New Spiritualized Reissues

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

New Spiritualized Reissues

Post by toomilk »

Good news for those who don't have original Spz vinyl -

Runt, the company that distributes Plain/Fire reissues has a small "Coming in 2014" section on their website that includes Let it Come Down, Live at Royal Albert Hall, and FUCKED UP INSIDE, so I'd safely say we can expect 180-gram reissues of these gems.

EDIT: Link - http://www.runtshop.com/
good dope/good fun
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized Reissues

Post by good dope/good fun »

The Turntable Lab has the reissue of Lazer Guided Melodies for sale.
I was unaware that it was already reissued.

http://turntablelab.com/products/spirit ... s-180g-2lp
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'll buy fucked up inside but I'll forget the others. I don't expect the quality to be great as I've been informed again recently by someone involved with a band they reissued that theirs were mastered from cd which just seems weird to me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Good Dope...it was reissued since at least 2010, maybe even 2009. LGM and Pure Phase were done first, then LAGWAFIS.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I had 2 records in my saved cart there, noticed they had bumped up the prices since I added them

In my case the 'packaging flaws' price was $16.19, now it's gone up to $21.58 (over 5 bucks) so I quickly checked out and got the 10% discount (qty 2-3), saving nearly $10 off the pair.

I grabbed
Lazer Guided Melodies (180 Gram Vinyl)
and
Vanishing Point (180 Gram Vinyl)

Now I'm hoping they don't sound bad...
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I listened to the Plain reissue of LGM v the original today and I think it sounds fine. The colours of the inner sleeves and the photos of the band aren't as good but the vinyl sounds good to me.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I wonder where they're mastering Fucked Up Inside from?

The original vinyl was crap, a very quiet pressing indeed.

Somebody robbed my CD from a house I lived in during my lost years. I'd love a decent vinyl of that record.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I really like FUI on vinyl. Quiet, yes but the quality is really good. The drums sound amazing.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

my local shop just got Royal Albert Hall 2LP in (original pressing) for $40.

http://instagram.com/p/jPFw2TxuaR/#

i am so tempted. i have a $25 gift certificate. these go for $50+ online.

i'm going tomorrow night, if it's still there (good stuff sells fast), i'm going to be sorely tempted.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

natty wrote:I wonder where they're mastering Fucked Up Inside from?

They can feel free to use the 2011 BZA Remaster - but I'm guessing it'll be the original, presumably digitized, vinyl masters which yes, is one of the quietest ever modern era recordings I can think of. I'm all for keeping a bit of space in the mix and that, but that was way too quiet...
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

An original for $40? I'd go for it!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:
natty wrote:I wonder where they're mastering Fucked Up Inside from?

They can feel free to use the 2011 BZA Remaster - but I'm guessing it'll be the original, presumably digitized, vinyl masters which yes, is one of the quietest ever modern era recordings I can think of. I'm all for keeping a bit of space in the mix and that, but that was way too quiet...
I agree that in the greater scheme of things it was too quiet, but what I like is that during the mid nineties Jason was experimenting with new and innovative ways of doing things musically.

The pinnacle of this achievement for me is the amazing effort made in producing the album Pure Phase with a completely separate mix in the left and right channels, which still produces remarkable stereo imaging - showing how much painstaking attention to detail was paid to the production of that album - both in the writing and recording of the tracks, then the superlative mixdown procedure - all contributing to a technically and artistically unique body of work, the superiority of which I don't think has since been equalled nor surpassed.

Hence my willingness to forgive what so many perceive to be a failing, in terms of the unique sound Jason gives Fucked Up Inside, as the album as it stands sounds unlike anything else I own - and I would say that applies equally to my CD version and my vinyl copy (which admittedly I have only heard two or three times). I think I preferred hearing it on vinyl, but that's a very subjective opinion as it was heard on someone else's hifi, and at the time I was just excited to be getting the chance to hear some of the previously unheard rare vinyl I'd bought on eBay as collectors items as much as anything.

