New Mogwai LP: Rave Tapes out in January

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New Mogwai LP: Rave Tapes out in January

Post by TheWarmth »

sunray
Known user

Re: New Mogwai LP: Rave Tapes out in January

Post by sunray »

Nice one. :D

No Irish date though. :(
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Free listen to one tune.

http://www.nme.com/news/mogwai/73475?ut ... ign=mogwai

Very... um... Krauty...

Sounds good.

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From Mogwai's website:

We're pleased to finally be able to share the details of our new studio album with you. It's called Rave Tapes and is scheduled for release on 20th January via our own Rock Action Records label for the UK & EU, Sub Pop in North America, Hostess in Japan and Spunk Records in Australia.

Rave Tapes was recorded in our Castle of Doom studio in Glasgow this year and was produced by Paul Savage with whom we've worked on the Mogwai Young Team and Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will records.

The album will be available on CD, LP, Digital and Ltd edition box set (featuring the LP itself, an exclusive 12", a book of studio photography by iconic photographer Steve Gullick shot during the recording sessions, 3 x 12" x 12" art prints, a 7" and a CD version of the album).

The tracklist is as follows:

1. Heard About You Last night

2. Simon Ferocious

3. Remurdered

4. Hexon Bogon

5. Repelish

6. Master Card

7. Deesh

8. Blues Hour

9. No Medicine For Regret

10. The Lord Is Out Of Control

I also saw on Piccadilly's site that there will be a vinyl version with bonus 7" exclusively for independent shops.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There's a pretty awesome vinyl boxset available, too.

http://mogwai.sandbaghq.com/music/rave- ... x-set.html

The box set will include:
Heavy pressed LP
Exclusive heavy pressed 12" 2 track single
Heavy pressed 7" single
Book of studio photography by Steve Gullick taken during the recording of the album
Set of 3 12"x12" artwork prints
CD version of the album

Due to the value of this item it will be shipped via courier

Track listing:
1. Heard About You Last Night
2. Simon Ferocious
3. Remurdered
4. Hexon Bogon
5. Repelish
6. Master Card
7. Deesh
8. Blues Hour
9. No Medicine For Regret
10. The Lord Is Out Of Control
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

TheWarmth wrote:There's a pretty awesome vinyl boxset available, too.
Yeah, I'm going through that whole shall I - shan't I with this. Looks brilliant but £60 is a bit steep just after Christmas and with an imminent house move/renovation to deal with.

Talking of Mogwai box sets though, I'm still trying to get hold of the Special Moves vinyl and wondered if Mogwai would have any up for grabs at their ATP headline show?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

As a sad git with OCD about collecting things :roll:, I made sure to lighten my wallet by the cost of the box set the minute I found out about it. Am hoping there will be decent Merch at the ATP thing though. The last couple of Mogwai gigs I've been to have been at the back end of tours and it was slim pickings at the stall.....
Last edited by olan on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Rave Tapes

Post by BzaInSpace »

As per usual some entertaining album and track titles from Mogwai...
sunray wrote:2. Simon Ferocious
Bonus points for anybody spotting the reference to Freddie Mercury and Sid Vicious!

As far as box sets go these days, unless there's a wealth of unreleased material included I have no interest whatsoever in the ephemeral stuff - "art prints", posters, space consuming packaging etc.

Gotta give some credit to Mogwai though for their sheer prolificness though. Their discography is pretty epic now.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

agreed on both counts. if boxsets have extra actual music (even just demos) I'm up for it. t shirt, keychain, kitchen sink- excites me less.
Mogwai have a pretty fine work ethic it seems. doesn't seem that long since the last album.

I wasn't blown away by Remurdered but that was only on first listen. signs seem to point to this album having more of an electronic feel.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I really like "Remurdered"! Awesome stuff. I really want to see the book of photos. That's kind of a draw for me. I like see photos of bands in the studio and stuff like that. The boxset also includes a bonus 12" and 7", so I'm assuming those will have exclusive tracks.

Also, I totally agree about Mogwai's work ethic and impressive discography. They never seem to take a break.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mogwai to play this years Other Voices in Dingle. I won't be attempting to get tickets as i've a couple of other gigs on that weekend. Not that i'd manage to get any anyway.

