BJM's Rick Maymi in asshole post

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

BJM's Rick Maymi in asshole post

Post by spzretent »

This is quoted word for word from the BJM message board.

This goes way beyond the narrowed focus of "psych" and leaves it in the boring old dust it belongs in, and I certainly can argue that there are less good bands from the Western world than ever before. Asteroid 4 and Tamaryn do not meet my requirements for what defines a band as being "good" I find both bands to be as disposable and forgettable as anything on x-factor. Also, they have absolutely nothing to say. I am not interested in Rain Parade copyists or "shoegaze/90's" revivalists. I am not interested in all-style and zero-substance. I don't care what kind of boots they wear or if they have an overgrown mr spock hairdo. It takes more than that, as far as I am concerned. You have to be rising up against something, as in a political, social or cultural climate. Who in the West does that anymore? Jello Biafra is the last person I can really think of. I don't want to hear about it from some rapper who demonstrated their penchant for materialism. I want to hear about it from people who live with real oppression and therefore have an inherent danger to what they do.

Ricky
BJM studio
Berlin

Wow. If these guys aren't the biggest hypocritical assholes on the psych/indie bandwagon. I spared you the utter bullshit about China. If you really want to read it go to the BJM message board.
First off I am going to admit I had a vested interest in putting out the last Asteroid No. 4 Lp. That out of the way here are my experiences with A#4 and BJM.
Asteroid No.4 were quite a big band in my t shirt/record shop. They played our belated grand opening party are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Contrast that with the total fuckheads in BJM. My experience with BJM was being threatened by them after a show in Detroit abrubtly ended with Anton getting hit in the head with a beer bottle. I did not throw the bottle BUT after Anton's rant ripping on Iggy/Stooges and then saying Detroit is just filled with ni**ers, spi*cks and jews. Also while playing the show with a swastika on his guitar(I dont really care if it was the backwards Indian symbol of power. It was there to provoke).
Then you put out a succession of really fucking lame records some even paying homage to the shoegaze/90's pastiche you supposedly despise My Bloody Underground for starters. Who Killed Sgt Pepper? Aufbehn? They all suck.
I really dont get this last post. All one really needs to do is watch Dig! Maybe you sold some records but it really shows what infantile fucking assholes you guys really are.
It really makes me wonder why the fuck I even own records by BJM. Sure they are good, easy listening but comparing those records to people who pushed the envelope like Jello? You regurgitated the 60's in a 90's way. Not exactly revelatory.
And apparently you have not grown up. At all.
Keep up the verbal social media diarrehea.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Re: BJM's Rick Maymi in asshole post

Post by Laz69 »

I think anyone from BJM throwing around insults about other bands who are "copyists" instantly makes their rant irrelevant.
Sounds like "Oh look we've not released anything for a while, lets have a dumb rant to get some attention again!"

Oh and i could easily pick out a dozen Asteroid #4 tracks that piss all over BJM's output...

:roll:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

While maybe he should be following his own advice and quite possibly his targets are wrong but, I think there's some truth in this sentence - 'You have to be rising up against something, as in a political, social or cultural climate. Who in the West does that anymore?'

I haven't heard Asteroid No.4 so maybe I should check them out.

I do agree with spzretent about BJM's recent releases, I've approached both of them with excitement, that has not been maintained once I actually played them.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

pretty much what chuck d said although i think one has more credibility than the other...

overgrown mr spock hair cut? illogical
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

just for good measure

---

Public Enemy's Flavor Flav and Chuck D have claimed that the likes of Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar don't make real hip-hop music.

Speaking to Gigwise, the pair said that there was a difference between hip-hop and rap, and also suggested that modern artists were too focused on consumerism.

"I think the element of hip-hop left when rap music started being created on a slow tempo," claimed Flavor Flav. "It's just stayed there for years. Right now, a lot of rap music today is being created at very low tempos.

"There's no more of that 'Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care' - you know, something that makes you wanna get out there and breakdance," he added. "Rap music has lost that element right now, mainly over in America. There's not too many great hip-hop records out there, but there are some great rap records. Lil Wayne is making some great rap records, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Ludacris, Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, 50 Cent, Snoop [Dogg] - everybody is making great rap records, but it's not hip-hop."

His bandmate Chuck D, meanwhile, said: "If you love hip-hop, ask yourself why. We've done it around the world for 26 years in 90 countries and we have our reasons - but we think it should be along the lines of Bob Marley, Bob Dylan and Bobby Womack. It should be able to cover all aspects. When it's just about 'I got money and you don't have money', that's just taking advantage of the naivety of people."

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Having had a decent nights sleep after my post I will say the following.
What is wrong with folks who put out decent records that people like to buy and play. They get enjoyment out of them. That is what its about right?
Asteroid No.4 do just that for me. I think most of their records fall into the great category. I was personally insulted by that comment. Not to mentioned both bands are "supposedly" friends.
I just take it as a huge insult that someone from the BJM camp actually posted this. If that aint the pot calling the kettle what is?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah don't really know where to start with this..
-when is the last time BJM stood up for anything political/social?
- they are also pretty retro sounding psych rockers themselves.
- so if someone doesn't experience 'oppression' first hand they are not allowed to make music?

he has got a small point in the fact that a lot of bands in the psych scene can be just as formulaic and transparent as a lot of pop music. true enough of any scene, you can often put together a sound/image that ticks a few boxes and fit in.
I also do agree that rap music presents as being rebellious but mostly seems to me to be about materialism and boasting.

they are many many bands who make 'non political' music that is still fantastic.
there are a lot of bands who make 'political'/rebellious music that is well intended but pretty shit. bands like Rage Against The Machine just make me laugh more than anything.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm trying to make sense of his rant.

Firstly, A#4 were (are?) on the Committee To Keep Music Evil record label. That label is owned and run by BJM keyboardist/guitarist - Rob Campanella. But, then again...I've seen BJM at each others throats on the stage so maybe there is little respect amongst each other?

Secondly, Ricky has been a touring member of BJM for several years now. BJM's live set comprises of 95% (maybe more) back catalog/shoegazey psych material. In other words, the very music he is ranting against. So, does this mean that his continued touring with the live version of BJM is simply for the pay check? If so, how does this fit his mold of "substance" or "rising up against something, as in a political, social or cultural climate".

Thirdly, unless I am wrong....does he even play on the latest BJM records (MBU up to "Aufheben")? He might do but I thought they were essentially Anton and his Icelandic and German chums. Thus, why a lot of it does not feature in the live sets. If so, then does that not support my point about touring with the band simply for the paycheck?

Nevertheless, it seems live a shallow and hollow rant to me. One that could only be made by a western capitalist.

But, that whole forum is downright odd. Like the band itself it does seem to bring out a nasty side to people. A lot of bitching, bullying and downright ugliness is very prevalent in there. I seem to remember that Ricky also posted in that forum a rather disdainful post about the Black Angels and the Austin Psych Fest. Weird considering that BJM once played and supported that festival. Not sure why he now looks down his nose at it.
Last edited by redcloud on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it's been awhile since i've been on the bjm forum, but it seems that ricky does this from time to time- usually he's taking someone to task who really doesn't deserve it while the other posters cheer him on.

i suppose he's entitled to his own opinion. it does seem odd when he's ranting specifically against people/bands that his fellow band members are collaborating with or have before. seems childish, self-righteous and hypocritical. anton is remixing the 'tender new signs' tracks for tamaryn, for example.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I just dont understand what he thought he was accomplishing. He is just making himself out to look like a complete hypocrite not to mention an asshole.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Stay free from petty jealousies live by no man's code
And hold your judgment for yourself lest you wind up on this road
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Maybe someone should mosey on over and tell him what time it is
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ORBITAL wrote:Maybe someone should mosey on over and tell him what time it is
blue touch paper.jpg
blue touch paper.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

well, i agree with him that asteroid #4 are disposable

but i think political music is awful and ages poorly and certainly BJM never approached anything remotely poltical

i dont really see why this is worth getting all offended about.. i mean does anyone even know who this guy is outside of bjm fans?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Kurious Oranj wrote:well, i agree with him that asteroid #4 are disposable

but i think political music is awful and ages poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwmIBSMzSM

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You have to be rising up against something, as in a political, social or cultural climate.
I couldn't disagree more. I have no problem with protest music or whatever you want to call it, but the idea that any art that isn't political or "standing up against something" is useless or a waste of time is unbelievably close-minded.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Kurious Oranj wrote:well, i agree with him that asteroid #4 are disposable.
Explain.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:well, i agree with him that asteroid #4 are disposable
Yep. They are no Beady Eye are they?
If you really want to know why I felt so strongly about this. I really like Asteroid No.4. As a band and more importantly as people. I thought it was a really shitty cheap shot by not only someone who is a peer of theirs but someone who is far more guilty of what he was accusing them of.
I tried signing up on their message board but was denied. So much for free speech.