Whilst I appreciate recording budgets now are nowhere near the '90s level for a band like Spiritualized, I'd really love it if Jason was to pursue these type of sonic innovations on his future output. Actually I'd be really happy if the next album sounded something like that Cut Copy cover he did recently!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

update at the runt shop site, preorder available:

Artists Name: Spiritualized
Title: Royal Albert Hall, October 10, 1997 Live (limited Edition 180 Gram Vinyl)
Limited Edition: Only 3000 Total Pressed
Format: LP
Price: $39.98 (All prices include shipping.)
Availability: Not Currently In Stock
Label: PLAIN
Release Date: 06/17/2014

(2-LP set) Recorded during a stop at the Royal Albert Hall on the 1997 UK tour in support of "Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" this double album features the band at their peak as a performing unit and the recording captures all the intense power and epic majesty of J. Spaceman and company live. The group is joined by a horn section, a string quartet and a gospel choir on the second half of the concert. Reissued on 180 gram vinyl with custom fluorescent Euro inner sleeves in a wide spine jacket with holographic rainbow foil. Limited edition of 3,000.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

FUI:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2014/0 ... e-reissue/

This fall, Plain Recordings will reissue Spiritualized’s 1993 live album Fucked Up Inside — originally released as a 1,000-copy mail-order edition — on 180-gram vinyl in a reproduction of the original silver foil-embossed sleeve. The new edition of the seven-track live album will be limited to 3,000 copies, the label announced this morning.

Fucked Up Inside, the first live record from Jason Pierce’s ongoing post-Spacemen 3 concern, was recorded in November 1992 at the Palladium in Los Angeles and the Warfield in San Francisco during the tour in support of the band’s debut that year, Lazer Guided Melodies.

Tracklist: Spiritualized, Fucked Up Inside

1. “Take Good Care Of It”
2. “I Want You”
3. “Medication”
4. “Angel Sigh”
5. “Walking With Jesus”
6. “Shine A Light”
7. “Smiles”
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

The vinyl editions of Fucked Up Inside and Let It Come Down are both available for preorder on runtshop.com, release date for both is listed as 7/15/14, a month later than the Royal Albert Hall vinyl. $100 pre-well spent!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I just saw that, too.

Each is a limited pressing of 3,000.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Does anyone know if its on preorder anywhere in the UK?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Picked up the Royal Albert Hall reissue yesterday. $35 bucks. Sticker says it's a limited edition run of 3,000.

The packaging is virtually the same as the original. Same hologram effect of the text and red sleeves. Just some differences in the text. The labels on the vinyl are red, whereas they are white on the original. Same kind of format, just slightly different text and a Sony logo on it.

The biggest standout: the cover text on the reissue is slightly bigger than the reissue and the orthophoto of London is at a much lower resolution than the original. The original is crisp and clean...the reissue not so much...

The heavier vinyl is nice. Mine plays fine and sounds good. It's going to be my "beater" copy.

Interesting to note: Wasn't the original a run of 3,000 also?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Also, Let It Come Down and FUI are still available for presale on runtshop.com. If you live in the US, you can get both (with free shipping) for $61.38.

However, the release date has been pushed back to August 19th. :?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I shouldn't have snoozed on that Royal Albert Hall original for 40 in my local shop. Still kicking myself.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got an email saying that FUI and LICD have shipped!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Anyone in the UK stocking these?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Has anyone already recieved their copy of F#%ked up inside? And if so, how does it sound?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

I must say I am not super optimistic about the sound quality of these. Just compared the LGM versions. Here is how I would rate them:

Original vinyl: 10.0. .... only because best version available.
1992 cd: 9.3 ....... I have a good cd transport, oppo 105, and it is presents a pretty decent soundstage and dynamic range. Compared to my original vinyl, not bad and without the few pops and scratches
Plain vinyl reissue: 8.6..... doesn't even have the range of cd pressing. Yes it sounds more "clean" than the orignal, but more compressed, and not even the 3D of the Cd on my system.

That being said, still ordered FUI. Mostly out of curiosity, Even though I own an orignal, passed on the others.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Cheers for that review. I don't think I'll bother with this reissue then. Maybe the originals will drop in price because of the reissues :D
Untill that time I'll make do with my flacs of the original cd and the remaster I got round here (was it bza's? sorry, can't remember right now). Which sounds great, btw!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got the LICD and FUI reissues this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to listen, but I'll post something when I have.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Runt has Royal Albert Hall for $32 shipped with 'packaging flaws' - I have purchased vinyl from them under this category, and it's been fine.

LICD is $31.43 shipped, marked down from $36.98. This one is not flawed, just on sale. Maybe not moving at the higher price?

