984UK 001aa.jpg (19.56 KiB) Viewed 11501 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This Capitol Sampler is a White Label USA PROMO with a terrific variety of Bands and Singers. For the purpose of this thread, it is unique in that this is the only Sampler I have ever seen with the interesting track off of "UMMAGUMMA", "Several Species of small furry animals gathered together in a Cave, Grooving with a Pict". This 1969 track is the last track on the LP, which was released 5-1970. I listened all the way through both sides of a GREAT pressing; this is a GREAT LP!

The rather simplistic and not-so-clear Jacket cover is extracted from yet another sampler, on Harvest, called simply "Picnic", a 2-LP set of wonderful music. The track listing for the Capitol Sampler:
Side 1:
WARNINGS Axelrod off of "Earth Rot"
HERE COMES THE SUN The Beatles "Abbey Road"
WHY DO PEOPLE RUN FROM THE RAIN? The Sons S/T
SHADY GROVE Quicksilver Messenger Service "Shady Grove"
THE DOLPHINS Fred Neil "Everybody's Talkin' "
DAVEY Roy Harper "Flat Baroque and Berserk"

Side 2:
BRAVE NEW WORLD- Steve Miller Band "Brave New World"
ARMSTRONG- John Stewart (from a 7" single - a song about "Neil Armstrong on the Moon")
LOOK OUT CLEVELAND- The Band S/T
WE GOTTA LIVE TOGETHER- (B. Miles) "Hendrix"
SEVERAL SPECIES of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave, GROOVING With a PICT- Pink Floyd "UMMAGUMMA"
Attachments
Listen in Good Health Capitol USA Sampler 1969 B&W cover
Listen in Good Health Capitol USA Sampler 1969 B&W cover
Listen in Good Health Capitol USA Sampler 1969 B&W cover.jpg (80.94 KiB) Viewed 11473 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd ROIO 1969

Post by semisynthetic »

I FINALLY had a chance to listen to the ROIO shown below. The sound quality was nothing worth setting the Thames on fire for, but the versions and strangely reminiscent inklings of sounds that would later appear on other LPs, including some sounds I have never heard used before; Ergo, making it worth having if you really like Pink Floyd. I enjoy hearing the evolution of pieces over time, as certain bits are added, excluded or improved upon. I don't remember what this cost, but it is worth having in my collection. I have a hard time "grading" ROIO's, since there may be a reason beyond sound quality for having a copy; so maybe this is a "6 out of 10".

The First side was clearer and superior to the second side; but the interesting manner in which "A Saucerful of Secrets" track was performed outweighed the substandard quality of overall sound quality.
Attachments
Pink Floyd ROIO Reverse w/ TRACK TITLES 1969
Pink Floyd ROIO Reverse w/ TRACK TITLES 1969
PFSydBarrettBootlegPFobv2.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 11472 times
Pink Floyd ROIO Obverse 1969
Pink Floyd ROIO Obverse 1969
PFSydBarrettBootlegPFa.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 11472 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I ordered this Japanese 1971 release of the 1970 LP of a Medschool Soundtrack called "Music from the Body" by Ron Geesin and Roger Waters "of the Pink Floyd"; Yes, there are bodily function noises and weirdness, but also some nice tracks; but the true STAR is the pressing. This Japanese release is an early one, w/ insert, et cetera, and the sound quality is just fantastic! I know that these discs generally demand higher prices, but if they are maintained properly, they put digital recordings to shame, even after 40 years, no exaggeration. ALL one hears is the music or silence. After I heard this LP, I wanted to listen to Ron Geesin's "Right Through", which I have not heard in years; very bizarre stuff, but he has an uncanny way of layering rhythms and melody using musical instruments or breaking glass, whatever his deranged and creative mind conjures up. Unfortunately, I just did not have time. His latest release was a Beautiful blue wax from Czechoslovakia (that I have not yet heard). Anyway, this is probably the weirdest LP on this thread, but also one with some very good tracks. And flatulance and naughty titles for variety.:D
Attachments
Music From "The Body" OST 1971 Japanese pressing of the 1970 LP Ron Geesin and Roger Waters
Music From "The Body" OST 1971 Japanese pressing of the 1970 LP Ron Geesin and Roger Waters
PFMusicfromtheBodya1970.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 11443 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Even if I don't reply every time, I am still enjoying your details entries and cover art scans of your P.F. treasures.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I hope that these posts are both interesting and informative; I am simply sharing little bits of what I have and know to the people on this site who enjoy music, as I most certainly do, and I know you are out there!

Tonight I had a chance to have a "proper sit down and listen". A "listening session", if you will, and I have found (what others of you may already know about), but JUST IN CASE, the ROIO below, one of a series of varying quality, is a disc that anyone who likes the Pink Floyd, or would like to hear a VERY VERY well done ROIO, here it is. This "japanese" looking disc is beautifully packaged, w/ the CD version of the Japanese Obi, an insert sheet of the lineup and history, and a BEAUTIFULLY done "Dark Side of the Moon" Concert. There are SO MANY of this Title and Date, that I was hesitant to even buy it. The thing is, I had purchased another one in the series, and although the sound quality varies from track to track on the (other) one of this series, I had "a feeling" that this one may be exceptional. The DSOTM Live + Echoes encore on this disc is Fantastic!

