Best of 2013 lists

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Best of 2013 lists

Post by runcible »

I was going to put this in the 2013 thread but figured others would want to list their favourite music of the year so I started a new thread.

Not sure if any other albums are going to happen this year so I'll chuck in my list...

Album of the year:
Light Heat S/T. Took 2 or 3 plays but this curious record combines pop, singalong tunes, kraut and psych. Sounds better every time I play it. And it led me - via James Laz - to the delights of Mazarin.

The other notables:
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Endless Boogie - Long Island
Wooden Shjips - Back To Land
Vibravoid - Delirio Del Sensi
Black Crowes - Wiser For The Time
The Icarus Line - Slave Vows
Clinic - Free Reign II
Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare
The Asteroid #4 - s/t (plus Windmill of the Autumn Sky of course!)

Gig of the year:
Spiritualized at Holmfirth Picturedrome. Couldn't be anything else. Mind you I still have a few to come - Wooden Shjips, Loop, Jonathan Wilson...

The other notables:
Endless Boogie at Corsica Studios, London
The Icarus Line at Belgrave Music Hall, Leeds and The Harley, Sheffield
The Soft Pack at the Brudenell, Leeds
Hookworms at Wharf Chambers, Leeds
The Black Crowes at O2 Academy, Manchester
Anthropropph at Wharf Chambers, Leeds
Vibravoid at The Trades, Rotherham
The Asteroid # 4 at the Shacklewell Arms, London
Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel at The Royal Hall, Harrogate
(notice I didn't include Cliff Richard!)

I have to single out The Icarus Line's Laying Down For The Man as possibly the most amazing live moment I witnessed this year. Words can't describe how devastating that was, and I saw them do it twice.

Probably forgotten something but that'll do for now.

A million thanks to the many souls who pointed me in various musical directions this year - all of whom are forum members here. This place means the music press in general is redundant for me. I get far better opinions on this message board.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: Best of 2013 lists

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Albums (in no order)
Liminanas-Costa Blanca (This is class maybe my number 1)
Steve Mason-Monkey Minds in The Devils .....
Hookworms-Pearl Mystic
Mazzy Star-Seasons Of Your Day
The Oh Sees-Floating Coffin
Wooden Shjips-Back To Land
Carlton Melton- Always Even
Yo La Tengo-Fade
Kurt Vile-Walkin in A Pretty Daze
Follakzoid- ii

Gigs

Caxico-Manchester Ritz
Low-Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
Oh Sees-Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
Spiritualized-Holmfirth Picturedome
Peter Gabriel-MEN Arena
Allah Las-Leaf, Liverpool
Carlton Melton @ Psych Festival, Liverpool
Black Angels-Gorilla, Manchester
My Bloody Valentine-Manchester Apollo
Sigur Ros-Manchester Apollo
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

runcible wrote: A million thanks to the many souls who pointed me in various musical directions this year - all of whom are forum members here. This place means the music press in general is redundant for me. I get far better opinions on this message board.
Here Here

Greek Theater: Lost at Sea
Wooden Shjips: Back to Land
Kurt Vile: Walking on pretty Daze
HookWorms: Pearl Mystic
Musiccargo: Emotional Response
Follakzoid: II
Daniel Avery: Drone logic
Forest Swords: Engravings

Havent heard Light Heat but not for long

gigs
Thee Oh Sees Whelans Dublin
Moon Duo: Workmans: Dublin.
Sigur Ros : The O2 Dublin
Spiritualized: National Concert Hall
Black Angels: Music Centre Dublin
Chameleons & Wooden shjips still to come but without a doubt theyll be part of the end list.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Most of the records I have bought this year have been old albums found in used record bins so I guess they technically don't count as part of a best of 2013 list.

That said, the best album released in 2013 that I have heard and keeps getting better and better with every spin is definitely:

When I first heard this record I liked enough of it that it kept my interest but not all of it registered immediately. Since then, however, the album has grown and grown and I now really love it all from start to finish. It's a long record too which is nice to put on in the evening and let it just play without any interruptions.

Also agree with runcible with his acknowledgement of folks on this board and musical suggestions. Not sure I would have heard the Wilson record without beaker's praise. I think it was when he mentioned it in the same context of the Kenny Tudrick record that got my interest.

Gigs of the year for me:

Gary Clark Jr - Oct. 10 (Roseland Ballroom). Didn't know much about the guy but I took my son and I was blown away with the music that just totally flowed from the man. Much better live than he is on record.
Eels - Feb 18 (Aladdin Theatre). Always great to see Mark Everett and this gig did not disappoint. Pretty cool ending too when 3/4 of the venue had emptied and they came back on stage with house lights still on, roadies beginning to take the gear apart and they played another number. I managed to get a guitar pick too.
Spiritualized - April 9 (Wonder Ballroom) - The addition of the American rhythm section made this, at times, one of the more brutal/raw Spz concerts I have seen. Cool to have met toomilk too.

