Small Faces Box Set

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ABOCA
Known user

Small Faces Box Set

Post by ABOCA »

There’s a new Small Faces box set coming out next week from Burning Shed priced at £ 92. However, despite Burning Shed being a UK based company and the Small Faces originally being a UK band who recorded all the music included in the box set in the UK, this box set is not available to anyone in the UK.

Burning Shed have advised that this is due to “ The rights to this release specifically exclude the UK as a territory so we are unable to fulfil any orders for the UK as it stands directly from the Immediate store page. (n.b. any other UK websites advertising it are also unable to ship to the UK)”

This gets even weirder now as Amazon UK have recently advertised this box set for sale at £ 162.99 – albeit with free postage!

Nothing of this, whichever way you look at it, seems quite right.

Does anyone know of any similar cases of something like this happening?
mojo filters
Known user

Re: Small Faces Box Set

Post by mojo filters »

I do know during their career the Small Faces were signed to two separate record labels.

Up until 1967 they were signed to Decca, where they had hits such as "All or Nothing" and "Whatcha Gonna do About It". From '67 until they split they then signed to Immediate, where they had hits like "Tin Soldier" and "Lazy Sunday..." and their sound became much more psychedelic than the previous straight forward bluesy material.

I know that in the past this has caused issues when it comes to re-releasing their back catalogue. However obviously not insurmountable ones, as I have a double CD greatest hits with one disc of early Decca material and the second is all the later Immediate stuff.

Nevertheless I have read previously about complications with Small Faces reissues, and would assume this is one main cause.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
coffeepotman
Known user

Re: Small Faces Box Set

Post by coffeepotman »

So far, I believe that "The Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette" has been the best of the reissues but I can't wait for the new box, I've got it on preorder from Amazon, it's ridiculously expensive but they are one of my favs of the 60's bands.