pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

There is one disc that has the closest thing to an "Ideal" recording of the coupling just mentioned, "Vegetable Man" and "Scream your last Scream Old Woman in a Casket". It is a 10" White Wax from Holland I obtained 30+ years ago. Someone had used a very clean copy of possibly the MasterTape; it wouldn't be the first time someone in the industry played with a Master of a Pink Floyd recording. An example that comes to mind is a Pink Vinyl "Test Pressing", 1 of 5 made, with a very clean "A Saucerful of Secrets" Master on one side, and an interesting version of "Amazing Grace" and other Hymns on the flip side; it is stamped "Capitol" with an inscription scratched in the Dead Air space. Very Nice. I bought that in c.1977, along with a (official) copy of Animals on Pink Wax from France, made in Holland. It was about this time I obtained roughly a dozen or so of the first of several batches of Capitol & Columbia Record documents; very insightful; I have long intended to share some of these on this thread - it is only a matter of "which cabinet are they in". I know there is another ROIO that has these and with very good sound, too; but I cannot picture the cover or title, but I do remember it was an early bootleg....I'll have to look. But the White Wax was wonderful. I have written many times that I did not obtain that many ROIO's, but over the years they added up. Over the last 5-6 years, I have bought maybe 30 CD releases, and not quite that many vinyl. Probably.

The "official" reason for not releasing the 2 Barrett songs has always been "the sound quality"; but the same argument was used for years with "Embryo"; it is found on Harvest Samplers, and was eventually placed on the "Works" LP. At one time, I believe it was deemed not worth it to the record companies to press the single with "Vegetable Man" and "Scream your last Scream Old Woman in a Casket"; but Barrett's popularity has grown with time, and if whatever company holds the rights to these 2 "unreleased classics", I hope they will NOT give it the 1000 copy treatment or something like it; I'm annoyed with these releases most people cannot find or afford! Thirty years or more ago it might have made some sort of economic sense for the Record Company, but this gimmicky "limited" release is very unfair to the many people who enjoy Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, a number which has grown over time. I can understand a collector who willingly pays Xk dollars for truly, original rarities, (like certain Promos, some shown on this Thread, in very limited numbers from Nordic Countries back in 1967) - but I do not like the "artificial rarities" that are created by and for any number of Bands and Artists, especially bands that have a long history and a large following. Independent labels and smaller companies have a very different vision of scale, and to produce even 500 recordings can be their limit, but surely EMI and other large labels can press these pieces without the "Limited Edition for Collectors" and that sort of thing.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd "A Great Set" ROIO

Post by semisynthetic »

While looking for the White Wax mentioned above, I came across a Beautifully packaged 3LP Set from the "Animals" era; it is fashioned to mimic "A Nice Pair"; with 9 photos on each front, middle, and back of the tri-gate-fold jacket. The Center Photo on the Front of the Jacket has a colorized image of "Floyd, (the barber)", from the 1960's Andy Griffith Show; Floyd is colored quite Pink, ergo "PINK FLOYD". Bootleggers tended to be more careful and subtle than what I see now.

I tried to take photos, and I intended to share at least the photos so that if you should come across this 3LP Set, you would know it by sight, and know it is a very nice "set". The Artwork is well done; if you can recall "A Nice Pair", the center top photo is that of a young lady with "a nice pair/pear"; this 3LP copy has artwork showing the a young lady with "a great set (of 3 breasts)", along with photos, which like "A Nice Pair", with "a fork in the road", a "nice kettle of fish" and so on, instead gives hints as to the titles within; from live pieces from The Dark Side of The Moon to Wish You Were Here and Animals.

This Set folds open to a trifold jacket housing the 3LPs. The sound quality is very good, and I recommend it.

[It is storming very hard here, and that interferes with my satellite dishes; so in a few days, I will try to Post (probably newer Photos than I have now). The current photos, well, are simply terrible, and need another try].
It is "A Great Set". I look forward to playing it again; but right now, the storm is the Wagnerian Music in the Night. Great low notes, and thunder that rattles the Earth. My not-so-trusty IPhone is doing the work tonight, but it has limitations. Another complete Thread could be created if I shared Pink Floyd (and related) Bootlegs only; but it is probably best to share a few here. It is ironic I think, that some of the Greatest music on these Bootlegs have some of the worst or boring Artwork, while many with Fantastic Artwork on the Jackets house terrible recordings. "Don't judge a ROIO by its Cover".

The cartoon says "now we'd like to play some of our favorite Pink Floyd tunes"; "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Dogs", and other hints are given as to what is on this 3LP set; so many (other) photos from the Jacket are not shown; the photos I took of (those) were worse than the image of this cover. Three layers of plastics did not help, but the lack of light certainly did hurt.

Anyway, if you should see this image, and twice nine more of smaller photos that, like the cover give hints at titles, consider it.
Attachments
PINK FLOYD THE AbDabs A Great Set ROIO 3LP SET 1977-1978 era
PINK FLOYD THE AbDabs A Great Set ROIO 3LP SET 1977-1978 era
PINK FLOYD THE AbDabs A Great Set ROIO 3LP SET 1978 era 500cc.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

When I happened upon the "A Great Set", above, I found scores of really beautifully done Jacket Artwork, along with some ROIOs that are worth having because of the pressings, even with their barren covers; but I have experienced so many Computer Troubles of late, it took nearly an hour to post the image of a 7" single Sleeve in the "Last 5 LPs you bought" Thread. Since then, it has worsened; so after an IT fellow eventually makes it out here, I can at least "arrange the LPs in my head", along with a very few 7" singles I kept forgetting, namely that star of stage, screen and his own imagination, "Floyd Pink and the OK Choraleers" from Tulsa, OK USA. I need only find the right white box.
Paracelsus
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

What do you think about this little lot Semisynthetic?

Quite a collection, at quite a price...

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... /453/7841/
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jesus! That is a lot of money!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

You are right; a lot of money. But there are 27 discs....plus assorted extras. There are a few rarities on this Thread that make this "Box Set of Largesse" look cheap - so it is all relative, I guess. But for a commercial Box Set, this is the 2nd most expensive I will have purchased; the 1973 Wagnerian Set of The Ring in that lovely Wooden box Lined w/ Red Velvet to protect the discs was a little bit more, VERY pricey for that time, but the $ is in that box; the Deutche Grammaphone discs are truly fantastic though.

I don't see myself buying the ofttimes obtained "spare" copy with this one. But it is interesting; and at least there are more than "1000" copies for sale, I GUESS, this tiny screen is murder. I doubt if the "Vegetable Man" track is much (or possiblty at all) better than the White Wax, I suppose I'll find out. One thing that I have noticed with Promo's and ROIO's of Pink Floyd, is that very often the "unselected" pieces that end up as Outtakes are great pieces worth having. I mentioned "Embryo" recently; the same goes for Richard Wright's "Us and Them" that fit so well on DSOTM, it was finally used; or the "Household Items" LP that was never released, but heard in pieces if you know where to listen. I wish they WERE Waxes. It would be worth much more. The cost to MAKE the waxes would probabably make the set untouchable for less than $900. I really miss easy access to real WAXES!

Nevertheless, it is STILL missing "Scream thy Last Scream Old Woman in a Casket".
Paracelsus
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

semisynthetic wrote:But for a commercial Box Set, this is the 2nd most expensive I will have purchased; the 1973 Wagnerian Set of The Ring in that lovely Wooden box Lined w/ Red Velvet to protect the discs was a little bit more, VERY pricey for that time, but the $ is in that box; the Deutche Grammaphone discs are truly fantastic though.
What a thing that sounds like - pictures please!!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

semisynthetic wrote: .
Nevertheless, it is STILL missing "Scream thy Last Scream Old Woman in a Casket".
Scream Thy Last Scream is on the first disc.

It is rumoured that the discs will be sold individually in 2017 , in which case will defo pic up a few of them. the Roger Latham recordings are a bit of a holy grail and a decent mastered release of the Live in Stockholm 1967 will be nice.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Yes, I think that will be my strategy too. Just can't afford almost 400 quid for some CDs/DVDs right now, lovely though the package looks.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

pink floyd

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm thrilled by this... No chance I'm buying the massive box but if I can get a single disc of the first set I'll be happy.

The legendary 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream...' finally on official release at last!

What a time to be alive....

'2010 mixes' though - WTF? I'm guessing somebody somewhere imagined there would have been a full scale Floyd reunion around that time??
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

BzaInSpace wrote:
'2010 mixes' though - WTF? I'm guessing somebody somewhere imagined there would have been a full scale Floyd reunion around that time??
I think Gilmour tinkered with some Syd-era songs for the 2010-released collection 'An Introduction to Syd Barrett'.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

[quote ="semisynthetic"]
But for a commercial Box Set, this is the 2nd most expensive I will have purchased; the 1973 Wagnerian Set of The Ring in that lovely Wooden box Lined w/ Red Velvet to protect the discs was a little bit more, VERY pricey for that time, but the $ is in that box; the Deutche Grammaphone discs are truly fantastic though. Certain UK Labels, Deutche Grammaphone, and Japanese YSL's rarely disappoint.
[/quote]

What a thing that sounds like - pictures please!![/quote]

I cannot place any images for a while. This set is Beautiful, with the title and number on a small plaque.
I looked for this for years, and I suppose because it was so pricey, I found it new. Patience pays off!

THANK YOU FOR SHOWING THE (2) TRACKS - I SIMPLY CANNOT SEE THEM ON MY PHONE.
Paracelsus
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just released 12 live albums (1970-72) on streaming services: https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/pink-floyd ... ms-135995/
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five