Still have The Black Crowes on Dec. 6. 8)

I think 2014 will start off good with the news of Sleepy Sun's new record and I believe Jonathan Wilson will also be coming through Portland in Feb/March.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Albums
Low
Kurt Vile
John Grant
Black Hearted Brother

Gigs
Leonard Cohen at Manchester Arena
Kraftwerk in Dusseldorf
Low in London (also Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol and many others, but this was best.)

Still got Loop, Dean Wareham, The Pop Group and Goat to come...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

off the top of my head (shit at things like this)

album:
The Holydrug Couple- Noctuary
runner up: Hookworms- Pearl Mystic

gig:
Swans- Birmingham Institute
runner up: White Manna- Liverpool Psych Fest

still lots more to come as others have said above! still need to give the Black Hearted Brother record a proper listen. and I guess I need to check out the Kurt Vile. it seemed to pass without much comment generally but lots of people rating it here!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here are my favorite albums of 2013, in no particular order:

Black Hearted Brother: Stars Are Our Home
Darkside: Psychic
My Bloody Valentine: mbv
Mogwai: Les Revenants
David Bowie: The Next Day
The Knife: Shaking The Habitual
Neon Neon: Praxis Makes Perfect
Primal Scream: More Light
Boards of Canada: Tomorrow's Harvest
CAVE: Threace
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Totally forgot mbv was this year, great LP. Liked Bowie also, and the Mogwai soundtrack!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

TheWarmth wrote:CAVE: Threace
Oh yes - I forgot about that one! That is almost better than Light Heat - a cracking record!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

My favourite album of the year was the Carlton Melton Live LP released for Record Store Day. This should probably will be ruled out on a technicality (gig was in 2011 IIRC) so I will nominate (in no particular order):

Carlton Melton - Always Even
My Bloody Valentine - MBV
Mogwai - Les Revenants
Eat Lights: Become Lights - Modular Living and Live in Brixton
Fuxa - Dirty D
Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood - Black Pudding
Sigur Ros - Kveikur

I have been buying a lot of vintage jazz re-releases which are all awesome and (as I am culturally an ignoramus) also are all-new for me. In some ways 2013 is a a bit of a strange year musically. There were lots of good LPs, but very few were outstanding IMHO. This is perhaps because of my voyage into jazz which has been a revelation.

My best purchase of the year was a collection of Vini Reilly's demo tapes in an auction in Stockport for £80. The tapes were sold as part of Tony Wilson's estate. This lot yielded up about 2 hours of unreleased tunes, some or all of which may eventually see the light of day on an official Durutti Column release. :D

Unsurprisingly, the Carlton Melton set at the Liverpool Psyche Festival was the live highlight for me. A close second was Tindersticks at Vickers Lane in Dublin just before Halloween. ATP with Loop is this weekend with Loop, Mogwai, Goat, Fuck Buttons etc, so the live highlight is subject to change but probably won't as CM were fucking unbelievable!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

LPs

MBV
James Holden
Factory Floor
Daniel Avery
Fuxa
Darkside
Dean Wareham EP
The Asphodells
Moderat II
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Two charts for this year, first draft:

Albums Released in 2013

1. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
2. Hey! Hello! - Hey! Hello!
3. Mercury Rev - Live In Brixton, 1992
4. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
5. Harmony Rockets - Angels Are Spirits, Flames Of Fire
6. Carlton Melton - Always Even
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. Earthless - From The Ages
9. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
10. Julian Cope - Revolutionary Suicide
11. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe

Other Albums/Live Recordings I First Heard in 2013

1. Ginger Wildheart - 555%
2. Carlton Melton - Photos Of Photos
3. Stereolab - Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Volume 2)
4. The Verve - Live @ Hultsfred Festival, 1994
5. Earthless - Sonic Prayer / Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky (dead heat, had to include them both!)
6. Stereolab - Oscillons From The Anti-Sun
7. Herbie Hancock - Sextant
8. Reverberation - Blue Stereo Music
9. J Spaceman - Ellnora Guitar Festival, September 2013
10. Public Image Limited - First Issue
11. Julian Cope - Woden

Gig of the year: Ultrasound, King Tut's Wah Wah Hut
Last edited by mc on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Well, rounding it up to a neat top 10:

House of Love – She Paints Word in Red
The Pastels – Slow Summits
Maps - Vicissitude
Slipstream - Stereo Brain Mono Heart
Dean Wareham – Emancipated Hearts
Steve Ignorant and Paranoid Visions – When?
Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine – White People and the Damage Done
Earthless – From the Ages
Motorhead – Aftershock
Black Sabbath – 13

They are not in any order, except for the House of Love album which is first – this is my favourite album by far this year. They were also great when I saw them at the extremely packed Scala in London.

My biggest disappointment of the year was the Primal Scream album. Even now I cannot listen to more than 5 minutes of it. I’ve tried!! I keep thinking “I’m going to get it soon”, but it actively annoys me, and I just have to switch off after trying the first minute of 5-6 tracks. Strange, because their last album Beautiful Future is my favourite one of theirs since Screamadelica.

One of the main things this year that got me turned onto bands that I hadn’t really bothered with before is the Scared to be Happy compilation. After digesting this I went out and bought lots of albums from bands such as The Brilliant Corners, Weather Prophets, 14 Iced Bears and even from bands that weren’t featured on it like Felt, Loft and The Pastels. There is some great music from the 80s that I just haven’t given a chance before. I’m very much looking forward to the re-release of the C86 compilation next year.

There’s also been some great re-issues such as Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni, and LH1 stuff like Honey Ltd.

Fav Gigs? Not been to many. Motorhead cancelled because of Lemmy’s ill health and Black Sabbath and Dean Wareham are next month, but I did enjoy:

The Cult @ the Roundhouse
Subhumans @ the Horn in St Albans
Inner Terrestrials @ the Horn in St Albans
House of Love @ Scala

Ste
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

off the top of my head-

my bloody valentine- 'm b v'
hookworms- 'pearl mystic'
grouper- 'the man who died in his boat'
thee oh sees- 'floating coffin'
mazzy star- 'seasons of your day'
jacco gardner- 'cabinet of curiosities'
nick cave & the bad seeds- 'push the sky away'
white fence- 'cyclops reap'
primal scream- 'more light'
no joy- 'wait to pleasure'
veronica falls- 'waiting for something to happen'
bardo pond- 'peace on venus'
low- 'the invisible way'
crystal stilts- 'nature noir'
bare mutants- 'the affliction'
implodes- 'recurring dream'

i'm still waiting on two new releases that i'm pretty sure will make it up there- the new warlocks and the new fauns (which i've heard a handful of tracks from that i really like).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

stegraham wrote: My biggest disappointment of the year was the Primal Scream album. Even now I cannot listen to more than 5 minutes of it. I’ve tried!! I keep thinking “I’m going to get it soon”, but it actively annoys me, and I just have to switch off after trying the first minute of 5-6 tracks.
I agree with that - I think it's just lightweight rubbish. The only song that's half decent imo is the opening track of disc 2, Nothing Is Real / Nothing Is Unreal. Shame really
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: My best purchase of the year was a collection of Vini Reilly's demo tapes in an auction in Stockport for £80. The tapes were sold as part of Tony Wilson's estate. This lot yielded up about 2 hours of unreleased tunes, some or all of which may eventually see the light of day on an official Durutti Column release. :D
Sporadic Recordings Vol 4? :D
also, are you gonna give us a jazz masterclass at ATP then Olan? :)

lots of albums I've not even heard of being mentioned here.. guess I need to do some homework. some I'm taking for granted too. thought MBV was a fine album, some people were disappointed, but then I thought some hoped it would resemble the meaning of life wrapped up in a record or something.
the Yo La Tengo is great too, almost forgot about it, as it came out right at the beginning of the year.

however, is it just me that thinks Mogwai Les Revenants isn't all that? I say that as a big Mogwai fan. it's okay, but suffers from soundtrack-itus. i.e. sounds a bit light and insubstantial divorced from the thing it's soundtracking.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Biggest disappointments of 2013:
Bill Callahan - Dream River. Love the guy but I'll have to disagree with the bandwagoneers who rank this one highly. Sounds like a lazy Gil-Scott Heron tribute to me.
Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare. Was anticipating this one and wanted to like it. Was hoping he'd dial back some of the hippy dippy meanderings of the last one but they are back with a vengeance, complete with ridiculous guitar solo histrionics. Bleh.

Best:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat
Robbie Fulks - Gone Away Backward
Mazzy Star - Seasons Of Your Day
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:also, are you gonna give us a jazz masterclass at ATP then Olan? :) .
Certainly not! Jazz is best done in the privacy of one's home.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Glad you're loving Light Heat runcible. I've been a fan of Quentin's stuff for years - Azusa Plane (with whom he drummed LOUD) and then Mazarin and now Light Heat. Was lucky enough to see Light Heat in Brooklyn this year and they were incredible.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

^^haha, glad to hear ;)

Far from a definite list, some of the albums I've enjoyed most this year:

Mikal Cronin - MCII

Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Wolf People - Fain
Bill Ryder Jones - A Bad Wind Blows In My Heart
Six By Seven - Love and Peace and Sympathy
Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day
Fuzz - Fuzz
White Manna - Dune Worship

I haven't been to as many gigs as I've wished, highlights so far were probably ...Trail of Dead and White Hills, both in April.
Last edited by flokie on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

—Primal Scream: More Light
—Black Hearted Brother: Stars Our Are Home
—Suuns: Images Du Future
—Hookworms: Pearl Mystic
—Yo La Tengo: Fade
—Black Angels: Indigo Meadow
—Depeche Mode: Delta Machine
—Boards Of Canada: Tomorrow's Harvest

I'm forgetting a few i'm sure.

