Gruff Rhys : American Interior (LP, book & film)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Gruff Rhys : American Interior (LP, book & film)

Post by TheWarmth »

http://american-interior.com/

Can't wait! This should be really good.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Gruff Rhys : American Interior (LP, book & film)

Post by Shinesalight »

Wow this looks great. Gruff just has that ability to create really interesting music and he is a natural story teller. The only down side is the fact that any plans for SFA material will probably be put on hold. Nevertheless, I can't wait to hear this.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Pre-order is up now: http://gruffrhys.sandbaghq.com/music.html

I couldn't help myself and went for the boxset, which includes 8 exclusive tracks (on vinyl EPs!) unavailable on the other formats. Here are the details on that:

- 12" GATEFOLD LP , HEAVY VINYL, WITH 'AMERICAN INTERIOR' MAP INSERT.
- CD OF 'AMERICAN INTERIOR' ALBUM
- 3 X 12" VINYL EP. FEATURING 8 BRAND NEW GRUFF RHYS SONGS, EXCLUSIVE TO THE BOX SET (INCLUDES MP3 DOWNLOAD).
- FIRST EP INCLUDES THE SONG AMERICAN INTERIOR AND 3 FURTHER EXCLUSIVES: SUGAR INSIDES, Y GWENAN GORN AND CYLCHDRO AMSER.
- EP2 AND EP3 WILL BE DELIVERED TO YOU AHEAD OF THEIR RELEASE.
- EXCLUSIVE ART PRINT BY PETE FOWLER. A FANTASTIC PORTRAIT OF GRUFF AND JOHN EVANS, SIGNED BY GRUFF RHYS HIMSELF!
- GRUFF RHYS T-SHIRT (IN THE SIZE OF YOUR CHOICE)
- ALL PRESENTED IN A GLORIOUS BLACK BOX
- INSTANT MP3 DOWNLOAD OF THE 'AMERICAN INTERIOR' SINGLE
- LIMITED TO JUST 500 BOXES!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, that is a good looking box set with a lot of content (especially in comparison with, say, the recent Mogwai box set). The only thing that's putting me off is the cost, especially when you factor in the increased postage costs due to the extra EPs. I dread to think how much it's costing you to have it shipped out to the States Paul.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I know. I put it on my credit card and am trying not to think about the cost. The 8 exclusive bonus tracks totally sold me, though. Gruff's b-sides have always been awesome. There are so many good SFA b-sides, it's insane.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I have a terrible weakness for box sets so I weakened and shelled out for this.... :D
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I wish I could afford the boxset but it isn't an option right now. I really enjoyed Separado! so I'm looking forward to the movie too.
And 'American Interior' - the single - is brilliant, it could well be my favourite Gruff solo single so far.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I received my boxset yesterday and have been listening to the download for a few days now. This is a wonderful album and another home run for Gruff. IMO, he is one of the finest songwriters around. On top of that he comes off as such a genuine and cool dude, which isn't something you can say about many musicians these days. My only minor complaint is that I wish he'd spend a little more time/money in the studio, as I think these recordings could have benefited from slightly more lush arrangements, but the album still sounds fantastic. I suppose you could argue that the stripped down approach works best with this material. Anyone else into it?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote: My only minor complaint is that I wish he'd spend a little more time/money in the studio .
I wish he'd spend it with the Super Furries!
There was a period in the noughties where they seemed to be constatntly touring and releasing records and for too long now there's been nothing, not a peep. Have they split up?

Haven't had a chance to listen to American Interior yet but i am considering going to see him next weekend. He's doing a whole spoken word/interview/acoustic performance/video show on the American Interior project. Might be interesting, might be complete self indulgent crap. That's always the chance you take with a Gruff gig!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Gruff is an incredible entertainer. I saw him when he toured for Candylion and it was a brilliant show with just him and Cate Le Bon on stage. I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you go, definitely let me know how it was.

As for SFA, I think they will eventually do another album, but every member of the band has other projects going on at the moment, so I suspect it'll be awhile.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was really, really tempted with getting the box set but the shipping costs brought the total for it to nearly £70 which was a bit too rich for me. I'm seeing him next Friday here in Brighton as part of the city's month long arts festival (http://brightonfestival.org) and hoping to pick up the non-deluxe vinyl from the merch stall...maybe I'll even get a chance for the great man to sign it.

I have to echo Warmth's love for the man. I've seen him solo 4 or 5 times now (plus add to that the half dozen times I've seen SFA and the lone Neon Neon show) and have really enjoyed every time I've seen him. There is such a warmth and feel good factor every time he performs. I too saw him on the Candylion tour and can second the Warmth's appreciation for that show.

A record, live show, book, app and film may seem a bit self indulgent to some but, for me at least, the more Gruff the better 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I too caught the Candylion tour and really enjoyed it. The next time i saw him was rubbish though, just complete self indulgent twaddle, mind you everyone else loved it :roll: The next gig, a year later, was with a full band and that was much better.

I do like Gruff / SFA but i've never been a massive fan. The other half is a big fan alright, but I like rather than love i guess.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

My box set arrived during the week. I've not managed to open it yet as a massive load of pre-ordered records all arrived. We are moving house in the next week, so I don't think I'll open it until we get the move finished. There are builders/painters/piles of crap everywhere so it is not really the right conditions for music listening..... :(
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

How do, troops,

How much is this? That link on the website doesn't show the box set.

O
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Maybe the boxset is sold out because I don't see it listed anymore, either. I think it was 55 or 60 squids plus shipping.