Phil Everly

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nogoodboyo
Known user

Phil Everly

Post by nogoodboyo »

One of the all time greats.
Am I the only one to mark his passing?
simonkeeping
Known user

Re: Phil Everly

Post by simonkeeping »

I'm with you. So sad to read about him passing away. God speed Phil
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Listen to this incredible cover of 'Mr. Soul' produced by Jack Nitzsche:

O P 8
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Horrible version, despite the presence of Ry Cooder. There are so many better songs that demonstrate the beauty of the brother's harmonies. RIP Phil.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I rather enjoyed it. Especially with the back up singers.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

There's no way that song does any justice to Neil Young or the Everlys. Come on.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its a cover. It is pretty different than Neil's version. I liked it. Shoot me.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Listen and learn.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Learn what?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

The difference between irrelevant shit and something of beauty.
I'm not one to cry tears of loss in these memorial threads, but when someone posts some obscure, third-rate cover song and holds it up as an "incredible" example of the deceased artist's work, then I'll exercise my right to an opinion.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That is your opinion. My opinion is that it was a nice cover of a classic Neil Young track.
Excellent guitar work with great back up vocals and probably released in the early 70's when doing covers was de riguer.
Not only that Neil Young inducted the Everly Brothers into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame which adds added significance.
Or maybe my opinion doesn't count?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I look forward to your opinion as I do the others on this board. Maybe I was being harsh - but that version was lackluster for me.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runaway wrote:The difference between irrelevant shit and something of beauty.
I'm not one to cry tears of loss in these memorial threads, but when someone posts some obscure, third-rate cover song and holds it up as an "incredible" example of the deceased artist's work, then I'll exercise my right to an opinion.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Where do I even start... I was initially pretty cheered to see the post count had increased quite a bit on this thread, how disappointing to find that actually Runaway had once again decided to shit over a thread for his own petty gratification - presumably.
runaway wrote:There's no way that song does any justice to Neil Young or the Everlys. Come on.
Come on? You know what - I actually rate the Everlys version higher than any version I've ever heard of Neil Young's - seriously. Horses for courses and all, but when I read that bit about Phil, that was the one song I though of. That's one song that I can never bring to take of my portable device or whatever, it's magical.
runaway wrote:The difference between irrelevant shit and something of beauty.
Yeah well you know what, I'll exercise my right to state that I think your opinion is less than worthless, or...
runaway wrote: Irrelevant shit
That works for me too.

And - obscure? Not really - I first heard it on the second volume of the Jack Nitzsche retrospective Hard Workin' Man - The Story of Jack Nitzsche Vol 2, a 2006 Ace release which is generally available. There were also at least two YouTube links when I went to post it here so perhaps my definition of 'obscure' differs from yours - if so, please don't enlighten me, I couldn't care less...

According to the sleeve notes of the above compilation, it states that in the very early post Buffalo Springfield days NY fancied starting himself off as a songwriter for other artists. You may be interested to note that NY actually wrote 'Expecting To Fly' for The Everly Brothers - and only recorded the song himself as Jack Nitzsche insisted on it. It appears the Everlys also recorded another version of 'Mr. Soul' with another producer too - they clearly loved that song, and I bet NY loved their take on it too.
runaway wrote:Horrible version, despite the presence of Ry Cooder. There are so many better songs that demonstrate the beauty of the brother's harmonies....
Really? I'm sure most here have heard 'All I Have To Do Is Dream' or 'Bye Bye Love' or whatever, but listen to their close singing harmonies on 'Mr. Soul' - that's astonishing. For me that's a great example of the "beauty of the brother's harmonies" as any. Coupled with the great guitar work and spine-chilling backing vocals (presumably Merry Clayton), that shit is astonishing!

Don't like it? Fine. But I think it's pretty disrespectful to air your grievances in such a vindictive manner and turn this thread into a pissing contest about who can post the best YouTube clip....