*no particular order.
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have 8 but am out of town until tomorrow when I will round this out to my Top 10:
Asteroid No.4- The Windmill Of The Autumn Sky
Steve Mason- Monkey Minds.....
Mazzy Star- Seasons of The Day
Light Heat- S/T
Wooden Shjips- Back To Land
Hookworms- Pearl Mystic
Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood- Black Pudding
Dirtbombs- Ooey Gooey Kablooey

Highlights:
FINALLY getting the green light to do the limited edition t shirt for the message board after 10 years of asking. Also the response from those of you who ordered the shirts. That makes it even more worthwhile.
Gig:
Kenny Tudrick at Lager House Detroit
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Albums
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
Bill Callahan - Dream River
Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away

Gigs:
Thee Oh Sees - Scala
Sun Araw - Corsica Studios
Loop - Netil House
Allah La's / Dead Coast - Dingwalls
Wobbly Lamps - Village Green Festival
Destruction Unit - Old Blue Last

As per usual I always forget what went on at the start of the year, probably missed off a key gig or album. Wooden Shjips next month which I'm sure will be added to this list of favourites as they always get me going in the head and hips.

I may have added Primal Scream - More Light to the albums but after an initial excited rush of "blimey, it's not as naff as expected after the last two efforts" it soon lost it's fiery allure for me. Some great songs, some OK, some really terrible, a strangely detached album in a way.

PS: I'd like to echo what Runcible said about this forum. It's always full of continued discussion, passion, top tips, valued opinions and all round interest. There're some genuinely nice people on here who care about other people they have yet to meet in real life, which is incredible really. Personally I'd like to say cheers amigos for the words and support over the last couple of years.....you know who you are.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:Albums

John Grant

his new one didn't make it for me the way queen of denmark did i have to say, i still listen to that album frequently but haven't gone back to PGG since deleting it off the ipod yon time..

i'm glad he went in a new direction for PGG but for me the standout is the one that most closely resembles QoD - Glacier. which would also be in the running for my fave song this yr.
mc wrote: 8. Earthless - From The Ages

Earthless was a fun record. surprised it didn't get more attn on here. dont think i could include it in a top10 but i enjoy it a lot.
I haven't heard the latest Julianna Barwick one yet but i adored The Magic Place so will have to track it down..

nice to see Sabbath get a mention.

just to represent i quite liked Doris by Earl Sweatshirt & yea even Yeezus - i am a god up there for my fave song of the yr also..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

In no order...

Dwellings - Don't Say Nothing

Factory Floor - Factory Floor*

Cut Copy - Free Your Mind (Spiritualized Remix)

The Black Angels - Indigo Meadow

My Bloody Valentine - M B V

GNOD - Presents... Dwellings & Druss

DARKSIDE - Psychic

White Hills - So You Are... So You'll Be

Still Corners - Strange Pleasures

Ghost Box Study Series 09: Projections - Listening Center & Pye Corner Audio

Ghost Box Study Series 10: Message And Method - Bellbury Poly & Spacedog

CAVE - Threace*

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine

The Asteroid #4 - The Windmill Of The Autumn Sky

* My two favorites of the year.

Gigs:

I've only seen four shows this year but they were all really good and all were in a three month period.

Depeche Mode - August 30th Revel Casino, Atlantic City, NJ

Spiritualized - September 9th Union Transfer, Philadelphia

Spiritualized - September 10th Webster Hall, NYC

My Bloody Valentine - November 9th Electric Factory, Philadelphia

Clothing:

Spiritualized - The Highest Show On Earth! - Outpatients shirt
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Albums:

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
Sigur Rós - Kveikur
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Kanye West - Yeezus
Kurt Vile - Waking on a Pretty Daze

Gigs:

Sigur Rós - Malmø
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Copenhagen
Flaming Lips - New York
John Cale performing Music For A new Society - Aarhus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

johnnyboy wrote:
PS: I'd like to echo what Runcible said about this forum. It's always full of continued discussion, passion, top tips, valued opinions and all round interest. There're some genuinely nice people on here who care about other people they have yet to meet in real life, which is incredible really. Personally I'd like to say cheers amigos for the words and support over the last couple of years.....you know who you are.
This message board is vital to quite a few of us. I have no idea what I would do without it. From band recommendations, to culinary tips, to sports banter to accomodations to and for other board members this really is a wonderful community.
I dont post nor visit any other message boards so I have no idea what they are like. Many people whom I have met that do visit other sites say nothing is like the Spiritualized message board.
I cant stress enough just how amazing this place is.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:D

Yup.
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

Absolute favorite album of the year is The Drones - I See Seaweed. It's certainly not an easy listen, but definitely their most rewarding. The final song "Why Write a Letter That You Never Send" is an absolute masterpiece. I cannot say enough good things about this album, and if you're a fan of Nick Cave's work you should not hesitate in giving it a listen.

Other albums of note:
Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home
Mikal Cronin - MCII
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Flyying Colours EP
No Joy - Wait To Pleasure
The Dodos - Carrier

Biggest disappointments:
Dismemberment Plan - Uncanney Valley
Elvis Costello & The Roots

Best old album I discovered this year:
The Monkees - Head

The film that this soundtracks is phenomenal and can be found in full on youtube. A great slice of late-60s psychedelia and sketch comedy written by Jack Nicholson, Bob Rafaelson and The Monkees over a weekend. The soundtrack was compiled by Nicholson and has a bunch of cool sound collages, not to mention the excellent songs.

Gigs:

Other than some random local gigs, the only show I saw this year was Yo La Tengo, which I showed up for a half hour late and didn't mind one bit, since they split the show up into acoustic/electric halves. The electric half was worth the full price.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Notable albums from this year:
Asteroid No.4 - S/T
Black Crowes - Wiser For The Time
Dead Meadow - Warble Womb
Fuzz - S/T
Bardo Pond - Peace On Venus
Daddy Long Legs - Evil Eye On You
Lantern - Rock 'N' Roll Rorschach
Cave - Threace
Light Heat - S/T
Night Beats - Sonic Bloom
King Khan and the Shrines - Idle No More
White Hills - So You Are... So You'll Be
Asteroid No.4 & Peter Daltrey - The Journey
Earthless - From The Ages
Los Tentakills - We Have Levitation
Endless Boogie - Long Island
The Cosmic Dead - Inner Sanctum
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Lumerians - The High Frontier

Notable EPs from this year:
Carlton Melton - Four Eyes
Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All
Dead Skeletons - Dead Comet
The Golden Grass - One More Time
Sleepy Sun - Digital EP
The Asteroid No.4 - The Windmill Of The Autumn Sky

Live albums of the year:
Carlton Melton - Live In Europe '12
The Cosmic Dead - Live At The Note
The Hills - Live
Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual

This years discoveries:
Volta Sound (thanks to RedCloud!)
Daddy Long Legs (thanks to my wee brother!)
The Golden Grass
Los Tentakills
Light Heat (would never have known Mr Mazarin was back without being tipped off by Runcible!)

Albums i had high expectations of but never quite hit them:
The Black Angels - Indigo Meadow (Just not as good as the previous albums, although they are still really great live. New songs sounded much better live than on record)
My Bloody Valentine - MBV (Really really underwhelmed but it. Probably due to the fact that its been 10+ years in the making. Interest had waned too much)
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Mind Control (Just feel it could have been so much more. Seems to be treading water a little. Tracks are all a little too "samey")

This years gigs (i don't get out much):
White Hills & The Cosmic Dead
NAAM & The Cosmic Dead
Black Crowes
Carlton Melton & The Cosmic Dead (GIG OF THE YEAR BY A MILLION MILES!!!!!)
The New Mendicants (Norman Blake & Joe Pernice)
Dead Skeletons (2ND BEST GIG OF THE YEAR)
The Black Angels
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

albums
Boards Of Canada- Tomorrows Harvest,
My Bloody Valentine- mbv,
Daft Punk- Random Access Memory,
Jon Hopkins- Immunity,
Steve mason- Monkey Minds In The Devils Time,
Fuzz- Fuzz,
Carlton Melton- Always Even,
QOTSA- ...Like Clockwork,
Michael Head & The Red Telephone Band- Artorious Revisited,
Wooden Shjips- Back To Land,
Forest Swords- Engravings ,
Burial- Rough Sleeper/Truant,
Fuck Buttons- Slow Focus,
Daniel Avery- Drone Logic,
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

just need to add something, always one eh? was playing this today and had forgot how good it was, played it lots earlier this yr. Psychic Ills- One More Time , :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

In retrospect there's been some absolutely amazing records released this year - also can't believe how quick it's gone in:

NEW

Adrian Younge Presents The Delphonics
Andy Allo – Superconductor
Asphodells – Ruled By Passion, Destroyed By Lust
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Daniel Avery – Drone Logic
Deerhunter – Monomania
Dirtbombs – Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-blooey!
Ghostface Killah feat. Adrian Younge – 12 Reasons to Die
Iggy & The Stooges – Ready To Die
Janelle Monae – The Electric Lady
Killah Priest – The Psychic World of Walter Reed
Machine Code – Under The Sun
Major Lazer – Free The Universe
Matthew E. White – Big Inner LP
my bloody valentine – m b v
Natalia Kills - Trouble
Primal Scream – More Light
Prince Fatty Presents Holly Cook in Dub
Queens of the Stone Age - ...like Clockwork
Steve Mason – Monkey Minds in the Devil’s Time
Tricky – False Idols
U-God – The Keynote Speaker

Yep, a lot of total classics. The Daft Punk album is pretty incredible. It's definitely a grower and I do wonder how much I would love it if I didn't give a shit about the supreme fidelity and musicianship that's gone in to it - respect though, and populist choice be damned, 'Get Lucky' was easily the song of the year from me, fortunate to have heard it in the exact environment for which it was intended as well as being inspired by...
Initially the album almost seemed like a let down - like, where are the massive party anthems? - but unlike the immediate filtered disco pop of the earlier stuff, repeated listening sorta reveals some kind of genius at work here. Ahead of the curve or mad homage or something - amazing record all the same.

