New Heads line-up for Roadburn 2014

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

New Heads line-up for Roadburn 2014

Post by Shinesalight »

The Heads are to be the resident band at next year's Roadburn, but with John McBain replacing Paul Allen on guitar:-

http://www.roadburn.com/?p=31027
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Re: New Heads line-up for Roadburn 2014

Post by angelsighs »

cool! don't forget this bit:-

The Heads (ft. John McBain)’ residency will lead in to a collaboration with fellow psychedelic travellers Carlton Melton in a one-off Roadburn exclusive performance on Sunday April 13th at the Main Stage as well.

when do they announce the full lineup? do they just do it in dribs and drabs?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Right, that is it. I'm off to Roadburn next year..... :D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It's the week before my wedding... I can't see I'll be able to get a pass. Gutted ill miss it, but pleased of news of the return of The Heads (even without the Prof). 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Im very much having this. oh yes..oh yes and oh yes again
hazey
Known user

Post by hazey »

Heads + McBain = HOLY SHIT!!

Wont be able to attend, but already looking forward to the Live at Roadburn album.
Also Heads up Heads fans- new 2 cd Heads release soon on Cardinal Fuzz!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't make it to this but whenever if ever The Heads wanna hit Manchester I will book that.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:Can't make it to this but whenever if ever The Heads wanna hit Manchester I will book that.
After 2 northern gigs in the last 12 years you may well be waiting a while for that.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes, but I will get them a cadbury's caramel EACH
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Apart from being really gutted that I won't be able to make it for this corker of a show, I'm surprised about the lack of comments on the lack of involvement/splitting up from the Prof. Was this common knowledge or expected news? :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote:Apart from being really gutted that I won't be able to make it for this corker of a show, I'm surprised about the lack of comments on the lack of involvement/splitting up from the Prof. Was this common knowledge or expected news? :(
Been on the cards for a while. There's always been tension between the 2 guitarists, Simon and Paul. I'm absolutely gutted. Paul is one of the most incredible guitarists I know of - ridiculously underrated. Simon provides the platform for Paul to run amok all over. The noises he can get out of a guitar are beyond belief.

Having said that if you can catch Anthropropph playing with Big Naturals - and they play reasonably regularly - you are getting pretty much a Heads experience. It's that intense. They completely tore the top of my head off when they played in Leeds the night of the major blizzard. And Paul sounded like... Paul. Enough said.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Some "new" heads cd on cardinal fuzz, ltd to 50 and 100
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Some "new" heads cd on cardinal fuzz, ltd to 50 and 100
Ordered! Nice one James. I would have missed these.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:Apart from being really gutted that I won't be able to make it for this corker of a show, I'm surprised about the lack of comments on the lack of involvement/splitting up from the Prof. Was this common knowledge or expected news? :(
Been on the cards for a while. There's always been tension between the 2 guitarists, Simon and Paul. I'm absolutely gutted. Paul is one of the most incredible guitarists I know of - ridiculously underrated. Simon provides the platform for Paul to run amok all over. The noises he can get out of a guitar are beyond belief.
Aw man, that was news to me too. :( Guess it would explain the lack of any new Heads stuff in, well, ages. Unfortunate as I consider that wild, fast & loose guitar playing from Paul Allen THE vital component in their sound: ridiculously underrated and very difficult (if not impossible) to replace.
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

olan wrote:
James T wrote:Some "new" heads cd on cardinal fuzz, ltd to 50 and 100
Ordered! Nice one James. I would have missed these.
No problem! I can't afford, but oh well.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So who is going to this? I know Runcible has bought tickets. Btw Mark did you get a 3 or 4 day pass and are you camping or staying in a hotel?

Still sitting on the fence, at the moment the line up isn't looking as good to me as the past 2 or 3 years but who knows what might be added.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A 4 day pass - that was the only way to be able to see The Heads for 3 nights. Only €20 more. I am amazed tickets are still available. - when Killing Joke played a few years ago tickets sold out in 7 minutes apparently.

I haven't heard of most of the line-up if I'm honest and suspect not that much of it will be too appealing. But Sula Bassana is a great bonus and Aqua Nebula Oscilator are meant to be good. Oh, and Loop of course. The venue is fantastic - saw the Shjips and The Heads there a few years ago and it was superb.

I hate camping so we're in a hotel which is a 20 minute bus ride away.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cool. My other half has offered to get me a ticket as a Christmas present and the flight for my birthday, so just weighing it all up really!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Some pretty heavy footage from their 2000 USA tour here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2bZ7Xon ... kMk7gBle2A
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Oh dear... just announced The Heads will not be playing Roadburn after all...
It is with a heavy heart that The Heads confirm they will no longer be able to perform as Artist in Residence at this year’s Roadburn Festival.

Whilst The Heads are still actively recording and rehearsing, personal and professional issues prevent John McBain from joining The Heads live at this point. After many long conversations between original band members Simon, Hugo and Wayne it is felt that since John is unable to perform alongside them, they, as The Heads do not want to perform a show that will not fully realise their existing live legacy.

Simon Price: “This would have been our first gig for a while, to come back with John at Roadburn would have been great, a psyche meltdown. Sorry to anyone who was hoping to see us. I’m sure it will still be a really cool weekend, just gutted we can’t make it.”