FUI is still $29.98.

I think I remember if you buy several titles, they discount further.

I put those 3 in my cart, and the discount is 10%.

Adding a 4th record increases the discount to 15%.

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

FUCKED UP INSIDE

From a visual standpoint, there is nothing that makes the reissue stand out from the original. The only difference is the original has slightly more of a vivid red than the reissue and the reissue has different copyright info at the bottom of the back. Other than that, there is nothing that pops out. I would even go as far as to say that the reissue SLEEVE could pass as the original to an untrained eye.

The inner sleeve is black, like the original. (Side note: It's pretty humorous at this point the similarities of the reissues. There is definitely an effort that is made to make the reissues seem like the original. I love it.) The original had a matted black paper/plastic combo inner sleeve. The upper edges were cut at an angle, which I think all of these are. I think there was no attention paid to the inner sleeve of the original other than it was black. The reissue has a square, glossy, paper-only inner sleeve that has some very small copyright info printed in white text on one side. This is what I think is funny: that something that people would regard as a standard "nothing-to-see-here" detail in the original is recreated in the reissue. I love it.

The label on the record is pretty much the same. Same color and images, just different copyright info. The most glaring difference here is that the original has "DEDLP 008 - MAIL ORDER ONLY" on it.

As for the sound of the records, I've only quickly compared the two on "Medication." I see no difference in sound, especially in regards to volume - still very low. But once again, which I've said about almost all of these Plain reissues, they are high quality. No skipping, no sloppy pressings, no blemishes on the vinyl itself.

Overall, the greatest difference is holding each record in your hands. The reissue is 180 gram and feels solid and burly. The original is much more delicate. This is a great reissue, which like the first three Plain did in that they are very, very true to the original. I feel that the worst so far is the RAH, where the aerial imagery of the cover is pixelated. FUI is beautiful.

I feel like a broken record (reissue or original? haha) about these reissues, but what I'll say is that I'll always buy these because they become my standard playing copies in order to preserve the originals. Especially with FUI, which is a delicate and rare piece of vinyl. And hey, that price is much lower than the original.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Thanks toomilk, just ordered FUI..
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

toomilk wrote:I feel like a broken record
Great review. I am sure many people appreciate it.
Led me to check the prices Fuked Up Inside has been changing hands for...
Took me by surprise...
Heavy Tourism
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

My reissue FUI has arrived from the US, unfortunately the disc has been bouncing around inside the sleeves as it has caused a split in both the top and bottom of the outer sleeve as well as obviously the inner sleeve. Arse.

Great pressing though, but im not sure if its massively quiet volume-wise. What I am sure of is that it hasn't been compressed to buggery by the mastering engineer!

Overall pleased, i'll try and forget about the damage to the sleeves!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

toomilk wrote:FUCKED UP INSIDE: As for the sound of the records, I've only quickly compared the two on "Medication." I see no difference in sound, especially in regards to volume - still very low. .
That's such a wasted opportunity. Did anyone actually listen to the masters before cutting to vinyl? I'd also be keen to know which masters they used - those for original vinyl, or just some lossless digital files?

Either way it's maddening - Fucked Up Inside is the quietest (not compressed) album I can think of, basically it's reproduced to disc far quietly than it should be. I do not believe this was ever intentional to be honest - wasn't Jason around that time trying to reflect the intensity of the gigs?

As some here will know, the recordings themselves are absolutely immaculate - they just need a fairly hefty boost in volume to bring the acid & electricity.

Vindaloo - good to hear from you by the way - hope you contacted the seller and asked for a replacement. That sucks!
O P 8
zipzapzopzoup
Known user

Post by zipzapzopzoup »

Hey folks,

I haven't been here in a looong time, and I had no idea these reissues existed until I stumbled across Let It Come Down after work today. The wife and I listened while making dinner tonight, and I thought it sounded pretty great, but can anyone tell me how it compares to the original issue?

Thanks!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm still waiting for fucked up inside and let it come down from Norman records in the UK. has anyone else here got them?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Do the 2010 blue vinyl Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space on Plain sound any good?

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/29043V.html

They've also got FUI for $25
http://www.oldies.com/product-view/38300V.html
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

just heard mine are set to be dispatched. Happy days.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

davedecay wrote:Do the 2010 blue vinyl Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space on Plain sound any good?

