Process Music Marathon

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

Process Music Marathon

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm hosting a Process Music "Orgy" on WHRB 95.3 FM for those in boston, www.whrb.org for those not in Boston, this Sunday and Monday from roughly 11am - 8 pm eastern standard time both times.

"Orgies" are when the station, for two weeks in the winter and two weeks in the spring, instead of running normal programming runs large blocks of music all tied around one central theme. Supposedly started in the early 50s when a student DJ burst into the station after his final exams were completed and proceeded to play all the Beethoven Symphonies completely and consecutively.

I got selected to produce an orgy for this year's orgy's season. (funny typing that). The theme will process/generative music (the conceit is "from bach to basinski") - Fugues, loops, fractals, feedback, modular synthesizers, tapes, pendulums, disintegration and more.

Will feature work by
JS Bach
William Basinski
Brian Eno
Laurie Spiegel
Alvin Lucier
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Steve Reich
Terry Riley
M Geddes Gengras (Sun Araw collaborator)
Sonic Youth (performing Steve Reich)
Katarina Miljkovic
Maybe even Lou Reed (It's a little bit of a stretch to fit it into the theme, but I'm thinking of playing MMM during the time when the station would normally be broadcasting "Sunday Night at the Opera" just to mess with the normal listeners a little :twisted: )

Should be pretty fun! Tune in if you're interested. Hoping to do a spacemen 3/spectrum/spiritualized/ear one next semester, maybe a modular synthesizer only one at some point in the future.
ro
Known user

Re: Process Music Marathon

Post by ro »

Thanks for the heads up!
will try to tune in online.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Oops times I posted are slightly off - 1230 - 10 pm on Sunday, 10am - 6pm on Monday. Close enough though.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Really digging that William Basinski, thanks!