The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

pale blue eyes
Known user

The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program

Post by pale blue eyes »

It's one of 14 on a new compilation called Space Project, which features artists incorporating space sounds into original tracks. The comp is out April 19 (for Record Store Day) and features songs by Spiritualized (under the name The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program), Beach House, Mutual Benefit, the Antlers, Blues Control, Benoit & Sergio, Porcelain Raft, and others.

The album will be available on vinyl, CD, and as a 7" box set. The space sounds were recorded during the Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 space probes. As the press release notes, "the 'sounds' recorded by the Voyager probes aren't sounds in the conventional sense; rather, they are electromagnetic radiation fluctuations in the magnetosphere of the planets, moons, and large asteroids the Voyager probes traveled near. Each celestial body is composed of different elements, has its own size and mass, and therefore sounds unique."

grrrrr, i really hate getting my Spiritualized news from Pitchfork. but anywho, this could be a really amazing track from J. the band name alone has me intrigued. can't wait for this release.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program

Post by TheWarmth »

Awesome. This should be cool. Love the band name, too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think this looks really cool! not usually bothered about Record Store Day stuff but definitely gonna try and grab a copy of this. I like a lot of the other bands on there too.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

My second thought upon hearing this news (my first was: "Hurrah! New material!") was... that band name would look bloody great on a t-shirt.
niamhm
Known user

The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program?

Post by niamhm »

... me neither, some sorta RSD release Spiritualized contributing a track to, but it sounds interesting ,
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/75078
redcloud
Known user

The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program?

Post by redcloud »

My son asked for The Holydrug Couple album for Christmas. I have heard it a couple times and really like it. Didn't realize they were Chilean until I ordered the album for him. I reckon a lot of people on this board would like them too.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program?

Post by runcible »

I am curious about this. Spiritualized seem by far the biggest name here. I wonder how it all came about? I don't suppose anyone has heard the Spz track or know anything about it.

Holydrug Couple sounded Ok to me but I didn't get that excited. They played in Leeds quite recently but I gave it a miss.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Beach House, Youth Lagoon, Antlers, Mutual Benefit aren't exactly obscure either.
It sounds pretty cool, so I hope there's an LP too, not just a collection of 7"s.

And while I knew Io was a moon of Jupiter, I had to look up Miranda: it's Uranus's closest moon. There, I learnt something new today!
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

uhhh how bout JESU...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Awesome name. Looking forward to hearing this - hoping it'll be one of the more experimental Spaceman works.
O P 8
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Jaon's track is up for listening on soundcloud via pitchfork!
http://pitchfork.com/news/53934-listen- ... idge-song/
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Holy shit. Incredible. Really ... wow.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

How fucking great is this? Add the recent Cut Copy cover, and one can imagine Spiritualized have reverted to 2nd half Recurring / Laser Guided Melodies pt 2!

Realistically I don't expect that to be the case, but as an indication of Jason's next album's musical direction - how good does it sound!?!

Shame Pitchfork have such sloppy proofing - I thought we were getting a two-part work ... nevertheless am very happy with the most recent 6+ mins of music ... now where to preorder?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I hope this means that recording is underway for the next album ... and that it's going to have this kind of production throughout.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Ooft that song is incredible. Hope the new stuff goes in a similar vein to this. So inventive, melodic and moving, yet kicks ass too.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

can't stop listening to it. definitely agree that if this is the direction that's taken for the next album then we're all in for a real treat.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

What a gorgeous song! Gorgeous sonics, lovely treated vocals (I miss this so much!), great guitar fuzz and rumble in the background. I really hope Jase carries on in this direction. As long as he doesn't mention radios or aeroplanes again ;)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

And this is coming out both as part of the box set and as a standalone vinyl on RSD?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

heisenberg wrote:And this is coming out both as part of the box set and as a standalone vinyl on RSD?
I thought they were the same thing ... may have misread the details :?:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

mojo filters wrote:
heisenberg wrote:And this is coming out both as part of the box set and as a standalone vinyl on RSD?
i think that's right- the tracks will come on a 7" box set or a single LP.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
i think that's right- the tracks will come on a 7" box set or a single LP.
or a CD! more details on the record label's site
http://www.lefserecords.com/

big thumbs up from me on this song too. when I first heard about this I imagined it might be some kind of Tones for DJ's abstract thing, but it's a proper song! as others have said, if the sonics of this are any indication of the next album, bring it on..
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

'Spread Your Wings' meets 'O Superman' then something else entirely...

'I'll have me some of that...'

Unlike Mojo though, I don't hear any resemblance to the 1991-1992 vintage, there's far less rigid digital parmaters at work for a start, the vocal sounds absolutely experience-laden 20+ years down the line, and the noise element sounds far less processed and more random and electric.

