New War on Drugs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

New War on Drugs

Post by clewsr »

woo woo. Hope they come back to Liverpool next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FPnh_Obz8

THRILLED to announce new LP 'Lost In The Dream' will be released March 18. New song 'Red Eyes' and US tour dates available today.

03/18 Philadelphia, PA Union Transfer
03/20 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom
03/21 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall Of Williamsburg
03/22 Pittsburgh, PA Altar
03/23 Chicago, IL Metro
03/26 Denver, CO Bluebird Theater
03/28 Seattle, WA Neptune
03/29 Vancouver, BC Biltmore Cabaret
03/30 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom
04/01 San Francisco, CA The Independent
04/04 Los Angeles, CA The Troubadour
04/06 San Diego, CA Casbah
04/07 Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom
04/08 Tucson, AZ Club Congress
04/10 Columbia, MO The Blue Note
04/11 Cincinnati, OH 20th Century
04/12 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
04/13 Buffalo, NY Town Ballroom
04/14 Toronto, ON Legendary Horseshoe Tavern
04/17 Boston, MA Paradise
04/18 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
flokie
Known user

Re: New War on Drugs

Post by flokie »

ooh great news, definitely hoping for a UK tour too.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yeah, really hope they come back to Liverpool.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

tour kicks off 90 minutes from me :mrgreen:
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

Definitely going to go to that Portland show. I can't stop listening to this new song.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new song not blowing me away on first listen.. sounds similar to a couple of songs on Slave Ambient.

I'd definitely be up for catching a tour date- never seen them before.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

London Koko May 27 2014
Academy 2 Manchester May 28 2014
The Button Factory Dublin May 29 2014
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I saw them at the horrible venue that is Sound Control in Manchester, and I persdonally thought were really dull. Got so bored I went home after 45 mins. One paced, dreary sound, vocals weak. The album (Slave Ambient) I enjoyed.

Not botthering with them this time around
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

you might be right.. just checked out some live clips on youtube and didn't seem that great. however I believe in giving every band a chance, so would be up for catching them if they play in my area
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Horses for courses and all that... I saw them in Glasgow during the Slave Ambient tour and I thought they were brilliant live. So much energy and joy on stage, and they did a great job of translating the Slave Ambient pieces to a 4-man rock band format.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

New album streaming here http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =285907389

I'm a big fan of Slave Ambient and really enjoyed seeing them live, but on first listen of this I'm left feeling underwhelmed.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Stereogum has a review of the album here: http://www.stereogum.com/1669001/premat ... valuation/

and a long interview with the band here:

http://www.stereogum.com/1668412/throug ... interview/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:Stereogum has a review of the album here: http://www.stereogum.com/1669001/premat ... valuation/

and a long interview with the band here:

http://www.stereogum.com/1668412/throug ... interview/
thanks for that! was a nice long article to get my teeth into.

gonna listen to the stream when I get a chance. really looking forward to this.
clewsr- I personally found Slave Ambient VERY much a grower so I would keep trying!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've been listening to a leak of it for a week now- i was pretty underwhelmed during the first listen, but each time i listen to it i like it more and more. makes sense since that's what happened with 'slave ambient' as well.

one problem, i think, is the pristine production- 'slave ambient' had really smooth production, but it still had a lot of warmth and on 'lost in the dream' the warmth is kind of gone, which is a shame as it would really suit the songs nicely. i'm a bit of a sucker for really wistful and reflective-sounding stuff so i really like the album- it definitely falls under that category for me.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I picked this up at lunchtime today. As an artifact it is a very nice thing, two big slabs of purple marbled heavyweight vinyl (sadly the download only provides MP3s) in a moody sleeve. I have to say that it didn't fare well on first playing as I also bought the new Dean Wareham record which is a stunner. It took me about six months to appreciate Slave Ambient and I'm guessing that this will be true for the latest LP.

EDIT: I have played this through a couple of times now and am rather more impressed than I was on initially listening to the LP. I get the feeling that it is a good double LP that could have been a great single album. There are points when it meanders a bit and looses my attention. I suspect that this view may change with more listening, as I begin to appreciate and understand the aspects of the LP that aren't working for me. I've really enjoyed the record thus far though and it is certainly worth a little effort to get into. I had the same experience with 'Slave Ambient' which is a record I don't often feel the need to play yet is a record I always enjoy immensely when I play it ( :roll: if that makes any sense).
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Yet to pick up the 2xLP - and hoping shops here have the ltd purple edition, else I'll order through Piccadilly recs.
I was a bit underwhelmed on first listen too, I agree it seems to be a grower. I felt it maybe sounds a bit 'too 80s' in parts, but there are some very strong songs on that album. I think I'm yet to fully adjust to the different production, and I sort of miss the warmer and hazier sound from 'Slave Ambient' too. I like the atmospheric and meandering bits, I think they help bridge the gap from 'Slave Ambient'.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I'm really surprised by the amount of praise this album gets, to my ears it sounds like dire straits' on every street album: weak songs that drag on too long with shit lyrics sung by a shit singer. But it's probably just me, I also think that slave ambient sounds like tom petty outtakes with too much reverb...
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Anyone know if this lp is 45rpm or 33rpm?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:Anyone know if this lp is 45rpm or 33rpm?
It is a 33 Alan. Nice purple vinyl too.....
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

beaker73 wrote:I'm really surprised by the amount of praise this album gets, to my ears it sounds like dire straits' on every street album: weak songs that drag on too long with shit lyrics sung by a shit singer. But it's probably just me, I also think that slave ambient sounds like tom petty outtakes with too much reverb...
I take the Tom Petty thing about Slave Ambient. Not sure about the Dire Straits similarity, but there you go.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks Olan.
I love the first 4 Tom Petty/Heartbreakers records. Especially the first two.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

beaker73 wrote:I'm really surprised by the amount of praise this album gets, to my ears it sounds like dire straits' on every street album: weak songs that drag on too long with shit lyrics sung by a shit singer. But it's probably just me, I also think that slave ambient sounds like tom petty outtakes with too much reverb...
+1

The song An Ocean in Between the Waves is a new wave-version of Sultans of Swing.To much retro and Springsteen for my taste.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I'm glad someone else said it before me.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I never understood the hype of this band. Didn't do anything for me, but after this thread, I was going to revisit. Hmm
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Among other reasons this is a new one for me to like this band.
A great Waterboys cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71Yb0fderc

Oh yeah, the last album was great too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

really enjoying this new album myself. have given it a few spins and it's growing on me.
I can see where people are coming from with the criticisms. he does walk a fine line but he rarely crosses that line (one exception is Disappearing on this album where I can almost see the dry ice and headbands :) )... I really like what he's doing, mixing commercial 80's rock with subtle spacerock touches. it's got even subtler on this album, but it's still there. there are still passages of gorgeous ambience but they are integrated into the songs more.

it's quite a lowkey album really, with Red Eyes the only thing that could be described as upbeat. it also seems quite wistful and reflective (as said above). I just really like the atmosphere this album generates.
he's come a long way from Wagonwheel Blues (which seems gritty as fuck now compared to this album!)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont really get the critical comparisons in this thread either. Its not challenging, i'll give you that but it is still a great listen. Some songs are anthemic which is probably why AG was a fan of This Is The Sea era Waterboys.
Dire Straits? They absolutely ooze boring. This record isn't boring. To me anyway.
Tom Petty? Not nearly as nasal. Nor Rickenbackerey.
Sometimes not everything I listen to needs to be challenging.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I don't mind a little Tom Petty, but have to draw the line at Chris de Burgh.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runaway wrote:I don't mind a little Tom Petty, but have to draw the line at Chris de Burgh.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I can see some of the critique about Tom Petty, but don't get the Dire Straits thing. However, Chris De Burgh???? Are you sure you got the right LP?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Still very funny though. :lol:

I was debating whether to buy this after all, but then a friend kindly solved me the problem by getting me the vinyl for my birthday. Have to say it sounds much much better on record, but some parts sail way too far into AOR MOR dull blandness.

I prefer it to the last Kurt Vile record though. I still don't get all the praise heaped on it. I even went back and gave it repeated listens but I just can't see anything there that makes it in any way distinctive.

For me this one song is a mile better than anything on either album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dplgj9AxNKY#t=312
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

True.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

clewsr wrote:I prefer it to the last Kurt Vile record though. I still don't get all the praise heaped on it. I even went back and gave it repeated listens but I just can't see anything there that makes it in any way distinctive.
/watch?v=Dplgj9AxNKY#t=312
i was in the same mindset after a few listens. i was underwhelmed and wondering if i too was missing something, i really was let down and discouraged. i ended up putting it on the shelf until a few days ago...i am now completely sold on it, dare i say i even prefer it to 'smoke ring...' it just has so many wonderful bits on it (the organ on 'girl called alex' the gorgeous transition on 'pure pain' the lyrics on 'wakin on a pretty daze' and c'mon 'air bud' is such a treat of a song!). i think (most) of the tracks work really well and the lead work is just lovely on this record. as for being distinctive, hmmm to me he sounds just like kurt vile. of course we can both point out influences and homages but i think he's carved a unique place in current music, he's got that laid back no-bullshit-let's-keep-it-real vibe that rock music needs again more BJM less Dandy Warhol's. hopefully one day you give the album another spin and it's able to move you.

as for the war on drugs...we just saw them the other night at a really nice venue here in pgh. it's a converted church. the sound was great overall from where we were sitting but i could have used just a little more sax in the mix personally. as for the songs, i really found myself zoning out most of the time(and uhhh not in a good way :wink: ). i found myself more interested watching the video screens which for some reason would have a live feed from above the drummers head for large periods of time. anyways the two tracks that they played from slave ambient seem to go down best with the crowd even though one was played way too fast. i blame the drum machine. most of the show they got caught in that mid-tempo pace, it just killed any momentum they did have. and so many of the songs they played seemed to have a very similar progression and structure. lastly, as my girlfriend said when we were leaving "i just really liked the cover of 'mind games'. yeah that was the highlight of a dull night for sure.

here's a great kv track if you've not heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLBvTQwyO8o
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

That is a nice track. But still nothing I can get overly excited about.

Posting this for info, http://pitchfork.com/news/54494-check-o ... ind-games/

But to me it seems to confirm your comments about the live show, Mr Pale blue eyes. It seems to have mid set lull written all over it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I absolutely love this album. I'm hearing shades of Dire Straits and 80s Pink Floyd and all kinds of MOR nonsense in its DNA on top of the obvious Dylan and Springsteen influences, yet the album transcends it all and produces something new yet familiar and timeless too. "Eyes To The Wind" is now playing. Oh, it's gorgeous...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

this article makes some good points http://voidlive.com/music/the-war-on-dr ... the-dream/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

still loving this album. very much a grower. there's a lot of detail in the production and still a lot of spaciness buried in there.. some gorgeous tremolo sounds.

love the final song 'In Reverse', just a perfect song to finish off the record.