Reunions

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

Reunions

Post by The Dr »

of all the band reunions that you have seen, were any actually any good? bands that reform and you go 'wow i'm glad they did that on the basis of them now, not on nostalgia. i can think of each and the bunnymen and suicide, hmm...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: reununions

Post by TheWarmth »

MBV, obviously. I like the new Pixies material, too, although I was never a huge fan of theirs. I'm glad Slowdive are getting back together and I hope they do a new album. The Suede reunion album was pretty good. I don't understand why people complain about it so much. I will say that Blur needs to either put out a new album or stop touring at this point.
James T
Known user

Re: Reunions

Post by James T »

Codeine was spectacular. Pop group have also been incredible live and am looking forward to hearing the new album.

Blur didn't need to do the second round of shows without new material, and I think maybe they should call it quits. They are my favourite, I can't bear any more of the greatest hits nonsense though.

Pulp, amazing!

Mbv was a job well done, live and the album...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, Blur are supposed to do a new album after Damon's solo album comes out, but I feel like they've been teasing it for quite awhile now.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't want them to. I don't think they have it in them to do a good one.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Really? I disagree. Under The Westway was great. I really like Fool's Day, too.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

If any band can pull it off, it would be Blur, i think. Damon stil writes good stuff and Graham is a brilliant guitar player. I would really like to hear new material, especially after Fool's Day and Under The Westway.
Having said that, the reunions I witnessed were a bit hit and miss. Really liked seeing The Verve, cause I never saw them live before. Pixies same thing (not too sure about the new songs though). But I especially remember seeing Television in 2004 or 2005 and being really disappointed. They were sloppy, uninterested. I couldn't listen to Marquee Moon for years after that gig. That whole experience made me very picky about seeing old heroes live.
Really looking forward though to seeing one of my fav bands ever Daryll-Ann go at it again next month. They just reformed, retrospective box set and all, and from what I saw of their try-out gigs on the net, they still got it!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

I've seen the JAMC reunion twice in 2007 and 2012 and they were ok but what I'd really like is some new music. After "all Things Must Pass" I thought for sure we'd get a new album but that didn't happen. Come to think of it same thing with Big Audio Dynamite, they toured and had a new song ready to go called "Rob Peter Pay Paul" but nothing came of it.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mark Burgess Chameleons Vox thing, but I suppose that's not a proper reunion.
The only thing that pops into my head would be a Hüsker Dü reunion, but there's little chance of that happening (unfortunately).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i'm really glad mbv got back together and started playing shows and releasing music again- i compare most reunions to theirs as i think there aren't a lot of bands that have done it as well as they have.

seeing godspeed you! black emperor was good too- that's a band that i'd been into and seen live while they were initially active and then caught them again when they reunited. that was a rare case where they were better than when i first saw them. plus that last album stands pretty easily with their best stuff (i definitely liked it more than 'yanqui u.x.o.')

mazzy star is another one like that- they seem like they haven't missed a beat.

i saw one of the shows during that first string of pixies reunion dates and it was a really enjoyable experience. they played well and i finally got to hear those songs live. i have to admit that i've lost interest in them since, though. i haven't heard the new material because i'm worried i won't like it that much, mainly because i never liked 'trompe le monde.'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Do The Black Crowes count? They have split temporarily twice now and done other stuff but then returned. We are in another hiatus now but the Robinson brothers are always doing something and working on other projects.

If the Crowes are a candidate then their reunion has to be a triumph and anyone who saw the shows, as I did last year, would testify to that...
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I think the one i enjoyed the most was the Sex Pistols in 1996.
Closely followed by Black Sabbath 2012.
The list of dreadful sets I've seen by reformed bands includes The Only Ones and That Petrol Emotion.
Heavy Tourism
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

shalloboi wrote:i'

mazzy star is another one like that- they seem like they haven't missed a beat.

.'

yes! :D plus a new album that feels like it was recorded the next day from the last release

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and the best reform albums?

mazzy- seasons
bunnymen- evergreen
mbv- mbv
brmc- howl (i'm not sure if they split or not- think so unoffically)

(top earners post reform up to 2013)

1. Take That – £130 million
2. Spice Girls – £25 million
3. Blur – £15 million
4. The Stone Roses – £12 million
5. Steps – £10 million
6. Madness – £5 million
7. Simple Minds – £3 million
8. Sex Pistols – £2.5 million
9. Pulp – £1.5 million
10. Happy Mondays – £750,000

Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

The only good reunion I've ever seen was Bauhaus in 1998.

Everything else has been weak (or weaker), including all reunion albums.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Re: blur. I think under the westway was ok, but way off being a great blur track. Just a nice song. Fools Day was a good little ditty. The Puritan was absolutely shocking.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

The Dr wrote:(top earners post reform up to 2013)

Source?
And No 1 is probably the ticket agent.

I reckon Siberia is the best Bunnymen post '87 lp. Evergreen is great but has some lulls. Siberia keeps the hip.
Heavy Tourism
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MBV, Led Zep, Swans, Television, GYBE- all fantastic reunion stuff.
The Verve reunion was a mixed bag.

I've seen Echo & The Bunnymen twice since they reformed- once they were fantastic, other time pants.

I really do think it's unfair to generalise about band reunions.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:The Verve reunion was a mixed bag.
Actually the 1st time that happened resulted in one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Hammersmith Palais. August 1997. On another level.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I stumbled upon a Cheap Trick reunion at Boston's City Hall some time in the mid 90's. I think it was a reunion...did they ever break up?
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

With the exception of My Bloody Valentine, all the reformed bands I have seen were ones that I missed out on first time around mainly because I was far too young (not even born in some cases) when they were in their pomp. The Seeds, Love, The Stooges and Iggy & the Stooges were all finished by the time I was about 5 years old and I have loved seeing all these guys over the last few years, fantastic shows.

The first band that I really loved and bought their records and wrote their name on my school bag were the Specials and I was 12 when they split. I was a bit sniffy about them when they got back together a few years back because Jerry Dammers wasn’t involved but seeing them at Glastonbury dashed that and I snapped up tickets to see them at Brixton last year. Sure there’s some nostalgia in there (isn’t that the case though with any band?) but those songs still really stand up and I certainly wasn’t thinking “oh man this reminds me of 1980” That was an intense night and certainly up there with some of the best I have ever been to.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

plastic37 wrote:
The Dr wrote:(top earners post reform up to 2013)

Source?
And No 1 is probably the ticket agent.

I reckon Siberia is the best Bunnymen post '87 lp. Evergreen is great but has some lulls. Siberia keeps the hip.

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/la ... led-115991

i think siberia has great moments, what i was thinking of was the first album after reforming, flowers and the fountain have their moments too, plus i prefer mcculloch's voice post reunion

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

runcible wrote:
Actually the 1st time that happened resulted in one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Hammersmith Palais. August 1997. On another level.
good point- they reformed twice and produced urban hymns

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The only reunion that blew me away was The Stooges but I suspect anyone who caught them first time around viewed the new shows as throwaway. In addition, the new albums haven't equalled any of their original output.

Pixies reunion gigs were good, they could still cut it live, but they did nothing for me. I saw them twice the first time around and I guess I'd moved on. New material is a bit hit and miss too.
I wasn't aware GSYBE had split up, in which case that was a successful reunion. Swans I really enjoyed live and in studio, but I never saw them first time around so don't know how they compared to the original incarnations.
Mary Chain's was disappointing, they'd morphed into an average rock band, but it was exactly what I expected it to be. Which was painful to admit as they're my faves.

Portishead's come back with 'Three' was excellent, live and on record, but I guess they don't technically qualify as they were on 'hiatus'.

There have been loads more but they're not the kind of thing i find myself getting excited about. In fact I probably approach them with trepidation and a feeling of dread. I just find a lot of the reunions too nostalgic for me. I'm not a big fan of celebratory gigs where the crowd will go nuts no matter what. Fuck that...prove you've still got it then i'll applaud, I don't care what you've done in the past only that you can still do that material justice now.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have no opinion one way or another on reunions. I dont tend to get too worked up over them. I blew off MBV, Pixies, etc. Verve? Were they gone long enough for that to actually qualify as a reunion? The first part of that tour was fantastic. The second leg without Nick McCabe was just abysmal. I lasted maybe half the set.
I saw the Stooges reunion here(Detroit) in 2003 and was blown away. This is documented on a DVD put out or related to Creem Magazine. Big crowd too. 10,000+. First time they played Detroit in probably 30 years.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is going to come across as a bit 'Grumpy Old Men' (guilty as charged) so either bear with me or mutter "silly old git" and go elsewhere: I can't think of many reunions that I've been to that were any good TBH. Perhaps the MC5 gig with Primal Scream comes close, or the MBV shows I've seen since 2008.