See also: 'Walking On Thin Ice' and 'Sad Days, Lonely Nights'. The latter was supposedly the direction the next Spiritualized record was gonna be back in 2005 before life events occurred - so if anything, it reminds me of that sense of taking classic pop motifs and ripping them the fuck apart!

If you want to hear something else very special indeed, remember and listen to this one as loud as you can if you haven't already... from that Mexican Summer release, this is Bay Of Pigs who are Spiritualized, Neil Hagerty :shock: and Soldiers Of Fortune, I think one of Kid Millions' bands... you only get a minute and a half... but what a minute and a half!
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I have no idea how I missed it back in the day, but I am currently listening to Spz's cover of "Sad Days, Lonely Nights" for the first time ever. Holy God, that's some solo J pulls off at the end :shock: Thanks for the reminder, Bza! And that Mexican Summer track is awesome as well. Come on J, more of this please!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:My son asked for The Holydrug Couple album for Christmas. I have heard it a couple times and really like it. Didn't realize they were Chilean until I ordered the album for him. I reckon a lot of people on this board would like them too.
Haha nice at the beginning of Nov. I posted that I bet he would love them based on what you have said about him before! Cool to see that turned out to be true.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

That's just superb! Thats the kind of music i knew J had in him... i so hope this is the kinda ideas he has bouncing around for the next album.

IMHO, it reminds me more of Pure Phase than the earlier LGM stuff...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

hallelujah
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Holydrug Couple album is superb- one of my favourites of recent times. also partial to a bit of Antlers, Jesu and Beach House too, so am definitely grabbing this.

the comparison to Walking On Thin Ice is a good one..

the static bit in the middle reminds me of Let It Flow.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

RSD April 19th......is my birthday! I know where I'll be first thing in the morning. Praise be.
Nice song, but can't imagine I'd splash the hard earned cash on the actual release.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

nice. agree it sounds more Pure Phase than LGM.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea.. but it doesn't really capture Nepture, does it? feels more like a satellite/moon than Neptune..

it's nice & all..
good for valentine's day maybe..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BzaInSpace wrote: See also: 'Walking On Thin Ice' and 'Sad Days, Lonely Nights'.
angelsighs wrote: the comparison to Walking On Thin Ice is a good one..

i don't know, aside from the SD,LN being a Fat Possum one.

what it brought to mind for me was more the Sunflower-esque whimsical explosions of Going Down Slow or BIJAF but yea had a stronger '95-'97 undercurrent w/out the narcotic vibes that helped make them so entrancing then. the WoTI/Soul on Fire i can see w/the crackle & pop.

i wish SD,LN had/is a direction for an album.
& yea i'd be sceptical about taking this tune as read for the album. didn;t he say he outline in an interview a while back where he was going w/the new one?? don't think this quite fits in & i'd say this tune was maybe just sitting around when this project came up or vice versa, don't think it necessarily reflects the album (if there even is one!)..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

made a lot more sense to me when i played it after this :D

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The mention of SD/LN lead me to listen to it as I never bought the album it was from at the time. Might be wrong to say it here but it's not a patch on the original is it. Much more true emotion and effortless groove in that but then I guess Spz have never been about groove have they. Just seemed a bit nothingy for me. I'm a big fan of the original album which is probably why I feel that way.

I digress though.......back to the thread.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hedspace wrote:made a lot more sense to me when i played it after this :D

I didn't really pick up any similarity.

That rocket USA track ranks as one of my least favourite. I'll get me coat.

In terms of the new album, I think the only thing I read was that Jason was keen not to have the new one sounding like the last three.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

clewsr wrote:
Hedspace wrote:made a lot more sense to me when i played it after this :D

I didn't really pick up any similarity.

That rocket USA track ranks as one of my least favourite. I'll get me coat.
it wasnt meant in terms of similarity. it was meant as a listening experience. back to back with the Rocket USA track first, segued into SMSP

you can take coat off
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hah. Thanks. :)

[takes coat off, retakes seat at the end of a slightly empty bar]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jack white wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote: See also: 'Walking On Thin Ice' and 'Sad Days, Lonely Nights'.
angelsighs wrote: the comparison to Walking On Thin Ice is a good one..
i don't know, aside from the SD,LN being a Fat Possum one.
Obviously song-wise they are very different, but I'm referring to the pure waves of distorted noise they both feature. Love that stuff.
jack white wrote:i wish SD,LN had/is a direction for an album.

Me too. Well I remember there was that interview which J had told the chief of Fat Possum that the direction 'Sad Days, Lonely Nights' was where the next Spiritualized album was gonna go. Perhaps if an album had appeared around 2004/2005 it might have been like that...
Johnnyboy wrote:The mention of SD/LN lead me to listen to it as I never bought the album it was from at the time. Might be wrong to say it here but it's not a patch on the original is it. Much more true emotion and effortless groove in that but then I guess Spz have never been about groove have they. Just seemed a bit nothingy for me. I'm a big fan of the original album which is probably why I feel that way.
Hey Johnny, yeah they're totally different from each other that's for sure. The original has this really deep hypnotic thing going on, relentless with this kind of shuffle. Reminds me of a really lo-fi Jimmy Reed. Awesome song though!
the Spiritualized take has this weird, almost European Station To Station intro part before that bonkers overdrive kicks in. I really like that version too, covers that take the song somewhere else entirely are always the best I think. And the noise, I'm all about the noise...
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

clewsr wrote:hah. Thanks. :)

[takes coat off, retakes seat at the end of a slightly empty bar]
Haha!

[Throws coat in the corner: "Hey, this place is really quiet - somebody get in the Jägerbombs!"]

That Rocket USA isn't a favourite of mine either. It's pretty messy and doesn't really go anywhere. See also: the Sonic Youth & Spiritualized live track from the 1998 Meltdown...
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I love it!

But yeah, people bringing up "Sad Days Lonely Nights" and the Yoko track, it's great, but let's not hold our breath for the new album.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

now playing on BBC6 Music.........
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

More Spiritualized loveliness, and great that it's on Soundcloud as well. I thought we might have had to wait another two months before hearing this. My theory on the Neptune connection is that the most effective way to listen to this is after you're Saturn Uranus. (Sorry - haven't even bothered to take coat off)
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I really enjoyed it. It would be interesting to hear more songs of this ilk.
Hey Jayne
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Beautiful! I've been listening to it all day
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

They've just played it on 6Music 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

A really amazing track.Hope the new stuff goes in a similar vein to this.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

cantona wrote:A really amazing track.Hope the new stuff goes in a similar vein to this.
I really hope so too. This, along with the Cut/Copy rework of "Free Your Mind" signals one direction, but the live performances of his new material signal a different direction (not that it wouldn't be the first time Jason debuted live songs that ended up sounding completely different than the studio effort). I think this may be the best song he's created in over a decade, and I loved 'Sweet Heart, Sweet Light'. It's incredible that after 30 years of making music, he's still got it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mywhitenoise wrote:
cantona wrote:A really amazing track.Hope the new stuff goes in a similar vein to this.
I really hope so too. This, along with the Cut/Copy rework of "Free Your Mind" signals one direction, but the live performances of his new material signal a different direction (not that it wouldn't be the first time Jason debuted live songs that ended up sounding completely different than the studio effort). I think this may be the best song he's created in over a decade, and I loved 'Sweet Heart, Sweet Light'. It's incredible that after 30 years of making music, he's still got it.
I wish we had one of those Like buttons, a "thumbs up" icon, or some other shortcut to easily and quickly show agreement/appreciation (and perhaps even a "thumbs down" or similar to indicate the opposite) for posts on here - it seems to work well on other forums I follow that have it.

I'm sure I recall reading someone else write something to this effect some time ago, but can't remember whether other folk joined in and commented in terms of whether they thought this was a good idea or not ... if it was possible to add such functionality what do others think :?:
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Via request:

Hi-quality 320kpbs mp3rip here...
O P 8
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

BzaInSpace wrote:Via request:

thanks a million for this. love this song!! :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote:Via request:

thanks a lot Bza!
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Big thanks for this. Superb track.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Thanks, everyone, I've loved reading all your reactions. It's been lovely, building up the suspense... I'm just now on my first listen (thanks, BZA!).
Wow. It's a pop song in slow motion.. :) growing on me.
Fabulous.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

...and am I the only one hearing, "just like a drug pantry, I was in love with you... "?
(at 4:45)

I hope so.
My headphones are terrible.

Although I kinda like those lyrics.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

ro wrote:...and am I the only one hearing, "just like a drug pantry, I was in love with you... "?
(at 4:45)
"just like a drunk country"?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Both are great.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

This is amazing!!! can't wait for RSD!
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the CD version of this seems pretty readily available now. might order one tonight.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Bump for those that may have missed it ;)

I got the vinyl last week and have had it on the stereo all weekend. What a fantastic compilation!!! It seems to flow all together really well which is just as impressive as the material on it.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I went for both the LP and the singles Box Set which is really well done at least to "view"; I still have it [sealed]. Who can turn down the "Music of the Spheres" from the Heavens? Each electromagnetic wave, coupled with gravity, ergo the mass of the body, corresponds to a different "sound". That is Cosmic and Cool.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus