pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

Although this was predominantly a thread for "PINK FLOYD" related music and ephemera, I came across this quite nice 7" disc of The MOODY BLUES, from a German pressing and Picture Sleeve from 1970. It is truly like new. Finding this disc in one of the "really GREAT overflow boxes" (to find the Pink Floyd Netherlands single you see above from 1973) is very much in the "time machine effect" that I never get tired of. (PLUS, I really like the music; on an exquisite German pressing. This single got "mixed in" with PINK FLOYD singles, so, why not put this one here? "Question", and "Candle of Life". (I DO COLLECT and ENJOY MUCH MORE THAN SIMPLY "PINK FLOYD", you know)! If I could, I would like to gather as many images of great and obscure recordings in my collection as possible to share; but this has been an incredibly "fruitful" 3-4 months, and I have hardly listed anything on the "last 5 LPs you obtained" thread. Just not enough time to do everything, is there? :D

I hope you enjoy these singles and assorted goodies as much as I enjoy seeing and sharing them with you.
Attachments
MOODY BLUES Question Candle of Life 1970 German Release w/ PS
MOODY BLUES Question Candle of Life 1970 German Release w/ PS
MOODY BLUES Question Candle of Life 1970 AAAGerman Release 001.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 19538 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

All of the members of the Pink Floyd released solo albums. I have this (not-so-great Photo) of an absolutely WONDERFUL Solo LP; one of my favorites, called simply "David Gilmour"; most general release copies came with a "Member Of Pink Floyd" sticker by Columbia, (as did the second Solo LP), so it was not until Waters decided to attempt "disbanding the band" that Gilmour was truly free to write and produce his OWN version of what I call "Gilmour's Floyd". Waters responded to the "new" Floyd release as "a pretty fair copy". There was, sadly, as so often happens with talent and egos run amok, great animous and ill will; but frankly, as much as I have enjoyed and applauded Waters' music over these many years, I would not want to work with him either. Much of this is now old news and time DOES heal most things.

Here is a Japanese Promo White label, an Original release of "David Gilmour"; sounds fantastic, and Gilmour was, in my mind, at his PEAK of musical and lyrical work with this c. 1978 Solo release.
Attachments
DavidGilmourLP1 Japanese PROMO White Label 1978.jpg
DavidGilmourLP1 Japanese PROMO White Label 1978.jpg (47.01 KiB) Viewed 19523 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

promo label photo
promo label photo
GilmourLabel.jpg (196.9 KiB) Viewed 19500 times
album cover
album cover
GilmourPromo.jpg (195.53 KiB) Viewed 19500 times
I, too, have this David Gilmour LP, also a promo
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A GREAT Album; although Gilmour DID go on to do some wonderful pieces in "Gilmour's Floyd", I believe this showed a LOT of hitherto "couped up" ideas and "musical & lyrical desires" that were very well done. The Columbia (USA) Promo White labels were very well pressed; and should sound Wonderful! A Promo Single from the LP is shown on page 6.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a VERY DIFFERENT copy of "The Same Old Thing!" - A Jugoton Label pressing and Picture Sleeve quite unlike the CCCP Melodya label discs from the (former) Yugoslavia of earlier years. I recently obtained (2) pristine, [UNPLAYED] 1979 copies of this single, and what a difference there is when compared to the old 1950's "SUBSTANDARD" style Soviet pressings that were tightly controlled in the 1960's and early 70's. THIS IS AN EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH QUALITY PRESSING! Not what one usually finds in a Soviet Satellite.

The Sleeve likewise shows quite a change; textured, with rice-paper inserts (to help) keep the discs from damage; (the rest is left to the owner :D ). I have been buying this label and from this part of the world for decades - even when it was VERY difficult to obtain discs for the West, and the last "batch" of various artists have all been quite good; Wonderful, in fact!

The vinyl quality and pressing is FANTASTIC! (But remember, these were obtained as "new" discs. I have received a dozen or so Jugoton discs in the last few weeks, and all have been pleasant surprises, but I did insist on new and unplayed copies). [One takes a real risk on quality with ANY used item, but certain locales are notoriously bad].

A recording label that was once substandard, now produces discs that can be enjoyed on the best sound systems available.

Historically, Yugoslavia, even when under Soviet Domination, was perhaps the closest to ANY of the satellite countries to have an interesting degree of "Independence"; Common Yugoslavian Eastern Bloc weapons, say a Yugoslav AK-47 is INCOMPATABLE (except for the magazine) with almost every other PART, springs, bolts, muzzlebrakes, barrel diameter and threading, (even certain ammunition) et cetera, from any OTHER Soviet Country!; and this "view of semi-independence" grew as time passed. Unlike MOST of these Soviet Satellites, the Yugoslavians traded with Western European countries in a way that other CCCP dominated states did not. Whereas The CCCP released a very few "Western" recordings, Yugoslavia and to some extent, Hungary, released many more Western records much earlier than what is now Russia.

From Zagreb; From 'The Wall'. 1979
[The Protectant sleeve shows a yellowing artifact that is, in reality, not present on the sleeve].
The Obverse upper right has a lightly printed price on the sleeve itself.

Below is a closeup of the "BRICK" Textured Sleeve; finer quality packaging than many "western" countries!
Attachments
Closeup showing the data and "Textured Sleeve".
Closeup showing the data and "Textured Sleeve".
PF REV Jugoslavian 1979 Another Brick...One of My Turns unplayed bb001.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 19464 times
REVERSE of Jugoton single; Zagreb Harvest
REVERSE of Jugoton single; Zagreb Harvest
PF REV Jugoslavian 1979 Another Brick...One of My Turns unplayedaa 001.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 19471 times
OBVERSE of Jugoton single; Zagreb Harvest
OBVERSE of Jugoton single; Zagreb Harvest
PF Jugoslavian 1979 Another Brick...PtII One of My...unplayed aa001.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 19471 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a Polaroid Photo that hurts me to view it; this is perhaps the saddest possible "Arkiv" item; taken in 1975, while "Wish You Were Here" was being finalized; a rather large, strange person was seen milling about in the studio; eventually saying little more than "I've been eating a lot of pork chops"; Waters and Wright were said to have cried along with Gilmour and Mason when it became clear just who this was. Here is "DARK GLOBE" aka "wouldn't you miss me?".
(A 12" Promo from 1988 has just a snippet of the song, essentially "Wouldn't You Miss Me", and is an eerie sounding disc now that Barrett is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFBt5bX ... detailpage The 7" EP is shown on page 6,

So, I will display this wrinkled piece of History and move on towards the new year. Many of you have likely seen this Photo used in various programs. "Too much is More than Enough".

Roger (Syd) Barrett 1946 - 2006
Attachments
1975 Polaroid
1975 Polaroid
Syd in 1975 at WISH YOU WERE HERE sessions.jpg (61.4 KiB) Viewed 19441 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:55 am, edited 13 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Pink Floyd

Post by semisynthetic »

I have not lost interest nor interesting items to share; just very busy. Again.
Just as soon as I can, I will try to put up some more of this Bloated Stadium Space Cadet Neurosis-inducing Degenerate music that I personally just don't get at all.
:D

It is actually fun for me. And cathartic. I am glad that so many of you take the time to view something that you may have never seen before, or see an example of the original release of a piece of music that may have eluded you.

addendum: January 25th 2014
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is a nicer image from 1969; used for the PROMO PRESS release of the 7" "Fluorescent PINK Vinyl" EP of "CRAZY DIAMOND"; shown earlier in this thread on PAGE 6. The single was taken from the 3CD Box Set of the same name. The band members and others were always helpful to Syd, making certain that royalties of his songs would keep him well cared for all the remaining days of his life.
There IS a fine line between Genius and Madness, and for differing reasons, one may cross that line either way.
I remember well the idiom of "There but by the grace of God go I".

This is a very nice PRESS KIT; in a white, laminated Folder with "CAPITOL" embossed, in script, across the center, with this 8 x 12 Photo and the obligatory hype-sheet and POS sheet. From 1988, "Crazy Diamond".

The 7" PS Single is shown below.
Attachments
7" PS Single on PINK Vinyl
7" PS Single on PINK Vinyl
PS SydBarrettPinkVinyl PROMOsinglea 001.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 19332 times
Syd Barett PROMO PRESS KIT Crazy Diamond aa single 001.jpg
Syd Barett PROMO PRESS KIT Crazy Diamond aa single 001.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 19411 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another extreme rarity from the Netherlands; strange, in that this Nederland release has no Picture Sleeve! The usual FANTASTIC quality pressing, however, is still there. This single is a coupling of "If" (from "Atom Heart Mother"), 1970, with a reprise of Pink Floyd's FIRST "A" Side, of "Arnold Layne", from 3 years earlier. In a simple commercial company sleeve; an obscure and wonderful single release from 1970. I obtained this copy in the late 1990's from a collector in Sweden. I had hoped to place it with the excerpt from Ron Geesin's "Flaming Cow" book on the making of "Atom Heart Mother", but it was in an "overflow" box that it should not have been, along with several other earlier Floyd singles, amongst other wonderful discs, and it took me awhile to find it. :D

Addendum: 3-31-2014; It seemed so odd to me that this disc was NOT released with a PS, I called a collector in Norway I know who had the answer; there were THREE DIFFERENT color Sleeves, much like the very "Pink" Obscured by Clouds many pages back; I have added these to my collection, and when they arrive, and do not get lost in the "overflow" boxes :D , I will include them in this thread. I will be receiving (3) Different Color releases, put away when they came out. I am very pleased to find them and obtain these discs (and of course these sleeves), which were done in what was referred to me as a "Warhol fashion"; basically the same sleeves, just different colors. Amazing that after all these years, yet MORE New discs will arrive and make the collection more complete.
Attachments
"If" / "Arnold Layne" 1970 Nederlands
"If" / "Arnold Layne" 1970 Nederlands
PF IF with ARNOLD LAYNE 1970 NEDERLANDSaaa 001.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 19362 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This "Blast from the Past" was NEXT to the single of "If", above, in the "wrong overflow" box. On Epic, the "classic" single of "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan is absolutely new. I just love the "Time Machine" effect of finding and hearing Pristine recordings that put me back in that year. If I am able to do so, I will play "Time Machine" again with a 10" 78 rpm "PROMO"/sampler (1910) costing a phenomenal original price of 25 cents. WOW. It probably doesn't really belong in this thread any more than THIS 7" single does, but who cares. I really should pour through the 1990's and BEYOND boxes; who knows what I might find! THAT would make a very interesting thread of its own.
Attachments
Donovan Mellow Yellow on Epicaaa 001.jpg
Donovan Mellow Yellow on Epicaaa 001.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 19362 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I was watching this and forgot to bid last night - someone got a great deal!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291061234185
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have been overwhelmed for seemingly ages, but I found an "overflow box" that was in one of the Pink Floyd cases, which contained instead, a sort of "Banquet of Music and Ephemera", including this 1970 Promo card for one of my favorite bands, SPIRIT.

The actual Promo card has a lovely, "spirit-like" image that simply does not transfer to a computer screen, but I liked it so much, I thought I would share it, and as soon as I can, I will post the last of the very best of the Pink Floyd I can find (easily). Including a few new aquisitions.
Attachments
Spirit et al, 1970,  Avalon Ballroom
Spirit et al, 1970, Avalon Ballroom
SPIRIT Postaa.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 19378 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It is desirable to obtain South American discs of any genre you like, they tend to offer wonderful pressings, beautiful opaque and milky colored discs, extra packaging and ephemera that other countries do not. These are not the same high quality that is found with Japanese Vinyl, and I have often wondered if the climate there has something to do with the generally tattered discs and jackets one finds as time goes by.

The problem is, to have a disc that sounds Wonderful, they must be obtained NEW and sealed. Too often I have seen trashed vinyl from South America, and it is a pity. I mentioned some time ago that I obtained UNPLAYED discs from South American Radio Stations; and have some wonderful examples of (mainly GREEN) colored vinyl recordings of many bands, and of course, Pink Floyd, which are almost always a type of "green".

This is a Brazilian "PINK VINYL" [sealed] copy of "The Madcap Laughs"; I have seen other copies, and there is a poster and some small cards, a bit smaller than postage cards, of the Syd Barrett and the Pink Floyd members who helped produce this LP; most of the photos are unique to this release. I am sorry that I could not find any other stock photos, (these LPs are rather obscure); another problem with South American recordings is the relatively small number pressed.

Nevertheless, find some Brazilian vinyl, or Peruvian, Uraguyan, et cetera, and you will have an interesting piece. Many will be pressings from Europe, or even the USA, with the Jackets and inserts made (usually) in the home country. The COLORED vinyl is usually also made in the home country, as are Radio Station copies. (Not surprisingly, I have examples that vary from all of these generalities).

Here is "The Madcap Laughs", 12" LP, Brazilian, 1970, Pink Vinyl, [sealed]. I purchased this in 1981, along w/ a "mixed bag" of assorted [sealed] Radio Station discs, including a Brazilian copy of Bowie's "Scary Monsters".
Attachments
The Madcap Laughs 1970 Brazilan; PINK VINYL, [sealed]
The Madcap Laughs 1970 Brazilan; PINK VINYL, [sealed]
TheMadcapLaughsaaa.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 19348 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I happened across this UK Promo Sheet for "The Madcap Laughs".
Just simple B&W, 8" x 10"; and truly quite mad.
Attachments
Promoting "Octopus Ride" from the FORTHCOMING "The Madcap Laughs"
Promoting "Octopus Ride" from the FORTHCOMING "The Madcap Laughs"
THE MADCAP LAUGHS PROMO SHEETaaa 001.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 19343 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have placed several Barrett items in lately; and I suppose at least part of the reason for that is even many years after "Syd" Barrett left the band, Pink Floyd STILL retains some essence of the original sound; that property, to have "an original and some type of signature sound" is something that all good bands have; it can be fun to play "something unknown", and like it, only to find out it was an "outlier" of a very different sound brought to you by a group you really like, but just didn't recognize, that however, is generally unusual.
But here, Barrett's influence on Pink Floyd,was considerable; he wrote almost all their early lyrics, played lead guitar and was their lead singer. There is something of him in most of the albums; but I am aware that many people do not like or appreciate Barrett's later works in particular.

I have a promo disc wherein David Gilmour, who I believe to be a great guitar player and musician, describes having trouble with one of the solo Barrett albums, some guitar riff or something just wasn't working well at all. Barrett asked him to turn on the recorder, and Barrett played a bizarre piece, and told Gilmour to "play that backwards", and to Gilmour's disbelief, the bit was "perfect"; you can hear Gilmour's voice crack when he says and tries to explain "Do you know how difficult it is to even attempt something like that? There were times that I thought he just PRETENDED to be crazy; because whatever else he had (wrong), he had genius in his abilities".

That thin line again, between genius and being mad.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I own very few Original Master Tapes, and I see from looking at this one that they may all need to be placed in NEW plastic and resealed(!), the yellowing is in the plastic and the tape. This is "One of These Days (I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces)"; a 7" reel of 1" Digital Tape. (Athough it isn't very aesthetically appealing in this old protectant plastic, I thought some of you may find it interesting). Packaged in a VERY HEAVY White 8" box w/ foam protectant, this piece was obtained in 1988, when more and more Digital re-working of tracks was done. I obtained this from a fellow who worked at Columbia Records, (along with a number of very informative files from both Capitol and Columbia dealing with Pink Floyd) that I will dig out and share. Personally, I enjoy ephemera; letters and contracts and contacts and not very flattering memorandum of "inside" items that offer a view that oftentimes I'm certain the Major labels would not like to divulge.

But for now, just another recording with history; there are several pieces throughout the Pink Floyd's history that share similarities with this piece; "Come in Number 51, Your Time is Up" (from "Zabriskie Point" OST, 1970) comes to mind. By the way, in the recent past, I believe 2013, a 2-LP re-release for RSD, includes a number of Grateful Dead pieces and other Pink Floyd pieces that were not used for the soundtrack. "Zabriskie Point" is a very eclectic LP that I mentioned some pages back. I purchased (2) copies, and I still see sealed copies around at a reasonable cost.
Attachments
1" Master Digital Tape of "One of these days...."
1" Master Digital Tape of "One of these days...."
PF One of These Days DIGITAL MASTER 1 inch TAPE 001.jpg (19.8 KiB) Viewed 19303 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In 1992, Roger Waters released "Amused to Death", which is something most people either think is great, or they hate it. I don't understand the polarizing capacity of the piece, but personally, I thought it was one of his best Solo efforts. It is not a happy piece, but a introspective look at the period of the first Gulf War in a sort of surreal "video game" approach that I found appealing.

Below is a little numbered boxed set from Austria of 3 versions of "What God Wants"; it includes some photos, and this Promotional Copy, has a accompanying sheet, and even copy and photos to be used in Magazines and newspaper advertisements. The 2-LP Austrian and Holland sets have remarkable sound quality, as does the Japanese Gold CD Ltd release. A new recording method was used, and is exceptional. This is another cynical view of the world that Waters does so well, I think. Maybe TOO well, and it disturbs some people; THAT may be be the polarizing factor. Anyway, the better your sound system, the more detail, crispness and Dynamic Range contained in this piece can be heard in this specially recorded "Q-sound" LP set.

(The "Strictly Limited" Hype was typical of Columbia, and the sort of thing that annoys me for some reason).

From 1992, Promotional CD Single Box Set of "Amused to Death". Austrian; (The vinyl 2-LP Ltd Set pressed in Austria and Holland).
Attachments
Roger Waters "WHAT GOD WANTS" PROMO CD Box Set; Austrian 1992
Roger Waters "WHAT GOD WANTS" PROMO CD Box Set; Austrian 1992
PF Roger Waters WHAT GOD WANTS Austrian 1992 001.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 19303 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are, by now, a number of duplicative titles that each have some "special" aspect. The DSOTM LP shown below is an excellent example. Touted as a "PRO USE" LP, there is little doubt in the sound quality from this heavy, fantastic pressing of the 1973 LP. Like all Japanese YSL Pressings, it has the characteristic "Obi" (or sash) w/ data and promo photos, along with a unique photo-booklet. But the real treat here is the sound quality, which is magnificent. I have vibrated lightbulbs to death w/ this copy, which I bought many years ago. I used it as a sort of "standard" when I added to my Sound System, and it was wonderful. I like ephemera and the odd fact or photo, but the sound is the point of having this LP. This particular copy arrived as a surprise, since it arrived as an (unexpected) White Label PROMO copy.
Attachments
DSOTM so called "PRO USE" Series, from Japan; White label Promo
DSOTM so called "PRO USE" Series, from Japan; White label Promo
DSOTM Pro Use Japanese aa.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 19286 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"Best Of" LP's of Pink Floyd started showing up by 1970; this is one of several "Masters of Rock" LP's, this particular copy is German, from late 1973. Holland has a far more colorful release, and the Italian copy is my favorite because it has a different lineup that I am particularly fond of. These releases were all made, regardless of country of origin, on excellent pressings, including the Italian release. There are several early Barrett tracks on this series.
Attachments
"Masters of Rock" 1973 German "Best Of" release
"Masters of Rock" 1973 German "Best Of" release
PF Masters of Rock Germanyaaa.jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 19286 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A more obscure "Best Of" Pink Floyd LP is the 1983 release, below, from Hungary. You may notice that Gilmour sitting in the chair was taken from the "Ummagumma" Cover. Very nice pressing from a POST Soviet Hungary with a nice, laminated cover and special inner sleeve. Very Nice. These are not terribly difficult to find, but the trick, as always, is to find a sealed or absolutely mint copy in order to better enjoy the high quality pressing.
Attachments
Pink Floyd Best Of Hungary 1983aaa.jpg
Pink Floyd Best Of Hungary 1983aaa.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 19284 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I mentioned just a bit earlier, the RSD re-release of "Zabriskie Point" OST (as a 2-LP Set), with a few Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd tracks that were not used. Apparently the director was very finicky, at least as Pink Floyd members related the experience; "eets too sad" or "eet ees much too fast" or some complaint; a promo radio program I have has the entire band mimicking the director to see who copied his accent best, all in good fun and laughter; A clip of Mick Jagger doing HIS impression was played on the promo as well.