I was so surprised, that I came in here to share this. I forgot what it cost, but certainly under $20, came in a very heavy polyethylene or very clear polypropylene plastic, and has one of THE BEST copies of this performance I have. I must have 20 or more (different) vinyl copies of this Concert; and 2 or 3 are exceptional; but frankly, this CD is better. Someone has taken a great deal of care to provide an EXCELLENT BBC source of this concert, (along with the encore, "Echoes", which usually is found as a compilation piece on other bootlegs).

The Jacket Code # is BBCP60015. I bought this less than a year ago, but have only now found I had an excellent find. It is not "perfect", whatever that may mean, but the sound quality for a CD and for a ROIO, it is one of the best I have ever heard, and I am sort of particular. I DID power up the amps, and played it through a 7.1/5.1 system, I suppose as always, a better system will yield better results on playback; but there is so much detail, and Very Low white noise. Any of you who have written me, or seen my posts know I prefer vinyl as a rule, but this is the exception that proves that rule; I am MOST OF ALL interested in THE MUSIC! The encore is very nicely done, but it is this SPECIFIC Concert that makes me very happy to share this particular release with anyone who cares. (YOU WILL NEED (A) "JAPANESE MINI-CD" Re-sealable sleeve to protect it).

The NEXT 12" Promo is another variant from the LP version that I have had for awhile, but just awhile ago "found" it.
Attachments
Exceptional "DSOTM" from the BBC + encore; dated "2011"; made to emulate an (official) Japanese release
Exceptional "DSOTM" from the BBC + encore; dated "2011"; made to emulate an (official) Japanese release
PF DSOTM ROIO 2011 001a.jpg (21.89 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Nick Mason's "Ficticious Sports" is not a Pink Floyd album, but I guess the label is Pink. :D It has a distinctly different sound, and is well, fun. "Can't get my Motor to Start" is "fun"; the flip side of this Promo only 12" single, "Hot River" is more of a serious rock and something song.
I have had this LP since it came out, but tonight I listened to the Clear Vinyl 12" Promo (of just 2 of the songs from the LP), which I had been informed is a variant from the LP released songs. The sound quality was FANTASTIC! More light bulbs gone. VERY CLEAR HIGHS and deep lows; accentuated by one of the band's singers. It is "Different", and if you see a copy of "Ficticious Sports" in the Bargain bin or whatever, try something that was a "labor of love" by the Pink Floyd's drummer
et al Somehow, I ended up with (the usual "Countries" I tend to obtain), along with a Portugese copy.

I have also included the "hype" sticker, of a square tennis ball and 2 round die; "Ficticious Sports". I forgot how well done this LP is. It was very pleasant as always to hear such beautifully sounding vinyl.
Attachments
Hype Sticker "FICTICIOUS SPORTS"
Hype Sticker "FICTICIOUS SPORTS"
Nicky Mason Can't Get My Motor to Start with Hot River Clear Vinyl PROMO dft version UK.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
12" Clear Vinyl Promo UK "Demonstration Only"
12" Clear Vinyl Promo UK "Demonstration Only"
Nicky Mason Can't Get My Motor to Start with Hot River Clear Vinyl PROMO dft version aUK.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There were a GREAT MANY singles from "THE WALL". (A friend of mine, who was a DJ at the time was reprimanded for screaming at little children who called up incessantly to hear "we don't need no education"). As an Ironic twist on that point, I have a USA single which lacks that label side; so I suppose, if one cannot read, there is no need for "labels" to tell you what you have!
Anyway, it made me think about the many singles from that 1979 2-LP set that give more information; and most of these are from South America, Central America, and Mexico. Unfortunately, it is usually difficult to find Mint or pristine discs unless the recording is obtained from another collector, a specialty dealer, or from a Radio Station PRIOR to play.
Below is a nice example, I believe, of most "latin American" releases; there is a combination of Spanish (sometimes Portugese) and English on the Disc Labels, and usually on the sleeves as well. Below is the reverse side of a "common" WALL 7" single from Mexico; there is much more information, (but unlike the label, on the sleeve, it is a little easier to see the "Extras"). I believe that the sleeve states the disc was "Recorded in France and the sleeve was Printed in Mexico".
From Mexico, the reverse of the Sleeve:
Attachments
PF "Another Brick in the Wall PTII" w/ "One of my Turns" 1979 Mexico"El Disco es Cultura"
PF "Another Brick in the Wall PTII" w/ "One of my Turns" 1979 Mexico"El Disco es Cultura"
PF WALLpt2 One of my Turns MEXICO 1979rev 001A.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 11361 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"Atom Heart Mother" was a symphonic piece of sorts w/ Choir and vocalizations; along with "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", Parts I, II and III, "Summer '68", "Fat Old Sun" and "If"; released in October, 1970, this particular copy is rather a unique example of this really very, very well done Album. First issues are "looped" at the end, where one hears water dripping, and so it is easy to tell from that simple bit of information which of the many variants are first releases (if you care). This Japanese Odeon QUAD LP is not only quadrophonic, but a unique mix from Japan ONLY.
That is, if you own the UK or Australian release, it will be different than this LP. This is, by the way, the FIRST Pink Floyd LP given the "quad" treatment. As usual, the sound quality of this Japanese disc is MAGNIFICENT; music where there should be music, and silence where THAT should be. If you should buy a Japanese album and it does not perform in this way, it was not cared for properly, and that is too bad. I have several hundred of these releases, and only ONCE in all these years did a (new) copy ever need to be returned. (The LP was stamped off-center, and now I wish I had kept it! But back then, they were a whopping $16.99!) For many reasons, more Japanese "YSL" or other original Japanese vinyl LP's are making there way into the market in greater numbers than I have seen in awhile. There are also some "ROIO "japanese" discs; but surprisingly, most of these are quite good! With the Originals however, there is no guesswork, and almost ALWAYS an OBI, inserts, booklets or unique artwork that make owning them just a little bit better. Yes, they can be pricey. They are worth it. In this case, a "quiet-passages filled LP" is indeed quiet, with horns and orchestral pieces that sound clear and "real". So, here is "Atom Heart Mother", Unique to Japan, Quad; on Odeon, 1970. This is a PROMO copy. (I am using a stock photo).
This album utilized the talents of the delightfully Mad Ron Geesin.
Attachments
Pink Floyd AtomHeartMother Quad Japanese LP RECORD (PROMO).jpg
Pink Floyd AtomHeartMother Quad Japanese LP RECORD (PROMO).jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have mentioned "Ron Geesin" several times, and since I have a photo of this bizarre and wonderful work - "Right Through", you can see Ron is inviting you into the "book of his life"; go on in! This may not be an easy recording to find, he was never quite "top 10" w/ the masses, but IF you see this madness in Mint condition, I suggest you give it a whirl.
CAUTION
: May make some people nervous! Wine or other sedatives may be required (pro re nata).
"Right Through" Ron Geesin, 1977; UK copy. (While I was looking for a better photo, I went to get the LP and found a 2nd "spare" w/ the original $5.98 price tag. I must have bought this at least 30 years ago!) I don't FEEL that old.......maybe I should get my slide rule and double check that. Oh, by the way, the OBVERSE is brightly colored, but the REVERSE (with the tag, is just a bit weirder, but NOT as colorful); just to be clear.
:D
Attachments
REVERSE SIDE OF LP JACKET [SEALED] w/ price tag; UK release 1977
REVERSE SIDE OF LP JACKET [SEALED] w/ price tag; UK release 1977
Ron Geesin Right Through 1977 SEALED w pricetag 001.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
Stock Photo of OBVERSE of JACKET "Right Through" 1977
Stock Photo of OBVERSE of JACKET "Right Through" 1977
Ron Geesin Right Through LP RECORD.jpg (40.54 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Samplers, or Promo Compilations are always fun, and when you have labels like Tower, or Harvest, et cetera, they are a "must have". Here is "A Harvest Picnic-a breath of fresh air" (yeah, the shoot where Capitol swiped a shot for THEIR sampler); and you can read many of the Bands; but for this thread, Pink Floyd's UNRELEASED "Embryo" is found with the best sound quality possible. (And) Syd Barrett's "Terrapin" is on here too. I really like this one. (I left the image a little larger so the Bands were easier to read off the jacket.)
A GREAT track from "Joy of a Toy" is on here, along w/ a lot of Wonderful music.
Attachments
Harvest Label Picnic A Breath Of Fresh Air DOUBLE+LP.jpg
Harvest Label Picnic A Breath Of Fresh Air DOUBLE+LP.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is an interesting bit of Ephemera; a 1974 Tour Programme in the form of a comic book; I have (2) different examples, one has lyrics from what will be "Animals"; but the second also has a very nasty little lyrical piece of what will evolve into "The Wall".
It is interesting, but I never really cared for comic books. The lyrics do give great 20/20 hindsight into what was going on in the minds and emotions of the band, most especially being fed up with a very different, "NEW" type of audience.
Attachments
1974 Tour Programme
1974 Tour Programme
The Pink Floyd 1974 TOUR PROGRAMME.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Members of Pink Floyd were involved with a number of bands; (and there have been many people in differing ways associated with the band). This 7" single "Problem Child"/ "You Take My Money" by The Damned is one of many examples. Nick Mason stepped in and produced this single and band in 1977; The Damned WANTED Syd Barrett to produce them, but he was, uh, busy. I found this "stock" version; but it is cropped weirdly; but nothing "vital" is missing. I have tried to use my own photos, but sometimes a stock photo saves some time.
Attachments
THE DAMNED
THE DAMNED
PF Nicky Mason TheDamnedProblemChild7PSa.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 11456 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I found another WONDERFUL, essentially PRISTINE Japanese release from 1972; a White Label Promo Soundtrack of "Obscured by Clouds", Music from the film "The Valley". The Promo comes with a unique OBI, a booklet and artprints on a silk-covered Jacket of truly extraordinary quality. The disc appears to be possibly unplayed; but by the look of the spindle and knowing the collector, I am not worried. A wonderful Soundtrack, and an interesting film, this original Odeon release should prove to be a really great listen. Although this photo was cropped, this jacket has rounded corners, as all early examples do.
You may be interested to know that there was such a demand for this LP in the UK, that a special pressing was MADE IN THE USA for the UK, around 1975, using British sleeves. I have an example that looks in EVERY way "British", but says "Made in USA" on the label.
My collection includes "Obscured by..." from the UK, a [sealed] USA copy w/ "movie" sticker, an Israeli release, a German, a French, and an (open) USA "play" copy, a 1973 Japanese general release (also with the prints and extra goodies) along with a Portugese and a copy from India, (and the special commision UK/USA release).
(You have seen some of the singles on earlier pages).
This Promo is the "icing on the cake" of "Obscured by Clouds" for my musical "Arkiv".

Note the rectangular box on the upper left hand side of the label; it is Japanese for "Promotional Copy".

(Many years ago, I worked in a clothing factory loading boxes; 2 tons onto trucks every 3 days. The factory had a "carousel" 8-track player which people who worked there could bring in an 8-track, and enjoy over these huge speakers that were loud enough to overwhelm even the machinery caucophony; I brought THIS, which ends with Native singing and chants. The manager laughed like crazy! Although he did jokingly suggest I NOT bring music that "would slow down production", because all of the little old ladies who were sewing became distracted; so much so, it became so quiet, that the manager thought the equipment was broken! (But The Native singing and Chants were VERY EASILY HEARD!)
Attachments
PF ObscuredByClouds+Art+Print+LP RECORD LABELa.jpg
PF ObscuredByClouds+Art+Print+LP RECORD LABELa.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 11454 times
PF ObscuredByClouds+Art+Print+LP RECORDa.jpg
PF ObscuredByClouds+Art+Print+LP RECORDa.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 11454 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

wow, that's a beautiful piece! ^^^
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

davedecay wrote:wow, that's a beautiful piece! ^^^

Thank You; I waited quite awhile for this Recording, a (COMPLETE) Japanese White Label Promo, (in this condition).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This next example is Pink Floyd's FIRST release, but this time, from Holland. These pressings are almost always superior in sound quality; along with a Picture Sleeve unique to Holland, but very similar to the UK release. The sleeve is slightly wrinkled, as you can see; but exceptionally obscure, and extremely difficult to find an example in such wonderful condition as this. The vinyl still shines; no markings or marks or even evidence of spindle wear. A very nice example of Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett), of their premiere release.

The little single that started everything, "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun", 1967. I am partial to this copy because it isn't seen all that often, but especially because it has Syd Barrett on the sleeve. (I removed the outer layer of Mylar for this one, because the PS is dark already, especially the "Next Projected Sound" side). The paper is VERY thin, but "tough"; and the disc sounds Wonderful. I bought this from a collector in Holland who was extraordinarily "particular".

[Sept 11th 2013]: I've added the OTHER side of the single PS, for this image, in its own way, has become "Iconic". "The Next Projected Sound"; the Promo Poster (for "See Emily Play") would be changed very soon to read "The NEW Projected Sound". Only a little over 46 years ago.
Attachments
"THE NEXT PROJECTED SOUND" from Holland 1967
"THE NEXT PROJECTED SOUND" from Holland 1967
PF Arnold Layne Candy and a Currant Bun Holland OBVaaa 1967.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 11380 times
First Release fom Holland; w/ unique to Holland PS; 1967
First Release fom Holland; w/ unique to Holland PS; 1967
PF Arnold Layne Candy and a Currant Bun Holland 1967a.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 11417 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

now i'm on the hunt for a rounded-corner issue of Obscured by Clouds.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Dutch copy, this one is from "Obsured by Clouds"; "Free Four" / "The Gold its in the...". In Mylar, it is REALLY pink. From a Radio Archive.
From 1972.
Attachments
PF Obscued by Clouds 7 Dutch 1972 Radio Archiveaa.jpg
PF Obscued by Clouds 7 Dutch 1972 Radio Archiveaa.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 11377 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

davedecay wrote:now i'm on the hunt for a rounded-corner issue of Obscured by Clouds.
I neglected to say that the Original USA and Canadian releases did NOT have the rounded corners. The ONLY USA made disc that does, was placed in "rounded-corner-jackets" made in the UK and are rarely found. The Israeli and Indian issues ALSO have a "regular" square Jacket; but by far the BEST sound quality will be found in original UK, Dutch, German, and especially, the Japanese releases. You will find whatever you want if you search with patience and means.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have (sort of) wanted to have this matted and framed for a very long time. A very good friend of mine, who is now gone, owned a Radio Station, and obtained this "in person", and gave it to me, (with, as so often I hear, "it will be "safe" with you"). I have kept it in a vault of paper items and my rarest books; but I thought I would retrieve it, and see if I could manage an acceptable photo to share with you. It is in a "shadow box" with glass Please overlook the lousy photographer.
What a Wonderful Gift I was given; "olde friends are dearest" indeed. When I open the glass, I'll see if there is anything remakable in the Programme that I have forgotten. My friend was a very early Floyd fan, and this booklet meant a great deal to him; so I was honored by the gift and sentiment.

