girls ridin' high!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

girls ridin' high!

Post by The Dr »

one of my favorite genres of music is the girl groups. there is something about female singers that is just wonderful. from the 50s innocence and cuteness 'hey who is that wearing dark glasses and drinking a milkshake? i'm going to kiss him then we'll get married!' to the gospel greats to the broken hearted chansons in the dirty streets of of gay pari(S)

there is something i deeply love about this music. below is a cd i just compiled of some of my favorites for your listening pleasure! enjoy! grab a milkshake and a box of tissues and let the rollercoaster commence...!

https://hotfile.com/dl/243231712/f0729c ... h.rar.html
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
mojo filters
Known user

Re: girls ridin' high!

Post by mojo filters »

How recent does your appreciation of this genre go - Althea & Donna, The Slits, Bananarama, L7, Hole, B*Witched, Sugababes, Spice Girls, En Vogue, Destiny's Child, Girls Aloud, or up to Little Mix, the present?

Just a-wondering! Personally I like the Phil Spector and Northern Soul end of the 60s (and a little early 70s) Motown, Stax, Atlantic and similar, with a little gospel thrown in for good measure.

Don't think I've got much in way of individual artists' albums though. I do have quite a few compilations with that sort of stuff - everything from specific label compilations to film soundtracks, which seems to adequately suit my requirements. For some reason I never saw the need to seek out individual artists' albums - maybe just because my taste here is pretty mainstream; I guess most of what I like in this genre is pretty well-known, popular stuff.

I tend to think the broad variety of styles encompassed by the term girl groups is so wide, folks are more likely to be fans of more specific sub-genres within this broad church.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mojo filters wrote:How recent does your appreciation of this genre go - Althea & Donna, The Slits, Bananarama, L7, Hole, B*Witched, Sugababes, Spice Girls, En Vogue, Destiny's Child, Girls Aloud, or up to Little Mix, the present?

Just a-wondering! Personally I like the Phil Spector and Northern Soul end of the 60s (and a little early 70s) Motown, Stax, Atlantic and similar, with a little gospel thrown in for good measure.

Don't think I've got much in way of individual artists' albums though. I do have quite a few compilations with that sort of stuff - everything from specific label compilations to film soundtracks, which seems to adequately suit my requirements. For some reason I never saw the need to seek out individual artists' albums - maybe just because my taste here is pretty mainstream; I guess most of what I like in this genre is pretty well-known, popular stuff.

I tend to think the broad variety of styles encompassed by the term girl groups is so wide, folks are more likely to be fans of more specific sub-genres within this broad church.
o sure, same way the blues has a billion sub-headings and so forth. it's just generic term. some of the tracks are solo. the latest was either last year or the year before and the earliest, probably, in the 1940s. either way it is just good stuff :wink:

there are many that i've left out- this is the 4th such cd i've made- and there is many more to discover. i like the spice girls and i like a couple of sugababes songs but as far as 'recent' recent i couldn't tell you as my tastes have gone more the way of classical music in the last 5 odd years. now there are some great female singers!

would i put jane birkin in the same category as the cordettes? yes of course for i like both artists and i couldn't tell you if it is do-wop or jungle. i really do not know the names of music types. classical comes from the ancient greek for 'chosen' so rachmaninov would be classed with mozart, although they are no way similiar in body or thought, as classical- which i guess these days just means 'old' :lol: :lol:

Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Thanks this is great!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the band Teen and their album last year In Limbo.
I'm not usually one for girl bands or big on female singers, but that album has me going back and listening to it again pretty often.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

GIRLS

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Dr wrote:
mojo filters wrote:How recent does your appreciation of this genre go - Althea & Donna, The Slits, Bananarama, L7, Hole, B*Witched, Sugababes, Spice Girls, En Vogue, Destiny's Child, Girls Aloud, or up to Little Mix, the present?

o sure, same way the blues has a billion sub-headings and so forth. it's just generic term. some of the tracks are solo. the latest was either last year or the year before and the earliest, probably, in the 1940s. either way it is just good stuff :wink:

would i put jane birkin in the same category as the cordettes? yes of course for i like both artists and i couldn't tell you if it is do-wop or jungle. i really do not know the names of music types. classical comes from the ancient greek for 'chosen' so rachmaninov would be classed with mozart, although they are no way similiar in body or thought, as classical- which i guess these days just means 'old'...
Yeah I'd agree with most of that, except I would say that Hole are more a rock thing and I'd consider Slits closer to reggae than anything else. Anyway, it's just genres and these labels are ultimately pretty useless.
In the kind of music you're discussing I think Phil Spector's work in this domain is pretty much peerless, not only as 'girl group' stuff, but as rock 'n' roll and indeed in music full stop.
As far as other examples (or not) of this stuff you could throw in the Paris Sisters, Karen Verros, Tammy Wynette, The Crystals and up to Natalie Kills, The Pierces, Luciana, Alliyah and Amerie. What about Rachel Stevens? Those singles she did a few years back were awesome, like the absolute best pop music. Whether some of this is just 'girl singers' to 'girl groups'... probably.

Anyway Dr, downloaded your comp, looks interesting - Desertshore? Now yer talkin...

Lastly, as far as the classic girl group sound goes, this is one of my all-time favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceHIL_-ZAI
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

and then there's the punk bands.

this blog has an amazing compilation available for download!

http://kangnave.blogspot.fr/2013/05/a-r ... -rock.html
This is a pretty insane project put together by my pal Vince B. from San Francisco a few years back. As the title indicates, this is a homemade 12 x CD-R (!) compilation of punk bands fronted by female vocalists from 1977 to 1989. More like a giant mixtape than a compilation, as he only made 36 copies which he sent to friends and people who submitted material. You may notice that some of the bands didn’t have a steady female vocalist (The Lewd, etc.) but he still included songs that were sung by another member of the band. This is as international as it gets, with stuff ranging from world famous Blondie or Crass to the most obscure Eastern European cassette compilation veterans. The boxset came packaged in a handnumbered fancy translucent lunchbox enclosing all 12 CD-Rs, a stack of full-colored cards featuring comprehensive tracklist and artwork/info, as well as a manga pin-up figure! Talk about a labor of love.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »