pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

ADDENDUM Jan 10 2016: In 2014, I was asked "What is a "good" Price for a copy of DSOTM"? I realized I wasn't very helpful with my original response; I suppose "FREE" is a good price, but unless it's a gift, I wouldn't expect much. I have seen some terrible copies for sale at silly prices, for many hundreds of dollars for a common, "overly-well used" example. Even as early as a week ago, I have seen obscenely highly priced copies of not only the Pink Floyd, but many other 1960's &1970's band releases.

So, rather than be vague and hypothetical, I thought to share some variants I did not have until I obtained them during these last 2 years would be more helpful and "realistic". The first was a 1973 1st issue w/ the (UK version POSTERS & Extras) in a correctly French Packaged release on a White Wax from Holland, w/ Stickers, still sealed, at a cost of $250 in a "package deal"; another 1st issue, this one an Import Disc from Germany, w/ all the Posters and extras, was sealed for import into the USA, with "different" packaging, and on Blue Wax from Holland was $200 in this same "package deal". A New Quad Copy from Australia was the same price. A sealed 1st release copy from Uraguay, (no extras), was $75, a very nice price for a difficult to find copy in sealed condition; but these earlier South American releases are often not as aesthetically pleasing as later releases are.

I have (at least) 1 sealed USA copy I bought in 1973 with the original $5.99 sticker; and what I have handed over for the more Obscure pieces over time, (especially certain 7" Singles) has increased to nearly not-so-sane prices. But every example was extraordinary, "as new" and many never played, some sealed, depending upon country of origin. I hope this is more helpful than the original Post.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Connections and luck most certainly help!

This is the 'solid blue triangle' I am referring to

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/261 ... NG_EXAUDIO

I think it's best to see one in person and be able to listen to it before buying.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I suggest finding as many very particular dealers as you can who know about grading of the discs, not just selling with GRADING A CERTAIN WAY; finding honest people - that is "built in luck". I usually buy ONE item from someone new to me, and if they were honest and knowledgable I will go back. I use maybe 100 dealers regularly that are very good at what they do, and tell it like it is. From all over the world; there are very honest and good people out there, and of course, some who will say whatever it takes for the $.

You will weed them out as time goes by. I am not very good at "What is it worth"? But, I am good at what an item is worth to me. We each have our own criteria.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Syd Barrett's last single; Barrett, w/ the help of members of the band released 2 LPs. "The Madcap Laughs" and Barrett".
These 2 LP's were combined into a 2 LP set in 1974. Below is a French only 7" single PS with "Octopus" and "Golden Hair". Once again, Norway was the place for me to find this obscure French Single PS, many years ago. All other single releases, UK, et cetera, were released in plain company sleeves. The Picture Sleeve Artwork - by Syd Barrett.(I am using stock photo images I have on my computer for now).
Attachments
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY "Octopus" Barrett, with "Golden Hair" from a poem by James Joyce
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY "Octopus" Barrett, with "Golden Hair" from a poem by James Joyce
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY Octopus Barrett with Golden Hair James Joyceaaa.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 14768 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

[A limited run, made on Splattered Wax of a very "historic" Pink Floyd Concert; one essentially laying the cornerstone for THE WALL. In this Quebec, 1977, Concert of "Animals", the crowd were out of control; rude and giving the band trouble as they were performing "Animals" in its completion. At one point, Waters spat upon some idiot screaming at the foot of the stage and throwing things. I have a Tour Book from before this era that has some seminal "WALL" lyrics, and certainly this episode was the last straw. Even the quiet and reserved Wright can be heard commenting on the "animals in the audience". Now, long gone were the quiet, meditative concerts I enjoy most of all.

This is an FANTASTIC disc, and although the "artwork" is sparse, the recording was made from a direct source, with fantastic sound; the "label" is "Hoffman Records", with a very Tiny Image from Dr. Hoffman's Problem Child Book, and is heavily embossed with an "HR" stamp in the lower right hand corner on the reverse; a nice touch - simple but attentively detailed.

I highly recommend this one
Attachments
Pink Floyd live in Quebec, 1977; activities that seem clearly associated with the beginning of THE WALL
Pink Floyd live in Quebec, 1977; activities that seem clearly associated with the beginning of THE WALL
Pink Floyd live in 1977 activities that helped with the beginning of THE WALLaaaa.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 15448 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am not able to post anything other than what I already have photographed and saved on my computer or drives; I won't bore you with why, but in about 3-4 weeks I'm told, I should have some freedom of mobility and then I will post a few more nice items; I do see interest waning, as I wrote before; but I am VERY HAPPY that so many of you did, in some way or another, enjoy the items I posted, and again, I am surprised it lasted so long; I am glad I did post these items to share.

I hope others will post anything that they too would enjoy sharing; it is interesting to see the nuances and outright VERY different packaging or variants in releases from one country to another as davedecay has shown on the previous and other pages.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Obscure little disc that I looked for some time to find; I seriously doubt I shall ever find another copy of this little disc and Picture Sleeve in such a condition as this one; (Another) "First release of the Pink Floyd"; their 1st single, this one is Danish, and very Obscure. I purchased this copy from a very serious collector in the Netherlands. (I have another copy I purchased from another collector in Sweden recently, and although BOTH of the discs are truly incredible, the other sleeve was a bit worn, so I am showing you the Best I have), and likely to ever have. The Danish Picture Sleeves are "delicate"; although the pressings are very good indeed, (and this IS a Danish pressing - NOT one from the UK in a Danish Sleeve); I do wish they had used a heavier weight and grade of paper for their sleeves. [I think that in the future, I will show some Portugese singles and EP's; I am very pleased with how that has gone, and it makes for a WONDERFUL "this is how it should be done"; the Portugese examples are NOT Japanese "equals", but their attention to detail, and the clever little insert sleeves helped many wonderful singles survive in extraordinary condition.

Here is a 1st Pressing of Pink Floyd's First Single: "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun", [DB 3156 - Columbia, Danish Pressing and Picture Sleeve]; (this copy was, as you can see, intended for use in a Radio Station, but was "snagged" long ago and put away). If this "looks familiar", it is a simplistic copy using the same Band Photo as that used in the Holland 1st issue; the Holland paper, although "thin", was quite tough, and the printing on it more sophisticated and the printing layered and in nuanced colors and shades, unlike this example. Frankly, I am amazed to have even TWO copies of this release; the copy I obtained via Sweden would be a "Play Copy", however, because although the sleeve is worn, the vinyl is still wonderful. I have been very lucky (AND PERSISTENT!) I believe this sleeve has a great photo of Syd Barrett; it was photographed in a Mylar-like protective sleeve, and this has distorted the image somewhat, but it is an excellent copy.(
from my computer files)
Attachments
PF Arnold Layne _Candy and a Currant Bun 1967 DANISH 7 1st Release DB 3156 Columbia INTENDED for RADO STATION use
PF Arnold Layne _Candy and a Currant Bun 1967 DANISH 7 1st Release DB 3156 Columbia INTENDED for RADO STATION use
PF Arnold Layne _Candy and a Currant Bun 1967 DANISH 7 1st Release DB 3156 Columbia RADO STATION 001.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Several years ago, there were a number of really well made "japanese" looking CD's w/ something LIKE the OBI; these were made in both China and in Russia; The Russian ones were a little nicer; they used different artwork, and 1 type was even dimensionally unlike the Japanese or other "mini-discs". I happened across this example, from the Russian Federation, of "Masters of Rock"; [ON EBay]; an LP I have suggested to you on more than one occasion; I did order a couple of these this afternoon; they were less than $20 delivered (each), and that is very reasonable. Plus, since I collected recordings from the bad old days of the USSR, I figured that I might as well continue adding to my collection now, with the bad old days of the Russian Federation. :)

The (earlier) discs sounded great (for Digital), and the song line up contain many tracks not easy to find on vinyl anymore:
Still, if you want to purchase the vinyl releases, I noticed several (apparently) excellent examples of copies for less than $100 to $1700 for a stellar copy of a particular type.
.....MASTERS of ROCK (Russian Federation)
1. Chapter 24
2. Mathilda Mother
3. Arnold Layne
4. Candy And A Currant Bun
5. The Scarecrow
6. Apples And Oranges
7. It Would Be So Nice
8. Paintbox
9. Julia Dream
10. See Emily Play
Attachments
PF RUSSIAN "Masters of Rock" CD with "OBI like" addition
PF RUSSIAN "Masters of Rock" CD with "OBI like" addition
PF RUSSIAN Masters of Rock CD with OBI like additionaaa.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 15386 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So a new album coming in October, unusual!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In the early years, I just learned to take for granted it would be "two more years" before the next release; now I am, like you, surprised to hear of anything "NEW". I think that Gdansk Project in Poland, of (mainly) Gilmour's design and creation, was probably more exhausting than fun, and frankly, the remaining Gilmour and Mason have no urgent need to do anything; unless Mason wants another Wing on the House for his growing Toy Collection. But they may be bored; I believe many musicians enjoy LIVE performances over the cloistered and clinical atmosphere of the studio. And then there are Taxes......