Hopefully someone will rip the live stream.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Clinic supporting in London. Mugstar in Manchester. 8) You lucky, lucky people.

Still no Irish date. Odd, as they're regular visitors to these shores. Last time they played their own gig here we were supposed to get Factory Floor as support, instead we got some incredibly boring acoustic strummer. :evil: :(
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they seem to have picked great supports for all of the dates!
love it when a band actually pays attention to detail to that.
Zenchan
Known user

Re: Rave Tapes

Post by Zenchan »

BzaInSpace wrote:As per usual some entertaining album and track titles from Mogwai...
sunray wrote:2. Simon Ferocious
Bonus points for anybody spotting the reference to Freddie Mercury and Sid Vicious!
:D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sub Pop is doing a sale until Monday, Dec. 6th. 20% off any order over $20 or more. I was able to order the Rave Tapes LP boxset for $73 including UPS 3 day shipping. Good deal! It would have cost me $100 otherwise. Really excited for this.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Also, here's a new video for "The Lord Is Out Of Control" from Rave Tapes:

http://pitchfork.com/news/53183-video-m ... f-control/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think I like The Lord is Out Of Control better than Remurdered, even though on the surface it's the less substantial track. it's kind of a more ambient and atmospheric piece that shows influence from their soundtrack work.

details of the Rave Tapes box set has been released. it's quite the package including some extra tracks on vinyl and also a cassette?!

http://mogwai.co.uk/news/1854/rave_tape ... et_details
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

finally finished my christmas shopping so pre-ordering the vinyl version is my reward.

i wish i could afford to spring for the box set- i normally never entertain the notion, but that is a generous set for the money.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:I think I like The Lord is Out Of Control better than Remurdered, even though on the surface it's the less substantial track. it's kind of a more ambient and atmospheric piece that shows influence from their soundtrack work.

details of the Rave Tapes box set has been released. it's quite the package including some extra tracks on vinyl and also a cassette?!

http://mogwai.co.uk/news/1854/rave_tape ... et_details
I had a brief moment of panic as I remembered shelling out ££££ for a boxset and OCD Olan would have insisted on buying a better one. Luckily it turns out I get the cassette and all the other useless shite :D as a bonus to what I ordered.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Rave Tapes is now floating about the ether if one was so inclined to grab themselves a listen.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Anyone listened? I grabbed it but haven't bothered yet after being really bored by the ATP set...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm waiting for my vinyl copy to arrive. Really dig both tracks they've officially released so far, though.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James T wrote:Anyone listened? I grabbed it but haven't bothered yet after being really bored by the ATP set...
Bored?! :shock: They were the best thing at ATP by a long shot and they certainly showed Loop a thing or 2 about how to perform a headline set and taught them what loud actually means.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting the lovely looking box set. We're moving house this Friday and then I've got a leg operation mid Jan so got quite a bit of time off work unpaid...money's going to be tight. Can I really justify spending £60 on one album? :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well I don't argue that maybe Loop shouldn't be a headliner, but then again I only really considered Mogwai the headliner that weekend anyway. I am not surprised they were the loudest either, as Barry told me they had double the PA that Loop had! I guess they brought in some of their own. I think every band was loud on the last day, don't you? Michael Rother was really loud as well as Mogwai. Unfortunately, my ears haven't stopped ringing since that weekend, I think I may have caused some damage.

I have seen Mogwai maybe 20 times and it was one of the least interesting (the worst begin Manchester on the Hardcore tour).

I don't mind them drawing heavy on their soon-to-be-released album, but I don't think it was right for the last night of a messy weekend. I did see them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall before The Hawk Is Howling play almost all of that and I loved it (but then I didn't really like the album once it came out). Saw them at Hoxton Bar & Kitchen also just before Hardcore came out and loved it. Kinda got bored of that album because I played it way too much at the time.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I found the Mogwai set anything boring, but horses for courses hey! the only time they have been boring is when I saw them on the Mr Beast tour- quite lacklustre.
I don't think they drew that much from the new album- just 4 songs or so? I like it when a band shows confidence in their new material anyway. and we got enough of the classics too.

