Crimbo Goodies

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Crimbo Goodies

Post by TheWarmth »

Ok, so what did Santa drop off yesterday? My best gift was a 4xLP MFSL 45rpm pressing of Blonde On Blonde. Super psyched about that one. Apparently, I have some more vinyl coming that didn't arrive in time, too.
PopeJez
Known user

Re: Crimbo Goodies

Post by PopeJez »

Mary Chain vinyl collection. Loving it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Flaming Lips - "Clouds Taste Metallic", "Soft Bulletin" & "Yoshimi..."
Belle & Sebastian - "Third Eye Centre"
Gary Davis & Ralph Jones - "Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook"

Plus money, various vouchers and assorted items of clothing.

Also some crap I don't want eg chocolate orange, but perfect fodder for "re-gifting", so can't complain ;-)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A couple records, a book and we bought membership to a local indie cinema house.

My father also gave me a bottle of Angel's Envy bourbon and we both had a glass last night after Christmas dinner. Good lord, is it good! Scarily good. I don't want to drink it too fast but man, it is some of, if not THE best bourbon, I have ever had.
4_bottle_bourbon.png
4_bottle_bourbon.png (65.21 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:A couple records, a book and we bought membership to a local indie cinema house.

My father also gave me a bottle of Angel's Envy bourbon and we both had a glass last night after Christmas dinner. Good lord, is it good! Scarily good. I don't want to drink it too fast but man, it is some of, if not THE best bourbon, I have ever had.
4_bottle_bourbon.png
Ooh, I'll have to check that out. Basil Hayden has been my best friend of late and of course Jim Beam too. :)

My pressies came earlier in the year, summer time actually. :lol: The Bob Dylan Mono Vinyl Box Set and The Velvet Underground Verve/MGM Sundazed Box Set. I did get a Starbucks card and the annual Hallmark Christmas ornament this time with frogs singing which is awesome. She wanted to buy me an acoustic guitar, and frankly I'm glad she didn't. I'm a lucky guy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote:
Ooh, I'll have to check that out. Basil Hayden has been my best friend of late and of course Jim Beam too. :)
Oh yes, you must search this one out, brother! My dad had a bottle of Blanton's bourbon over Thanksgiving, which blew me away too. But, I think this Angels Envy is even better than the Blanton's. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with either.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:
Minky wrote:
Oh yes, you must search this one out, brother! My dad had a bottle of Blanton's bourbon over Thanksgiving, which blew me away too. But, I think this Angels Envy is even better than the Blanton's. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with either.
Very cool, thanks. Will do...off to the liquor store tomorrow. :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Grateful Dead box set of Sunshine Daydream CD + DVD would be my pick of Santa's goodies. Well happy with that. Also an incredible bottle of Pineau des Charentes. And some cool Breaking Bad merch.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Grateful Dead box set of Sunshine Daydream CD + DVD would be my pick of Santa's goodies. Well happy with that.
Has the film been restored or is it just its first official release? Is there a booklet with it too?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:Grateful Dead box set of Sunshine Daydream CD + DVD would be my pick of Santa's goodies. Well happy with that.
Has the film been restored or is it just its first official release? Is there a booklet with it too?
3 CDs, 1 DVD, cool looking booklet, numbered, in a tie-dye patterned box. 1st official release. Haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet - which they say has been remastered - but the CDs sound superb.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Angel's Envy? Interesting, I haven't heard of that one. Blanton's is spectacular, so if you say A.E. is better, I better look for it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Angel's Envy? Interesting, I haven't heard of that one. Blanton's is spectacular, so if you say A.E. is better, I better look for it.
Blanton's is indeed spectacular. Check out this Angel's Envy...you wont be disappointed (although, it was a pressie so I do not know how much it cost).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Very pleased to get Neil Young's "Live at the Cellar Door" on vinyl from my parents, especially when I saw that it had sold out in my local record store as well as a lot of other independents. My girlfriend got me the Jonathan Wilson "Fanfare" LP on lovely light blue double vinyl. Had to ask her to get it after the all the praise it's been getting on this board.

With the gift vouchers I got, i treated myself to three LPs yesterday... Endless Boogie's "Long Island", Follakzoid's "II" and Mathew E White's "Big Inner".

Very happy with my Chrimbo records and 2013 as a whole music wise. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It was unexpected, but my dad got me a Korg Little Bits kit. If you don't know what it is, check out the videos on YouTube. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly play with it, but it's super fun!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Massive Attacks ' Mezzanine on vinyl which I asked for, The Pixies' Doolittle and Bossanova which I didn't.

Walking Dead Series 3 Blu-Ray and Idiot Abroad boxset

A flight to Berlin!

A stinking fucking cold.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:My girlfriend got me the Jonathan Wilson "Fanfare" LP on lovely light blue double vinyl. Had to ask her to get it after the all the praise it's been getting on this board.
Actually, I think the board seems quite split on this album. Myself, Runcible and Beaker being the most vocal fans of it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. A word of warning though...it is a grower. There were a few songs I was unsure about at first (including the opening track and the single. "Love to Love") but, with every listen I warmed to it more and more and now love the record from start to finish.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i got more than i expected i would and a few forgotten ones from old wishlists-

nirvana- 'in utero' 3xlp (which came with a download code for a really great vinyl rip)
abner jay mississippi records comp
brmc- 'howl sessions'
windy & carl- 'we will always be' (got two copies of that one due to some confusion)
brian eno- 'lux'

i also got a handful of various gift cards and my dad gave me one of those pre-loaded credit cards that i'm going to use to buy the supplies to start home brewing.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Velvets-White Light/White deluxe edition, not as jam packed as the first album affair last year but still some great stuff in it.
OM-Pilgram or is is it Pilgramage whichever ! on CD anyway
First Communion Afterparty's new album on LP with download from the states,
Goat Live LP (no download code which is a blow)
4AD book-facing the other way. Looks an absolute tomb so looking forward to getting to grips with that
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

A 5-hour DVD compilation of "The Essential Ernest," starring Jim Varney as our favorite Tennessee bumpkin.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote: First Communion Afterparty's new album on LP with download from the states,
I remember this band from 2006 or so. Bunch of art school kids from Minneapolis, right? I have a song of theirs on a comp somewhere. Wasn't there also some connection or link with one of the chicks and Matt Hollywood of BJM?

Amazed to see they are still around and recording.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I got given:-
The Groundhogs- Split
Panda Bear- Tomboy

and then with an amazon voucher I received I got:-
Live Skull- Bringing Home the Bait
Grand Funk Railroad- Live
Bob Dylan Chord Songbook
Aquarian-Time wrote:Velvets-White Light/White deluxe edition, not as jam packed as the first album affair last year but still some great stuff in it.
OM-Pilgram or is is it Pilgramage whichever ! on CD anyway
would love to hear some more details about that Velvets boxset. I am tempted by it but don't know whether to get the full shebang or just the 2CD version which has just some extra tracks and the Gymnasium show.
and it's Pilgrimmage- great album!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

A little late but got a couple of special edition blu-rays am really pleased about. Am quite obsessed with all things Hammer Films and managed to get special editions of The Mummy and The Evil Of Frankenstein. :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I got a bonsai and some Norwich City coasters, but I guess they don't really count for this thread...

Don't get old.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

We got the "There's A Dream I've Been Saving: Lee Hazlewood Industries 1966-71" box set for Xmas. Very nice!! We already had most of the actual Lee stuff, but the other artists from his label I hadn't really heard before. Great stuff!! Haven't had chance to watch the Cowboy in Sweden DVD yet. Light in the Attic are doing a great job with these releases.

Ste
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Bought myself a Spin-Clean with Amazon gift cards I got from work as part of my Xmas bonus.

Sunday I cleaned about 30 records, this was the first:

PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Nice! Does it make a big difference once they have been cleaned?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I didn't get a fucking thing, but I bought my 13-year-old son a Reverend Kingbolt guitar and an Orange amp. Loudest Christmas ever!

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Reverend guitars are solid! Good pick. I'm sure he'll love it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

davedecay wrote:Bought myself a Spin-Clean with Amazon gift cards I got from work as part of my Xmas bonus.
Sunday I cleaned about 30 records, this was the first:
Dave, I have had my Spin-Clean for about 2 years now. I wrote about it in this forum too ("Record Care" thread). For the money I think it is great and whenever I buy a handful of used records I always play them first then I clean them and play again and the difference is VERY noticeable. It can make a "VG+" record move up to "Near Mint" and a "G" record into VG category. Have to say, on a Sunday afternoon I really enjoy choosing and cleaning about 30 or so albums then listening to them throughout the week. One of my ways to relax before the start of the week!

My only warning...careful with the labels. In the early days of owning my Spin Clean I ruined a couple labels from solution dripping down. Now, I dry the center of the album first then dry the records.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

that SPZ is the Plain reissue, and when I played it straight from the sealed sleeve, it was noisier than I expected.

i haven't had the chance to listen again since i cleaned it, but i'm hoping it sounds better.

i have been careful with the labels - thanks for the heads-up.