One point that I believe very strongly about, perhaps the point that helped them with the VERY early retirement of Syd Barrett, is the remaining members kept the "Pink Floyd Signature Sound" - which was very artfully and carefully preserved all these years, for the most part. Gilmour was very important in building that sound as well as keeping what was there when he arrived, very early on the ride, in c. 1968. For those who have not heard Gilmour's first TWO solo LPs, they are really quite good.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I looked through my computer files for Discs of interest; (that is, until I am able to photograph any other discs myself - but these look alright I think; [the Mylar-like Protective sleeves can make the image darker or distort it a bit]; I cropped just a bit of protective sleeve glare from the 1st single - it looked "blurry").

The First example is the Last Release of a single from Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd; "Apples and Oranges"/ "Paintbox"; 1967; this example is from Holland. I am particularly fond of the copies from Holland, Sweden and Denmark. Again, this is a very obscure copy of Barrett's last single with the Pink Floyd, and one of my very favorite singles he released, paired with Richard Wright, who was a wonderful musician, and who, like Barrett, is now gone. I was very happy indeed to obtain this copy, and the Swedish copy I shared with you a few pages back, just a few weeks apart many years ago; There were some discs made in the UK, and diverted and placed in Holland Sleeves, very much like in Sweden, but this came LATER, since Holland had only pressed very few discs; in the case of Sweden, ALL of the discs came from the UK, and just the sleeves were made in Sweden. [THIS DISC was made in Holland [as was the sleeve[/color]. The Artwork for this single is very different from one country to another; this single was not released in the USA, and is, in general, rather obscure every place else! The sleeve is a bit "heavier" than the Danish sleeves and the Swedish sleeves for this release. A lovely little Love Song about 2 very different people - "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett); and Rick Wright's "Paintbox". Very Nice Indeed - an EXCELLENT PRESSING with wonderful sound.

Here is a second type of released variant of the Swiss Special Copy of "See Emily Play" w/ "Scarecrow", from 1967; in a Special Columbia Sleeve; an interesting and alternate example. This Columbia Sleeve was used with the "commercial" examples; oddly enough, the Promo Copies arrived (usually) in a simple, but A SPECIAL HEAVY WEIGHT White Sleeve instead; there was no Special "Picture Sleeve" w/ the Swiss Release (as seen on Page 4 of this Thread). The White Sleeve was laminated to KEEP it White; The Swiss are great on detail! This is a heavy single, definitely Swiss by quality, (and we are reminded again by a small "Swiss Made" imprint in the dead-wax area).

From 1967, The last Barrett single, this one from Holland, and a Special "Swiss Only" Release of the second single from Pink Floyd, "See Emily Play"/ "Scarecrow".
Attachments
Apples and Oranges w/ Paintbox; HOLLAND ONLY (same image on Both sides) Disc Made In Holland 1967
Apples and Oranges w/ Paintbox; HOLLAND ONLY (same image on Both sides) Disc Made In Holland 1967
PF Apples and Oranges HOLLAND 1967aaa.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 15274 times
Pink Floyd See Emily Play_ Scarecrow 1967 Special Swiss only in Columbia Sleeve
Pink Floyd See Emily Play_ Scarecrow 1967 Special Swiss only in Columbia Sleeve
Pink Floyd See Emily Play_ Scarecrow 1967 Swissaaa.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 15328 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I thought gdansk was very good. I saw him on that tour and it was certainly better than the waters shows, although it was some way behind in terms of stage sets etc...
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Even in the early days, Gilmour was content to just sit there and play; but Waters argument was simple and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that I agree with Waters. Personally, I LIKED the shows where everyone, including the band just sat where they were and played music; but the "Bread and Circus" theme is very Olde, and "giving the people what they want" is what Waters wished to do. Much of Pink Floyd's music LENDS ITSELF to the Theatrical, and the airplanes flying overhead and exploding on the stage. If nothing else, it helped cover-up the noise from the crowds!

I have several different Promos and DVDs (official) from Gdansk, but they are all digital, and I have hardly come close to finishing the 7" vinyl; but there are MANY very nicely done CD's from Holland and other Counties - Austria; there just isn't the variety and individuality of Nations like there once was; it is very homogenized "vanilla" packaging, essentially all the same; of course that is not completely true, but certainly more so now than in the early days, and before the EU.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is an Italian "Masters of Rock" which is one "most unlike" the other examples; this variant has a similar lineup, but with more discussion on the Jacket than Photos. I have 2 types, one that is essentially all written in Italian, and another, more in English, but still much in Italian. I have great sentimental reasons for the Italian release, and the lineup is good; very similar, but a little different. I bought my 1st copy in Switzerland.

From 1974 "Masters of Rock", Italy. (I am still using old files, and the photos are not as nice as I'd like).
Attachments
PF Masters of Rock ITALY 1974 Obverse
PF Masters of Rock ITALY 1974 Obverse
PF Masters of Rock ITALY 1974aaaa.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 15259 times
PF Masters of Rock ITALY Reverse 1974
PF Masters of Rock ITALY Reverse 1974
PF Masters of Rock ITALY reverse 1974aaaa.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 15259 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Like most Bands, there are many different types of Printed Art used to promote their music. This is a "Direct Productions, Inc." Concert Poster from 1971, by the Artist "r. tuten". This particular work is referred to by a variety of names, but "War of the Worlds Poster" makes as much sense as any of the other "titles" since the spacecraft of the Aliens from that film are seen in this Poster. Tickets were $3.00, $3.50 and $4.00! I bought this at a California Art Gallery in 1985.
(An IPhone was used to photograph this on my study wall - I cropped away the frame to allow the Poster to be larger here).

From 1971: "a Concert at the San Diego California Community Concourse, 8:00PM Sunday, October 17th
Attachments
Pink Floyd Concert San Diego 1971 Poster r tuten
Pink Floyd Concert San Diego 1971 Poster r tuten
Pink Floyd Concert San Diego 1971 Poster r tutenaaa.jpg (337.86 KiB) Viewed 15199 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

This may be a little redundant, but it is also an example that is true of many "Commercial Releases". With some of the earliest of PINK FLOYD Singles, there were often more PROMO examples to be found in the kind of condition one would like, than there are regular, commercial releases! This little Swedish disc is such an example. The PROMO was shared with you a page or so back, (but this is actually more dear to me "as a collector" than the PROMO example)! I am very happy to have found this exceptional quality single; I like the music very much; I believe this disc captures as well as any, the manner in which the remaining Band members kept the "Original Floyd Sound" intact despite the loss of Syd Barrett. I enjoy sharing it with you, I hope you enjoy seeing this, for it is Truly increasingly Obscure. There is a "yellowish" artifact observed, whereas the color is in reality more crème or light tan. The Swedish did NOT use the best of paper for these sleeves, but it is clear on the label that they did in fact press these discs, unlike the use of U.K. pressings for "Apples and Oranges", just a few months before. Interestingly, the labels DID get a great deal of attention and details, as did the quality of the pressings.

From Sweden, 1968, with Syd Barrett on the Sleeve, (but actually on permanent vacation), here is "It Would Be So Nice" / "Julia Dream"; Columbia DB 8401.
The reverse is blank.
Attachments
"It would be so Nice" / "Julia Dream" SWEDEN; 1968, "Regular, Commercial Picture Sleeve Release"
"It would be so Nice" / "Julia Dream" SWEDEN; 1968, "Regular, Commercial Picture Sleeve Release"
PINK FLOYD It Would Be So Nice _Julia Dream 1968 SWEDISH release aaaa001.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 15180 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Pass The Apple
New user

Post by Pass The Apple »

19 pages on Pink Floyd?
Are you fucking kidding me?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The Dr wrote:i've never got pink floyd. can someone pursuade me it is worth the effort or is it best to leave alone?
Absolutely not, and I would not try. Music, or a painting, a book, or a poem all somehow reach us from inside; and no one could make me, or convince me to like something that I did not. But I DID enjoy posting images and information, (along with others, who did the same), to share my enjoyment at least, of a Band I have enjoyed since I first heard it, long ago; the music was not simplistic, neither was it pretentious; they DID become very popular, and that was the beginning of the end; but in the early days, with a atmosphere and a World very, very different than today, Pink Floyd fit in that time Beautifully.

