White Album Project

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

White Album Project

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm sure some of you have read about the artist who is collecting vinyl copies of the White Album:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

He layered 100 of them on top of each other and has pressed the result on vinyl. Should be interesting! I do wonder how he managed to get approval from the Beatles camp to do this.

http://100whitealbums.tumblr.com/
James T
Known user

Re: White Album Project

Post by James T »

Interesting! I like the idea very much, nice to see the differences between each copy. All the same album but over time can change a lot under ownership of different people.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just ordered a copy of it. Very interested in this. Those covers look fantastic. The description of the album makes it seem like it'll be the White Album on acid. :twisted:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Where can it be ordered?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Use the tumblr link from my original post above.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

What a concept! I can't find where to order it from Tumblr though.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Oh man ... maybe it's sold out. I bought one yesterday via a Paypal link on the Tumblr page.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Same here. They've taken the link down. He must've caught a whiff of us Spz folks getting into it and though, "fucking hell..."
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Anyone in NY going to to this? He will be selling copies. Can someone pick me a copy? Pretty please

http://wfmu.org/recfair/
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Damn, I should've bought this. I had the paypal link up and was ready to pay but then hesitated and figured I'd sleep on it. Paul, maybe you could do a vinyl transfer?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I might do a vinyl transfer if I can find the time. I haven't received my copy yet, but I've heard that some have.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

It was a tad too expensive for me at the time. Shame, would've loved to have heard it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Dear Prudence sounds bloody trippy!
I'm not sure whether this whole thing is really cool, or utter nerdish pretentiousness... bit of both I guess!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

is wrote:Heh - it's what the White Album would've sounded like produced by Phil Spector. :lol:
My early 90s era double EMI Cassette version sounds just like this nowadays...

I think the concept is pretty cool but going on the soundcloud link of Side A it maybe doesn't quite deliver - the further into the record the less the 100(!) tracks are in any kind of alignment and it just sounds messy, if not unlistenable. I think it would have worked better maybe just having a few record rips overlaying each other, but controlled and manipulated accordingly for some real far out madness.

In saying that, I can't even imagine how fucked up 'Revolution 9' is going to sound like this. Presumably as being the least played track on that album anywhere the scratches and distortion might not be so extreme there either...
angelsighs wrote:I'm not sure whether this whole thing is really cool, or utter nerdish pretentiousness... bit of both I guess!
Definitely! :wink:
O P 8
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I caved and bought a copy off of ebay. I'm glad I got a copy but like Bza said once you get deep into the sides it's just basically white noise with 100 copies on top of each other. Actually, I think side one is the weakest and that's the one that was posted on soundcloud. Julia & Goodnight actually sort of work for being the last tracks on a side. Nonetheless it's a cool listen if one's in the mood. I'll do a transfer and will post if anyone is interested.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Minky wrote:I caved and bought a copy off of ebay. I'm glad I got a copy but like Bza said once you get deep into the sides it's just basically white noise with 100 copies on top of each other. Actually, I think side one is the weakest and that's the one that was posted on soundcloud. Julia & Goodnight actually sort of work for being the last tracks on a side. Nonetheless it's a cool listen if one's in the mood. I'll do a transfer and will post if anyone is interested.
I'd like to hear the rest of this as the Soundcloud excerpt sounded interesting.
It's nice to be liked,
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The more I hear this, the more I like it. Helter Skelter reminds me of "The Individual". Anyway, here's the transfer...enjoy. :)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/07kwqq
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Thanks for uploading this. Looking forward to a listen later on today. :)
It's nice to be liked,