1997 Live Shows Soundboard

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

1997 Live Shows Soundboard

Post by spzretent »

I have just sent Bza five cassette tapes of live shows. Two are soundboard recordings. One I have been listening to for 3 days in a row. It really is amazing how much higher Jason's voice is in the soundboard mix. Quite frankly I am hearing guitar sounds I have never heard before. St Andrews Hall Detroit 1997. This was around these parts on a bootleg CD so probably easier to find as a download. It is just incredible.
The other is not as common. Supper Club in New York City same tour. Dr John plays keys on Cop Shoot Cop. Another soundboard recording.
Chicago Double Door 1995. If I have the date wrong this could be another soundboard tape from the same 1997 tour which is what i am hoping. The other two are a radio broadcast from Sweden which was also a limited bootleg CD so probably easy to find.
Hopefully Bza will have these next week and then he can apply his magic. Then to share.
Happy Holidays!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Re: 1997 Live Shows Soundboard

Post by heisenberg »

Very exciting. Can't wait to hear these. Cheers fellas!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've got the CD bootleg of that St Andrew's Hall show - it really is a cracker. Haven't played it for a while but seem to remember the last track cuts off, presumably because the tape ran out at 45mins?

I've had it so long I actually paid for it, rather than grabbing on Dime or whatever... wow, those days!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yep. The guy that did these wasn't to great at editing. Nor was he a Spiritualized fan. There was a certain amount of arm twisting that went on to get those released. He added Broken Heart from that show onto another bootleg CD he put from Sweden I think.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I would love to hear a copy of the Supper Club soundboard, I was at that show. From what I remember it was a really good show but I was bit fucked up as was everyone I was with. Just a bad night in general. :roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The master has them. They arrived in CENSORED 1 week ago.
keeponrockin
Known user

Post by keeponrockin »

That couldn't be CENSORED, Scotland...could it?

My old haunt.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yep. Made it from Detroit to CENSORED in record time.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Haha - just seen this!
spzretent wrote:The master has them. They arrived in CENSORED 1 week ago.
The master huh?

I... I like that.

Here I am before commencing the next stage of audio wizardry. And shit

[img]http://b5media_b4.s3.amazonaws.com/28/files/2007/08/man-in-scottish-cloak.jpg[/img]
O P 8
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I was at the 1997 Detroit St. Andrews Hall show and that ranks in the top 2 of best Spz shows I've been to. Really excited to finally hear this show; thanks in advance master Bza :D
I think I feel it coming on
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

So…
What's happening with these, Master?
good dope/good fun
Known user

spzretent wrote:Hopefully Bza will have these next week and then he can apply his magic. Then to share.
Bump.
Again.
What's happening with these?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'll just pipe in here on BZA's behalf and say that he has a very busy life to contend with at the moment, so patience all and I'm sure the shows will be forthcoming when he has a moment to do them. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

good dope/good fun wrote: Bump.
Again.
What's happening with these?
Yeah, 'bump' yourself mate. Like your average Spiritualized release, it'll happen when... it happens.

To be honest though, the only person that should be 'bumping' me for updates would be spzretent himself. Unless I've missed some vital part you played in recording these gigs and posting them across the world...

As Sunray kindly informed here (Thank you!), my life is somewhat chaotic and extremely busy at the moment - hence my brief catch up posts here today. But don't worry, they'll be done.

This year.

Probably... :wink:
O P 8
good dope/good fun
Known user

Who took the jelly out of your donut?
Settle the fuck down.

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

As an old sod who used to trade for tapes I'm well used to waiting. Everything used done by snail mail, often with the end result being that you were ripped off. Moving to downloads and freesharing was great as stuff came in almost instantly without the chance of being ripped off. And it was free for the most part - no downside possible.

However, transferring a tape to the PC takes 90 minutes if you have a 90 minute tape. Then it needs to be tracksplit and transferred from WAV to FLAC or MP3, call it another half an hour to do properly. Remastering is a pain in the arse because it can take ages to get right and serious time to save the output. That is many hours of hard work for the uploader.

I stopped sharing on Dimeadozen because my recording of a JSpaceman solo gig (a single 100 minute piece of music IIRC) was reported and I received some abusive PMs because some tool couldn't burn the gig to CD and wouldn't or couldn't tracksplit it himself.

