Prince

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Prince

Post by James T »

I have to say I'm pretty stoked he's coming to London and I hope I get to hear about/get tickets to one of the shows while he is doing this stupid tour which is really difficult for anyone to arrange for. Never seen the guy, but he's a class act for me. Sign O The Times takes some beating.
mc
Known user

Re: Prince

Post by mc »

I love Kode9 and Spaceape's cover, "Sine" (or "Sine of the Dub" as it's sometimes known):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKecBlhOm6w

(listen on good speakers, turn up the bass)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

caught Prince 5 or 7 years ago in Detroit -- simply amazing. Would see him anytime.
I think I feel it coming on
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Prince played Portland late last year at a 1400 capacity venue. Tickets sold out quickly but, amazing to me he didn't play someplace larger.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I saw him on the Sign Of The Times tour here in Detroit and he was spectacular. In a 20,000 seat arena.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

He's playing smaller shows right now with his new group 3rd eye girl. I think its a smart enough move for him, there would be a lot of disappointed people in a stadium these days when he decides to drop the hits.

Sign of the times tour would be amazing. I saw the film of it and thoroughly enjoyed it, sheila e was killing it on those drums!
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

Love the early Revolution stuff but couldn't get into the NPG. His new material I find hit or miss but I still like it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

o)+>

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love Prince, all his bands and eras and a hell of a lot of his albums. Even the weaker records always have one or two amazing songs. There's a massive, amazing box-set/anthology of his music that's begging to be made - dunno whether that'll ever happen though. I might settle for some remasters of his pre 1995 output - but those albums still sound fresh and amazing even now.

The new songs keep coming - can't wait for PlectrumElectrum, 8) 3rdEyeGirl are an awesome band and I've really liked the stuff Prince and them have been putting out. Last years 'FixUrLifeUp' is one of his great singles... Hendrix-esque guitar and a stright up bass/drums/guitar garage sound. Love it!

I got Matt Thorne's massive brick of a book at Xmas simply entitled Prince, and it's an absolute delight particularly if you are readily familiar with a lot of his bootlegs and minutiae involving his released work - there's an entire chapter on (probably my favourite ever Prince track) the epic 'Crystal Ball' which immediately made me realize this was my kind of book.

Insanely, I've never actually seen him live - but after Mr Orbital posted this tracklisting elsewhere for his gig last night in the Electric Ballroom, I would say of all the shows he's done this is the one I wish I'd seen... :shock:

Set One (8pm-9:30pm)

Pretzelbodylogic
Let's Go Crazy
Funknroll
She's Always in My Hair
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
FixUrLifeUp
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
Stratus (Billy Cobham cover)
Chaos and Disorder
Pretzelbodylogic (Remix)
Bambi

Set Two (11pm-1am)

Pretzelbodylogic
Let's Go Crazy
Funknroll
She's Always in My Hair
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
FixUrLifeUp
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
Crimson & Clover
Cause and Effect
Dreamer
Play That Funky Music
The Max
Purple Rain
Pretzelbodylogic (Remix)
Stratus
When Doves Cry
Sign “☮” the Times
Hot Thing
Nasty Girl (instrumental)
Alphabet St. (instrumental)
Housequake
I Would Die 4 U
Pop Life instrumental
A Love Bizarre instrumental

Oh yeah... the cost of a ticket to this gig was a mere ten pounds. :shock:
O P 8
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

He's an absolutely incredible performer, maybe the best ever - he's certainly responsible for the best gig I've ever been to.

Also, I'd say that his run of albums from the end of the 70s to the end of the 80s is unparalleled in the history of pop music/culture. For being so prolific, the quality was an insanely high standard.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I am looking forward to hearing the new album when it comes out. Is there a release date? I will admit that I haven't paid much attention to anything he's released in decades, but for some reason I'm really curious right now. BZA - any chance you'd do up a mix of his best stuff from the past 10 to 20 years?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

More shows are coming apparently, so I might take a trip down to London this saturday on the off-chance. That said, I have no money so perhaps I won't... Tough choices.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:I am looking forward to hearing the new album when it comes out. Is there a release date? I will admit that I haven't paid much attention to anything he's released in decades, but for some reason I'm really curious right now. BZA - any chance you'd do up a mix of his best stuff from the past 10 to 20 years?
Funny you should mention that. I've been working on and off (mostly off!) over the last few years on some kind of comp of exactly that. Gave up after I found it impossible to condense it down to just a single disc. At the time it was just to prove wrong the accepted party line that he went off the boil following Lovesexy. He released some amazing stuff in the late 90s for example, you won't hear about them much though.

I think the main problem was the sheer abundance of material - two triple albums within two years as well as regular single disc albums released as well? Nobody but the hardcore fans was gonna sit through that.

You know what, I'll get back on it - bit of a backlog of musical related activities but yeah, now is the time. I'll stick to the official releases - just thinking about trawling through the endless bootlegs and stuff, just too much...

PlectrumElectrum : no release date out there at all that I can see - I think he'll drop it with no advance warning, somehow. Apparently it's an all-analogue recording inspired by Hendrix and Led Zeppelin... :D
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So it looks like he's coming to Manchester on Friday and Saturday next week. Koko in London tomorrow, Ronnie Scotts on Monday...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

2NITE PEOPLE... 2NITE I GET FUNKY.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

So how was it?!

Did you manage to get advance tickets? Really gutted as I found out afterwards that all those in the queue outside managed to get in - missed out on the O2 gigs, and these too. There were rumours circulating of a third night as well....

Bizarrely enough no news since the second night - is he even still in the UK....?

Looking forward to some hopefully outstanding Glasto footage, IF he plays, and IF he lets it be broadcast - remember Leonard Cohen...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Oh man, it was just incredible! What a guy. This new band have got some really heavy vibes, but still plenty of that funk. The version of 'she's always in my hair' was just too good.

He's actually left the UK now apparently and gone home to Paisley Park. He is playing 2 nights at Hyde Park in the summer though. I'm hoping Larry Graham and Central Station support, that would be a real jam. Sheila E? Who knows. They could really put a great line-up together for those shows which could cement his return to the top of his game.

No doubt he won't make another Sign O The Times or Purple Rain; but the new stuff is incredible live. I did get advance tickets yeah. £70 is absolutely no cost for someone performing on his level. The show was second only to Leonard Cohen for me, and that's probably because I'm a huge huge LC fan.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not trolling- genuine question, what's the big deal about Prince?
all the reviews of the gigs just seem to be mentioning how long the shows are (which is cool) and how well he can play (which is cool too but not a prerequisite to good music).
what is it that actually makes him so good? and furthermore what would be a good album to start with?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think the simplest answer is that Prince has a incredible number of stunning songs. He's a good songwriter, clever arranger and a brilliant musician. Unfortunately, he's not so great at quality control, which resulted in a number of double and triple albums throughout his carreer that feel overstuffed and undernourished. Check out Purple Rain! How have you avoided it for so long?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I only like raspberry beret, but then most people here probably hate that one, granted I never played one of his albums :/
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like Raspberry Beret a lot. I'm not a Prince superfan, but my guess is that most of his fans enjoy that track.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You should really check out Sign O The Times (the album), particularly the title track, never take the place of your man, u got the look, and the cross. The cross is pretty amazing!

Around the world in a day, purple rain; both those are amazing albums too. Controversy is a pretty great effort too, and 1999 of course (again, the albums). B-Sides are pretty awesome from those periods too.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Must admit, I never really saw the appeal in Prince either really...obviously a very talented chap but he was one for the girls while I was going through secondary school/college. As a New Order/Joy Division/Smiths/Wedding Present fan at that time, Prince was a bit "Top of the Pops" for my liking (blinkered indie kid that I was/am!). He's certainly not someone I am at all desperate to see or get in to at this stage of my life.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Manchester - Let's Go Crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMABC22tfwg

As I said earlier, SO gutted I wasn't there, especially as I gather everyone queuing outside DID get tickets....!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

If you have half an hour to spare, this is funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm surprised at the amount of detail he goes into there. It was an interesting watch and funny, but also a bit uncomfortable.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the tips all. i will check it out and give him a chance. it's not like I'm against big commercial acts as I love a bit of The Boss, for example. Prince is obviously talented but technical talent doesn't always equal quality, enjoyable music.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

James T wrote:I'm surprised at the amount of detail he goes into there. It was an interesting watch and funny, but also a bit uncomfortable.
In that case, sorry, if I caused any upset by posting that link
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

P R I N C E

Post by BzaInSpace »

Woah - looks like Warners and Prince have finally - finally! - sorted things out.

Let's hope the remastered & expanded (surely by the Man himself?) edition of Purple Rain will be followed by deluxe versions of his other classics from the Warner years of which there are so many: 1999, Dirty Mind, Lovesexy and best of all, Parade, for starters.

Looks like at last he owns the master tapes of his music he made with Warners:

The reissue is part of a broader deal that covers licensing for every Prince album from 1978 into the '90s. According to a press release, Prince and the label have struck an agreement to release "long-awaited, previously unheard material," and other projects are also in the works. Financial terms weren't disclosed, but under the deal Prince has ownership of his songs' master recordings.

Prince, in a statement, said, "A brand-new studio album is on the way and both Warner Bros Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations and look forward to a fruitful working relationship."

Does this mean the long-awaited new record is out on Warners too? Mad...
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dreamweapon wrote:
James T wrote:I'm surprised at the amount of detail he goes into there. It was an interesting watch and funny, but also a bit uncomfortable.
In that case, sorry, if I caused any upset by posting that link
Oh don't apologise! It's an interesting and funny read. Just because I don't think he should've said some of the stuff doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching it.

Really weird that P is back with Warner now!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Prince

Post by BzaInSpace »

After viewing some of that video it appears that Kevin Smith finally has the audience he deserves - freaky looking people practising canned laughter at a fat man's supposedly 'impromptu' tale during a Q&A.

If only Prince still dabbled in the dark side - would be quite amusing to see Smith fall prey to a series of The Omen-style 'accidents' for bitching about Prince...
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

o}+>

Post by BzaInSpace »

Bloody Prince!

I have to say I felt an extra special twinge of disappointment when His Royal Funkiness announced his first gig in Scotland in over 20 YEARS (I was barely into music back then, let alone being even barely familiar with the vast discography of the mighty P R I N C E)... only as that very weekend I had a family all-weekend wedding in the Distant North.

In hindsight though, there's no way I could have afforded them tickets. £65 for the crappest, distant seats? Fuck that.

After his recent ten quid shows, and even back to the £31.21 gigs at the O2 not so long ago (with a free album!)... why did he not do a few weeks run at The Barrowlands or something? Different set every night? This is what this guy seems to thrive on...

Still it's Prince... and I truly wish the bastard could have picked any other fucking weekend this year to do this. :(

The setlist makes me cry:

Although I think he could have flown in a bit more of Parade. Only so I can feel slightly less disappointed...

Still though... anybody here make these shows? James??
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes I made manchester night 1. Was a really great show, though a little shorter than some of the others. He played full versions of almost all the tracks, instead of the medleys so it was great to hear take me with u and u got the look. He played paisley park which is also a huge favourite. Worth every penny, no one can work a crowd like P.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

'Paisley Park'?