not being a vinyl man I don't have the dilemma of buying this super deluxe bells & whistles thing, but I do hope some good soul will be able to sort me out with the extra tracks ;)
the cassette is a bit strange- the hipsters have won! although I guess it fits in with the 'Rave Tapes' theme so I'll let them off.
James T wrote:Unfortunately, my ears haven't stopped ringing since that weekend, I think I may have caused some damage.
sorry to hear this, tinnitus is no joke. I get concerned if the ringing doesn't go away after a couple of days, but luckily it always does.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Standard procedure here is to ignore the existence of leaks/streams/downloads of new LPs and wait for the vinyl to arrive. With Rave Tapes I have heard a couple of the tracks on 6 Music and obviously the new tunes played at ATP (there was a long slow tune with vocals that did not do much for me that night). None of it has really made much impression on me yet. I have to say I thought Mogwai were excellent at ATP, rising to the challenge set them by Goat who were simply magnificent at times.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't really mind getting a leak, the only albums I'm bothered enough to get a leak for I buy anyway. Journos heard it, other people heard it, I may as well. Still not put it on though, and probably won't before the LP in fairness the way it is going!

I loved the Mr Beast tour, thought the sets were stellar! Saw them many many times between that and the next album.

The ringing isn't as bad now, but I didn't give them a rest afterwards and had music on really loud on headphones for days after. My own fault really, pretty stupid. Lost the headphones now so they have no choice but to rest!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I loved the show I saw on the Mr. Beast tour, too. The Hawk Is Howling gig was pretty dull, though. I recall the whole set being really slow and plodding. I think that's the last time I saw them. Hopefully they'll be back on form when they come through for Rave Tapes.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I didn't see any of the main tour for Hawk, just the one preview show leading up to release. I was meant to go to the Manchester show but there was a bit of trouble that evening that prevented me going. I know they played xmas steps at the show and I've never seen that one!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:I loved the show I saw on the Mr. Beast tour, too. The Hawk Is Howling gig was pretty dull, though. I recall the whole set being really slow and plodding. I think that's the last time I saw them. Hopefully they'll be back on form when they come through for Rave Tapes.
the 'mr. beast' tour was the last time i saw them and i remember that show as being very excellent. they played for a long time but it was over in the blink of an eye it seemed- plus they played almost everything from the new album mixed with tons of great old ones (and good, challenging choices). the only other time i'd seen them that was better was the first time i saw them, which was on the 'rock action' tour (they actually came to play in lawrence, ks- it was amazing!).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

because the band change up their setlists somewhat, I guess it's kind of misleading to make generalisations about tours.
the Mr Beast show I saw was mediocre but hardly bad. they started with Superheroes of BMX, one of my least favourite Mogwai tracks, so it didn't start well for me. and it was in the main stage at the Minehead ATP which can lack atmosphere.

as far as I've seen, the album seems to be getting good reviews across the board. apparently one track has a sample of dialogue talking about satanic messages in Stairway to Heaven!
there's also a feature in the new Uncut mag where the band talk about their back catalogue. pretty interesting. seems like me they are not that keen on either Mr Beast (too polished) or Rock Action
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I knew they were not keen on Rock Action (that's my favourite) but it's news to me about Mr Beast. I liked that a lot too!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Still managed to (intentionally or otherwise, I can't decide) avoid listening to this so far. Quite looking forward to blasting it out on LP. Can't afford the box set, which is a shame. The young team and burning box sets I got were great.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Full album streaming on the UK Guardian website:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... bum-stream
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Box Set arrived today. I just collected it from the neighbours and it looks like a really beautiful thing. I have managed not to hear much of Rave tapes, just the tunes they played at ATP and Remurdered on 6Music. I am going to cook dinner and afterwards sit down with a really nice bottle of wine and work my way through this and the Mark Lanegan retrospective box set which also arrived today.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Happy Songs, Rock Action, Mr Beast & The Hawk is Howling on LP all cheap on the PIAS web store...
http://bit.ly/1eDFB9p
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Having digested 'Rave Tapes' for a week now, I'm sad to say I'm very underwhelmed. After being hugely impressed by "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" I was looking forward to another top-class album from a rejuvenated Mogwai. Alas, it wasn't to be. Apart from 'Blues Hour' and 'The Lord Is Out Of Control' I'm finding it samey, ploddy, one-dimensional and completely lacking in inspiration. I really don't like that piano-esque lead synth sound in 'Remurdered', too; it ruins what could've been a good track. Oh well, these things happen, and I'm still very much looking forward to seeing them live in a couple of months. Maybe the new songs will shine with a bit of volume and meat behind them...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I feel quite the opposite. I can't stop listening to it. The sample on "Repelish" is the only thing on the album that grates on me. I just find that guy's voice and delivery particularly annoying. The production on Rave Tapes is spectacular. It's so lush and warm. I could have dealt with one or two heavier Batcat-ish rockers, but even with that minor complaint, I still find this record easy to listen to from start to finish. MC, are you a fan of CODY? That's the one Mogwai record that I find to be plodding and somewhat dull.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Cody is one of my favourites! looking forward to seeing them tomorrow, setlists have had some good tracks in that I've never seen before
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

TheWarmth wrote:I feel quite the opposite. I can't stop listening to it. The sample on "Repelish" is the only thing on the album that grates on me. I just find that guy's voice and delivery particularly annoying. The production on Rave Tapes is spectacular. It's so lush and warm. I could have dealt with one or two heavier Batcat-ish rockers, but even with that minor complaint, I still find this record easy to listen to from start to finish. MC, are you a fan of CODY? That's the one Mogwai record that I find to be plodding and somewhat dull.
I'm not a fan of CODY, and I think that's why I'm not particularly taken with Rave Tapes - they share a similar mood to my ears. The band have made comparisons between the two as well. At least Rave Tapes is a manageable length. I'll be persevering with it, as there are some undeniably pretty moments there. I agree with the Repelish sample - his voice is grating, and the sample itself is too obvious. I much prefer the likes of "Tracy", where it's all mumbled and you're left imagining much of the fight they were talking about.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Saw'em last night, never really got going for me. There were moments (Ithica, Helicon 1) where I was on the brink of having a really good time, but ultimately I was just a bit bored. My ears continue to get worse, also. I need earplugs.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I've got the new one and like it well enough. Also have nearly everything else by them and consider myself a fan, but nearly all the albums are pretty much interchangeable for me - if you played me a song it would take one or two guesses before I correctly named the album it came from. The one exception being Happy Songs…, I know that one front to back and consider it their high water mark.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I know I probably shouldn't have but I dived in and bought the box set of this. Yes, £60, is a hell of lot of money to splash out for one album, but what a beautifully put together box set. As for the record itself, I've played it about 6 or 7 times now and I just love it. Yes, I would have ideally loved to hear them really crank it up a level or 2 at some points but the album sounds terrific and flows really well. My favourites from it so far are "Blues Hour" and "The Lord is Out of Control" but I think the album works really well as a single piece of work. Mogwai really do have a back catalogue now to rival the best of what is out there and, along with Spiritulized, are quickly becoming my "go-to" band of choice.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

agree 100% with Mr Shines, loving the box set/loving the album. The opener is a cracker and a great way to open the show in manchester this week. Blues Hour is great and I thought came over brilliant live. Disagree with James on his summising of Mogwai this week at bridgewater Hall, although I was second row right infront of Stuart so I was very much 'in the zone'
Jim Morrison and White Noise were awesome, as was the unexpected suprise of ithica. What made it all the more enjoyable was the absence of Fear Satan and Like Herod, yet the set never suffered from their omissions.
However I was a little tipsy and James has just booked Carlton melton, so he can do no wrong, therefore i will agree with him on his brief review :wink:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've listened to Rave Tapes a couple of times and have to say it's not really impressed me thus far. the production is pretty impressive (as is to be expected with Mogwai) and there's nothing particularly wrong with it, it just doesn't have any of those towering, key standout tracks.. the ones that would be essential additions to the live setlist.. I guess this album is more about maintaining a consistent mood... will keep trying, guess it could well be a grower.

I do agree with Shinesalight that the band have such a good size discography now, that there is almost an album for every mood, so find myself reaching for them a lot.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was right up top, so maybe that did take away from it. Out of all the Mogwai shows I've seen it wasn't the worst, but it was way way off being up with the best ones. I'm fairly impressed with the new album, but didn't really enjoy those tracks live.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New E.P. from the Rave Tapes sessions on the way: http://www.mogwai.co.uk/news/2122/new_e ... industry_1
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The song they're streaming, "Teenage Exorcists," is wonderful.