Lips article

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Lips article

Post by spzretent »

Kind of nails how I feel about the Lips post Clouds.
http://lineout.thestranger.com/lineout/ ... sychedelia
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Re: Lips article

Post by redcloud »

I totally agree 100% and I think the silly stage show, kooky costumes make it seem almost like a wacky Kiss concert.

Bottom line, the music from "SB" onwards just doesn't interest me in the slightest. But, who are we, right? They have more fans now than ever and many of them are new, younger fans who probably don't own anything before 'Transmissions' (only owning 'Transmissions' because "Jelly" was once on 90210 and probably still played in the live set).

I'll go one further...I think when all the "SB" stuff first came out even though I didn't jive to the new direction there was something endearing about the acid punks from Oklahoma finally making it. Who would have thought, 'eh? But now they have totally over stayed their welcome and are boring and downright annoying.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm one of your recent fairweather Lips fans who primarily likes the three mainstream pop records, and the associated live album. I've never been too interested in their earlier, scratchier stuff. But I feel much the same way as you do about the current state of the Lips.

At least from SB through Mystics they were honest about their desire to conquer the marketplace and become THE psychedelic standard-bearer. But afterwards, from the bizarre Dark Side cover album to releases that seem all too deliberately quirky, to me they've become gimmicky and a little hollow. Wayne Coyne has so many collectible side projects that it's hard to see where the music fits in.

I haven't completely written them off but they are definitely a little tired and tiresome at this point.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”