Black Submarine - New Shores LP Pre-Order

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Black Submarine - New Shores LP Pre-Order

Post by TheWarmth »

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/blacksubmarine

I'm still excited to hear this record, but I gotta say ... fucking $63 for the vinyl version is really pushing it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Black Submarine - New Shores LP Pre-Order

Post by TheWarmth »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0-Uw#t=401

Yeah, this is really cool. Fantastic synth bass. Creepy vibe. Dig it.
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

This is great. You're spot on with the creepy vibe, I have high hopes for the album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sorry to say that song does nothing for me :(
hope it's not representative of the whole album
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

i quite like it, Rossi's violins really lift the 'chorus', however i think i prefer the version i heard a couple of years ago but it would appear that this is some sort of intro to the album....some of the other tunes ive heard are quite different.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I think £35 for the vinyl is too steep for me to stick a toe in with this. I know it's signed, super limited and it's a new project and all that but I reckon I'll sit back and wait and see if they release a standard LP at a more affordable price.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another new song along with the band talking a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWCMNhyo-RE

again, the song doesn't do much for me. guess I am going to give this a miss.

also, a bit of trivia, I just saw via twitter that Spiritualized have signed to the same management company as Black Submarine- 'Various Artists Management'.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, they're talking throughout the entire video. I personally can't judge the music based on this video, but I'm certainly still excited for the album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:Well, they're talking throughout the entire video. I personally can't judge the music based on this video, but I'm certainly still excited for the album.
yeah you've got a good point there. I will still check the album. even if it's just got flashes of what I am looking for it will be worth it. I would also definitely go and see them if they play in my area. I like the idea of integrating a violin player into the lineup too.
the band are answering a Q & A on facebook, including loads of Verve trivia! one of those moments that actually make me wish I was on facebook!! got so many geeky questions to ask
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I got my question answered within about 5 minutes last night, very honest approach form Nick (a hero of mine of that there is no doubt). I'm liking the music from what I have heard thus far and have secured my Manchester ticket for Feb, can't wait thats for sure.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh yeah, just saw that, nice one! :)
I was at the Blackpool gigs as well. they did have surprisingly wide ranging setlists compared to the later stadium gigs. I had a ticket to Manchester as well but I didn't bother- guess it was for the for best. they played really well at the Blackpool gigs but Nick's guitar was just wayy too quiet!!

McCabe seems quite open with his answers, and he doesn't stick the knife into Richard even though he could have every right to.
some other tidbits are:-

- Ashcroft has blanked all contact from the others, so they have kind of given up. he was invited to contribute to Black Submarine, and also Nick offered to produce an acoustic based album for him. no answer.
-deluxe ASIH and ANS on the way
-other possible archive releases including a live compilation. but they require sign off from all members.
- I've got the opening chord to Starsail right :)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Nick McCabe and Si Jones seem like really decent guys. Absolutely no snobbery about answering the sort of fanboy questions you can imagine most musicians would refuse to entertain. Class act.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I am one who was initially let down by the Black Submarine stuff, but I've come around and really like a lot of it.

It's been so long that each and every ephemeral release has faced impossible expectations, like it was at last the moment that McCabe and Jones would shake off the yoke of Ashcroft and give us another three Gravity Graves. Each song that's dribbled out has inevitably disappointed.

But when the new "single" came out I put it in a playlist I'd started a long time ago of everything they've released in chronological order and put it on in the background, and found myself enjoying a lot more than I remembered. Some of it is too gothy for my taste, and McCabe and Jones seem to have moved definitively from being centered on blissful grooves (as has J. Spaceman from LGM), but like Verve it has a lot of subtle mastery that emerges over time with repeated listens.

Which isn't to say I expect consistent genius on the level of Storm In Heaven, but that they've demonstrated they've still got something intriguing. Black Submarine is essentially a side project, like Ashcroft's solo career, and it's unrealistic to expect new a flood of new opuses to put the old favorites to shame. But just like each Ashcroft LP has had a handful of solid tracks to add to the canon, and a pile of interesting also-rans, the new album will probably manage 3 or 4 little gems and some other stuff that fans will appreciate. That's worth supporting, I think.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They posted a new track today on Soundcloud, "Move Me A Mountain". Link below.

Geez, this is WAY different from "Black Submarine" and everything else they've released up until now. Not what I was expecting at all, but, man ... really fucking good. Very Nick Drake. Beautiful!

https://soundcloud.com/#blacksubmarine- ... -move-me-a
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

So then....anyone?

I've had a cheeky d/l for couple of weeks but received my deluxe edition today....it's really grown on me and I'm loving the 3 extra trax recorded when Charley Bickers was doing some vox for them.....to these ears was surprised at the overall sound, not at all Verve like.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They kindly provided LP buyers with a download link, so I'm going to grab it tonight and give it a listen tomorrow morning. Will report back.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

So far I like it. Nice production (shame Si Jones is low in the mix though), really relaxing vibe but a good few jams to enjoy too. McCabe fingerpicking an acoustic is a rare but welcome treat. That acoustic song kind of reminds me of Faust arp on In Rainbows, though I prefer BS's song over Radiohead's.

I wish Amelia sang more than the guy (Davide?). The vocals/lyrics on the title track don't do it for me, but the music is good. A few instances of that over the record, but not enough to put be off any track.

Overall, I like it. As with most McCabe music, hopefully it will reveal more over time. At the very least, I'm enjoying it more than any solo Ashcroft, which admittedly is not saying too much.

The album's been getting average reviews. Perhaps an acquired taste, but one that I do happen to enjoy and would recommend a listen to.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

heisenberg wrote: The album's been getting average reviews. Perhaps an acquired taste, but one that I do happen to enjoy and would recommend a listen to.
yes its definately understated (and a grower), possibly a bit too polished, could do with some more dynamics and grit in there....which is probs why the reviews arent quite so glowing...did you get the 'deluxe' edition with the 3 extra tracks?... i'm enjoying these alot , i like Charley Bickers vox.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Only managed to listen to it once last night. Initial impression was that it was a bit bland/average. Didn't blow me away at all. Maybe it will grow on me?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Nick McCabe feature from The Quietus
http://thequietus.com/articles/14709-ni ... ite-albums
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

So far, I am a bit disappointed. The second half of the album is way too adult contemporary for me. Lyrically, it's weak throughout. I thought Amelia was supposed to be the lead singer, but it seems like Davide takes the lead on more songs than she does. McCabe is in fine form, but the songs are, as someone else mentioned, too frequently quite bland. There are a few tracks that remind me way too much of Coldplay ("Everything That Happened To Me Is You", for example). I'll keep listening, but I don't expect this to last long in my heavy rotation pile.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

These reactions are not making me want to get hold of this album, which I was tempted to do previously. I've heard a few clips which were Ok but nothing more. Are they good live?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Awesome live and it was only their second gig. But to be honest anything Mccabe does tends to get me everytime, plus I was stood pretty much next to him during the gig. One of my fave gigs for a good while though
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:Nick McCabe feature from The Quietus
http://thequietus.com/articles/14709-ni ... ite-albums
nice article- any fan of Joy Division and The Chameleons is a friend of mine!
don't know why the writer has to have a dig at Richard Ashcroft in the intro though. if McCabe is too gracious to get the knife in, don't know why he has to.

I have to say, the bits of the album I've heard haven't excited me that much. someone above says adult contemporary but the word I would use it TripHop. rolling beats, atmospheric feel, siren-like vocals..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:I have to say, the bits of the album I've heard haven't excited me that much. someone above says adult contemporary but the word I would use it TripHop. rolling beats, atmospheric feel, siren-like vocals..
Triphop? Christ - you guys are really selling this to me. Doesn't sound good at all!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I have to say, the bits of the album I've heard haven't excited me that much. someone above says adult contemporary but the word I would use it TripHop. rolling beats, atmospheric feel, siren-like vocals..
Triphop? Christ - you guys are really selling this to me. Doesn't sound good at all!
Lols trip hop is not a phrase I would use in describing this album....a bit school of seven bells, a bit cocteaus, a bit latter day slowdive even. Very understated but benefits from repeated listens ...play it loud yeh
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Definitely not trip hop.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, just ignore me... I've only listened to snippets :)
I will give it a proper listen when I can
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

have bought this out of loyalty to the excellent musicians involved, it's early days but have to say it's still not floating my boat. I stick by my trip-hop comment for some of the elements here (the first 3 tracks sound like Massive Attack offcuts). it's a pretty good album with some great moments, but nothing that sticks out or blows me away. McCabe is quite low in the mix, he doesn't really seem to play riffs any more, he seems to have settled into a role as 'colourist' who just makes atmospheric noises in the background, sounds like much of Forth in that respect. the album mainly seems driven by the rhythm section.
I know they are very different types of music, but in terms of overall quality this is no different from, say, the first Ashcroft solo album. flashes of the old magic but missing the other half of the equation.
now, live, it may be a different matter.. still looking forward to that.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A lot of people have said that they really like the production on this record, but to my ears it sounds digital and a little cold. The production on the Dean Wareham album blows this out of the water, which is certainly not something I would have predicted ahead of these releases. I really wanted to love the Black Submarine album, especially given that I dropped $60 or so for the limited edition vinyl (which annoyingly still has not arrived ... I paid for it in October of 2013), but aside from a few choice tracks, I can't say I'm thrilled with it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Hmmm, first listen, after the first two songs (which are great) it does get a bit dull. probably sound nice played really loud but I started skipping songs after track 7 (always a bad sign)
McCabe sounds great as one would expect but as rightly pointed out, he is glue holding the songs together rather than being the pivital guitar hero we want him to be.
6/10 so far, but will give it some more goes.
Live however I thought they were great, so looking forward to their suport slot with The Bunnymen
Talking of the Bunnymen, heard one of their new tunes yesterday. I wasnt expecting greatness, and I didnt get it either.
Dull
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I heard the new Bunnymen song too.. I like that the band are still making new music, but it should be in the dictionary under 'mediocre' :)

with Black Submarine weirdly I still prefer the first song on that EP they did to anything on the album.. also I really liked that jam called 'Black Ships on Auto' they released wayyy back when the first got together. it was a bit less structured but still had some of the Verve magic.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

My vinyl copy arrived this afternoon, it sounds better than the flac-download. And I must say, this one is growing on me. Even though it's quite poppy, and there's absolutely no McCabe ASIH guitar magic on it whatsoever, I'm enjoying it more and more with every play.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

October tour. tickets are 20 quid :shock:

Thu October 02 2014 - BRIGHTON Komedia
Fri October 03 2014 - MANCHESTER Ruby Lounge
Sat October 04 2014 - LEEDS Cockpit
Mon October 06 2014 - LIVERPOOL Kazimier
Tue October 07 2014 - PRESTON 53 Degrees
Wed October 08 2014 - EDINBURGH Electric Circus
Thu October 09 2014 - GLASGOW Stereo
Sun October 12 2014 - BRISTOL Fleece
Tue October 14 2014 - BIRMINGHAM Institute Temple
Wed October 15 2014 - NOTTINGHAM Rescue Rooms
Thu October 16 2014 - LONDON Islington Assembly Hall
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I really like the album too, perhaps the album from 2014 I've played most this year. Flawed, but I like it a lot.

Granted, there are a few clunkers on there, some of the lyrics can grate, and I'd prefer it if Amelia sang all the songs (wonderful voice and songwriting on her tracks). I agree I'd like more McCabe guitar and that the bass is slightly too low in the mix for my liking (unless you're listening at high volume). Heavy Day might be my favourite, vocals are goosebump inducing as the song climaxes. Again, this song has nearly no McCabe guitar, so I can see why some might grumble.

I think this album deserves a few more props then it's been given so far.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

well its expensive but i'll fork out for the Rescue Rooms date...
heisenberg wrote:I really like the album too, perhaps the album from 2014 I've played most this year. Flawed, but I like it a lot.

Granted, there are a few clunkers on there, some of the lyrics can grate, and I'd prefer it if Amelia sang all the songs (wonderful voice and songwriting on her tracks). I agree I'd like more McCabe guitar and that the bass is slightly too low in the mix for my liking (unless you're listening at high volume). Heavy Day might be my favourite, vocals are goosebump inducing as the song climaxes. Again, this song has nearly no McCabe guitar, so I can see why some might grumble.

I think this album deserves a few more props then it's been given so far.
^ agree with this...i think Black Submarine and Hear So Rain is an excellent way to open the album and the deluxe version has a great tune called Just a Second Away which shouldve been on the album proper IMO. i'm hoping the McCabe ness will increase live.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it does seem very expensive to me, for a band at their level. I will see how they are on the Bunnymen support and go from there.