I particularly hate that bit at reunion gigs where they say "this is a new song" and 99% of the crowd go for a piss/beer/ciggy/chat and so the atmosphere just dies. At an Ian Brown gig a couple of years back the atmosphere would almost die between his singles (when it perked up a bit) and a Roses song, when there were torrents of beer flying about and it was mental.

Particular low points for me in recent years were New Order, who have had so many reunions I've lost count (1993 was a turd, MCR in 1998 was great, but anything since has been eminently missable). Echo and The Bunnymen have been poor every time I've seen them since Pete left the first time (including a gig with Blair Cunningham and a dog of a gig without Mac). Dead Can Dance were laughably bad when we saw them in Dublin recently. The recent Happy Mondays gig which we got free tickets to was shite (poor form to moan when it is free too). To make matters worse, the Mondays were supported by Inspiral Carpets who weren't nearly as bad, but I happen to know from way back. It made for a few awkward moments over post-show beers after the gig. Ditto New York Dolls (who I was busting to see as I'd missed them in their prime), The Damned, The Pixies, The Buzzcocks and others, all of whom I had seen in their prime. While we are at it comebacks are often shite too. For example, Souxsie was appalling when we saw her solo show a few years back, and Liz Fraser was not much chop at the RFH last year.

I have very mixed feelings about the Slowdive reunion. I lived in Reading from 1989-1995 and so saw them play a lot, and worked as a lighting tech on a bunch of gigs for them. I could see myself going to the gig to catch up with people I've not seen for years, but thats hardly the point.

My approach has been to avoid reunions unless I never saw the band play originally. Even then I am likely to avoid the gig. If Slowdive play Liverpool or MCR I might go, but otherwise I'm happy with some nice memories. I suppose I did enjoy Loop and Slint at ATP, but I really went to see Mogwai, Goat, Fuck Buttons (who were poor) and Kandodo

I'm reassured that artists whose work I've loved for years (e.g. Jason Pierce, Mark E Smith and Julian Cope to name but three) can produce beautiful new work and revisit/rework past work without the need to indulge in nostalgia. I love gigs where you simply don't know what is coming next (so the LAGWAFIS shows didn't inspire me, much as I enjoyed them). Unreleased tunes are something to treasure these days.....
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Pentangle - 2007
Sat in the front row - simply stunning.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

olan wrote: The recent Happy Mondays gig which we got free tickets to was shite (poor form to moan when it is free too).
Au contraire. This allows you to be way more objective. Which is why I feel the way I do about many shows I have seen on guestlists. I had nothing to lose but the time spent.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

The Verve was the only one i have been bothered about. 1997 wasnt a reunion ....they were still playing and writing together, just without McCabe...but yes, the 1997 shows were stunning.

2007 however, saw them in an arena and it was godawful. Forth had so much potential but the old problems between members remained and its definatley an unfinished article. However it did produce Sit & Wonder....listen to the version they play in Osaka in 2008....its one of their best tunes. some of the 2008 festival sets are pretty great too.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

ye gods, how could i forget...The Stone Roses.

after initially being very cynical, warmed to it after wathing the press conference where they came across as very genuine, and then saw them on the sunday at Heaton Park which was a very special day indeed.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
wow yeah, I totally forgot about that! I always forget that they actually split at that time too. because it was just a short amount of time, I would just consider that a 'break', although guess you are just getting into a semantics debate there!
I was more referring to the Forth era, which had a lot of issues but still turned up some great work (Sit & Wonder, Columbo)

I saw Chameleons Vox a couple of years ago, went with trepidation but it was a fantastic gig. not sure about them doing a new album though. that doesn't feel quite right to me.

bit more of an obscure example (they didn't have much of a fanbase to disappoint/please etc!), but the band Polvo reformed after a few years and made, to my ears, their best album with In Prism. the gig I saw was kind of average, though.

It seems I am a bit more open to reformed bands than many here... I don't see the issue, if a band wants to get back together and still perform/make music, who are we to argue? I go with an open mind.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ultrasound reformed a few years ago after splitting in 1999, and as far as I'm concerned it's been an amazing success. Their second album "Play For Today" is astonishingly good, they're incredible live and a third album is reportedly on the way. Can't wait :D

I'd also profess my love for the MBV reunion. I haven't seen them live yet, but "m b v" is a brilliant record.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Reformed bands in gig form:

The Stooges playing Funhouse at Hammersmith Apollo blew me away. I knew they'd be good but man they were stunning. Went from standing half way back to going bonkers down the front and getting on stage.

The first time the Happy Mondays reformed and played Brixton was a fantastic gig. Seen them a couple of times since over the years and they haven't come close to that night..