This OST is a very eclectic LP and I recommend it. Several excellent tracks.
Attachments
Zabriskie Point OST RSD 2013.jpg
Zabriskie Point OST RSD 2013.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 19287 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Solo project by Nick Mason was his collaboration with Rick Fenn in this 1985 release called "Profiles". Mason's solo material is a little more bizarre than the other band members, with perhaps the exception of "Music from the Body" (Waters and Geesin, 1970).
Attachments
Nick Mason and Rick Fenn Profiles 1985aaa.jpg
Nick Mason and Rick Fenn Profiles 1985aaa.jpg (12.63 KiB) Viewed 19287 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is NOT a Pink Floyd LP, obviously, but it was next to "Profiles" (whoops), and is the 1st release of David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World", a really great album that I think gets overlooked. This is a [sealed] 1970 PROMO (MERCURY) copy, and I decided to place it here because this particular cover is not seen very often, it is the original Mercury Label, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. (The Dutch copy of Bowie in a dress is also interesting, but I will leave that for another "thread"). Maybe I will just start threads A-Z , 0-nX; or maybe not. :D
Attachments
The Man who sold the World Mercury 1970 [sealed] David Bowie PROMO
The Man who sold the World Mercury 1970 [sealed] David Bowie PROMO
The Man who sold the World Mercury 1970 [sealed]a.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 19290 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'd love to find that Bowie.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This Photograph is from the collection of someone very close to the band long ago. This Beautifully preserved Photo was to be used in conjunction w/ the release and Promotion of "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun" in 1967. You can see the use of Photos from this same shoot on the Dutch 1st Single P/S earlier in this thread, on Page 8.

I've never mentioned it before; but Barrett was, of course, not pleased to have his work "Banned by the BBC", (although that no doubt helped with sales); so when you hear "Candy and a Currant Bun", as it was officially released, without the drug references, Syd still manages to get "Please, just Fuck me" in the lyrics, and past the censors; it had ORIGINALLY been "Walk with me" on the Verboten "Let's Roll Another One". What I find amusing is the "Banned", yet released single was frowned upon NOT because of the use of the word "Fuck", as it had slipped past them, but because of the stealing of "see through baby blue (panties)" in "Arnold Layne". Very naughty for 1967, the U.K., and for the BBC.
Attachments
1st Single PROMO PHOTOGRAPH; 1967
1st Single PROMO PHOTOGRAPH; 1967
PF Promo PHOTO 1st Single 1967aaa.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 19246 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I noticed that earlier on in this thread, "Meddle" was an LP that several people commented on and liked, if only in part. This is a sealed 1970 ISRAELI only example of that LP. I have (3) of these, but even though the other two have been very well cared for, it is only this [sealed] copy here that retains the original vibrancy of the colors on the jacket, unique to Israel.
Attachments
Pink Floyd Meddle ISRAELI LP [sealed] 1970
Pink Floyd Meddle ISRAELI LP [sealed] 1970
Pink Floyd Meddle ISRAELI LP RECORDaaaa 1970.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 19141 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I saved this little single for "later in the Pink Floyd listing"; this is the first UK (PROMO) release of the first Single, "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun", 1967. I purchased it (new - from a Radio Station owner) and this copy remains unplayed; very few of these first PROMO release P/S examples exist, and it would be extremely difficult for me to replace (this) particular little recording. It seems that every book on Pink Floyd shows this single; but I prefer the P/S copies from Holland and the French EP release; the artwork is better, but for the graphics minded, this is the one, and the "truly original release". :D
Attachments
PF Arnold Layne PROMO Picture Sleeve 7 single UK
PF Arnold Layne PROMO Picture Sleeve 7 single UK
PF Arnold Layne PROMO Picture Sleeve 7 single UK.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 19141 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This EAST GERMAN copy of "Wish You Were Here" has a "photographic" look of a "plastic-like cover", but is in fact, simply a regular LP jacket. This is another copy that I thought many of you may have never seen, and so, here it is, c. 1983, from the FORMER East Germany.
Attachments
PF Wish You Were Here EAST GERMAN LP 1983.jpg
PF Wish You Were Here EAST GERMAN LP 1983.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 19141 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

very cool examples of alternate art
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another "Alternate" version P/S is this German 7" single of "Point me (to) the Sky"/ "Careful w/ that Axe Eugene" from 1968; generally the title is Point me AT the Sky, but I have noticed all the Japanese releases and Spanish and Portugese translate or use "AT" instead.
(This is not my favorite issue of this single; I prefer the UK and Dutch Copies, seen earlier in this thread). It is much more Obscure however, and I have not seen an example like this in a very long time; and since it IS NOT seen that often, I included it here. I bought this single from a collector in Germany a week or so after "Ladies and Gentleman We are Floating in Space" was released, so this is a relatively new addition to my collection compared with most of the Floyd singles. Another EXCELLENT Quality German pressing; I have always found German pressings to be of very high quality.

This was the LAST piece written with the intent of releasing it as a single, the post-Barrett Pink Floyd went a different route when (this) failed miserably (in sales); personally, I think the longer, more free-form-like pieces became the forte' and strong point of this "new" Band when Barrett went on permanent vacation, and served them well on "A Saucerful of...", "Meddle" and other, still fairly early pieces.
Attachments
PF Point Me (To) The Sky German 1968
PF Point Me (To) The Sky German 1968
PF Point Me (To) The Sky German release PS.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 19103 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

On the previous page is another "Masters of Rock" LP, though from Germany; I mentioned the Dutch release, and this Swedish release is almost identical, but likely seen less often. Each of these "Masters of Rock" issues from different countries have some variation of song title, order, or differing song versions; and again, I will mention that the earlier page cover (not this one) from Italy instead of Germany is (my) favorite copy because of the song lineup. These all have early singles that unfortunately, most people have not heard, even if they have heard the later material or the first LP.

This series is very good however for anyone who dislikes the "stadium bloating era" and may enjoy the earlier material which unless you have the original 7" singles, you may not otherwise easily find.
Attachments
PF Masters of Rock SWEDEN c. 1973
PF Masters of Rock SWEDEN c. 1973
PF Masters of Rock SWEDENaaa.jpg (35.79 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another "Alternate P/S" release, again from Germany, of "Apples and Oranges" w/ "Paintbox", 1967. I have always enjoyed this 7" single, the "A" side by Barrett, and "Paintbox" by Richard Wright. I included this (yet another) example as a comparison of the artwork; you may notice that the cover photo appears to be from the same shoot as the Photo seen at the bottom of the previous page. A Wonderful single, although I prefer the simplicity of the Swedish release, with the "Top 10" of 1967 on the reverse. The record is essentially new, but the sleeve had faded with time, and looks like it did when I bought it in 1975.
Attachments
PF Apples and Oranges with Paintbox, Germany; 1967
PF Apples and Oranges with Paintbox, Germany; 1967
PF Apples and Oranges with Paintbox Germany 1967.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Although I have tried to avoid being redundant, there are just so few of these early singles, from different countries, with differing artwork still about; so I have taken these from my collection to share with you.