This is a Concert Booklet from Early 1970; all of the Floyd that are in the photo signed it, but unfortunately "Nicky" signed his name in pencil (or not such a great ink pen), and it just wouldn't show up through the glass and with my inferior camera and the GLARE!, but I thought you might enjoy it.

"Nicky" is what "Nick Mason" apparently preferred; but the names as they appear on the 1st single are not condusive to "Nicky". Maybe when this booklet is "properly" presented, it will be easier to see his signature.
I just do not like the idea of NOT being able to look at the booklet every decade or so (that is why it STILL is not Framed)
Attachments
Autographed Tour Booklet. 1970; Richard Wright,  David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Nicky (Mason)
Autographed Tour Booklet. 1970; Richard Wright, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Nicky (Mason)
PF Autographed Concert Booklet 1970a.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a very nice example of THE SET of the FIRST TWO SINGLES, 1967 French EP with "Arnold Layne", "Candy and a Currant Bun", and on the "b" side, an edit of "Interstellar Overdrive" unique to this single, WITH "See Emily Play" and "Scarecrow"; Very nice Colors! (and a train in B&W) I hope they show up well. These discs are exquisite; I luckily found and obtained these from The Netherlands. The FIRST French EP release; (Very Pretty), and it has Syd as well; and the SECOND French Single; Nice! (Unlike other countries, "See Emily Play" from France was in a proper hard jacketed & laminated sleeve, as is the French "Arnold Layne"). :D
Attachments
Premiere EP + "Interstellar Overdrive" (edit) FRANCE 1967
Premiere EP + "Interstellar Overdrive" (edit) FRANCE 1967
PF FRANCE EP 1967a.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
2nd Single "See Emily Play" w/ "Scarecrow" FRANCE 1967
2nd Single "See Emily Play" w/ "Scarecrow" FRANCE 1967
PF See Emily Play with Scarecrow FRANCE 1967a.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Dutch Treat; the 1968 release of "Point me at the Sky" and "Careful with that Axe, Eugene". A GREAT picture sleeve did not help; this single charted badly.
It is well done, but by late 1968, I believe their exploration of longer pieces helped to doom the single-writing days of Syd Barrett, who by now was on permanent vacation. (Besides, I think Barrett was just "better" at these whimsical, happy, triple entendre songs than Waters, whose talents were in a different direction). To see Barrett above on that Dutch single, and what happened to him just rips at anyone who has known someone who went to see the wizard and never came back. "Careful with that Axe..." was usually the LAST song of a Concert set, since it was rather wearing on Waters' vocal chords! An interesting variant appears on the "Zabriskie Point" OST, as "Come in Number 51, Your time is Up". There are also many "variants" and evolutions of this piece available on a great many ROIOs. A well made, heavy Jacket and pressing; what one expects from Dutch releases. Other than Japanese releases, Dutch waxes are wonderful to hear. This is NOT a wax, but an impressive pressing.
Attachments
PF Point Me at the Sky and Careful with that Axe Eugene Holland 1968aaPS
PF Point Me at the Sky and Careful with that Axe Eugene Holland 1968aaPS
PF Point Me at the Sky and Careful with that Axe Eugene Holland 1968aaPS.jpg (176.87 KiB) Viewed 11347 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I have a copy of Pompei on bootleg vinyl, a label called instant analysis? Picked it up for just £5 a while back, I believe it's a pretty rare item though... Comes with an insert as seen...

Also have a BBC transcriptions LP in this kind of sleeve... On green vinyl...
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am sorry, but at the time I wrote this, JamesT, the images of the recordings you discuss were not shown.

The "Live at Pompeii" bootleg is one of many; and are taken of course, from the film. If it the one I am thinking of, it has a tile mosaic centered in the middle of the jacket, right? That is the Instant Analysis copy I know of. The "Concert" without an audience, is essentially a very nicely done Music Video of great pieces, with interviews, along with a little bit of "making of" The Dark Side of the Moon. This "concert" is one of my favorite Floyd videos; I enjoy watching "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Echoes" being played. I would like to be able to see your example and the Insert Sheet.

I can see the appeal to have the music on disc; but earlier attempts had a lot of white noise from the tape of the film; with the advent of the DVD, one can simply play that. I do have a few "Pompeii" ROIOs; ironically, the BEST artwork had the WORST sound, and the BEST sound had minimal or not-so-great artwork. A CD version has a inlaid tile face from the ruins of Pompeii as a cover insert and has not so great sound quality, as this particular one was obviously made via VHS without the right equipment.

