JJ Cale dies, aged 74

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

JJ Cale dies, aged 74

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
suskind
Known user

Re: JJ Cale dies, aged 74

Post by suskind »

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sad news to come upon. RIP.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Was away this weekend so saddened to read this. Shame that most reports talk about bloody Clapton than him, but there is an excellent obituary article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 35567.html

"...he also influenced Neil Young, Tom Petty and Jason Pierce of Spiritualized...

...he was renamed JJ Cale by the Whisky a Go Go entrepreneur Elmer Valentine, who booked him to replace Johnny Rivers for the occasional gig and wanted to avoid confusion with John Cale, the bassist and violist with the Velvet Underground..."

Weirdly enough when I saw their names on the credits of the early Spiritualized singles I assumed they were one and the same, somehow.

Like many here I suppose I hunted down Naturally for the original 'Call Me The Breeze' - plus the second track is called 'Call The Doctor'. It's one of my favourite albums, every song is great and that amazing, sparse style is all over it. His great voice sorta whispers in your ear. Who knows what kind of music it really is - ostensibly it's kinda country but there is a jazzy kind of shuffle over it, a bit of R&B and a lot of soul. Like Sly Stone an early enthusiast of drum machines too - he still makes them funky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcdtbIW0m4U

Give Naturally a blast if you haven't heard it - from experience I can safely say it works equally as well as a Saturday night record as one for Sunday morning...

I also rate Really, Okie, and a later album called Guitar Man but there is a lot of his stuff I've yet to hear...
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I too was saddened to hear about this. His style defied age and time and it was always a treat to get another LP from him. Honestly it was somewhat diminishing returns after the 70s but Cale was the kind of artist who never released a bad album -- if you like one, you'll find much to like on all the others. His Escondido album with Eric Clapton a few years back was the best thing Clapton released in many years.
BzaInSpace wrote:Who knows what kind of music it really is - ostensibly it's kinda country but there is a jazzy kind of shuffle over it, a bit of R&B and a lot of soul. Like Sly Stone an early enthusiast of drum machines too - he still makes them funky.
I think he called it the "Oklahoma shuffle," a smooth blend of different americana genres with a subtly sensual side. Magnolia from Naturally might be my favorite song of his -- one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard.

J.J. Cale was much imitated but seldom equaled. I'll have to give his stuff some valedictory listening.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Nice, albeit brief, interview with Jason on Radio 4's The Last Word regarding J J Cale - I think it's repeated at some point and is probably on iPlayer.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very saddened to read this; I am a great JJ Cale fan; it is always difficult to lose so much talent; it makes one think about what the totality of (each) of our own achievements will be, and whether our achievements and experiences are to be lost forever, or somehow saved; some particular work or works that allows each of us to live on in a manner we (hopefully) would be pleased with; Very saddened indeed to read of this.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There in lies the beauty of art.
It lives on.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)