It is interesting to me to see how different countries treat essentially the same releases, [REGARDLESS of the band]. (This just happened to be a Pink Floyd thread that I ended up adding to). :D The FRENCH release of the above single has perhaps the most creative Artwork, but I have not added it here, not yet, anyway.

I hope some of you find these of interest. I have listed about 125-130 recordings, which is just a "larger sampler" than this thread had before. There are HUNDREDS of original vinyl releases that I haven't even mentioned yet from all over the world. I have concentrated on the more obscure and the recordings, that many of you will likely be familiar with, (but in different P/S or other packaging). I hope there have been some examples that "surprised" you in some way, and the recordings shown were informative. I have also focused on the early material because it happens to be, for the most part, my favorite Pink Floyd, and music that I thought may be unknown to a few of you; and since the whole "Bloated Stadium Thing" seems to have hurt the band's image, I suggest that you give some of the early singles a try, and I think you will hear a great difference, and perhaps even enjoy it!

I have heard music that I did not particular like; and after giving it another try, I was surprised that I had not heard "the same music as I did" the first time; I'm not saying this will happen to you with THIS MUSIC, but who knows.
:D It certainly does not hurt to have the best possible Sound System to give it a try with; for there are layers and layers of sonic detail that the radio and YouTube simply can't do justice to.

I was thinking of adding at least another page if this page continued to show interest.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Until very recently, I was unaware of this Promo Only CD of "Gilmour's Floyd", promoting the track "Lost For Words" from the LP "The Division Bell". Perhaps the reason it eluded me, as I later learned, was that this US only CD Single had just 300 total discs made, and none of these for commercial sales. Nice packaging, PicCD and insert. I received this just yesterday.

I like David Gilmour; and I remember the LP being issued first on Translucent Blue vinyl, and later on black; but these later pieces are, (in my opinion), not of the caliber or quality of the original early band, or the transitioned band w/ Gilmour in 1968 to 1972. I placed it here like the many other examples, for the interest in the artwork and for the release. That may be too harsh: Gilmour is a wonderful musician, and like Waters before him, he still maintained some "essence" of the sound of the original band; but I STILL refer to anything after 1983 as "Gilmour's Floyd".

"Lost for Words" PROMO CD - "Clean version" and "LP version", 1994.
Attachments
Lost For Words  US PROMO ONLY CD 300 total  from  The Division Bell Gilmour 1994aaa 001.jpg
Lost For Words US PROMO ONLY CD 300 total from The Division Bell Gilmour 1994aaa 001.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 19091 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: pink floyd "and Disenchantment"

Post by semisynthetic »

I understand the "disenchantment" with this band and how certain tracks are deemed more or less "quaint" by todays worldview; why a whimsical little song about some fellow who steals ladies underwear in 1967 now may sound "ho-hum"; but I think to enjoy a great deal of music, one must try to place themselves in that era; just like there is a certain "quaintness" to older films, a simpler age with a different approach to viewing the world around us; a time that may require a little suspension of disbelief, like "Alices Adventure's in Wonderland", to be properly enjoyed. Why take so much so seriously?

Likewise, I understand the similar disenchantment with the "Bloated Stadium Space Cadet" era of Pink Floyd, where a band that had so often played in very intimate surroundings for YEARS was thrust upon the Stadium circuit. For what it's worth, the band themselves learned quickly to dislike these venues, but what should they have done? Hide? The Psychedelia and "Games for May" had by now, with Water's writing, turned into a more introspective and cynical look at the music business, the fans, and the toll it had on all of the band and their individual approaches to music.

Maybe because I have long enjoyed what I have mentioned before, that "Time Machine Effect", where I "trip back to the era" I hear as best I can, and I believe listening in this way, and this outlook serves me very well, and I believe gives me an open mindedness of what I am about to enjoy that I might very otherwise easily not bother to try and attain! Although this "Time Machine Effect" is made easier with very old (but quality!) discs when they are played on the "Gramaphone" player of their time, it works just as well with last century or last year.
I was never terribly interested in what was "popular", but what I enjoy listening to - the music of almost every genre and era. I believe an "error" that is easily made, is to compare very different types or eras of music with "Today"; it certainly IS 'Apples and Oranges' to do so, and this comparison fails, I think, and skews the perception of a piece in question.

I have a few more photographs ready for this thread, if people are enjoying pieces they may have never seen (and might even try and just give a few tracks a listen). I enjoy sharing these few pieces of my Collection that I have found so much fun to create, and I am very happy that so many of you have apparently enjoyed (some) of what you saw; the number of views this thread has in such a relatively short time was a great surprise for me.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Well, since a mint flawless pressing of Obscured by Clouds eludes my low budget and bidding skills, I took a chance on a decent quality copy from eBay. The cover is a bit rough with a couple tears, but it is the rounded corner sleeve I wanted and it's a German pressing to boot.

Side A looks really clean; Side B has some surface marks that hopefully will not detract from the wonderful music on this album.

Now I can bide my time until I come across a stellar copy, if that day ever comes. I only paid $12 plus a little shipping. :mrgreen:

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

German Harvest pressings are Wonderful; heavy and well pressed. That is one of my favorite Pink Floyd LP recordings; yet so little of the music is used in the Film, it seems odd to call this an OST!

This is a great choice, I am happy that you obtained a title that you wanted.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

As I am gleaning the "creme' de la creme'" of the "obscure and rare to share", I keep finding things IN THE WRONG "overflow" boxes! Here is a VERY NICE Dutch example on "Apples 1001" of Lennon/Ono of "Cold Turkey"/ "Don't worry Kyoko", on the original release from 1969, packaged as though it was from Sweden! The Japanese copy is different, but similar; however, this is far more obscure; but I bought THIS some time back because I liked the artwork, Lennon's Title track, AND because the lovely 7" single pressing is "like new".
Attachments
Denmark 1969; COLD TURKEY; Apples label; "like new" 7" single; w/ double inner sleeve
Denmark 1969; COLD TURKEY; Apples label; "like new" 7" single; w/ double inner sleeve
Lennon Ono COLD TURKEY 7 single DENMARK 1968aaa.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 19050 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

To compliment the "rounded corner" European Packaging of "Obscured by Clouds" above, (which it seems, most people like at least SOME of the LP), here is a [sealed] "SQUARE CORNERED" variant USA copy from 1972 w/ hype sticker to promote the new OST LP and the Film La Vallee'. I was pleasantly surprised to see much brighter colors and a clearer image on the Jackets of several [sealed] Central and South American copies when I put this away.
Attachments
OST from "La Vallee'" Obscured by Clouds USA variant [sealed] 1972
OST from "La Vallee'" Obscured by Clouds USA variant [sealed] 1972
PF Obscured By Clouds USA sticker 1972aaa La Vallee.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 19047 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I will be adding some discs and ephemera soon; I have happened across several discs from a collector in Norway, and another in Sweden that are exceptional. (Plus, it does take time to share these with you; I enjoy it, and I'll continue. There are many interesting and obscure pieces that I think you will find interesting also).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 31, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have enjoyed this band for a very long time now, >43 years. Sometimes the Obscure have come to me easily, and other discs, from other climes, are elusive as some species thought extinct! I had this release on my "list of things to obtain" for 25 Years. I sent letters and made phone calls all around the USA and Europe; (There was no "Internet" except the one used by the Military). I gave lists to the Private Dealers that were usually capable of finding the impossible; yet nothing of this Swedish Only release PS from 1968 could be found.

I was very pleased when at last I opened a small box to find this and several other Swedish discs. The paper is thin; the artwork is a bit Unusual - since Syd Barrett was now on semi-permanent vacation, and yet he still appears on this 1968 disc. "It Would Be So Nice" was written by Richard Wright, and Waters wrote "Julia Dream". Even 20 years ago this was a great rarity, (and was not exactly free); but I have only seen this singular copy in my hand; and shown in a publication or two. The disc was very well cared for; and I was greatful for that, and to actually obtain ANOTHER Swedish rarity! I know it doesn't look like much; but I challenge you to present another! These are both songs I believe (MOST) of you would enjoy; definitely the Early "Pink Floyd Sound", but before the possible excess and largesse of "Stadium Bloat" and "Bread and Circus" that people seemed to demand in the later years; like the way Rome fell.

Now, with the advent of the Internet, many more people may find their "unique" and special recordings without waiting 25 years or more. It is the Music which is important; and for me it has always been so. [By the way, this is the Promo release].

From Sweden (only), this PS w/ "It Would Be So Nice"/ "Julia Dream" 1968 PROMO; Number released? Unknown.
(The back of this sleeve is blank).
Attachments
It Would Be So Nice / Julia Dream - SWEDISH ONLY PS;  1968
It Would Be So Nice / Julia Dream - SWEDISH ONLY PS; 1968
It Would Be So Nice Julia Dream SWEDISH ONLY PS 1968aaa 001.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 19392 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Like the disc above, the PROMO PS was Pink; however, the common releases were often only in B&W. In fact, the commercial release of the Swedish disc above, (which I did not show) has SOME pink, but mainly B&W. And so it is with the early USA releases; I showed a copy of "See Emily Play" / "Scarecrow" early on, in a protectant sleeve that practically makes the pink GLOW! The commercial release of that USA PS and disc seems to be rarer than the promotional copies! The lack of color however, and the "look", as many DJs and consumers alike complained. "like someone spilled something" on the sleeve, is shown here, in the 1967 USA TOWER copy of "See Emily Play"; a song I think most people regard as certainly ONE of the best juicy bits of Psychedelia from the 1960s. Released in 1967, the B&W "something spilled on it" looking release.
Attachments
"See Emily Play" / "Scarecrow"; general release PS from 1967
"See Emily Play" / "Scarecrow"; general release PS from 1967
seeemilyUSgeneral 001aaB&W.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 19388 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri May 16, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Over the years, many other artists have played their "versions" of Pink Floyd tracks. One of the first of these, has Bowie singing "See Emily Play", on his "Pin Ups" LP; a cover album of some of Bowie's "favorites". More recently, Bowie and David Gilmour performed "Arnold Layne", the 1st release of Pink Floyd. I skipped through a crowd of these things, but I thought ONE example wouldn't be overdoing it, so here is a Red Vinyl "(HELL) cut Record by "TRUE WEST" performing "Lucifer Sam" from Pink Floyd's first LP; this was released in 1980. (Lucifer Sam was Syd Barrett's cat).
Attachments
Syd Barrett "Tribute" LUCIFER SAM performed by TRUE WEST 7 single 1980 RED VINYL; West Coast Punk/ New Wave
Syd Barrett "Tribute" LUCIFER SAM performed by TRUE WEST 7 single 1980 RED VINYL; West Coast Punk/ New Wave
Syd Barrett Tribute LUCIFER SAM performed by TRUE WEST 7 single 1980.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 19391 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

well, i jumped on a 'buy it now' of US promo Obscured by Clouds, vinyl is allegedly NM (we'll see) - it was pretty low priced, it just popped up on my saved searches at the right time. will report back once it comes.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is another "tough one" to find; The Spanish EPL 14.377. Brightly colored, encased in a clarafoil-like laminate, this EP contains the first single "Arnold Layne" / "Candy and a Currant Bun" AND the second single, "See Emily Play" / "Scarecrow" in a single disc. You will find Bootlegs of this all over the net; usually on colored vinyl; I have no absolute numbers on the suggested numbers that were printed and pressed; but I do know this was not a widely available single, even in 1967; to find one NOW in "as new" condition is apparently nearly impossible. I know from speaking with a fellow who wrote a book on just Pink Floyd Sleeves (I still haven't read it yet), that this was one of the hardest "niches" to fill when he wrote his book. So here is THAT EP, from 1967, from Barcelona Spain.
Attachments
Pink Floyds FIRST RELEASE as an EP ESPANIA 1967 - w/ Syd in The Shadows.
Pink Floyds FIRST RELEASE as an EP ESPANIA 1967 - w/ Syd in The Shadows.
Pink Floyds FIRST RELEASE as an EP ESPANIA 1967aaaa 001.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 19369 times
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Really enjoying these postings. Excellent stuff and most reassuring to note that there are people who collect even more obsessively than I. :lol: :lol:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Although it is essentially impossible now, it was once ALMOST possible to be a completist in enjoying a band or a single artist; but, since I was asked by people to "contribute" to this thread, and did, I have Enjoyed it!

I have tried to "span time" of the works of Pink Floyd, in all of its iterations; but I do find that the 1966 - 1977 era to be generally, my favorite era. I DO understand the feelings of a "bloated band"; but, they tried to give the people what they wanted, and seem to have always wanted, some type of "Bread and Circus".

If I had enough time, I would enjoy just starting "at the beginning", say 1882-1888, and continue ON. It is amazing what has made it onto vinyl and waxes and other, similar media; I have been collecting music I like and (DO NOT) for what seems less than the 40 years+ it is in fact, but I do enjoy it, and I hope most people who view these discs and Artwork will find SOMETHING that they too enjoy; even if it IS learning that there ARE crazier people out there than you! :D

Seriously, though, I wish I COULD SHARE the actual music of the early era of 19th Century recordings through WWII, for there are so many Wonderfully Wild and Bizarre pieces out there, that a "New" way of Categorization may someday be needed! The current "normal" Rock, Pop, yawn, et cetera, is simply insufficient.

But, I will add a page or three more on this thread; it has been fun for me, and I am very happy with the PMs and other comments. I believe many of these recordings may have gone unknown to you had I NOT shared the artwork and a little bit about the recording. Anyway, for whatever reason, I do hope those on the site enjoy seeing a little slice of Musical History.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Some kind of Divison Bell related Pink Floyd announcement is being made very soon:

http://www.divisionbell20.com/
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It doesn't seem possible that was 20 years ago! I remember coming home from the Lab, and seeing the Record Store still open very late, selling the "New" release, so I stopped and bought 2-3 copies; the first were on blue translucent vinyl.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am expecting a little disc that I have looked for since 1972......it should be here by the end of the week. IF I AM HERE, I will certainly post it.
Living in the Counytryside does have little extras one never considers; but since I do and have and will receive "my share" of recordings, the Post Office doesn't deliver them, but keeps them on a shelf in an airconditioned room & I go to retrieve them. The discs stay safe, and they are saved the hassle of delivery. IT'S GREAT!

- Did Not Show. I suppose I can wait another week.....
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 24, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Due to my money woes right now, I just put my first pressing dark side (a2/b2) on ebay last night. Doing well already with a week to go. I'd rather not sell, but what can you do eh? It's either sell one floyd record or 4 others.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am sorry that you need to get rid of ANYTHING; but quite naturally, I would keep what I LIKED the most; "what is it worth" is a very subjective game to play, so I look at my music in terms of what I PERSONALLY think is more important; I am not very pragmatic in this sense, I know if I sold certain items I would have more money; but at the moment I am flush. First releases of almost EVERYTHING do bring more, so of course that is a logical thing to do. The world is awash in other "rare" DSOTM issues, so that someday if you wish to obtain when the time another when is right to do it. I hope you get a good price, but frankly, I do not know "how much" that would be. I hope someone who wants the copy will be generous in their purchasing.
Good Luck to you.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A 3-CD Set of a Truly 'expanded form" of The Harvest "Picnic" / "Breathe of Fresh Air" showed up; This is a Japanese example made for EMI, thus it lacks the OBI. This is a GREAT SET! I have made the images large enough that I hope you can read them, or take the image and blow it up on your computer. WONDERFUL BANDS, along with a few Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett releated pieces. I won't list what you read yourselves, but there are some amazing tracks here, from 1969 - 1974. In general, these were the more obscure, but other tracks are "favorites" for certain bands. If you can, I suggest obtaining a copy; I forgot what it cost, but it seemed very reasonable; a lot of music here, and many additions to the Original 2LP sampler. THE COVER of this 3-CD set is the REVERSE (back) IMAGE of what is seen on the Original 2-LP set I showed some pages back.
Attachments
Harvest Records Anthology 1969 - 1974 A BREATHE of FRESH AIR Japanese made for EMI 2007 [sealed]
Harvest Records Anthology 1969 - 1974 A BREATHE of FRESH AIR Japanese made for EMI 2007 [sealed]
Harvest Records Anthology 1969 - 1974 A BREATHE of FRESH AIR Japanese made for EMI 2007 001.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 19304 times
Harverst A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR Track Listing
Harverst A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR Track Listing
Harverst A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR Track Listing aa627549001.jpg (87.58 KiB) Viewed 19304 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The Pink Floyd "Original Soundtrack" albums are great; I have shown the "usual" Zabriskie Point LP from the UK. US and other countries, but the OTHER jacket, below, happens to be a Japanese Promo White Label; but, remove the OBI (and Japanese script), and you have the jacket used in the French issue. This is an eclectic album, as I've written before, with a variety of very dissimilar artists and eras. VERY NICE!
"Zabriskie Point", OST, 1970; Japanese Promo - with a Jacket essentially the same as the French issue.
Attachments
Zabriskie Point PROMO Japanese 1970
Zabriskie Point PROMO Japanese 1970
Zabriskie Point PROMO Japanese 1970aaa.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 19301 times
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

James T wrote:Due to my money woes right now, I just put my first pressing dark side (a2/b2) on ebay last night. Doing well already with a week to go. I'd rather not sell, but what can you do eh? It's either sell one floyd record or 4 others.
would that be the blue triangle pressing?
as seen here?
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-D ... se/1873013

my 2nd copy of Obscured arrived, this time a US 'promo' (but more likely an overstock with a hole punched in the sleeve).
an eBay seller put it up with very little grading or description at a low 'buy-it-now' price, so I gambled, and the disc is nearly pristine. if there is even ONE mark on it, i cannot see it.

now the test will be my ears. headphones upon first listen, i suspect.

i will post a photo of some differences to look for when glancing at the covers of this album.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

If it is a "neatly" punched hole in the corner, and of LARGER diameter than say, a regular hole punch, your OST may indeed be a PROMO. Sometimes, the companies needed more copies than had been "specially" made, but if the disc is clean and devoid of problems - you did very well. It is like gambling; so when I find any source that is reliable and consistent, I remember them! I am very glad the LP looks good; no EAR test yet, eh? The final analysis.......:D
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

davedecay wrote:
James T wrote:Due to my money woes right now, I just put my first pressing dark side (a2/b2) on ebay last night. Doing well already with a week to go. I'd rather not sell, but what can you do eh? It's either sell one floyd record or 4 others.
would that be the blue triangle pressing?
as seen here?
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-D ... se/1873013
The copy does have the solid blue triangle, but there are different variations of this going by matrix numbers and gatefold sleeve manufacturer. A copy near identical to mine went for around £150 last week, so hopefully i can get at least to 100 cause I need it!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Here are the fronts of the two Obscured by Clouds.

Domestic (US) on the left, you can see the punch hole.

Note the different photo arrangement on the backs:

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

semisynthetic wrote:I am expecting a little disc that I have looked for since 1972......it should be here by the end of the week. IF I AM HERE, I will certainly post it.
Living in the Counytryside does have little extras one never considers; but since I do and have and will receive "my share" of recordings, the Post Office doesn't deliver them, but keeps them on a shelf in an airconditioned room & I go to retrieve them. The discs stay safe, and the Postal carriers are saved the hassle of delivery. IT'S GREAT! :D
The kid in me is so undeniably HAPPY.

After all these years, I finally have a Pristine, unbelievably "LIKE NEW" disc copy (with PS) of the UK PROMO of "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett) / "Paintbox" (Wright) w/ The PROMO PS. I have "passed" on several other copies over the years, they were simply not quite, well - good enough. But I believe it impossible to improve upon this disc! 42 YEARS I have waited, and this set was worth it. The PS does have a small .5 cm wrinkle, and the Orange Color is somewhat faded and "bled" out from the print; but it is the best vinyl copy I have ever seen or could have hoped for! I bought it from an "UberCollector" in Norway I have known for years; I called and asked him to keep an eye open, and he offered to sell me a copy from HIS collection, so I was not in the least concerned about the quality; he is at least as particular as I, but I was just a little anxious that it arrive intact. :D He was very serious, which only made it funnier when he "admitted", "I av played thees deesc - but eet ees VONDERFUL!"
This Single was NOT released in the USA; but you have seen examples from most of the other European releases, although I may have missed one or two, here and there.....(But I have often thought I may have been TOO repetitive)!

From what I have shown you, and how I have spoken of this disc, this Pairing of Barrett and Wright I believe to be one of the very best singles ever released by Pink Floyd; it was also, sadly, the last - at least with "Syd" Barrett. However, to their great credit, I believe that the Band DID MAINTAIN the "essence" of the "Floyd" sound.

...............[Here it is:
Syd Barrett did NOT want to "mime" because John Lennon didn't have to.....
This is NOT the "best sound"
, but I think it may be the best Historical way of introduction of a Love Song by a guy who drives some girl about - For they are, as the saying goes, (in many ways) like "Apples and Oranges". I have always thought this single to be, well, "VERY ENGLISH"; much of what Pink Floyd could be decribed that way, I think; it comes across in phrasing and is often quite clearly stated "in the English way".
UK PROMO of "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett)/ "Paintbox" (Wright) w/ PROMO PS Nov. 17th 1967 release date.
Attachments
SIDE A: "Apples and Oranges" with "Paint Box" UK PROMO
SIDE A: "Apples and Oranges" with "Paint Box" UK PROMO
Apples and Oranges with Paint Box UK PROMO with PS 11 17 1967aaaaa 001.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 19236 times
Apples and Oranges PROMO UK PS Obverse
Apples and Oranges PROMO UK PS Obverse
Apples and Oranges PROMO UK PS Obverseaaaa 001.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 19236 times
Apples and Oranges PROMO SLEEVE reverse 1967 UK
Apples and Oranges PROMO SLEEVE reverse 1967 UK
Apples and Oranges PROMO SLEEVE reverse 1967 UKaaaa 001.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 19236 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:52 am, edited 11 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

After all of the suggestions I have made to you to "Obtain SAMPLERS", it ocurred to me, (and I checked through all of the postings I've made), and I left out a WONDERFUL SAMPLER LP, again from Harvest. You simply cannot go wrong with these, even if you do not enjoy the Pink Floyd cuts on these, there is such a Wealth of other bands that did not get the attention they deserved, or have been "lost in the crowd" like so many have.

So, here is another GREAT Harvest sampler, from c. 1970,
"The Harvest Story Vol. 1 - (subtitled ART SCHOOL DANCING)".
Attachments
THE HARVEST STORY LP, c. 1970
THE HARVEST STORY LP, c. 1970
THE HARVEST STORYaaaa.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 19233 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Album I have "overlooked" was "Ummagumma"; each band member has a half-side of an LP to play with (and on); and there is a "Live" concert of the "A Saucerful of Secrets" era. Below is the 1st Japanese release, a few months after the UK/ USA release dates. Wonderful sound quality as always with the Japanese discs; (a hint that this IS the early release is the "Odeon" listing on the Jacket. Originally released in 1969, "Ummagumma", which was apparently a reference to a completely natural.....sexual activity (as expressed at certain Colleges in the UK).
Perhaps THAT helps explain the use of the OST Jacket from "Gigi" on the album's cover.
Attachments
Ummagumma 2-LP Gatefold, 1st Japanese pressing 1970 on Odeon; (Originally released in the UK/USA in 1969).
Ummagumma 2-LP Gatefold, 1st Japanese pressing 1970 on Odeon; (Originally released in the UK/USA in 1969).
Ummagumma 2LP Gatefold 1st Japanese 1970aaa release.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 19237 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

You have seen this PS and release many pages back, but I thought I would include a very well done Japanese copy; heavy jacket-cover material, exceptionally heavy pressing with inserts. Nice Copy of this example from "Gilmour's Floyd", 1987.
Attachments
Learning to Fly / Terminal Frost 7" Japanese release (Gilmour's Floyd 1987)
Learning to Fly / Terminal Frost 7" Japanese release (Gilmour's Floyd 1987)
Learning to Fly Terminal Frost 7 Japanese release.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 19237 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A simple PROMO from France; "Money" w/ "Any Colour You Like", 1973
Attachments
Money /  Any Colour You Like;  FRENCH PROMO - 1973
Money / Any Colour You Like; FRENCH PROMO - 1973
Money Any Colour You Like FRENCH PROMO 1973 aaaa001.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 19244 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I came up with what I THINK is a list which most of you would like (maybe most) of these tracks.
It is SO MUCH BETTER to hear these tracks on the BEST SOUND SYSTEM YOU CAN. Many of the singles can be had on "Masters of Rock", with the German and Italian copies having the best (total) lineup; a 4 Track CD of the first 2 singles was included in a c. 1994 Box Set of CDs called "Shine On".

SINGLES
1 Arnold Layne 1967
Candy and a Currant Bun 1967

2 See Emily Play 1967
Scarecrow 1967
...................................................."The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" 1967
3Apples and Oranges 1967
Paint Box 1967

4 Let There be More Light 1967
Remember a Day 1967
...................................................."A Saucerful of Secrets" 1968
5 It Would Be So Nice 1968
Julia Dream 1968

6 Point Me at the Sky 1968
Careful with Axe Eugene 1968

ALSO QUITE NICE
.......................................................-"ATOM HEART MOTHER" 1970
.......................................................-"OST MORE LP" 1969
.......................................................-"Meddle" 1971
.......................................................-"OST OBSCURED by CLOUDS" (La Vallee') LP 1972
.......................................................-"OST ZABRISKIE POINT" LP 1970
.......................................................-"LIVE at POMPEII" VIDEO 1972 (orig release)

From There ON, You're on your own..........................................
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It seems that interest may at last be waning; so I may add another page of "final examples". I have enjoyed sharing these few discs, some of which are my favorites of Pink Floyd, some that are ridiculously Obscure and extremely difficult to present in this quality. It did not happen overnight, that is certain; I looked the world over for some of these recordings, and a great many more that will not be shown. I hope YOU have enjoyed seeing some of these interesting examples through Time. I hope others will add examples not yet shown, or simply what they are pleased to have obtained.

It is interesting to me how different countries or eras presented the releases; there are many bands that exist in part, because of support and production by members of Pink Floyd. There are some really wonderful pieces that came from this band, I just wish I could share more of the music, some of the more obscure mixes & mono mixes. But, this has been OK; In fact, the interest lasted longer than I expected, but I suppose everyone enjoys seeing a variety of "NEW" releases and artwork PSleeves, for this is a very inquisitive crowd who it is easy to see loves music.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

What should one expect to pay for an EX copy of the original solid blue triangle version of Dark Side of the Moon?

Likewise first press of Atom Heart Mother, UK, EX quality?

A fellow is taking offers, and I don't want to offend him or waste his time.