Like many VHS releases that went to DVD's, there were some changes in "Pompeii"; I prefer the original for a very few minor reasons, but the last time I "listened", I watched the DVD.

I can't see the BBC Transcriptions you alluded to, but generally THE originals are known by their heavy pressings; I do have a Brazilian BBC Service disc that is a milky green color, and is very heavy indeed! It is a promo with interviews and music for a "Momentary Lapse of Reason". I have recently purchased about 5 CD's that promote themselves as having BBC reference sources, the "best" of the lot was the ROIO 1974 "Dark Side of the Moon" a few pages back. I really do like the originals!; they were well cared for, excellent pressings with cue sheets. I have managed to obtain a number of them over the years, and they never disappointed me! It is getting harder (or at least more costly), to obtain high quality EARLY BBC discs.

I believe I have seen a translucent green pressing w/ a "BBC" logo on a tan and creme colored jacket, but there was no track listing or even a hint of what was on it; (maybe I just didn't look hard enough).

Unfortunately, I was unable to view your images.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

James T wrote:I have a copy of Pompei on bootleg vinyl, a label called instant analysis? Picked it up for just £5 a while back, I believe it's a pretty rare item though... Comes with an insert as seen...

Also have a BBC transcriptions LP in this kind of sleeve... On green vinyl...

this image link loads for me (i removed the s. at the beginning of the url)

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The BBC disc is early recordings, from what I can recall. Not listened to it in a long while.

The Pompei pressing is very noisy, but nice to have all the same.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I spent a long time downloading every floyd live bootleg I could find, had a hard drive full of hundreds and hundreds. Pretty sure I had a copy of every wall show, all the animals tour.. (well, that was in circulation anyway). Unfortunately the hard drive died, and with it went my soul.... Not got many rarities of theirs on LP any more, have the high hopes 12" and a few others. First press of dark side...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I also have a French Pink pressing of Animals, still in the plastic with a sticker saying Disque Rose or something like that....

To me the sound quality on this was superior to my standard uk issue on black, but unfortunately I dropped it and it now has a small mark through Pigs which is audible. Still a nice item. I think I read there was a pink issue sold publically, but that there was also a promo sent to stations which is what I believe I bought. Maybe you can shed some light on that exact pressing...

EDIT: this appears to be the pressing I have, label and sleeve sticker etc... Not cheap on discogs!!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

(I regret that I am unable to see your image, but I have a good idea I know what it is). You have several nice LP's to have in your collection. (Did I describe the "Pompeii", Instant Analysis, or at least the cover, correctly?)

Yes, I am familiar with the French Promo; some indicate the pink vinyl, and another variety has a "pig" on it along with tour dates. I happen to have these two, and another that says only "Special Disc of the Pink Floyd!" The Japanese, the Dutch and the French tended to make more of these special releases around Tour time than other countries did. I have a Beautiful White-wax of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" that coincided with a Tour; it sounds fantastic. Better than a "regular" release, and certainly better than a digital recording. The Japanese tended to issue special and unique 7" discs, as did the Dutch, that coincide with Live Performances.

Generally speaking, Promo discs are MADE to sound great; they are usually pressed on a better medium, and pressed well, which takes some time to do; of COURSE the record companies (or the artist) WANTS you to like how it sounds; on the radio or otherwise! I like to obtain Promos from the better sound quality alone; along with a data sheet or photos and sometimes, even a complete Promo Set with all kinds of extras; but the GREATEST EXTRA is the sound quality. You are right that the French Promo IS superior to say, the same LP on a regular French pressing. The trick is to get them and keep them in mint condition before they are ever "airplay-fodder".

Regarding any other "Pink" discs, the Dutch released practically everything on Pink pressings. Regarding other Promos, of course there are many from 'round the world; but there is a very sadly made USA Promo which is supposed to look like a Bootleg; just stamped "PINK FLOYD - ANIMALS" on a whitish background; I cannot get over how poorly the USA has made recordings for YEARS! I remember a Who LP I bought in the 1970's; (late), and it took maybe 5? attempts; they were using RECYCLED vinyl and that is a very poor choice. I DID get a copy by some miracle, but the German, UK, Dutch and Japanese ALL make the US release look and SOUND pathetic. I try to buy a variety for different reasons; packaging, some obscure (and to most people probably boring reasons); but I buy specific releases for their superior sound quality, because that is what (ultimately) matters most to me.

"Rarity" is pointless unless Quality of the recording and packaging corresponds. That is my opinion, anyway. Below is a "Rarity" that illustrates that point. Simplicity and GREAT SOUND from a little 7" disc.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Simplicity here; "Arnold Layne" and "Candy and a Currant Bun" in a company sleeve; the vinyl is new; the sleeve tells you to care for the recording and your stylus; and so there you have it! No fancy PS or anything but a Mint disc from 1967, from the UK. The First release from the Pink Floyd.

