lyrics help

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

obvvv
New user

lyrics help

Post by obvvv »

hey there guys, anyone know what the backing vocals are saying in the song "i am what i am"? i coudnt figure it out.
PopeJez
Known user

Re: lyrics help

Post by PopeJez »

Hey, tell us about it
Hey, tell us some more
Hey, tell us about it J
We've heard that all before
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

One of my favorites from the album, and those backing vocals are the best part. One of J's best uses of the gospel choir.
obvvv
New user

Post by obvvv »

thanks for the lyrics, PopeJez, much appreciated.
yes, jadams501, it is one of my favorites from the album as well. great album, my favorite of 2012.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I think it's one of those perfect Spiritualized songs. Clever wordplay (reminds me of I Think I'm In Love in that respect) with fantastic fuzzy music. There's a BBC session version of it from years ago that was no where near as good.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

PopeJez wrote: There's a BBC session version of it from years ago that was no where near as good.
Yeah - it was on Mary Ann Hobb's Breezeblock dated 1998 on my version. The tune is really simple and boring, while the pace is too fast and makes the lyrics hard to discern properly. Definitely for completists only, and if you're a massive fan of the song it's so different and unimpressive, you'll likely think WTF?! when you hear it - I certainly did.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

ooh, I love the earlier one, I love them both.
different vibe, different energy.

it is the lyrics that win in the end I think.. you could put them in a burlap sack and they'd still sound great!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote: it is the lyrics that win in the end I think.. you could put them in a burlap sack and they'd still sound great!
I agree the lyrics are great. What really surprised me about the 98 version was how that song went so fast the lyrics are unintelligible in places, due to the speed of delivery. Hence I could see why that version was never properly recorded, as the tune was not a worthy delivery vehicle for those words.

Maybe there is more than one early version, as the one I have has a very dull tune. The whole song, both verses and chorus, is just a I > IV chord progression, repeated over and over with absolutely no change in dynamics nor anything else to make the music interesting.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

what about lyrics to 'A Song' then ?