Roadburn is working behind the scenes like crazy to keep the psychdelic freakflag high and will be announcing a replacement shortly.”
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is crap news, but timely. I REALLY wanted to go but was sure that I wouldn't be able to up until last week. Then things changed and I had just started planning on a trip over, I'm grateful that the news was posted as it has saved me a bunch of money and time. :( though as I haven't seen them since KoKo where they were astonishing and would love to experience them live again :cry:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, i think its only fair that its announced as early as possible as i imagine they would have been a helluva draw for Roadburn. Can't help feel a little sorry for those that had already organised a trip over. Luckily, there are still a few good bands i'd love to see (Carlton Melton, Sula Bassana, Cult Of Dom Keller, Lumerians, Kandodo, Papermoon Sessions) so i don't think its a totally lost weekend...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Wanted to check out them and old man gloom, but I couldn't afford it and old man gloom are playing london now too. I guess my problem solved itself.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I don't know what to say. That band have always had a very shambolic side but this is incredibly disappointing news.

My tickets are up for sale now. Nothing on the line up warrants a 4 day trip to Holland - I'd be better off spending a long weekend in Amsterdam. A couple of highlights on the Roadburn bill but way too much doom and stoner nonsense for me.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Has it sold out? If you like I can ask around to see if anybody wants'em?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thanks James. Yes it's sold out. I have 4 day tickets so the full thing with Afterburner party. I am only after face value...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

"With the dust now settling after the bombshell that was dropped yesterday, we would like to offer our heartfelt apologies to everyone expecting to see us perform in Tilburg this April.

Also we totally understand the frustration and anger that has been directed at us.

When John McBain pulled out due to personal issues, which we fully understand and support him on, we tried hard to find a solution.

We were still expecting to perform on Friday as kandodo and with Carlton Melton on Sunday but sadly this did not meet with Roadburns 'Artist In Residence' criteria and they decided to seek an alternative with our services no longer required.

We are absolutely devastated as this was meant to be a new and exciting chapter for The Heads but has instead left everybody deflated."
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I have had the hump about this all day. I was lining up a 4-day pass, which combined with flights etc would come out at £Lots. Much as I love Carlton Melton, there is not enough on to interest me. It was the two sets from The Heads that convinced me to go.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If I could get them to come play with Carlton Melton in Manchester I would
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I'm in the runcible camp. Fortunately I didn't splurge on another overseas trip this time so feeling thankful for that. Gutted for others who pressed the button based on The Heads being there. That sucks balls as they say.
I think I feel it coming on
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I can see they have changed the statement slightly now, amending the mention of Roadburn's organizers.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wow, bummer for all concerned. I'm glad now I went with my gut feeling that we couldn't really afford this no matter how much I wanted to go.

It does make me wonder if The Heads will ever actually play live again. I mean, do they see John McBain as the only possible replacement for Paul Allen? If that's the case there's very little chance of them doing gigs as not only do they hardly ever play but i recall an interview where McBain claimed he dislikes playing live/touring, preferring to work in the studio. It would seem very difficult to me to combine the schedules of both, plus the costs involved of flights, just for one or two shows. And here was me hoping they might turn up at Liverpool Psych Fest.

Maybe we'll at least get Kandodo.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Air fares etc... is often a problem for acts but usually overcome by getting a decent festival offer which they seem to have done this time. There's so many different festivals around now booking this kind of thing, so hopefully over the next year or 4 there will be a show or 2.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Unfortunately I haven't found any takers for this, although I did find someone selling a copy of 'Under Sided' on LP
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The annoying thing is that Ticketmaster sent out tickets via a PDF file. My 2 tickets are on 1 PDF document so I can't separate them unless I print and post them. Somewhat annoying.

Thanks for trying though JT...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'll keep at it, who knows
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I saw this and absolutely gutted for those that bought a ticket off the back of them playing (especially alongside Carlton Melton which I'm sure would have been amazing). From a selfish point of view I'm now glad that I didn't push Mrs Shines to give me a pass for this for my stag do
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sold my 2 tickets for face value. After fees and the premium I paid for cancellation insurance (how ironic that sounds now!) I'm down about £50. Which I can live with although the disappointment far outweighs the financial loss.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Here is a new thing from Simon Price's Kandodo project.

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I see Carlton Melton are now doing a gig with Dr Space at Roadburn. Much as I love CM, the only Dr Space LP that I own is very, very poor. I am personally relieved to have delayed buying tickets for Roadburn on the back of The Heads announcement. I would have a serious case of the arse if CM vs Dr Space was touted as the alternative....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:I see Carlton Melton are now doing a gig with Dr Space at Roadburn. Much as I love CM, the only Dr Space LP that I own is very, very poor. I am personally relieved to have delayed buying tickets for Roadburn on the back of The Heads announcement. I would have a serious case of the arse if CM vs Dr Space was touted as the alternative....
I see Carlton Melton are also releasing a live album, Live At The Trades on tape?!?! f#ckin` TAPE!! wtf is that about? contacted the label and their not even releasing it digitally :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:I see Carlton Melton are also releasing a live album, Live At The Trades on tape?!?! f#ckin` TAPE!! wtf is that about? contacted the label and their not even releasing it digitally :lol:
This really frustrated me when i saw this. Think i'll have to track down a cheap tape converter thing for plugging into the PC.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, the cassette-only release trend drives me nuts, too. Bitchin' Bajas are doing a triple-cassette release of live recordings from their Hideout residency last year.
Triangle Sounds
New user

Post by Triangle Sounds »

Carlton Melton tapes are ready if anyone does dig that old format... E-mail us trianglesounds@icloud.com for more info.

Peace/boogie