Hotline Miami soundtrack

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

heisenberg
Known user

Hotline Miami soundtrack

Post by heisenberg »

I don't know if anyone here plays much video games. I dabble now and then. I thought the soundtrack to the game Hotline Miami might be of interest to some here, as it contains contributions from Sun Araw. The soundtrack is fantastic. The game has a strong 80s Miami theme, and is heavily influenced by the film Drive. The game itself is a very old skool 1980s type game- top-down beat-'em-up style, very simplistic in gameplay and controls, yet hugely addictive. I found the whole package very trippy and enjoyable with its Commodore/ZX Spectrum style graphics and that fantastic soundtrack.

I have posted a link to the developer's soundcloud where they have posted the whole soundtrack (the tracks in question are at the very bottom) should anyone be interested.

http://m.soundcloud.com/devolverdigital
jack white
Known user

Re: Hotline Miami soundtrack

Post by jack white »

superb game.

u got the new gta yet?
needless to say soundtrack is p neat on there. don't know if it's quite as great as some of the others in the series but it's more contemporary, in keeping w/the game world.
Thee Oh Sees, Moon Duo, Black Angels, Ty Seagall, Django Django all make an appearance.

but the rebel rock station, w/the dancing outlaw jesco white as the dj, is prob my favourite: two waylon jennings, charlie feathers hasil adkins... so sweet.
bootsy collins & lee scratch perry are also dj's & their channels are great too. as is flying lotus' one.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

hotline miami is pretty dope. rarely play video games, but this was super cool.

whenever I used to play gta at friend's houses back in middle school and the beginning of high school, I would just end up driving round because I didn't like doing all the 'cool stuff' it would just stress me out too much cause the cops would always chase me and then get me. driving and listening to the radio was more fun. sounds like w gta v the same might be true for me
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I like the new GTA. Way better than GTA4, which I tried and failed to get into on several occasions.

My favourite is still Vice City. Now that was an amazing soundtrack.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea way better than 4. it's just so funny. everything about it is so much better than 4. the entire mood & accuracy of the satire nevermind the gameplay & engine & physics make it one of the standout entries in the series. but it's the humour that really elevates it for me. sometimes it pisses me off but 5 mins later something funny has happened to make me forgive it. the writers did a great job i think.

& yea vice city is still the pinnacle for soundtracks.
the track listing for the new one is good tho & i thought a lot of the modern tracks were quite interesting. maybe it's true to life over there but i didn't expect to hear a lot of today's psych/garage acts. it was a nice surprise. & i thought it was quite reflective of this place too, you could post some of the stuff on here as a mixtape & it'd be right at home.
gonna burn brightly
for a while