They still have great popularity all over the world, many people hear and are still moved by music which started nearly 50 years go. Like The Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, and Beethoven, there are types of Music that for some reason LAST; that generations enjoy across time; and then there is music that will be simply an asterisk at the bottom of the page, (or screen) now - or someday, while other Artists are still enjoyed for whatever reason; they somehow still touch something inside the Mind, or Heart, that other artists can only do as a passing phase.

I had meant to answer this question much earlier; but to see the "1st Post?" above, seemingly somehow surprised, for good or ill, helped me remember to finally answer the first Post of this Thread; a Thread I entered later on, as did others who contribute their thoughts and information, their acquisitions and opinions. I cannot see how anyone convinces another that any particular music is "good". The answer comes from within the listener alone. That is my opinion, anyway.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

do what you want. try it, or don't.

best not to go into it expecting something miraculous.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Better 19 pages on Pink Floyd than 2 pages on Radiohead, I always say.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

At the risk of derailing this thread (I won't), I will say I enjoyed the Radiohead concert I saw last year very, very much.
Pass The Apple
New user

Post by Pass The Apple »

What does Radiohead have to do with anything?
I was just pointing out 19 pages of pictures of someones record collection is on the excessive side.
Not to mention the annoying way the posts are.
BOLD
Color
equals
[/b]SHOUTING!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Firstly, I have not commented on this thread as i have nothing to add which would not simply been my opinion on Pink Floyd BUT i have found the entire thread fascinating and fun to read. Here we clearly have someone who is very passionate about their music, their collection and is willing to share it with us and also give us in insight to how a band have been portrayed around the world over the last 5 decades. Pink Floyd are a band that i enjoy very much in all their variations up to and including The Wall. I appreciate some fans like individual periods and/or feel the band lost something without Syd but thats just the way things are with the band. After almost 50 years of existing, very few bands would not have changed in some way or another which would invariably create differences of opinion amongst the fans.

Secondly, does it really matter who it is? Does it make it any different to 19 pages about Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized? Or the Grateful Dead? Or Led Zeppelin? Some people have enjoyed it, others maybe less so without feeling the need to comment or pass judgement, so i think the "19 pages of Pink Floyd" comment is a little unjust, nevermind a little rude.

Thirdly, 2 POSTS on Radiohead would be excessive IMO! :wink:

Now... where were we...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Here here Laz - this has been a fascinating thread for anyone who likes Floyd and/or has a passion for collecting music.

However, it is a forum so I guess dissenting voices are quite entitled etc. Just don't let them overshadow all of us who appreciate Semisynthetic's commitment!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Pass The Apple: You have two posts in total on this forum and both are complaints. Not sure this is the best way to introduce yourself.
Pass The Apple
New user

Post by Pass The Apple »

Thank you for keeping score. I'll make sure I post something else.
Ive been reading this forum for years. I just never signed up.
Ive watched this thread with fcuriosity. Weird fascination even.
Not just the way it has grown and grown but it seems like it is a one person thread.
Like an out of control weed.

Also, 19 pages on Spiritualized, Sonic Boom, Spectrum or Spacemen 3 would be fine. Appropriate even. Unless i have to see everyone elses collection.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Pass The Apple wrote:Thank you for keeping score. I'll make sure I post something else.
Ive been reading this forum for years. I just never signed up.
Ive watched this thread with fcuriosity. Weird fascination even.
Not just the way it has grown and grown but it seems like it is a one person thread.
Like an out of control weed.

Also, 19 pages on Spiritualized, Sonic Boom, Spectrum or Spacemen 3 would be fine. Appropriate even. Unless i have to see everyone elses collection.
save yourself, try to wrestle with that weird fascination and just dont click into the thread...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I uploaded a Floyd boot called Libest Spacement Monitor recently for a friend. It's still in my Dropbox. If anyone wants it, send me your email via PM. Details:

16 Sep 1970, Recorded live at the Playhouse Theatre, London

1. Embryo 10:15
2. Green Is The Colour 3:23
3. Careful With That Axe, Eugene 7:50
4. If 4:28
5. Atom Heart Mother 24:49
Total: 50:49

Review copied from The Pink Floyd RoIO Database:

A brilliant CD. The best sounding record of the '70 BBC session. Carefully remastered with NoNoise to eliminate any noise from the underlying vinyl source. Only a 10-second drop-out of one stereo channel on 'Careful..' reminds you that this is no official release. Even if you are not a friend of roio's you must have heard this version of 'Embryo' at least once ... or you are not a Floyd fan! -HERWIG

They don't get any better than this. This one and 'One Of These Days' (also TSP) is the ones to have from the BBC sesions in 70-71. Only thing is a couple of small errors on track 3, but that doesn't drag down the overall impression of this CD. Times are from CD timer. Highly recomended. -TOR

This is, no doubt, the best version of Embryo. It also includes a very good combination of Green is the Colour and Careful with... . Have you maybe heard a Radio voice which says "Careful with that axe Eugene, classic Pink Floyd recorded in the Summer of 1970. Just a year... . Well, that's not included in this recording. 105% recommendable.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:I uploaded a Floyd boot called Libest Spacement Monitor recently for a friend. It's still in my Dropbox. If anyone wants it, send me your email via PM. Details:

Review copied from The Pink Floyd RoIO Database:

A brilliant CD. The best sounding record of the '70 BBC session. Carefully remastered with NoNoise to eliminate any noise from the underlying vinyl source. Only a 10-second drop-out of one stereo channel on 'Careful..' reminds you that this is no official release. Even if you are not a friend of roio's you must have heard this version of 'Embryo' at least once ... or you are not a Floyd fan! -HERWIG
This sounds cool. I downloaded a bootleg of the 70-71 BBC sessions a long time ago and it's probably my favourite live recording of them. It seems to capture them at a transitional state in terms of songs, but playing together like some kind of hive-mind, and the whole thing is recorded with incredible clarity. The bass in particular sounds amazing. Will investigate to see what source my CD/files are from... Anyway, just wanted to say that I love the bass on Embryo and this version of Green is the Colour, especially Gilmour's improv-singing!
semisynthetic
Known user

pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

TheWarmth wrote:I uploaded a Floyd boot called Libest Spacement Monitor recently for a friend. It's still in my Dropbox. If anyone wants it, send me your email via PM. Details:

It is a Wonderful ROIO! I've had the Vinyl for ages; and I did buy the CD; I have noticed that because of marketability, or the popularity of the band, or more people have better Sound Systems; OR because it is now possible to clean up errors that were never possible before, the CDs are greatly improved from the past. I buy the CD's of ROIO's that I KNOW to be good - at least in Title. I must have any number that have the same TITLE, but are either quite different from one another in source, quality of pressing or even a COMPLETELY different concert or at least line-up of a series of concerts of the same year or era; so unless the artwork or tracks or some other commonality exists on the CD and the Vinyl I know is exceptional, I may pass it by. Even early Libest Space Monitor has multiple EARLY Artwork; I remember 2 that are different robotic graphics were the better examples; one was released as a 2-LP (3-sided) set, and THAT has the best Sound Quality of any I have heard over time.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

LOVED THE TRAIN PHOTOS!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have shared with you these images for your interest and to see some releases that were "lost in the crowd and in Time".
I cannot think of a better example of this than the 3rd Single Release of Pink Floyd in the USA. The single of "Apples and Oranges" was NOT released in the USA, and in its place was "Flaming" w/ "The Gnome". This is a Tower Promo 378 of a recording that is incredibly difficult to find, and did not chart. Taken from "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", and released in 1967. ("Let there be More Light" w/ "Remember a Day" was the NEXT Tower 440 USA ONLY release, [I think it is on page 4] and took the place of "It Would be so Nice"/ "Julia Dream" - also shown earlier in the Thread). There were numerous differences in UK/ European Columbia releases, and the Capitol "Tower" label in the USA - although many Japanese releases mirrored both Columbia AND Tower releases, but not necessarily released on the same Label.

[This one is a forgotten little disc from the early days of the band, on Tower 378, "Flaming" w/ "The Gnome", 1967.]

I hope (most of you) have enjoyed these images I've shared with you, as I enjoy the images others share; perhaps you gained some insight into the variables of quality and the types of releases from around the World in the few examples I have shown you. I NEVER expected to Post this many Images(!), each along with a little History; this should be a GREAT DISC for me to close on for now. I would appreciate it very much if there were MORE OF YOU who would share images of recording's Art Work that have some interesting History, or Attribute, or Newer recordings that perhaps just are not that well known yet; or a Thread that just shares IMAGES OF WHATEVER YOU LIKE; many people will appreciate your effort, even if some do not. Images are Important; and this band had some of the Most ICONIC and RECOGNIZABLE Images in Music.
**The trains, above, are very good at showing us how a "picture is worth a 1000 words".