Of course I enjoy all of these singles and LPs and Promos; especially the first releases in Picture Sleeves that remained in "stasis" over the years, and were well cared for; this little disc certainly was; and the sound can rattle the house, and Most CLEARLY, too!

The "extras" are Great, but they do not override the quality and fidelity of the sound. That is why I put this little, simple example, here. It is always about the music, or, more specifically, the QUALITY of the sound.
Attachments
PF 1st Single from the UK, issued in a simple company sleeve 1967
PF 1st Single from the UK, issued in a simple company sleeve 1967
PF Arnold Layne Candy and a Currant Bun 1967aa UK.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 11092 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

James T wrote:I spent a long time downloading every floyd live bootleg I could find, had a hard drive full of hundreds and hundreds. Pretty sure I had a copy of every wall show, all the animals tour.. (well, that was in circulation anyway). Unfortunately the hard drive died, and with it went my soul.... Not got many rarities of theirs on LP any more, have the high hopes 12" and a few others. First press of dark side...
I am sorry you lost these recordings; but I am old fashioned, I can better manage and care for recordings of greater mass than that of electrons........Personally, I have never been much of a "downloading" person. UNLESS I can place that on a disc, even a CD.

But, that is me. You will find "various rarities" are still available if you are patient and willing to $pend a bit more than you may have used to.

So now, if you choose, you have a 2nd chance at building a New Collection, perhaps of the recordings that many of those bootlegs you lost were taken from. I see more and more VERY WELL BOOTLEGGED LPs almost every day! Some of the copies of real, but obscure recordings are being copied incredibly well. There are more vinyl re-releases because of the interest people have shown in either original copies, or in vinyl itself. In the last week, I ordered more ROIOs than I had in months; the quality and variety are "iffy" as ever, but there are some incredibly well done "forgeries" of Official releases at just a fraction of what the "original" would cost. Of course prices vary, especially as regards condition; but you can replace a great deal of (Pink Floyd) music for $100.00. The "Oh by the Way" Box of CDs is sealed for $65. That's not bad.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is an OSCURE disc! A single sided UK Test Pressing of "It Would be so Nice" from 1968. This is another one of those rarities that was carefully placed inside a protectant sleeve, inside of a 7" white, heavy jacket, and left undisturbed for many years. I bought this from an "obsessive" collector who thankfully took extremely good care of this disc, and I was very happy the day I added it to my "Arkiv". I have only seen two of these in this condition in over 40 years. It is a great song, happy, but ethereal; dreamy and otherworldly. A wonderful song written by the late Richard Wright. The flip side of the released and finished single was "Julia Dream", another great song; I added the "finished product" just for fun; it was shown many pages back.
These are some of my personal favorites, and early material before the "bloated excessiveness" that turns so many people off, and I can understand why. If you are "unsure" of what to listen to of the Floyd (assuming you want to listen to ANYTHING), obtain "Masters of Rock" (Dutch, German or Italian), or "Relics", or "The Best of Pink Floyd" (1970, Dutch). The Soundtracks are all quite good too; and not necessarily what you might expect. Anyway, one should enjoy what one likes inside, and not feel pressure from the "crowd" to like or NOT like whatever music is brought up. It is Alien to me to even consider such a way of decision!
Attachments
"It Would be so Nice" w/ "Julia Dream" UK release 1968
"It Would be so Nice" w/ "Julia Dream" UK release 1968
itwouldbesonicfe35b 001.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 11088 times
PF It would be so Nice SINGLE SIDED PROMO UK 1968A in a white jacket
PF It would be so Nice SINGLE SIDED PROMO UK 1968A in a white jacket
PF It would be so Nice SINGLE SIDED PROMO UK 1968a.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 11088 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Your collection is fantastic! Last night I met Roger Waters and he signed my Wall CD. I wish I took my LP, but it was pissing with rain and I didn't want to carry it round.

In terms of official releases of course I buy these and don't just download. I spent a lot of time downloading the live recordings because I simply can't afford to buy them! If I was to buy all the Floyd I want, I would never have any spare money to buy anything else haha.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And yes, you were right in your descriptions about Pompei. It comes in a yellow sleeve with a paper insert of a family b/w. It spells Pompeii as Pompei.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

JamesT, if you can readily download what you genuinely want MOST, then why not burn them onto CDs? Over time, I think you could take these "masters" you have made from the downloads, and with a little equipment, maybe even clean them up a bit if needed. I know that $$ is very often a problem, and certainly the limiting step to obtaining special items; but the memory of a musician and artist in the rain, signing a disc for you is something you cannot simply "order" and "buy"! You have the memories and the signed disc!

[ For several months, I was quite ill, over 10 years ago. The living room that overlooked the meadows and streams was made into a "hospital room". I could not bear light nor sound; and this continued for almost a year. I had ONLY the memories of the music I liked to "play" in my head; I could barely stand to be read to; and I was unable to read to myself; the pain was excrutiating.]