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/29043V.html

They've also got FUI for $25
http://www.oldies.com/product-view/38300V.html

Holy shit. Thanks for this. My ex-gf destroyed every single copy of LAGWAFIS I owned. I thought I'd never get the blue vinyl back. You're a savior!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Finally got my copy of FUI. Sounds great and the sleeve looks really cool, with the silver foil. Glad I got this 8)
Zapruder
New user

Post by Zapruder »

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got my copies of FUI and Royal Albert Hall in the mail today, they look pretty swanky. One caveat: my copy of RAH has two matching inner sleeves, both for the first record. Anyone else having this issue?

edit: Playing RAH now, sounds fantastic...much better than I was anticipating given the Plain association.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

So there are two more reissues coming out in Dec 2014.

Songs in A&E and Amazing Grace.

Are these on Sanctuary, not Plain?

http://exclaim.ca/News/spiritualized_tr ... l_reissues

I just won an Amazing Grace original on eBay for under $15 shipped, I should have it by Wednesday.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Ha, weird timing. I literally just received a copy of Amazing Grace two weeks ago off Discogs. I'm glad it was in great shape and sounds decent so I don't have to worry about the reissue.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Can someone with an original Amazing Grace LP help me out with verifying the dead wax inscriptions? I want to make sure mine is legit and not a pirated pressing.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Has someone actually pirated Amazing Grace on vinyl?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I doubt it, but the seller I got this from has more, and mine is mint, likely unplayed. Several of the records in his feedback list have been pirated, like Abbatoir Blues by Nick Cave.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

davedecay wrote:Can someone with an original Amazing Grace LP help me out with verifying the dead wax inscriptions? I want to make sure mine is legit and not a pirated pressing.
Assuming mine is not pirated lol

Side A: JA DERYN SANLP 214 A1
Side B: NATSt JAMIE SANLP 214 B1
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

A pity Universal isn't reissuing Amazing Grace in the original, heavyweight triple 45rpm vinyl edition. Those are probably among the best vinyl Spiritualized pressings I have. Sounds absolutely... well, amazing.

Plus the track order is completely different, good to mix things up a bit.
O P 8
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Yeah, I have those as well and you're right, they do sound great.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Vancouver wrote:
davedecay wrote:Can someone with an original Amazing Grace LP help me out with verifying the dead wax inscriptions? I want to make sure mine is legit and not a pirated pressing.

Mine matches those exactly. Thanks for your time and putting my mind at ease. This is such a lovely pressing!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

davedecay wrote:
Vancouver wrote:

Mine matches those exactly. Thanks for your time and putting my mind at ease. This is such a lovely pressing!
No worries.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Saw three different *new* Spiritualized reissues at my local record store today.

Seems like Plain has done another run of blue LAGWAFIS.

Then there's A&E on white vinyl.

And Amazing Grace on "black vinyl," says the sticker.

Didn't have the heart to buy these. What's the point of reissuing A&E. Can't you find copies of this...everywhere?!
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

toomilk wrote:Didn't have the heart to buy these. What's the point of reissuing A&E. Can't you find copies of this...everywhere?!
Absolutely not. If anything, I'd say that A&E is probably the least pressed Spiritualized full length.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I see it a lot in the US. According to this figure that I found out about in 2010 (see link below), it was their least-selling album to date. I'm sure it's higher by now, but this is before any reissues happened.

http://forum.spiritualized.me/viewtopic ... can#p83451
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

so ive stopped fucking about and started dropping serious cash on
vinyl
ive been back and forth with reissues ( buy them or not )
ive no problem waiting for the +VG cut of the originals
whats the general consensus?

reissues shit?
and very curious about Screamadelica (reissue or not)

fucked up inside indeed

ggg
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I would defintely recommened either the UK red vinyl Screamadelica 3 LP reissue w/Dixie Narco ep or the Music On Vinyl 2lp reissue.
Both excellent.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sadly, the Plain Recordings reissues (I think they did one on black vinyl and one on translucent blue) of Ladies & Gentlemen are the only ones to even consider purchasing, as the originals now cost a fortune and most of them seem to have pressing issues.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Some more reissues in the offing:

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstor ... YMI0000000

Plus the chance to win something.

:|
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
toomilk
Known user