Aw man... :shock:
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes, he actually had a female vocalist sing that one, but it's always been a favourite for me so I loved it either way, she did a good job. I remember me and a friend got to Berlin for a little break once, it was a really care-free time which for me is pretty sweet (I'm a bit of a stress head, grumpy old man despite mid twenties, yunno...). We got to this little bar and I was thinking was a nice place we'd found, then paisley park came on the jukebox, was a fine fine memory. I'm not sure why, but that sticks with me every time I hear the song now.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

2 new albums coming out in Sept.:

http://pitchfork.com/news/53858-prince- ... -same-day/

Yikes. The artwork for the solo album is really, really bad.

At last, after slowly trickling out several new songs with Prince, 3rdEyeGirl stopped by "Good Morning America" and finally shared details regarding their mentor's latest projects. PlectrumElectrum, the 3rdEyeGirl record, will be out September 30 via Warner Bros (a day earlier in the U.K.), but it's not the only new Princ-related record that listeners will get to enjoy – that same day, the Purple One will also drop a new solo album called Art Official Age. (that's the cover art, above).

PlectrumElectrum features Prince's recent tracks “FALLINLOVE2NITE” (featuring Zooey Deschanel), "PRETZELBODYLOGIC", "Fixurlifeup", and "Da Bourgeoisie". Art Official Age, by contrast, is home to "Breakdown" and "Breakfast Can Wait". According to previous reports, it'll also feature a song inspired by the #ThisCouldBeUsButYouPlayin meme.

Art Official Age:

01 ART OFFICIAL CAGE
02 CLOUDS
03 BREAKDOWN
04 THE GOLD STANDARD
05 U KNOW Prince
06 BREAKFAST CAN WAIT
07 THIS COULD BE US
08 WHAT IT FEELS LIKE
09 affirmation I & II
10 WAY BACK HOME
11 FUNKNROLL
12 TIME
13 affirmation III
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pumped for the 3RDEYEGIRL record, not so sure his solo one will be that great. Breakdown and Breakfast Can Wait don't really do it for me.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

At last - typical Prince: longest gap in records since 1978 :shock: ...and then he releases two at once!

Classic Prince!

So looking forward to these. I read the 3RDEYEGIRL album was influenced by Led Zeppelin and Cocteau Twin apparently!

Solo records? All his albums are solo records really, it's just sometimes like 3RDEYEGIRL or the NPG he lets other musicians play on them. You'd have to go back to the Revolution era to see any co-writers.

The artwork? Not bothered, not many of his sleeves are actually that classic really. The late 90s saw a deluge of great records hidden in primitive digitally rendered photo covers and stuff.

However did you see the 'Breakfast Can Wait' single sleeve?

And they say the guy has no sense of humour...
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, that sleeve is funny. Gotta give Prince credit for having a sense of humor.

I found the sleeve art for PlectrumElectrum and it's definitely better than the solo album art. You can see it here:

http://plectrumelectrum.3rdeyegirl.com/uk/
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well, at long last the albums are out! A quick spin of both this morning, not a proper listening sesh by any means, immediately loving ART OFFICIAL AGE, 3RD EYE GIRL initially not sounding as insanely psychedelic as I'd hoped for... will report back!

Probably...

O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah the 3RDEYEGIRL record has really disappointed me! Didn't expect much from the other anyway.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It's Prince - it beats anything else this week, this month or most of the year to be honest.

I don't really expect another Parade outta him at this point, but still!

I really like the jams thing he pushes out in PLECTRUMELECTRUM. 3RDEYEGIRL are shit hot!

ART OFFICIAL AGE sounds awesome though - for me it's up there with 3121 or even The Rainbow Children.
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

FunkNRoll with 3RDEYE is great, some great tracks but hasn't got the sound I was expecting.

The other one I didn't think was gonna be any use, but I enjoyed it!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

After listening to ART OFFICAL AGE all the way thru at least five times over the last few days I'm gonna revise my opinion of it: I actually think it's his best record since Diamonds & Pearls. Or even Lovesexy!

No shit, it's incredible. While PLECTRUMELECTRUM does not quite hit the psychedelic levels I'd hoped for this one - his 33rd album! - more than does. It's totally bonkers - every song switches genres and style often within the song itself and the whole album is gloriously meshed together, it flows perfectly and also is relatively concise - compared to the likes of Emancipation and such.

Even the slushy ballads - and there are always gonna be slushy ballads on a Prince album - have a rare depth and... have you heard this guy singing? He's in his 50s now but he still hits those high notes, amazing.

There's so much going on in this album that it takes a few listens to absorb it, and I'm wary of the reviews who suggest it was made quickly and off-the-cuff - bollocks. This album is his most crafted in years and there are almost endless layers and production tricks going on through it. It really does sound like Prince has spent a lot of time working this to maximum effect.

There are several tracks which immediately qualify for all-time-great Prince status IMO - really love the ghostly backing vocals on 'Way Back Home', the glorious rock and funk mashup of, er... 'Funknroll' (complete with some really baddass clipped guitar) and the ultra-dry Parade sound meets Bernie Worrell synth-bass goodness of 'The Gold Standard'.
'Breakdown' appears to be his most personal lyric perhaps ever, and the album has this bizarre sci-fi dystopian theme running through it involving His Royal Badness having been in suspended animation for 45 years and being given instructions to disregard possessive terms (as they are "control mechanisms") by a girl with a sexy English accent....

What the hell?

The weakpoint for me is probably 'Breakfast Can Wait' - despite the hilarious sleeve a few posts above - a slow jam which he can knock off in his sleep. Even weirder was this was released as a single prior to the album release, yet it couldn't be less representative of the album.

Good on ya Prince, still messing with our heads.

O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Looks like A.O.A. is only available on vinyl in the UK and Europe. Bummer. Hopefully, we'll get a U.S. pressing because I can't justify spending $40 on it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Any word on US vinyl releases Paul?

They're due out here now in December and at a good price too - £15? Even better that ART OFFICAL AGE is going to be 120gm double vinyl edition.

Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself endlessly I just cannot believe how fucking good ART OFFICIAL AGE actually is. Earlier in this thread I reckoned it was as good as The Gold Experience or The Rainbow Children, then following repeated listens I began to think it was as good as Lovesexy from way back in 1988.

Well I now believe it's possibly his best record... ever!

Really? Well, it certainly beats Lovesexy - hands down. It's phenomenal. It may just be the best mixed and produced record I've heard in years, I mean this sounds like a million dollars, so intricate and nuanced and - dammit! - perfect.

Every song on there is fantastic, even the ballads. The like of 'Breakfast Can Wait' I wasn't sold on initially - then half way through it just goes off, the Camille voice appears, it's like... what?

'The Gold Standard' is the funkiest piece of one-man-machine craziness I've heard in a long, long time. It's just stunning. I never want this to end...

'Way Back Home' is incredible - and the reprise at the end of the album is genius. I way prefer the version 'Funk 'N' Roll' here as opposed to the PLECTRUMELECTRUM version - it's way harder, amazing brutal clipped guitar noise, and the whole thing blasts off into this incredible rave segment at the end. Wow!

The final proper track 'Time', is just so good. It truly digs deep into the beautifully skeletal funk that Sly Stone was immersed in from around 1970-1973. The bass - which I'm assuming is Prince - is just spine-tingling. Way up in the mix, low slung and totally on it. In the intro there is the sound of a phone calling, and Prince seems to sing the vocal down a scratchy telephone line as through literally phoning in the vocal part. Andy Allo is duetting here and it's awesome how they've taken the warped 'Family Affair' sound and remade it into something new.

'U Know' is probably my all-time favourite Prince track - at least it's up there with 'Crystal Ball' or 'Erotic City' IMO. That good. It's just way too short, but then the best songs usually are. Maximum credit for the rare enhancing use of a vocoder there too, instead of just being another effect...

Prince - I salute you.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I believe the US vinyl release date is Nov. 24th. I like Art Official Age a lot, too. In fact, I kind of OD'd on it already and am taking a break. The only song I don't like is the first one.