Fuck's sake. :roll:
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I really like this lovely song from the Roots album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w70F7N_Wd5g which I gave an airing on the radio earlier this week.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Wow, did it really take a week for you to come up with all that? I'll bet you're impressed.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yep, just as impressed as I was to see you once again derailing a thread for your own personal amusement, or whatever it is that you like to "do".

I also note you failed to respond to a single comment I made. Says it all really.
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

'Let It Be Me', one of my all time favourite songs. Beautiful. We can agree on that I'm sure.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'll agree with that James.

Hey Johnny! That's a great track - that almost sounds like the Byrds or something. Is your radio show available online or anything?

(And do you take requests?) :wink:
O P 8
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

BzaInSpace wrote:Yep, just as impressed as I was to see you once again derailing a thread for your own personal amusement, or whatever it is that you like to "do".

I also note you failed to respond to a single comment I made. Says it all really.
I felt I already explained myself fairly well. I don't know why you're dragging it out - maybe still butthurt that I didn't like your choice of Everly Brothers' song?

And yes, Let It Be Me is a song that perhaps captures perfectly what they did so well.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"Butthurt" :roll:

I couldn't give a shit about whether you liked my choice of Everlys song or not - what I'm calling you out for you is your unnecessarily vitriolic approach in stating so.

I have been unable to reply until today, so I felt your own bullshit should be condemned with the disrespect it deserves.

Plus, it's not like this is the first time you've dumped over a thread for your own twisted reasons.

You're awesome.
O P 8
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Are you still made cuz I said I hated the MC5?
:twisted:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

What???

I can only think you've confused me for somebody else. :?

Back to the shadows you go...
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Amen to that BZA. That for me is the definitive version of Mr Soul. Like all the best music it blurs the lines of so many styles and takes you somewhere that few songs can.

And Johnny Boy fantastic choice, thanks for posting. Roots is one of my favorite albums ever - I always feel sad when that track finishes, like a sunset, somehow it never lasts long enough.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I didn't know much about the Everly Brothers except the influence their close harmony style had on later artists in the 1960s. The only song of theirs I knew was "Bye Bye Love" from the cover on Bridge Over Troubled Water.

However when watching Simon & Garfunkel in Hyde Park in 2004, I was pleasantly surprised when the Everlys were introduced by Paul Simon about 1/3 of the way into their set. I had seen the Everlys billed on my ticket but had assumed they were a support act I'd missed.

Instead they came on with an intro about how influential the Everly's unique style was in getting Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel together making music in their early teens (remember Simon & Garfunkel first appeared on US tv in the late fifties as "Tom & Jerry" singing Paul Simon's song Hey Schoolgirl on American Bandstand).

The Everlys then did a few songs on there own (with S&G's backing band) and their voices were quite impressive considering their age. Both were also strumming guitars, though I'm not too sure how much of that actually made it into the main mix.

Anyways it was a nice and unexpected bonus during the long and impressively comprehensive set performed by Simon & Garfunkel, and it gave me a new insight into one of the strongest influences on one of my favourite bands. I might not have been impressed enough to go out and buy an album (though I'd have no idea where to start if I wanted) but it made me more attuned to and aware of the Everly Brothers so as to have a better understanding of their importance and influence in the formative years of rock'n'roll/popular music.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:I'll agree with that James.

Hey Johnny! That's a great track - that almost sounds like the Byrds or something. Is your radio show available online or anything?

(And do you take requests?) :wink:
It is very Byrds like isn't it, like Draft Morning from the Notorious Byrds album. Glad you like it, and you too Simon. Roots is a fantastic album. As Simon says the track is too short but probably perfect for it.

I do a guest slot on a friends radio show every so often. Can be found here www.shipfullofbombs.co.uk. All shows can be found in the Podcast section, scroll through for the "Curlybird" specials with Dan Newman and Birdy (that's my nickname, and he's the Curly part). He tends to play more modern 'current' sounds and I'll play anything from Thee Oh Sees to Lynn Collins. There's a load of childish banter, rudeness and funny chat which we seem to be getting a rep for. All the other shows are cool too so go check it out.