The Steve Mason album is easily my favourite post-Beta Band work. In fact, at this point I would argue it's the best music to come out of the whole Beta Band (and affiliated) 'thing'. Poetic and heavily political, and some amazing music.

m b v - seriously, as far as I'm concerned the best My Bloody Valentine album. It hits me in all sorts of places that even Loveless didn't... there are a couple of tracks I'm not overly keen on (yet) but the really amazing stuff ('Only Tomorrow', 'New You' and the stunning final three tracks) is up there with the best.

The Dirtbombs record is just incredible. Initially I didn't expect much - a bubblegum pop record? Then I read it had been planned for a long, long time and took two years to record... I challenge anyone not to listen to that and just smile. They've gone all out pop but without losing the classic Dirtbombs sound (double drums, loads of fuzz etc) and it's so concise.
There are nods here and there to all sorts of stuff - including a blatant steal of 'Good Vibrations' - but there's stuff on there that sound straight from the Beatles early songbook, totally vital and euphoric and just feel-good shit. Amazing. They even do a psychedelic detour at one point... Bubblegum psyche pop!

Go-to record of the year is Major Lazer. Just fucking incredible, what a trip. See also - the genius of Matthew E White. I've Mr Orbital to thank for that one...

Also glad to see a lot of love on here for Daniel Avery - that album is a classic already. The title-track is something else, no? Triggers all kinds of half-remembered '2am on a Saturday' madness...

EPs and stuff

Primal Scream - 2013 (& Weatherall mixes) & It's Alright, It's OK
Matthew E. White - Outer Face EP
Prince & 3rd Eye Girl - Fix Your Mind Up
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind (Spiritualized Remix)
Turtle - Who Knows EP

Turtle is a guy I know who's making some incredible new music - he sounds like fucking Dennis Wilson! He hadn't even heard of Dennis Wilson... anyway it's pretty amazing, Gilles Peterson played him last week, and you check him out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwmUKmCAfzQ

Old/Re-issues

Could only be one winner:

Nirvana - In Utero [20th Anniversary Edition]

Guess I've been looking forward to something like this for that album for years and musically it totally delivers...

Jerry Lee Lewis - A Whole Lotta Jerry Lee Lewis
Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell & Angels
King Tubby's - The Lost Midnight Rock Dubs Volume 3
Lee Perry & His Upsetters present Roaring Lion
Lee Perry & The Sufferers: The Sound Doctor – Black Ark Singles & Dub Plates
Lee Perry & Friends – Disco Devil: The Jamaican Discomixes
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man [40th Anniversary Expanded Edition]
Miles Davis Quintet - The Bootleg Series Vol. 2: Live In Europe 1969
Miles Davis – Bitches Brew Live
Otis Redding - Lonely & Blue – The Deepest Soul of...
Sam Cooke – The Complete Singles Collection

Close second is the great Trouble Man reissue - huge amount of alternate cuts and versions of the soundtrack stuff as well the entire score, beautifully sounding remaster too. That album deserves nothing less IMO.
The Otis Redding compilation is just fantastic - lovingly compiled lesser known works that are just amazing.
OD'ing on Jerry Lee Lewis and Lee Perry this year a lot too. The Miles bootleg stuff is superb also...
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: E
O P 8
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

BzaInSpace wrote: Also glad to see a lot of love on here for Daniel Avery - that album is a classic already. The title-track is something else, no? Triggers all kinds of half-remembered 2am on a saturday madness...

The Miles bootleg stuff is superb also...
I've come soooo close to pushing the 'Add to cart' on that Miles Davis bootleg thing several times this year - take it I should actually go ahead then??

I'd say the Avery thing is my favourite release of the year, followed by Holden's The Inheritors. If you go on Dan Avery's Soundcloud page you can download his Rinse FM shows... the one where Holden does a guest mix is essential listening!

See: https://soundcloud.com/danielavery
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Greeny wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote: Also glad to see a lot of love on here for Daniel Avery - that album is a classic already. The title-track is something else, no? Triggers all kinds of half-remembered 2am on a saturday madness...

The Miles bootleg stuff is superb also...
I've come soooo close to pushing the 'Add to cart' on that Miles Davis bootleg thing several times this year - take it I should actually go ahead then??

I'd say the Avery thing is my favourite release of the year, followed by Holden's The Inheritors. If you go on Dan Avery's Soundcloud page you can download his Rinse FM shows... the one where Holden does a guest mix is essential listening!

See: https://soundcloud.com/danielavery
Thanks - will check them out for sure. The Scrutton St. Axis rules!

The Miles bootleg series? You definitely should... 8)
O P 8
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Morning all

Albums for me have been....

1. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II

2. Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin

3. Arctic Monkeys - AM

4. Congo Natty - Jungle Revolution

5. Steve Mason - Monkey Mind

6. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus

7. Primal Scream - More Light

8. Jagwar Ma - Howlin
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Finally remembered my login details...merry Christmas to you all x

Highlights of 2013 as I remember them and in no particular order;

Autre ne veut 2nd album - pure gorgeous pop music!
Dean Blunt redeemer album
Haleek maul ep called oxyconteen - kids is only 16/17 years old!
Ferraro - NYC hell
Supreme cuts feat. Haleek maul mixtape
Cadenza had its tenth birthday
Drumcode continued to release amazing techno
Nicole Moudaber is HAWT!
Francois kevorkian made the best mix album - renaissance masters series
Jessy Lanza appeared
James Blake made an album to rival his first
Burial is back....again and in devastating form

And finally John Newman "love me again" was the song of the year,

I'm off to Berlin early January so 2014 starts well

Have a wonderful new year x
Shoulders back, smash it
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Great seeing you back Mr. Hunter - gonna stop by more regularly this year? Some very interesting listening as always - the new Burial, is that the EP? Hoping to have that tomorrow. Some other stuff there sounding very intriguing.

Enjoy Berlin... :D

And big shout to ORBITAL too - no room for Matthew E. White on that list? (Or Daft Punk?? :wink: )

I'd totally forgotten about the Unknown Mortal Orchestra album BTW. Great album.

Cheers fellas....
O P 8
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:Great seeing you back Mr. Hunter - gonna stop by more regularly this year? Some very interesting listening as always - the new Burial, is that the EP? Hoping to have that tomorrow. Some other stuff there sounding very intriguing.

Enjoy Berlin... :D
We'll thank you, I've had this iPad thing remember my login details which should help however can't promise anything as I'm focused on seeing Basshunter and Avicci in the same room, this year....kinda like the Michael/Janet thing...which might prove time consuming and require extensive periods in magaluf.

I'd recommend the Autre ne veut album to you it's the unsafe direction justin timberland (sorry timber lake) should've went!
Yes, yes, yes to the new burial...he is deciding to head in Luciano length proportions with his new tunes. Lovely.
Oh and for techno, the Len faki remix of Beyer Human Reason is one to get lost in.
Anyway, I have to go play Santa for the kids; beds, bikes and xboxs to build and setup after a strong black
Have a wonderful day with the family!
Shoulders back, smash it
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Yeah, I'd include Mathew E White up there too. There are a few others missing too but it was off the top of my head. I wasn't grabbed by the DP album, but there's some good tracks on it.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i made a best of 2013 mix. i'm pretty happy with it- it's CD length, but was whittled down from about 60 songs. this was somehow a better year for music than last year. i went ahead and made it all vinyl rips if, for no other reason, than to fill in the gaps (there were a few records i only had digitally).

http://www.mixcloud.com/shalloboi/best-of-2013/
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

shalloboi wrote:i made a best of 2013 mix. i'm pretty happy with it- it's CD length, but was whittled down from about 60 songs. this was somehow a better year for music than last year. i went ahead and made it all vinyl rips if, for no other reason, than to fill in the gaps (there were a few records i only had digitally).

Thanks for the listen ,nice mix. I had to do something similar earlier this month for an LP group I follow on Twitter, best of 2013 cd for a `secret santa` type thing, if anybody fancies a listen here`s a link,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrapljxx6zjel ... 202013.rar
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

niamhm wrote:
shalloboi wrote:i made a best of 2013 mix. i'm pretty happy with it- it's CD length, but was whittled down from about 60 songs. this was somehow a better year for music than last year. i went ahead and made it all vinyl rips if, for no other reason, than to fill in the gaps (there were a few records i only had digitally).

Thanks for the listen ,nice mix. I had to do something similar earlier this month for an LP group I follow on Twitter, best of 2013 cd for a `secret santa` type thing, if anybody fancies a listen here`s a link,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrapljxx6zjel ... 202013.rar
Nice compilations, the both of ya ;) Thnx for sharing!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just picked it up yesterday but Iasos - Celestial Soul Navigation goes right in to my best of list. Nice package from Numero Group also...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

not much more I can add to what's already been said, but thought I'd add 'Square Moon' by the Crimea. having lived with many of the best tracks in demo form over the last few years it was amazing to hear it all finished, though bittersweet since its release coincided with the band breaking up. As usual with double albums it's not perfect, (personally I love double albums for exactly this reason), but with more than enough great tracks to warrant its length. It's also not the kind of music that I would usually expect to appeal to most on this board, though I mention it for those who are feeling open minded. Personally I think it's an amazing swan-song - evocative, ambitious and utterly unique. For those feeling adventurous, here's a link to the stream of the album. I hope you hear what I do in it...