I was very surprised to see that (today), there had been OVER 7800 views of the discs/Picture Sleeves, LP Artwork and ephemera that various people have shared on this Thread about a band that was certainly IN at the right Time.

Upon the first landing on the Moon, Pink Floyd played live on the BBC as it happened; can you imagine who might be allowed to do something so esoteric and with such freedom today? The World has indeed changed greatly since the Early Days of Pink Floyd, but Quality, Attention to Detail, Universality, Talent and the "Desirable and Unique" all LAST through Time.
Attachments
"FLAMING" w/  "The Gnome"; TOWER 378 PROMO 3rd USA Single
"FLAMING" w/ "The Gnome"; TOWER 378 PROMO 3rd USA Single
PF FLAMING The Gnome TOWER 378 PROMO 3rd USA Singleccc 001.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 15064 times
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'm trying to reconcile my ROIO audio files with the ones posted above.

Pink Floyd
BBC Archives 1970-1971
Harvested (HRV CDR 007)

July 16, 1970 Paris Cinema, London, England

Disc One
1. intro
2. The Embryo
3. Fat Old Sun
4. Green Is The Colour
5. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
6. If
7. Atom Heart Mother

September 30, 1971 Paris Cinema, London, England

Disc Two
1. intro
2. Fat Old Sun
3. One Of These Days
4. The Embryo
5. Echoes
6. Blues

Are these dates and/or track lists wrong? Or perhaps just a completely different show?

also seen on this release:
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-BBC-A ... se/3576470
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I don't think I would try too very hard to reconcile these ROIO's; it may be impossible. I have too many examples that have the "correct" song listing, (which may not all be on the LP) and have the wrong date(s); or, since a Concert or other Presentation may be "too long" to release as a whole, 50 minutes is 2 FULL sides of an LP; may be too much as it is for the best sound, and "If" and the other dropped songs were probably cut because of time from the earlier releases. Rarely is a "Boot" complete; some are - with introductions, instructions, everything, but are almost always (originally), multi LP sets. The Dates listed above are the same, but the places are different, and very few people can be in 2 places at the same time, so SOMETHING is already not quite right; If I counted how MANY discs on my shelves are called by "BBC Archives blah blah blah", and all have the same title - but little else in common, it would pass at least 20 releases, just on vinyl. The same thing exists with CDs. Multiple variants all having the same or similar title; not at all unusual for "Bootlegs" of ANY Artist or band.

Many of the "Boots" were labeled specifically just to sell; some have songs listed that are not on the original vinyl release; or, in the case of the track of "If", may not have recorded well, and was cut, or as I mentioned earlier, cut for time. I have several "Boots" that are GREAT QUALITY, but have labels that list only Gospel or Religious song titles, "Ave Maria" seems to be very popular. I have a GREAT BOOT called "A GREAT SET" with 3 LPs, instead of 2; the Artwork is in the style of "A Nice Pair". "Pink Floyd" is NEVER mentioned, but on the cover, a Photo of "Floyd, the Barber on The Andy Griffith Show" is colored BRIGHT PINK; Ergo, "Pink Floyd". They were trying to creatively cover their assets, and the result is an enormous number of similar releases. I mentioned this "Bootlegs of Bootlegs" a few pages back; a point which is NOT limited to this band, but just about ANYONE, especially in the early days when (most) ROIOs were not that great. Some are FANTASTIC! but they are in the minority; usually exquisite waxes out of Holland or Germany via Italy.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

So I did some searching and found some information on Libest Spacement Monitor

http://www.hokafloyd.com/CDHOKA/libest_ ... onitor.htm

and this post especially contains LOTS of data about the recordings, dates, and songs.

http://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpre ... nd-belief/

You are right, semi - many different releases include these songs, some have non-BBC aired tracks that were broadcast in the USA, others do not.

It turns out Meddled from 30 Sept. 1971 has some of the best versions of these songs. I have a fan remaster of it if anyone wants.
http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/meddler.cd.html
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"davedecay" - So I did some searching and found some information on Libest Spacement Monitor;

Just a short Note; the FIRST release (that I own) of this "title" is called "Libest Space Monitor"; and has a Robotic Graphic on the Cover, a pasted LP cover like most official releases of the day, with a similar song list.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In another Thread, I asked what experiences people had dealing with Poste Italiane, and although my purchases have been few from Italy these last few years, the next example was a Wonderful pair of discs; simple, but really very nicely pressed.

Recordings that are made for Juke Boxes are "especially" made to take abuse, they are generally heavyweight discs for 7" singles. I saw a fellow's ad who said he had these (2) "Unplayed Italian Juke-Box discs"; and I admit I was more than a little doubtful; but, upon receipt of (2) of these discs, I was impressed. They WERE Unplayed, heavyweight discs, alright, but were also beautifully pressed; and superior to the commercial release. I don't know why, but I did see a decline in the quality of Italian discs over the years; the "official" discs; (once, I opened a "new" single of an Italian Band, and silica or sand came out of the sleeve! That is terrible!) The discs from the 1960's are far better than just 10 years later; then there seemed to be a resurgence, and the quality (of what discs I am aware) improved in the 1980's. This image was prepared some time ago, and I overlooked it. I had wanted "Flaming" on the Tower Label to be the last single I posted here for awhile, but I don't see what difference it makes.

"Have a Cigar"/ "Shine on You Crazy Diamond Pt1" Italian Promo / Juke-Box Pressing, 1976.
Attachments
"Have a Cigar" / "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt1"_ ITALIAN Promo [NEW] 1976 Label Only
"Have a Cigar" / "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt1"_ ITALIAN Promo [NEW] 1976 Label Only
Have a Cigar_Wish You Were Here_ ITALIAN Promo [NEW] 1976 Label Side Baaa.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 15785 times
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Because I have seen the Westwood One Radio Promo shown below, "A CD Full of Secrets", on Ebay and other outlets several times of late; a Promo Only release, (and a very nice addition to ones collection for some of the more obscure early releases or mixes), I thought I might list it again with more info. (I like it mainly for the early work). When I placed the CD Insert Image on this Thread some time ago, I did not have all of the data below handy to accompany it, so I will include some new information here. I hope if you happen to be interested, you will find a nice Copy of this CD. Except for some bootlegs of varying quality, (or the Tower 378 USA 7" single), it is otherwise the BEST copy of the single version of "Flaming". (Of course a Mint 7" single sounds better, but what a wait you may have!); This Disc was made in Canada.

Track listing & Additional Information:

1. "Candy And A Currant Bun"
Engineer – John Wood
Producer – Joe Boyd
Written-By – S. Barrett*
2:43

2. "See Emily Play"
Written-By – S. Barrett*
2:50

3. "Flaming" (Single Version)
Written-By – S. Barrett*
2:46

4. "Apples And Oranges"
Written-By – S. Barrett*
3:01

5. "Paintbox"
Producer – Norman Smith
Written-By – R. Wright*
3:28

6. "It Would Be So Nice"
Written-By – R. Wright*
3:39

7. "Julia Dream"
Written-By – R. Waters*
2:34

8. "Point Me At The Sky"
Written-By – D. Gilmour*, R. Waters*
3:34

9. "Heartbeat, Pigmeat"
Written-By – Pink Floyd
3:08

10. "Crumbling Land"
Written-By – Pink Floyd
4:13

11. "Come In Number 51, Your Time Is Up"
Written-By – Pink Floyd
4:58

12. "Biding My Time"
Producer – Norman Smith
Written-By – R. Waters*
5:14

13. "Money" (1981 Dance Version) 12" Single on Pink Wax or Pink Vinyl, (depending upon Country of Origin).
This was released when 12" singles became more popular, for both extended versions and/or better sound quality.
Written-By – R. Waters*
6:44

14. "When The Tigers Broke Free"
Mixed By, Co-producer – James Guthrie
Producer – Bob Ezrin, David Gilmour
Written-By – R. Waters*
2:52

15. "Not Now John" (Obscured Version) For Radio
Producer – James Guthrie, Michael Kamen
Written-By, Producer – R. Waters*
4:24

16. "Terminal Frost" (DYOL Mix)
Producer – Bob Ezrin, David Gilmour
Written-By – D. Gilmour*
5:58

17. "Run Like Hell" (Live Version)
Mixed By – David Gilmour, James Guthrie
Recorded By – Ringo Hyreynn
Written-By – D. Gilmour*, R. Waters*
7:10