I have been looking forward to these shows and sincerely hope that the really bad manners on display here doesn't cause Barry to decide his time is better spent doing other things rather than preparing bootlegs.

Excuse the waffle. I am used to members of this board displaying good manners. I should simply have said:

good dope/good fun don't be such a fucking rude tit (please).
good dope/good fun
Known user

Jesus Christ.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Died For Nothing, I Suppose.

Nah, you can "settle the fuck down". As Olan gets at, good manners cost nothing.
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote:As an old sod who used to trade for tapes I'm well used to waiting. Everything used done by snail mail, often with the end result being that you were ripped off. Moving to downloads and freesharing was great as stuff came in almost instantly without the chance of being ripped off. And it was free for the most part - no downside possible.
As another "old sod" I too used to do a lot of tape trading all over the US and then by 2000 or so it eventually moved into cd-r's and with the internet/forums etc. one could share their record/tape list with people from all over the world and trade. I loved it. When the big envelope full of tapes or cd-r's arrived it was like Christmas. But, as things eventually became more and more digital it seems to have lost that excitement (for me). I have also done a bit of analog to digital and I have made a few compilations via I-Tunes playlist and I have to say it was a fucking chore! All the fun seems to be sucked out of what I once really enjoyed doing.

Have to say Olan, in all my trades from roughly 1985-2005 I was never burned or ripped off by anybody.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

redcloud wrote:
olan wrote:As an old sod who used to trade for tapes I'm well used to waiting. Everything used done by snail mail, often with the end result being that you were ripped off. Moving to downloads and freesharing was great as stuff came in almost instantly without the chance of being ripped off. And it was free for the most part - no downside possible.
As another "old sod" I too used to do a lot of tape trading all over the US and then by 2000 or so it eventually moved into cd-r's and with the internet/forums etc. one could share their record/tape list with people from all over the world and trade. I loved it. When the big envelope full of tapes or cd-r's arrived it was like Christmas. But, as things eventually became more and more digital it seems to have lost that excitement (for me). I have also done a bit of analog to digital and I have made a few compilations via I-Tunes playlist and I have to say it was a fucking chore! All the fun seems to be sucked out of what I once really enjoyed doing.

Have to say Olan, in all my trades from roughly 1985-2005 I was never burned or ripped off by anybody.
Ha! You are very lucky. I guess it really depends on how much you trade. I traded intensively through the 1980s and had a bit of bad luck with people contacted through the small ads at the back of the NME. I more or less packed in trading in 1990 and only restarted in the late 1990's when I came across a program called Waverec which allowed me to digitise cassettes. After that there was a period of trading CDrs, which finished when a bloke reneged on a trade. I've used ftp or torrents since then on the rare occasions I do trade.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote:
Ha! You are very lucky. I guess it really depends on how much you trade. I traded intensively through the 1980s and had a bit of bad luck with people contacted through the small ads at the back of the NME. I more or less packed in trading in 1990 and only restarted in the late 1990's when I came across a program called Waverec which allowed me to digitise cassettes. After that there was a period of trading CDrs, which finished when a bloke reneged on a trade. I've used ftp or torrents since then on the rare occasions I do trade.
Yep, I was trading a lot too but, I think most of the guys I was trading with were probably my age now...so 10-20 years older than me. Also, the psychedelic collectors circle is relatively small. There are names that come up in various books, fanzines (Ugly Things, Flashback etc.) that are old trader pals of mine. So, I think if you ripped somebody off you ran the risk of being black listed amongst collectors.

My first trade was initiated by placing an ad in the back of the old 'DISCoveries' and 'Goldmine' record collector magazines. One guy replied and it got the ball rolling. Once you have a few trades under your belt everything seemed to follow and before long I had people contacting me to initiate the trades. Back then, I spent hours typing my collection and keeping the list updated so I could send it out to other traders. When I received a list I would throughly go through it and highlight my wants and the trade was set up.

Back then, similar to bootlegs of shows...to hear some of these hard to find, obscure albums this is what you had to do. Nowadays it seems so much easier to find them either through the many, many reissues or via the internet (both obscure albums and shows). To be honest, it has removed a bit of the thrill that was once there but, I can still find some great records from time to time at various used record stores around town, which helps satisfy my record "addiction". :D