Pixies at Brixton first time of reforming but not since the new material, which sucks in my opinion.

MBV at the Roundhouse was essential but the whole 'holocaust' thing and reviews purely focusing on their volume kind of bored me. Not seen them since nor did I buy the mbv album. Yet to hear it.

Loop at Netil House was cool.

Blur at a local warm up gig in 2009(?) was a beauty. Great band, great atmosphere, plenty of love.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

johnnyboy wrote:The Stooges playing Funhouse at Hammersmith Apollo blew me away. I knew they'd be good but man they were stunning. Went from standing half way back to going bonkers down the front and getting on stage.

o really? i thought suicide were amazing before- the same beat for the whole album! although all in all it sounded little like their debut! then the stooges bored me (i was in the minority as when suicide were on) but the whole 'high school sucks!' 'let's have a stage invasion'. i loved the encore of i wanna be your dog but then to say 'hey let's play that again!' kinda took the magic away. the band sounded good and well rehearsed but there was lirttle, if any, magic for me

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The Dr wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:The Stooges playing Funhouse at Hammersmith Apollo blew me away. I knew they'd be good but man they were stunning. Went from standing half way back to going bonkers down the front and getting on stage.

o really? i thought suicide were amazing before- the same beat for the whole album! although all in all it sounded little like their debut! then the stooges bored me (i was in the minority as when suicide were on) but the whole 'high school sucks!' 'let's have a stage invasion'. i loved the encore of i wanna be your dog but then to say 'hey let's play that again!' kinda took the magic away. the band sounded good and well rehearsed but there was lirttle, if any, magic for me
That was a different gig. Suicide supported them for the Raw Power shows in 2010. The Funhouse show was from the first ATP Don't Look Back series of shows from 2005, no support from what I can recall.
http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSit ... px?id=3697
Or as the Guardian said in a review of the Raw Power show....."as anyone who witnessed the broiling chaos of their 2005 show at the same venue would doubtless attest. They didn't so much play their 1970 album Fun House as mount a particularly reckless assault on it".
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.adamvillacin.com/reunions

I saw this zine at a book fair in LA yesterday and bought it. Includes Spacemen 3 and some other bands with pretty hilarious fictional reasons why these bands won't get back together. The SP3 says Jason is a ghostwriter for huge pop stars and Pete is the band leader for American Idol and that they won't reunite because they are so successful now that they don't want to risk losing income.
A zine collecting illustrations and hypothetical reasonings behind certain bands that will most likely never reunite.

Featuring musings on The Smiths, Misfits, Fleetwood Mac, Guns 'N' Roses, The Jam, Spacemen 3, Operation Ivy, and Minor Threat.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

johnnyboy wrote:
The Dr wrote:

That was a different gig. Suicide supported them for the Raw Power shows in 2010. The Funhouse show was from the first ATP Don't Look Back series of shows from 2005, no support from what I can recall.
http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSit ... px?id=3697
Or as the Guardian said in a review of the Raw Power show....."as anyone who witnessed the broiling chaos of their 2005 show at the same venue would doubtless attest. They didn't so much play their 1970 album Fun House as mount a particularly reckless assault on it".
o my mistake, i apologise :D

Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Still got a candle burning for Lift to Experience...

For years my number one longed-for reunion was Talking Heads, but I'm not sure I'd even bother going now, not that it's ever going to happen anyway!!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fuck Reunions - I'm holding out for Northern Uproar's grand comeback tour.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Greeny wrote:Still got a candle burning for Lift to Experience...
at ATP back in 2009 I stumbled across Josh T. Pearson's set... he had the drummer from Lift to Experience backing him and the full reverbed electic guitar.. a proper whirlwind of sound.. it was fantastic and the nearest thing to a LTE reunion we will probably get.. I was surprised when I heard his album and it was more of a quiet acoustic affair!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

angelsighs wrote:
Greeny wrote:Still got a candle burning for Lift to Experience...
at ATP back in 2009 I stumbled across Josh T. Pearson's set... he had the drummer from Lift to Experience backing him and the full reverbed electic guitar.. a proper whirlwind of sound.. it was fantastic and the nearest thing to a LTE reunion we will probably get.. I was surprised when I heard his album and it was more of a quiet acoustic affair!
Yeah, he did something similar in 2007 at the Dirty Three ATP.

Not the same though... :(
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

MBV
Slowdive
The House of Love were OK, worth doing. At least they made a couple of new records, too.
Ride sound like they were decent but haven't seen them myself.