Dean Wareham Album Stream

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

Dean Wareham Album Stream

Post by clewsr »

New album from Dean Wareham is streaming on Spin.com. The 10" vinyl has just gone on sale at Sonic Cathedral, - purchase made, its sounding good.

There's also a show in Manchester in December which is tempting.

http://www.spin.com/articles/galaxie-50 ... um-stream/
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Dean Wareham Album Stream

Post by TheWarmth »

I wasn't originally thrilled with the single, but now that I've listened to the whole EP, I'm pretty psyched for it. I just wish it was a full-length. I can't really understand why you'd enter the studio and record only 7 songs instead of 10 to 12. Also, I think I heard that Britta is going to put out a solo release in the near future, too.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:I wasn't originally thrilled with the single, but now that I've listened to the whole EP, I'm pretty psyched for it. I just wish it was a full-length. I can't really understand why you'd enter the studio and record only 7 songs instead of 10 to 12. Also, I think I heard that Britta is going to put out a solo release in the near future, too.
I've ordered the 10" so I'm not listening to streams. The policy here is strictly to wait for the vinyl to show up.

I expect that he did go into the studio and record 10-15 songs. I imagine there will be another 10" along in the near future and then some time next year a CD with all tracks from both EPs and a couple of bonus tracks.

But maybe I'm just a cynic and he won't try to maximise revenue.....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I had a chance to give this a good listen this morning. Overall, a pretty strong release, but I still don't understand why he didn't wait until he had an album's worth of material to put something out. There are five excellent songs on here and two absolute throwaways in "Air" (Incredible String Band cover) and "The Longest Bridges In The World". Actually, I had a pretty strong dislike for "Bridges" on first listen and I doubt my opinion will change over time. Also, I'm slightly disappointed that my vinyl copy is black, rather than orange. Apparently, only the U.K. Sonic Catherdral version is orange. Not a huge deal. I can't complain since the U.S. got the colored version of the Black Hearted Brother LP and the UK got black.

Also, Dean's website says, "Orders from this site will also receive a bonus digital track unavailable elsewhere -- a demo of Love Is Colder Than Death." I never got a link for the demo and it didn't come with my download link for the EP. Did anyone else get it?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ok, so there IS a full-length DW album coming next year. Awesome news!!!

Finally ready with next year's full-length solo album, 9 songs, produced by Jim James of My Morning Jacket, recorded at Jim's place in Louisville. Release date March 11 on Double Feature in the USA and Sonic Cathedral in Europe
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

TheWarmth wrote:Ok, so there IS a full-length DW album coming next year. Awesome news!!!

Finally ready with next year's full-length solo album, 9 songs, produced by Jim James of My Morning Jacket, recorded at Jim's place in Louisville. Release date March 11 on Double Feature in the USA and Sonic Cathedral in Europe
Excellent news. Really liking the mini album. I think my favourite track is emancipated hearts, buts its so familiar, I'm sure there's a slipstream track the the exact same guitar riff on it.
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Sounds good to me.
Like the ISB cover.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

His site made it sound like the bobus was with the digital version, but I may be wrong
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Excellent single from Dean's new album! Check it out.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/01/l ... g-pattern/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

excellent track, bring on the album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There's a video for the song, "The Dancer Disappears", off of the new LP on Dean's website now. Another fanastic song. Can't wait for this record to come out next month.

http://deanwareham.com/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

This is on pre-order as Resident records complete with a bonus live disk from St Pancras Church.

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=28966
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I noticed that too Clewsr. It looks like you can buy the limited yellow vinyl of this on the Sonic Cathedral website but you can only get the bonus live CD from the indie record stores. I've just messaged Sonic Cathedral to see if there is a way of getting the yellow vinyl AND the bonus CD.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got a 4 track live bonus EP as a download when I preordered the album from Dean's website. If anyone in the UK doesn't have any luck getting the cd version, let me know and I can help you out.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

got this in the post yesterday, enjoying it. Sadly no bonus disk included, but Resident are quickly rectifying that.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This record is wonderful! I really love it. Best thing Dean has done since the last Luna album and, IMO, far superior to any of the Dean & Britta releases. Recommended!!!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Gotta agree that this is a fantastic album, played it 3 times in a row last night - wonderful stuff! Get's better with each listen. Looking forward to hearing Britta's solo album when it's finished.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The production on this record is incredible. Major props to Jim James. I'm not a My Morning Jacket fan, but he obviously has good ears and knows his way around the studio. This is already one of my favorite records of 2014 so far.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've just finished listening to this for the first time having picked up the LP (translucent gold vinyl 8) ) today. I'm really impressed with the sparseness of the arrangements. There is a simplicity and sense of space around each of the tracks that really works very well. In particular, the bass guitar and drums are beautifully recorded. The record feels as if it is a live room recording and really benefits from being without the usual layers of effects, overdubs and fussy production. Kudos to Sonic Cathedral for making the album available for download from Bandcamp too!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I picked this up last week but, due to the fact that my amp has gone in to be repaired, I still haven't had a chance to listen to it. All the positive vibes on here bode well though and only make me want to hear it even more.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Loving this album. Didn't get the bonus stuff with mine though, and I'm sure the LP was just black. At work now so can't check.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Also, what the hell happened to the Penthouse reissue???
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm anxiously awaiting the Penthouse LP reissue, too. I'm going to see Dean on April 11th, so perhaps I will have the opportunity to ask him or Britta about it.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

thought you guys might be interested in this

http://www.fullofwishes.co.uk/2014/04/0 ... eham-solo/

small collection of dean solo tracks unrelated to this album
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Live flac download available from Dean from a show that the Bowery a few days ago. Pretty much spans hs whole catalog.
http://www.deanandbritta.com/blog/