"Not For Sale. For Licensed Broadcast Only"
NOTES:
Including a 4-page booklet with recording info,
providing original release dates:
01: 03/11/1967, produced February 27, 1967 at Sound Techniques Chelsea, London, UK.
02: 06/16/1967, recorded May 23, 1967 at Sound Techniques.
03: 08/05/1967, US-single version
04: 11/18/1967, produced at Abbey Road Studios 11/2/1967
05: 11/18/1967, produced at Abbey Road Studios 11/2/1967
06: 04/12/1968, special BBC disc (edited lyrics)
07: 04/12/1968, special BBC disc (edited lyrics)
08: 12/17/1968, last recording for single release
09: 1/1970, recorded as soundtrack music for Michaelangelo Antolini's film "Zabriskie Point"
10: 1/1970, recorded as soundtrack music for Michaelangelo Antolini's film "Zabriskie Point"
11: 1/1970, recorded as soundtrack music for Michaelangelo Antolini's film "Zabriskie Point"
12: 5/1971, recorded on July 9, 1969, produced at Abbey Road Studios, released on "Relics" LP.
13: 11/23/1981, re-recorded at New Roydonia Studios, mixed at Producer's Workshop in Los Angeles
14: 07/26/1982, from "The Wall" movie
15: 4/1983, (edited lyrics)
16: 09/97/1987, (original guitar part removed)
17: 11/05/1987, recorded and filmed in concert in Atlanta on September 9, 1987.
Attachments
Pink Floyd "A CD Full of Secrets"  Canadian Radio Promo
Pink Floyd "A CD Full of Secrets" Canadian Radio Promo
Pink+FloydACDFullOfSecrets.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 15766 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

someone posted pix of this early DEMO single, i'd like to share them here

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

amazing score yesterday, LPs need a good cleaning but otherwise the set looks really nice!

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

New album is certainly listenable
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

While in and out of the Hospital for months now, I tried to not let my health interfere with obtaining desirable examples for my collection. Scores of 78 rpm discs from Argentina, and some incredible WHO singles from "everywhere" via Portugal were some of my favorites. I was very pleased to find some GREAT and obscure ROLLING STONES singles and LPs. Eno's latest releases and the new Gilmour's Floyd were
in the "assorted" category along with many more.

I was informed by a couple of old friends that they had found an exceptional 10 CD Set of PINK FLOYD recordings which have really great original sources and live concerts, out takes and overall a wonderful collection of obscure pieces from a STILL POPULAR and creative band. I have not heard this set, but I
trust the opinions of certain friends on this point; they too are very particular, and sound quality is paramount.

When I am able to do so, I will share images and other data; over the years I have enjoyed learning and sharing LPs or singles, (or whatever) on this SITE, I have tried to be completist enough to help anyone interested in a piece or item to have as much info as it takes for YOU to obtain what you see that interests you- unfortunately I am still laid flat & can share only what I remember; At the time I ordered this Set, 2 or 3
months ago, the discs, packaged to appear like Japanese releases, could also be purchased as single discs
or the entire set; making it easy to choose a disc or two, or buy the set a single CD at a time. I am a little embarrassed that I can remember only the title, "PINK FLOYD - EARLY FLIGHTS" (VOLUMES 1 - 10); which
is probably enough to find these recordings, I am fairly certain I bought the Set from Russia. These are ROIO, but I have found that the quality of Russian Bootlegs, competing with both Japan and "Special Discs" from China, have improved incredibly in quality over the last decade, whatever your musical tastes may be. I regret that I do not have the company or site or other info to share, as I am still not very mobile, but happy that as I recover, there are scores of wonderful music waiting. Meanwhile, I am Patient. :)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Today I was handed a small box; I opened it & found it contained 2 singles;
The 1st was a Greek Release of Pink Floyd's first 1967 release, "Arnold Layne"/"Candy and a Currant Bun"; the 2nd was the 1974 reissue; both in extraordinary condition, and each contained within the correct Greek Sleeve of their era. I carefully put them back in the little singles box they came in and Vertically placed the box until I can put these discs where they belong. Very nice! It will be awhile before I can even think of placing images here!

A larger box that had a packing slip read "a [SEALED LP], the 1st Beatles LP from Uraguay"; a disc I obtained from a fellow I've known for ages; if you want South American discs that are not VERY new, it is best to try and obtain them sealed; the climate and other reasons make it almost imperative to be very careful of the source, or you may be displeased. Over the years, some South and Central American countries have tried to deal with the problem by not ONLY having something like "Clarafoil", the laminate, on many recordings around the world, but ALSO adding a sort of Clear Plastic Bag to the jacket, and have duplicated, 2 layers of inner sleeves. The Beatles LP will have all of these protections PLUS being still sealed for all these years; I saw photos, and of course I trust the seller. The Disc arrived, and the Jacket - still BLACK - AND the disc is still intact and seemingly undamaged; (albeit sealed).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Written December 5th-7th

A wonderful pair or "set" of gifts arrived, and I am very surprised and very Happy! In 1980, or say 1979 to 1981, there were many WONDERFULLY pressed and packaged Box Sets; for example, a 12 LP+ 1 12" single by Hendrix was released in a very heavily made box with an insert box & booklet along with a "smaller" Box of 6 - 7 singles in matching Artwork; EXCEPTIONAL!

There were other great Box Sets, ROLLING STONES, Japanese Only BEATLES; John LENNON et cetera, and THE PINK FLOYD "The First XI", was released in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Holland, and many other Countries, even South Africa; the release had "The First 11 LP releases"; I was lucky to obtain a Box w/ the 2 Picture Discs from the UK; as I understand, only the UK did this; I think it was 1000 copies, but I'm not positive, I've read conflicting numbers, and a regular UK Box Set of the same title.

Again, a BOX SET known for exceptional quality pressings, artwork and the heaviness of the BOX itself; but a surprise arrived as a gift that I did not know existed; an (unknown to me) set of INDIAN BOX SETS done similarly to the German HENDRIX sets, that is, a SECOND, smaller box of Pink Floyd's 1st singles! This is similar not only to The Hendrix sets, but also a 1980 Trio of Box Sets released of THE BEATLES; an LP Box, a Singles Box, and an EP's Box, all exceptionally made with wonderful pressings and artwork; I've kept the UK Beatles boxes sealed all these years; I play the Holland Release; wonderfully done. I am of the opinion the Indian Floyd Box Sets were likely not released; at least after all these years I have NEVER BEFORE SEEN or heard of it! Not once for sale, not in any Discographies; nowhere at all. To be fair, I have a 3LP BOX of "The Byrds" from India I bought in 1981, #777 of 1000; and of course, 1000 of anything is practically none at all in a diverse Nation with such an incredible population!

The set of (2) Box sets are Promotional; as seen with multiple Japanese Promo characters; similar but slight different Artwork than any other I have seen; the single's BOX is sealed in a Heavy gauge polyethylene, and the sealed LP's Box is placed in a series of HEAVY polyethylene "sacks", along with a 15 page Promo booklet in Hindi and Japanese! Since these are still sealed or unopened from 1980, I have had them, for now, placed in a new Cabinet with other wonderful goodies that I purchased, or, like these Indian Box Set Promos, that are fantastic gifts. I have many of the other releases that vary from country to country, but this set is truly something exceptional. I carefully viewed it, thinking it might be a ROIO, but I believe it is a Promotional Copy once intended for India, Pressed by the Japanese, whose Promo Characters are seen on the booklet and both Boxes. Apparently it was never released, or released in limited quanities.

Even though I have only very recently been able to sit up and walk again, I had only a short break when I did not continue to look for and obtain special recordings; I have been unboxing and placing new goodies at my best pace; it was a great year in 2014 for music and my collection!

This gift was something I keep looking at as if it is not quite real; but, there it is! :)
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Awhile back, I mentioned a multi Mini LP CD SET of Pink Floyd ROIO. If you look on EBay, (I just happened to type "Pink Floyd 7" Singles"); examples of the set are viewable; I think the 10 disc set was $159 from the seller I saw; the same sets are available via The Ukraine and Belarus for a bit less. I have not been able to hear these yet; but a friend I trust in these matters graded these as "well above average ROIO". Each Disc is very nicely packaged; some use the rarest of early single art plus some enhancement; really quite well done. NOTE: The Plastics on the Jackets are not re-sealable, so it would be nice to have some of the "Japanese Mini LP CD" re-sealable plastics handy; I buy (almost) ALL of these sorts of items from "BagsUnlimited.com" in the USA.
Attachments
"PINK FLOYD - EARLY FLIGHTS" (Volume 1) of Volumes 1 thru 10
"PINK FLOYD - EARLY FLIGHTS" (Volume 1) of Volumes 1 thru 10
zzPINK FLOYD EARLY FLIGHTS volumes 1 thru 10 001350.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 14873 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

One of my Favorite singles is the 3rd Barrett single, of "Apples and Oranges", with Rick Wright's "Paintbox"; I found an incredibly "like new" Pic Sleeve and Pristine disc from a Dealer I have purchased rarities from for years; so I splurged a little on this fairly obscure French Release; it is perhaps the most "commercial" of all artwork of this single's release, but it also captures a nuance from the lyrics of the song very well. Anyway, I will never find a copy like this one again, (this Pic Sleeve is even a bit nicer than the one I already have); so I obtained it along with a few other non-Floydian relics in an attempt to be as "completest" as possible with one of my favorites. I know you have seen several very different releases on this Thread; it is ironic that the rarest release, (not counting Promos or Test Pressings) was that very simple and rather delicately sleeved Swedish release that is probably still my absolute favorite of all; in part because I looked for that one for so very long, before the Internet, and wrote letters and travelled to find it. (This single was never released in the USA; "Flaming" w/ "The Gnome" took its place - it is shown a page or two back).

ONE little NOTE: I did not show the reverse of the sleeve which I should, probably; along with the Beatles and Procol Harum, and what you might EXPECT to see for 1967, is an ad for the actor, Anthony Quinn, singing "I love You", You Love Me".

(once again, and for the last time) "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett) / "Paintbox" (Wright) 1967, (French only Release).
Attachments
PINK FLOYD - French Only Release Pic Sleeve;  " Apples and Oranges" with "Paintbox" 1967
PINK FLOYD - French Only Release Pic Sleeve; " Apples and Oranges" with "Paintbox" 1967
zzPINK FLOYD FRANCE Apples and Oranges with Paintbox 1967 400.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 14873 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I happened across yet again, another absolutely fantastic copy of the above release (although from Holland; I have shown an Image of an earlier copy I had long ago obtained from Holland on a previous page); despite the rarity and the years passed, this 1967 copy, like the French Copy above, is a wonderful reminder that one can still find "as new" copies of (almost) anything with enough patience; it is always nice to find these essentially as new discs and Pic Sleeves; likely from someone who, like myself, tends to obtain TWO copies of new singles and puts one of them very carefully away; something I've done for a very long time; (I do not sell my recordings, however).

Anyway, I liked the idea of sharing not simply the acquisition of the Recording (and Pic Sleeve), but to share the positive point that even today, we can obtain essentially new recordings from almost every era from all around the globe when we look hard enough, and continue to maintain an extremely high standard. These great discs, of ALL TYPES and ARTISTS and ORIGINS of Pressings are still available out there, and that is Great News.

To hear the original pressing, in pristine condition, on Modern Systems, is a real joy; and although technology in recordings and sound quality varies, there is nothing quite like hearing WHATEVER one chooses to listen to from the Original, (as new) Pressings. :D

The downside however, is the cost of many of these Pristine, early pressings is ever increasing; but if it is a recording of some importance to us, the cost is ultimately secondary if it is within our ability to meet it.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In 2014, The Pink Floyd's Farewell Album was released; (the example below is a CD/DVD combo). "The Endless River" is primarily a Gilmour piece, but is listed as "Pink Floyd", frankly, the way it has been since Roger Waters left the Band in 1983, and for awhile claimed the "Pink Floyd no longer existed", something Waters has since recanted and acknowledged the error of the whole hassle he created with lawsuits and so on; but that is long in the Past. Roger (Syd) Barrett, the mad fellow who really just wanted to write music; went on a very long vacation of sorts in about 1970 or so, and passed away in 2006. Richard Wright followed him in death not so much later, and the Two GREATS of the band, in my opinion, were gone. I enjoyed the early Floyd so very much; the Spacy, fried nature of it, created by contributions unique to each member, it is difficult to put into words just how well that "original" sound was maintained - minus of course the madly happy childlike songs of Syd Barrett. One of my favorite LPs is "A Saucerful of Secrets"; only "Jugband Blues" is truly a Barrett piece, but what the band had created Live and on the first 2 LPs has his sound all over it. But to hear Syd's, "It's awfully considerate of you for making it clear that I'm not here" is a fellow more in touch than he may seem.

I was always very pleased how, upon Syd Barrett's leaving the band in 1968 and David Gilmour joining, how the essential "sound" of the Pink Floyd was maintained, and evolved, as with Barrett's "Astronomy Domine" in 1966-67, and included on their first LP "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", in 1967 to longer pieces by that 2nd LP, "A Saucerful of Secrets" in 1968. I loved the little childlike songs of Barrett, but the 1/2 LP pieces to come were wonderful I think.

I have long been a fan of the group; and find great fun in the earliest of works, the 7" singles "1-5" as it is often seen written in shorthand for Collectors; and although I am certain there will always be some variant that I will find as time passes, I will still enjoy music I have listened to for a very long time. I have not yet listened to the LPs or this CD set; so much music has been "waiting" for me these last few months; I have an Idea as to what to expect; but there will ROIO's of Concerts in better sound quality than ever from earlier times, and there will future releases that include pieces that the Band refused, or Barrett's
pieces that EMI refused; but they will remember "Money" and in Time, we might see "Scream Your Last Scream, Old Woman in a Casket", or live versions of Concerts well recorded and "ideal" for today's equipment.

Almost 50 years is quite a History; and to hear (and see) music and items through Time, and an evolution of a musical style that was maintained can be a mark of Excellence; and although I have written many times there are very few types of music I do NOT like even if I do not especially prefer them; but the Ethereal, Other-Worldly earlier music of this band, and the more Rock-like tunes from their Soundtrack LPs and of course, the child-like songs of Barrett, the music that started it all, has a special place not just in my Collection, but in my Psyche; I do like the very Idea of never losing some Child-like way of viewing the world around me; it is often Truth mixed with Fantasy, and I CAN remember well all those years ago that seem like last week; when I was a little boy, and NOTHING was impossible to accomplish; I remember by the 2nd Moon landing, the younger kids from 1st grade yawning after a few minutes, and I remember thinking that is exactly what will happen without imagination and a desire to do very well; I wish I had been wrong, or if I am proven wrong, the sooner the better!

Since post 1983, I have personally referred to "Pink Floyd" as "Gilmour's Floyd"; but with the loss of Richard Wright, and with Gilmour's talent, it seems only fitting that Nicky Mason adds another wing onto his Toy Collection, Roger Waters does his own thing his way; but Gilmour and Waters DO certainly owe one another a GREAT deal; it is true that Waters wrote some fantastic lyrics over the years; and Gilmour certainly plays the guitar better than I ever will, along with a wide variety of other instruments and gadgets; they all did; I cannot help but think of the 5 Member Floyd as the epitome of an Idealized band that did not quite happen; for as Barrett went ever deeper into Vacation, and only "Jugband Blues" appears on the 2nd LP, I have thought what might have happened if Barrett were their Brian Wilson, staying out of the Limelight, and writing; but the Idealized Band was just that; a passing into Oblivion and Stardom for Barrett, and from him was given one of the Great "Bands of their Time"; for Pink Floyd DID come into their own at a time when their music WAS very much appreciated; and many roaches later and miles of Vials, the World's attention span steadily decreased; so more "2 minute 30 second" songs returned; but thankfully other Bands took on the "job" of extended pieces that one can think about before the piece is over. To many Pink Floyd outlived their time; and the early pieces are dated; but for me, I will remember the first time I heard their first single, and thought "these people have something very new and interesting"; and 45+ years later, I am STILL obtaining those first singles! Only now, from all over the world, and I do enjoy sharing the rarities and interesting pieces, and I will continue to as long there is any interest. (I am expecting a very nice piece in a few weeks from Norway). I am going to wait until the moment is "right", and listen to this release; I can remember so very well the first music I ever heard from "Pink Floyd", and although THAT band is long gone, to listen to the "farewell piece" after all these years of "Gilmour's Band" is not sad or in anyway bothersome; I just want to give the recording the attention I hope it "deserves". The DVD has a 5.1 mix of the Album.

Below is "The Endless River", 2014; the CD/DVD Boxed Set on Columbia Records. Please excuse the glare in the photo.
Attachments
PF The Endless River (Farewell Album) 2 disc CD DVD Box Set 2014
PF The Endless River (Farewell Album) 2 disc CD DVD Box Set 2014
PF The Endless River Farewell Album 2 disc CD DVD Set 2014 001438518.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 14805 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I had not intended to place any more examples of "Apples and Oranges", like this 1967 (as new pressing) from HOLLAND . But this IS such an exceptional example, so I thought, what is one or two more?
Attachments
PF Apples and Oranges/ Paintbox HOLLAND 1967
PF Apples and Oranges/ Paintbox HOLLAND 1967
PF Apples and Oranges HOLLAND 1967zeta400b.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 14840 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I patiently awaited the arrival of this Danish recording, a PROMO Only - both disc and Pic Sleeve were made by the Danish FOR Sweden; this is one of my personal Favorite PF "singles", with "It would be so Nice"/ "Julia Dream", 1968; [unplayed] on Columbia DB 8401.

A really nice Promotional; it is very interesting to me how this area of the world in this era was VERY much into Psychedelia; when I have looked for songs for a variety of such Groups on YouTube, many videos or examples played are unique to this area.

It is a Wonderful example of a very obscure recording to place on this Thread, and when it arrived from Norway, I placed the image of Obverse and reverse of the PROMO-Only Sleeve; I was so very pleased to find this record in this condition; the Dealer joked that "all those spectrometers" or whatever you have will only make it look better! He knows very well I use a stereomicroscope.

There were likely once as many as 50 of these - but probably far fewer; made primarily for Denmark, Sweden and possibly Norway; (these Pressings are ALWAYS wonderful when captured before the DJ's got to them). The sound quality of every similar Danish pressing from this era has never disappointed me. I believe I will leave this copy unplayed; just for the collection. I will quite likely never see another example of this release again; and surely not in this state of preservation; I am very lucky.

There is a "yellowish" tint as an artifact of the plastic used; the sleeve is not yellowed; shows very little aging. despite it is 47 years old and relatively delicate - someone took very good care of this little record; I felt like a little kid on his Birthday when I opened this.
1968 was a Great Year for music that people still enjoy, as much of the 1960's en toto. The Beatles, Procol Harum, The Hollies make up the first row of the jacket reverse done in "Purple" - (I removed one layer protecting the plastic sleeve - it looks a little grayish; [maybe just the purple refracting]).
:D
Attachments
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 "It Would be so Nice" w/ "Julia Dream" MADE FOR SWEDEN
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 "It Would be so Nice" w/ "Julia Dream" MADE FOR SWEDEN
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 It Would be so Nice w Julia Dream MADE FOR SWEDEN S500 001.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 14806 times
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 reverse
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 reverse
Pink Floyd DANISH PROMO ONLY 1968 reverse 001.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 14806 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

some old live photos here

http://kairyu2112.tumblr.com/post/72108 ... -15-1970-x

New Orleans (May 15, 1970)

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This image is terrible; I cropped it from an image sent to me by a old Dealer who always takes lousy photos, but finds wonderful recordings! Anyway, I am sort of "stuck" using what images I am sent for awhile. Please excuse the weird and warped looking image; that is fine for the music, but not the Jacket. :D

This is an Italian release of "The Piper at the gates of Dawn"; from 1971, on Columbia. It is seemingly difficult to find a copy as nice as this; I know - for I have looked for many years!
Attachments
Pink Floyd 1st LP Italian Unique Cover 1971
Pink Floyd 1st LP Italian Unique Cover 1971
Pink Floyd 1st LP Italian Unique Cover 1971 500.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 14767 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I found this Promo Sheet while looking for something else. This single was released in France, with the Picture Sleeve Art by Syd Barrett; it is an obscure disc, I suppose no one wants to get rid of their copy; I know I don't. The "A" side is often referred to as "Octopus Ride".
Attachments
Syd Barrett Harvest Promo for OCTOPUS RIDE and Golden Hair
Syd Barrett Harvest Promo for OCTOPUS RIDE and Golden Hair
Syd Barrett Harvst Promo for OCTOPUS and Golden Hair 001 50 50.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 14714 times
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY Octopus Barrett with Golden Hair James Joyce
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY Octopus Barrett with Golden Hair James Joyce
SYD BARRETT 45 FRENCH ONLY Octopus Barrett with Golden Hair James Joyceaaa.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 14714 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are so many genuinely interesting or aesthetically pleasing materials from the History Of Pink Floyd that I have managed to obtain over the years, that a few truly unique pieces remain that I would like to share; I am glad that so many people have viewed and hopefully found something they enjoyed.

For myself, this Thread reminds me mainly of the early years; and how this was only one of many bands that so sparked my interest in music that I began to become ever increasingly serious about Sound Quality, and that recordings I obtained, with a very few exceptions were held to nearly impossible criteria, but that did help me build and enjoy what collection of recordings I have.

I was very young, and having always loved music, from Classical to whatever, it has been a great education in History of the last 130 years, approximately, not counting such items as the Original Libretti of Classical Works from earlier years. I was lucky enough to make recordings of wild overlays and combinations for Parties that were truly memorable, and because of my interests, meet people that in hindsight seems Magical to someone like myself who although I do so love Music, spent do much of my life in other pursuits, like my Research.

I am genuinely amazed at just what HAS BEEN placed on vinyl since the 19th Century, and how creative the medium has been since the beginning; truly some of my favorite pieces were recorded before WWI, and well before the Roaring 1920's; anyway, I have enjoyed myself sharing these few images and other Posts; the totality of what has been shared barely begins to give anything like a "complete picture"; more like a few snapshots in Time.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I've found it necessary to move or rearrange the recordings within a certain PINK FLOYD LP Cabinet; and in doing so, I came across an odd example of "A Collection of Great Dance Songs" (1981), with a strange and interesting error I thought you might enjoy. The Obverse Jacket is overlaid with something called DANIELLE DAX, "Fizzing Human Bomb". I received this new and sealed many years ago, when the LP was released, along with some interesting paperwork and some files from the record company.

Because of the PINK FLOYD title, and the Brilliant Artwork of Storm T., I hoped that "DANIELLE" would turn out to be some sort of "Disco-Like or Dance Music", since that fits the Idea (and era) of this LP.

Apparently some unknown screw up caused many of these layouts of Jackets to be included and sent down the line, I learned all but (3) were purposely destroyed, and yet another was destroyed when it was used as a dartboard at Columbia Records! So this copy, and the one my very long time friend, (once employed by) Columbia Music UK/US still has, are the only (2) that are known to have survived intact.

Since the correct PINK FLOYD LP is in this [sealed] Obverse error copy, I have kept it that way all these years.
This was sent to me straight from Columbia Music, along with some other fun stuff in the form of letters to the record label asking permission for use of "Pink Floyd" music from individuals who wished to use excerpts or entire tracks for all manner of purposes - school films mainly); some of these letters are very funny, some are borderline psychotic. I should find those and share a few, (just covering any names that may exist); some of these requests are very carefully done; typed or appear like a word processor; [all are 1981 and before], I think one stranger request is scrawled with pencil.
I just need to think which cabinet they are most likely in.

This LP is a sort of "Best Of" with some different mixes added, and some longer versions. I thought some of you may be interested in the unusual artwork which was apparently, anyway, accidently "created". Because the image(s) are mixed and blurred, I have Posted a slightly larger than I usually use image of the LP Cover (and later - a CORRECT Cover). You can enjoy "Fizzing Human Bomb", which I just found and added. :D
The DAX image looks reversed on (that) final release as shown in the YouTube Image, and the Pink Floyd artwork is "larger" than it should be - both LPs are shown on the same scale. Definitely 1980's. I am fairly certain I had never heard of Danielle Dax; but there is still a great deal I haven't heard.

Since yet "another best of" LP may not be familiar to many people, I borrowed a "Stock Regular" Obverse image.
*****BOTH THE STOCK IMAGE and the LP w/ the INCORRECT OBVERSE CAME FROM THE UK.

Attachments
Pink Floyd A Collection Of Great Dance Songs 1981 REGULAR COVER (For comparison with error cover) a UK Copy.
Pink Floyd A Collection Of Great Dance Songs 1981 REGULAR COVER (For comparison with error cover) a UK Copy.
Pink Floyd A Collection Of Great Dance Songs 1981 REGULAR COVER.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 14741 times
Pink Floyd A Collection of Great Dance Songs 1981 w/  error Obverse Jacket Cover UK
Pink Floyd A Collection of Great Dance Songs 1981 w/ error Obverse Jacket Cover UK
Pink Floyd A Collection of Great Dance Songs w error Obverse Jacket Cover UK 600 2.jpg (161.99 KiB) Viewed 14762 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Over the last few months I acquired several really beautifully packaged ROIO Sets of Concerts and Outtakes I don't believe I have. One "Set" in particular seems to be a likely winner; this is a book about 11" x 13" or so, with 4? CD's/ DVDs combined. I am unable to provide an image for awhile of these recordings, and I may need to eat my words later, but over the years I have obtained many REALLY WELL presented Sets that did not disappoint, and I expect that of this Booklet & CD Set in particular. I hope my previous "experiences" pay off here!

Another Sampler (which I don't believe I have shared before), is a Japanese rarity that I was pleased to obtain a spare copy; the Cover Jacket has a Giraffe's Head and little else besides (I believe) the obligatory Promo Characters in Japanese; the reverse has a listing of the tracks on the disc. This is a circa 1968-70 LP that I have seen only very rarely, and is usually a bit pricey; but I obtained this copy some time ago, but I have been otherwise overly occupied and have only viewed the disc and inserts, all of which look wonderful and I look forward to hearing.
As soon as I am able, I will place an image of the Obverse of the Jacket at least, and images of some if the other "new" ROIOs.

If I seem vague, it is simply because I placed these in the "new" items months ago, and while I was working on the recordings of the "Early 1900's (on)", they are not so clear in my memory, for I have been away from home a few times of late, and Music has necessarily taken a back seat for now.

The quality of many of the ROIOs I have obtained of many bands, not just of the Pink Floyd have been really well done and the sound quality really fantastic; where once I was admittedly reticent to obtain these bootlegs, I try to be discerning and careful but not quite so reluctant.

I was lucky enough to find some exceptional spare copies of several singles I like, from France and Angola; and Japan; but these are simply "spares" that I likely have shown images of before; it has been awhile since I added to this Thread, but I am pleased so many people have viewed the Posts, and I hope enjoyed the images so far.

The next set of "Fun Stuff" I would like to share are a series of documents from Capitol and Columbia Records; letters and a few bits of Ephemera from inside the music machine; some simple, but interesting items I believe many of you might enjoy.
Attachments
Pink Floyd Japanese Odeon Sampler 1971 LP
Pink Floyd Japanese Odeon Sampler 1971 LP
Pink Floyd Japanese Odeon Sampler 1971 LP 290057.jpg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 14461 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I'm currently reading Nick Mason's book.
Definitely some clever writing and an inside look from within of what was happening to the band.
Good stuff.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

good dope/good fun wrote:I'm currently reading Nick Mason's book.
Definitely some clever writing and an inside look from within of what was happening to the band.
Good stuff.
I bought a copy some time ago, when it was released, in fact it is still sealed; I always have thought "Nicky" Mason to be the one in this band who was very easy going and had a great sense of humor; he was very close to Richard Wright; frankly Wright was such a quiet fellow, his contributions are overlooked too often, at least in my opinion. Well, I haven't read only Mason's book yet; I am very behind on so much, especially in my reading.

One interesting thing (at least to me), is what OTHERS have found to be interesting to THEM; I mean the number of views of certain images that have been placed on this Thread; I was surprised to see how really "popular" certain items were, and others, relatively overlooked. It is very enlightening! It is also a bit of a surprise for me to see the number of overall Views; although I did not start the Thread, and many other people contributed, as I did, it was really nice to see that so many had enjoyed the various bits that were shared here for all to see. It is not so simple to cover 50 years in a few pages on the computer screen. I was surprised to see the Thread had something near to 13,500 or so views; what surprised me the most is to realize it was started 2 years ago Plus!
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Via the Head Heritage forum: a "copyright-extending" limited EP of Pink Floyd's very first recordings from 1965, mostly uncirculated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965:_The ... Recordings

For those who missed out on the physical product (i.e. everyone!), it can be "obtained" here...

https://mega.nz/#!91ZXTCzC!fKZBycHxqF3s ... qfPEa8PFWg

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It is true that only a handful, as is usually the case with these Original early acetates and Test Pressings of the earliest material survive of almost ANY band, and it has been a long time; 50 years may be a blink of the eye, still it is a large part of our lives at the same time. It is these Original Test Pressings and Promos and Acetates I enjoy most of all; certainly for the Pink Floyd, since Barrett wrote so many of the earliest tracks. It is uncanny what prices these little recordings bring now.

At first, I passed this by as another re-release of materials available, but as somewhat a "Completist" - but not quite InSAneLy so I thought; I ordered this set of a somewhat pricey 2x 7" of re-released materials anyway.

The first set I bought of these songs, back in the early 1970's; some are named a little differently, (and fun was had with the details on the insert and labels), is a very blandly packaged 10" ROIO in a very nicely made laminated White Jacket from Italy on Pink Wax - and sounds wonderful for it - it is the SOURCE that deteriorates the ultimate sound; most of the recording is very nice, but someone was sloppy along the way, and the unnecessary "sounds" from it hurt the recording. Other 12" ROIO's of differing quality and titles have been added to my collection since that early 10" purchase in the very early 1970's.

Originally, I thought I might purchase the set hoping for "optimized" sound; but I think I'll keep it sealed for awhile, anyway.
I thought some larger images, and the reverse, would better show the listings as given on this release.

Until a GREAT COPY of "Scream Thy Last Scream, Olde Woman in a Casket" is released, not much that is really "new" will be available; but even the BEST copy EMI has of "Scream......" is not likely that good. But, who knows what is being saved, or what master tapes were deemed "unsuitable" and just tossed out - storage isn't cheap; and EMI is no different from other companies who may not always see the "wealth" of exactly what they DO have! There are still a great many Promo Related pieces I haven't had the chance to share.

Although I'm glad these were re-released for people to hear - very different than what was to come in mere months; but I am annoyed that they made this some sort of "Limited" thing just to bump the price AGAIN; they could have made 10 times as many and sold them all, and made even MORE dollars/ pounds / yen / and euros. I never liked that gimmicky business; the last Gilmour 7" Clear Vinyl of "Smile" from "On An Island" did not need to be so "Limited" either; I've seen that (sealed) single I paid $10 sell for $250; but I never was a very good businessman - I never sell my recordings, let alone figure out "gimmicks". Some pieces are exceptionally rare by their very nature; but to manufacture a "calculated minimum" bugs me. But that is the way of it apparently. I can't complain too much, I do believe in Capitalism, and very little in this life is ever truly "free".
Attachments
Pink Floyd 1965 Obverse SEALED
Pink Floyd 1965 Obverse SEALED
Pink Floyd 1965 Obverse 500cc SEALED.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 14589 times
Pink Floyd 1965 reverse SEALED
Pink Floyd 1965 reverse SEALED
Pink Floyd 1965 reverse 500cc SEALED.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 14589 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"Dark Side of the Moon" 20th Anniversary Promo Set" USA Only; Number produced: 100.

This Beautifully made, laminated 1993 Promo set, covered in Artwork from DSOTM was made in the USA and sent to the UK and other countries for review at the Corporate Level; the Set consists of an approximately 8" x 10" "box" with a lid that folds outward; and contains a special Set of items for the Album's 20th Anniversary. The main "box" slides into a protective cover to keep the Promo Set intact, undamaged and protects the iconic DSOTM Artwork on the Cover. Included within are a "Custom Boxed Set Unique-to-this-promo Pic CD, along w/ 7 Art Prints". There are (2) Projector Slides of Pink Floyd performing Live, and a set of (2) Booklets, the 1st concerns the History of the Band, and the 2nd is sales and business oriented; there are (3) 1-2 page sheets in Japanese, French and German that are summaries of sales, and information on the 20th Ann. Promotion. The "sales" booklet is marked for destruction and not to be disseminated. Whoops.

This 1993 Set is a really attractive USA made Promotional Piece; I obtained a copy in 1993 from a friend at the Record Company. Other than holding the Slides to the light for a view, and a one time listen to the Custom Pic CD (made in Japan) for this Promotion and a look at the booklets, this set has remained in its original foamed mailer. I am unable, (for awhile, anyway) to provide photos of this really very nicely designed and executed Promo. Since it is such an attractive item, and a rare one, I would like to share the images when I can. A very similar "Boxed CD" was available commercially at this time. This Promo offers an interesting look into the corporate mindset and approach to a recording which remained on the charts for many years. There is no discussion of the music, really; but a great deal of discussion on past and future Projected Sales. "Money, it's a Hit". Clearly.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

An Early bootleg called "The Man and the Journey" has popped up like mushrooms of different types and jacket covers relatively recently. The first copy I bought was decades ago as a 3LP Set, and a wonderful introduction into what would evolve into a number of pieces, including "A Saucerful of Secrets". These new releases are almost exclusively on CD; and vary as to exact content; as with all ROIO's, you never can be certain of anything. But I was very pleasantly surprised by these and other early pieces being made available again. Most were very affordable, and almost all had been "cleaned up" and sound quite good. So, if you enjoy Pink Floyd, take a gamble on "The Man and the Journey", (which is packaged in a variety of different ways); of course you are gambling on any ROIO in my opinion, for I believe perhaps 20% at best over the years are of a quality I can consider "listenable", but that % is improving.
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

pink floyd

Post by BzaInSpace »

I await the day a proper studio quality release (Mastered by Dave Gilmour?) of the planned fourth and fabled Pink Floyd single:

'Vegetable Man' b/w 'Scream Thy Last Scream' (Old Woman in a Casket)'

is finally released.

I realize way back when it was deemed unsuitable for release, but given the endless poor quality bootlegs over the last few decades and now with an opportunity to get some money towards the Barrett family this would be amazing.

Ultimately no more totally fried sounding as 'Bike' or Syd's incredible solo material.
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I'm a massive Syd fan, but both those songs are terrifying.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I dunno... I think the crappy MP3 takes I've heard of them sound incredible!
O P 8