So here I was, someone who had music on essentially constantly in one form or another; sometimes layered sounds and what I called "Homemade Ambient" to amuse myself; but now I could only listen in my mind!

Maybe there is much more to saving discs from downloads than I am aware of; friends have sent me downloads, but I made CD's out of them; or almost all of them, anyway. That seems to be a reasonable and affordable method to obtain and KEEP the music without the problem of a drive crashing and losing it all. My daughters showed me the latest and greatest drives, and although small, and likely convenient, I would not want to trust them as my only reference. But, like I said before, I am kind of old fashioned about many things.

Anyway, I am very Happy for you to have had a Fun evening; I have always enjoyed Waters music; I don't have THAT many bootlegs of the concerts, but I am fairly completist on his "official" releases. (and those pieces that appear only on Promos or test pressings).
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

the way you keep your data safe is to make 1 or more copies of it.

yes, a hard drive can be $50, $100, $200 - but how upset would you be if you lost it all?

same with physical records, tapes, discs - are you insured against loss? have you cataloged everything and keep a copy off-site in case of fire or other disaster?

you can buy inexpensive online backup for dollars a month if your internet speed will handle it.
one good example is Crashplan, i think it's less than $5 per month, unlimited data for 1 computer.

back to Floyd - I am looking for a decent copy of Atom Heart Mother on vinyl, but i don't see any bargains. if anyone stateside has a link or two to share, please do.

I had a really lousy copy that I created art from, here's a link to it - hope none of you get mad.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/162826183/ ... r-lp-album
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Of course I would not be at all pleased if I lost the only source of data; and as I said, I would prefer to make CDs out of downloads so that they could be played on something more like a sound system eventually.

(I do use computers everyday, or nearly so; my work was surrounded by computers in all manner of devices; I ENJOY certain aspects of using computers; I just am not satidfied with them as a substitute for a sound system, and that is about it).
They can be used for all manner of things, computers ARE a very versatile tool.

But I would still rather have the physical disc! For one thing, I like analogue recordings. For another, static electricity or a voltage surge is not going to wipe out hundreds of my recordings. I can understand the idea and appeal of downloads, but it is just that they do not appeal to me.

What do you call a "bargain" for Atom Heart Mother? Is there a price range range that you would be happy with? I have noticed that as more people want to "return" to vinyl, than naturally the better the condition, the more they can cost. I have bought [sealed] copies of a great many recordings these last few years at prices that were sometimes just a few percent over used prices! I have also found many items that were bargains in my way of looking at it; that is, simply comparing what I have seen many copies sell for versus what I paid for an excellent, Mint or very near so copy of just about all genre I tend to buy.

Sometimes the best prices are for a copy whose cover was not in protective plastics, but the disc(s) were not played or monkeyed around with; you cannot always judge the LP by its cover!

Why should what you may choose to do with a disc or jacket bother anyone; it IS yours to do with as you choose, is it not?
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The AHMother mirror appears to setting upon a military armament box; is that correct?
(It is a Vietnam Era armament box that would all manner of weaponry or spare parts. These were very handy, and cheap to buy for many years, until it was decided that these wooden boxes should now be Verboten).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is one of those ROIO purchases I don't make so often anymore, but this issue was known to me, so I bought it. I have not yet heard it, but I believe I know what to expect; when I DO have a chance to listen, I will share my good fortune (or my mistake!).
This "Ivor Wynne" is an ROIO LP from c.1975; and has a mix of tracks centered around Wish You Were Here, earlier tracks and live.

The jacket does a very good job of describing the "4 Basic Elements", Air, Water, Earth, and the Fire (of the Desert). I like the Aztec touch. Storm was very big on that Idea for "Wish You Were Here"; the 4 Elementals and "Absence". Very Nice.
But how will it sound?
Attachments
PF "Ivor Wynne" 1975 ROIO
PF "Ivor Wynne" 1975 ROIO
PF Ivor Wynne 1975aa.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 11043 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

well, as for Atom Heart Mother and relative 'bargains,' i'm afraid i don't have much spare money for records, i tend to shop very cheap in a great used shop nearby. i have found amazing deals for $1 - $10.

that said, there's a music expo coming on Oct 6, so i will probably look there before buying online. you are right about the condition of the vinyl, i prefer pristine wax with a scuffed sleeve!

looking on discogs, here is a sampling of US sellers;
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master ... ted+States

since they start at $18 and quickly go up, looking at VG+ and NM or M vinyl, there's a "mint canadian import repress" for $30 - do you know if that pressing is supposed to be good?
http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Pink-F ... r/97263178

this one is $25 but may accept a lower offer, and has low shipping
http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Pink-F ... /107538530

are there any particular pressings to avoid, country- or label-wise?

so, ideally, i would rather not spend over $30 at this time, as i have loads of other financial obligations and credit card debt to pay down, but you know - sometimes we have to treat ourselves. plus i am selling off some records from my large collection that i no longer care about so i can buy the ones that i do want more.

regarding the mirror, it was set upon a wooden box, i'm not sure of its origins, but i do know it's old.