http://albumstreams.com/s/the-crimea/square-moon
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

This really was my favorite moment of 2013, gig-wise, over 2 Spiritualized gigs
(So Lucky to have 2 in one year, Thank you Spiritualized!!, stateside!! but still.. )
and also even over Rangda, and Hawkwind on Hallowe'en:

Richard Youngs/Ben Chasny "Spin Me Endless In The Universe"

so please check it out, if it's your thing:
http://www.badabingrecords.com/press/richard-youngs/
some fabulous tracks on this album
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Richa ... _Oslo_Rose
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Time to update my 2013 chart after absorbing some of the music I bought after Xmas.

1. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
2. Hey! Hello! - Hey! Hello!
3. Mercury Rev - Live In Brixton, 1992
4. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
5. Burial - Rival Dealer EP
6. Harmony Rockets - Angels Are Spirits, Flames Of Fire
7. Conquering Animal Sound - On Floating Bodies
8. Carlton Melton - Always Even
9. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
10. David Bowie - The Next Day
12. Earthless - From The Ages
13. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
14. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
15. Mogwai - Les Revenants
16. Julian Cope - Revolutionary Suicide
17. Cave - Threace
18. Bardo Pond - Rise Above it All
19. Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat
20. Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Still quite a few to digest properly, too...
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:
Also glad to see a lot of love on here for Daniel Avery - that album is a classic already. The title-track is something else, no? Triggers all kinds of half-remembered '2am on a Saturday' madness...

Bought this whilst i was wandering about the Fort the other day...only really there for doughnuts and cheap foreign films as hmv dance (electronic) section is horrible (although the hmv on sauchiehall street seems to fair better with releases by hospital productions and houndstooth etc). Anyway, i'm only about 8 tracks in; track 8 being my current favourite but i'm only 75% satisifed...i have a problem with aceeed like tweeks and even track 8 there is a deep voiced phrase that sais "acid". However i firmly believe that it's headphones music and look forward to exploring more. What is pleasing is the mirroring of a sound i like and remember fondly; if you get a chance perhaps have a listen (maybe not purchase) the "six wheels on my wagon" album by Fluke. i believe it was early 90's and the song "ice cream..." was a staple at parties.

Lastly, one that i picked up at the end of 2013 which is serving very well is Rainer Veil EP out on Modern Love. Subsequently and after careful consideration i've opted for Miles' Faint Hearted long player on the same label.

I'm off out for a cycle, Best S.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote: What is pleasing is the mirroring of a sound i like and remember fondly; if you get a chance perhaps have a listen (maybe not purchase) the "six wheels on my wagon" album by Fluke. i believe it was early 90's and the song "ice cream..." was a staple at parties.
Six Wheels... :D Heard it last summer for the first time in years. Certainly of its time but mostly still manages to get toes-a-tappin' and put a smile on the face.

The Daniel Avery album is on my laptop sitting in my ever increasing 'To Listen To...' list.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, I've had a bit of time to catch up on the 2013 releases that I got for Xmas and those that I treated myself to in the week or so after, and I'm still quite a way off really deciding on a definitive list. In the interests of adding to this thread before it becomes way out of date, here are my top ten of the year (but definitely not in any specific order):-

Mathew E White - Big Inner
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away
Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home
MBV - My Bloody Valentine
Mazzy Star - Seasons Of Your Day
Kurt Vile - Wakin' on a Pretty Daze

There were a shed load of records just bubbling under these that on any other given day may even make my top ten including the likes of:-

Eat Lights;Become Lights - Modular Living
Cave - Threace
Midlake - Antiphon
White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade
Black Angels - Indigo Meadow (have to agree with Laz that these songs are much better live)
White Hills - So You Are...So You'll Be
The Warlocks - Skull Worship
Follakzoid - II
Kandodo - K2O
Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In The Devils Time

So, all in all, 2013 has been a very decent/expensive year record-wise. As for gigs, these are my top 5 (and these are in order!):-

1. Carlton Melton/White Manna - Green Door Store, Brighton
2. Mogwai - ATP Festival
3. White Denim - The Haunt, Brighton
4. Hookworms - Green Door Store, Brighton
5. Black Angels - The Haunt, Brighton

Just missing out:-

White Hills - Green Door Store, Brighton
Kandodo - ATP Festival
Kurt Vile - Concorde, Brighton
Jim Jones Review/Joe Gideon & The Shark - The Haunt, Brighton
Goat - ATP Festival
Fuck Buttons - Concorde Brighton
Moon Duo - The Haunt, Brighton
Michael Rother - ATP Festival

This has made me realise that a) I went to a lot more gigs this year than I thought (especially considering it's my first as a Dad and b) we really don't do bad gig-wise down here in Brighton (especially considering our proximity to London).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone