"I Am What I Am" video

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

slide_song
Known user

"I Am What I Am" video

Post by slide_song »

according to twitter, there will be a video for "i am what i am" released next week.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: "I Am What I Am" video

Post by mojo filters »

Hmm...I can't see anything on the regular "official Spzd" Twitter feed - do you have a link?

This could potentially be interesting if there's a new "single" mix. Also the B side could potentially be even more interesting, eg a non-album track ... alternatively it could be a crappy cop out like the Japanese "True Love..." bonus track or an another uninspiring instrumental from SHSL :-(

Possibly the most exciting prospect is another superb video. They've really been on a roll since the Jake Chapman "You Lie You Cheat", the epic "Hey Jane" and the stylish "Little Girl".

The quality of these is worthy of some sort of proper multi-media release such as a special CD single/video combo so we can properly appreciate them in their full cinematic glory, instead of having to make do with just watching on the computer via YouTube.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks! It's reassuring to know the same folks are producing this video as made the last two 8)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

The video is located here:

https://vimeo.com/71926523
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

jesus. as soon as you see the stool...

my high school plays taft in basketball every year in the playoffs.

all three videos feel amazing to me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Happy Monday! Yowza.

Disturbing, but enjoyable.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Fucking fantastic!

I love the AG Rojas aesthetic; the androgyonous protagonist is great and the underlying sentiment bang on - nice work.

His last three videos are just superb, and none of the overreaching borderline cheap visuals that made Soul On Fire look as average as the song accompanying it.

Am curious to know if there is going to be a physical single released to go with it? I'm not surprised if not as that would be in line with current record co practice due to the diminished economic market making such unfeasabile.

Nevertheless, really good job by the Spaceman - a fitting visual tribute to a great and unique track ... if we're lucky there maybe a fourth - here's hoping 8)
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm wondering if this will coincide with a 7" release?
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Not sure about a 7" release, although I would loved to be proved wrong. On the Farrow Design website they did mention that there would be three 7" singles. They've now changed that to:

Spiritualized
Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Music Packaging

Though the album is actually entitled Sweet heart Sweet Light, the cover simply reads Huh?
Also shown here are the two seven inch singles released from the album.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

not really feeling this one as much as the prev 2, or indeed the superlative YLYC promo.
but still the image coming off the chair is p epic. it's only in relation to the prev 2/3 that it doesn't quite click w/me overall. i greatly prefer this song to Little Girl but prefer the Little Girl promo to this one.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jack white wrote:not really feeling this one as much as the prev 2, or indeed the superlative YLYC promo.
but still the image coming off the chair is p epic. it's only in relation to the prev 2/3 that it doesn't quite click w/me overall. i greatly prefer this song to Little Girl but prefer the Little Girl promo to this one.
I think taking all three as separate parts of a single body of work (such as movements in symphony) is the most enjoyable way of fully appreciating the videos.

Whilst Stop Your Crying is probably my favorite Spz video, Hey Jane runs it a close second. Also Come Together and You Lie You Cheat are both deserving of a honorable mention, however even those to me are still more like pleasing visuals that nicely compliment and accompany the respective songs. But with the AJ Rojas videos I feel like there is a clear visual narrative that both accompanies and also runs parallel to the music. I guess the widescreen cinematic nature of his style lends itself to achieving that.

I don't personally watch music video channels, but I can imagine non-Spz fans really sitting up and taking notice when amongst the dreary video output of most other musicians, suddenly the Hey Jane film comes on and grabs your attention to the point where one probably would not notice the 10min+ length of the song - to me that is one of the signs of a great music video.
Dave Chappelle
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

mojo filters wrote:
I think taking all three as separate parts of a single body of work (such as movements in symphony) is the most enjoyable way of fully appreciating the videos.
But with the AJ Rojas videos I feel like there is a clear visual narrative that both accompanies and also runs parallel to the music. I guess the widescreen cinematic nature of his style lends itself to achieving that.

that's a very good point actually. will have to set aside 20mins & experience them in one sitting.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i still haven't watched it. it's been so long since albert hall/shsl that i don't feel the need, and if i don't feel the need then what is the cusual music listener going to think? isn't it a bit late? just a thought...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”