Julian Cope: Final Address Drudion

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

citizensmurf
Known user

Julian Cope: Final Address Drudion

Post by citizensmurf »

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/addressdrudion/174/2014/

Not sure how many people here have followed the monthly writings of Julian Cope on his Head Heritage website, but for those who don't, this month marks the final "Address Drudion", after a mostly consistent 17 year run (monthly since 2000).

A platform for his ideas, and activities (musical and literary), he has also been providing monthly reviews of new underground releases since 2006.

I have been following these Drudions (which comes from his nickname the Arch-Drude) since the early days, and have bought many of the albums he has spotlighted over the years.

Often polarizing and highly political, his writing style was not suited for the mainstream press, but if you could navigate your way through the jargon and the obscure musical and historical references, the richness of his knowledge was fully satisfying. Here's the opening paragraph from the final installment:

"My time is up! I’ve been serving up these Addresses periodically since 1997CE, and monthly since 2000CE. But now my time here is done. In truth, I’ve already heard more than enough great underground music this Millennium to convince myself that many of our 21st century artists done transcended the Ancestors. True, brothers’n’sisters. True true. And don’t look at me like that all you Unbelieving music writers at G2, at Q magazine, at Record Collector and the like because the evidence is clear as day. Evidence? Yup, because when I play my daughters Old Timer stuff, they invariably tear that **** off the turntable in favour of the Current. Always the Current comes emanating out of their rooms. That is, of course, unless it’s Old Timer **** like Amon Düül 1, Amon Düül 2, Black Sabbath, early Blue Cheer, James Brown, Can, Cluster, Crass, Miles Davis, Death Comes Along, Doors, Electric Eels, Furekaaben, Joy Div., MC5, Rallizes, Klaus Schulze, Sleep, Taj Mahal Travellers, early T. Dream, Velvets or Neil Young. In other words: The Ur-Ancestors. Pretty much everybody else sound like right Dwindlers compared to the new pinnacles of 21st Century Rock’n’roll. And so I send out massive hails to the following mainstays of these Head Heritage transmissions: to Stone Breath, to Orthodox, The Heads, Gnod, Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor, Bibilic Blood, Urthona, Hey Colossus, Grady Runyan, Acid Mothers Temple, Om, Sturmpercht, Bong, Comets on Fire, To Blacken The Pages, Father Murphy, Sunburned Hand Of The Man, Temple of Bon Matin, Qa’a, San Francisco Water Cooler, Sunn0))), Sacrificial Totem, Quittinirpaaq, Valley Of Ashes, and to Khanate, natch. To all of you and anyone else I’ve left out, a huge thanks for keeping my Mental Health so rigorously in check. Your glory will only increase with time for ****-damned-sure. And to all the facilitators of this monumental underground overlode – to Holy McGrail, to Coldspring Records, to Dark Holler, to the Seth Man, to Crucial Blast, to Utech Records, to Heart & Crossbone, to Steinklang, to Boring Machines, to Southern Lord, to Rocket Recordings, to Alone Records, to Ole Knudsen, to Stephen (SOMA) O’Malley, to all who drive things forwards. Generosity has been your password; let everyone know that to Sustain is Everything! And how you have sustained, Mother****ers! Thank you, all, thank you, thank you."

If you have any interest in the vast amount of amazing music bubbling under the surface, check out any of the Drudions from the past several years. It has informed so much of what I listen to lately, so I want to share it with whomever will listen.
plastic37
Known user

Re: Julian Cope: Final Address Drudion

Post by plastic37 »

Yes, this has been a great source of info over the years. Will be sad to see it go.
Heavy Tourism
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

Just realized I censored myself, I copied and pasted this from a post I wrote on another forum, which automatically censors the naughty words. Feel free to read the link for the real deal.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I've been following these for years now but don't recall there being any explanation as to why these are ending. Does anyone know the background? It sounds like JC is moving or relocating or something. Just curious...
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

Their kids are grown up, they are selling their house ( http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... A8BE5BF827 ), and they are probably going to travel more. I think he's spent enough time giving us free music advice for one lifetime. I can only imagine the sheer volume of music that he listens to each month to have whittled it down to a few to really recommend. I've purchased many of those Unsung reviews, and not one has disappointed me. He just finished his first novel, 131 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Three-Gnost ... 0571270360 ), and will probably spend time promoting it. I don't think he's about to retire, in fact it seems like he's just going to pull up his roots and free himself and his family of a lifetime of stuff (check out the HH merchandiser for an ebay listing of music and items they've been selling).
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

citizensmurf wrote:Their kids are grown up, they are selling their house ( http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... A8BE5BF827 ), and they are probably going to travel more. I think he's spent enough time giving us free music advice for one lifetime. I can only imagine the sheer volume of music that he listens to each month to have whittled it down to a few to really recommend. I've purchased many of those Unsung reviews, and not one has disappointed me. He just finished his first novel, 131 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Three-Gnost ... 0571270360 ), and will probably spend time promoting it. I don't think he's about to retire, in fact it seems like he's just going to pull up his roots and free himself and his family of a lifetime of stuff (check out the HH merchandiser for an ebay listing of music and items they've been selling).
Thanks for the eBay links. I picked up the blue vinyl 'At Last' by The Heads, which I have been after for ages. It did cost £55 all up, which was eye-watering, but the only other copy I've seen for sale for sale is on Discogs for €200.00!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

God, his house is hideous!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Compared to the house i live in, its a veritable palace! I actually quite like it... but then i love country houses...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runaway wrote:God, his house is hideous!
That which works for thee does not have to work for me, or YMMV......
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

olan wrote:Thanks for the eBay links. I picked up the blue vinyl 'At Last' by The Heads, which I have been after for ages. It did cost £55 all up, which was eye-watering, but the only other copy I've seen for sale for sale is on Discogs for €200.00
Nice. Heads stuff goes for crazy money. They just put up a couple more Heads promo cdrs. I expect them to go for more than the vinyl. I'm holding out for the eventual vinyl reissues to come out, someday.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

citizensmurf wrote:
olan wrote:Thanks for the eBay links. I picked up the blue vinyl 'At Last' by The Heads, which I have been after for ages. It did cost £55 all up, which was eye-watering, but the only other copy I've seen for sale for sale is on Discogs for €200.00
Nice. Heads stuff goes for crazy money. They just put up a couple more Heads promo cdrs. I expect them to go for more than the vinyl. I'm holding out for the eventual vinyl reissues to come out, someday.
Shhhh, don't tell anyone :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

runaway wrote:God, his house is hideous!
:roll: Eh? Looks well cool to me. I'd love to live there.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Have to agree: that looks like a fantastic house. I love those attic rooms.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I think his house is great. Plenty of space and light plus workspace too, what more do ya want? :)

As for the Drudions...i was really only interested in the opening and closing statements. For the past few years i tended to skip over the reviews as Cope was too prone to hyperbole and i didn't really need to hear about yet another drone/doom act in thrall to Sunn O, or an industrial/kosmische kraut-synth release.
I still have the postcards that he used to send out pre-internet days. It was always exciting when one of them dropped in the letter box. Ahh..simple times :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Looks like a Spanish horse stable, but we're not here to argue about architecture!
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I'm fairly sure I read in an interview with Julian a while back that he bought that house off of Doggen. That's not the only Copey / Spiritualized connection of course. There was a time when Jason was recruiting members of Julian's backing band, namely Mike Mooney, Kevin Bales, Thighpaulsandra and of course Doggen. I also once read, maybe in the same previously mentioned interview, that Julian & Jason had the same accountant.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cope fans may want to keep an eye on the Merchandiser: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/

Head Heritage’s STOREROOM 3 has been inaccessible to us for almost a decade, its contents blocked by musical instruments and art pieces from the Black Sheep period. However, those elements have now been removed by their owners, enabling us to access quantities of very interesting Julian Cope and Cope-related dead stock: new old stock, stored always in a warm and dark room.

Records, CDs, posters, t-shirts, promo-only items – these are all now available to purchase wherever you see the STOREROOM 3 logo.

Stock may appear in bursts as we must appraise the condition of each item as it emerges from its box.

I picked up a rather fetching Jehovahkill T-shirt and a Teardrops 'Zoology' cd. The latter go for £80-100 online.
ungere
Known user

Post by ungere »

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for Zoology for ages at a decent price.

sunray wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 pm Cope fans may want to keep an eye on the Merchandiser: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/

Head Heritage’s STOREROOM 3 has been inaccessible to us for almost a decade, its contents blocked by musical instruments and art pieces from the Black Sheep period. However, those elements have now been removed by their owners, enabling us to access quantities of very interesting Julian Cope and Cope-related dead stock: new old stock, stored always in a warm and dark room.

Records, CDs, posters, t-shirts, promo-only items – these are all now available to purchase wherever you see the STOREROOM 3 logo.

Stock may appear in bursts as we must appraise the condition of each item as it emerges from its box.

I picked up a rather fetching Jehovahkill T-shirt and a Teardrops 'Zoology' cd. The latter go for £80-100 online.
ungere
Known user

Post by ungere »

ungere wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 pm Thanks for the tip. I've been searching for Zoology at a decent price.

sunray wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 pm Cope fans may want to keep an eye on the Merchandiser: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Thanks for the heads up Sunray! I always keep a half eye on JC's site but missed this at first. Still, Head Heritage continue to amaze me after a decade of being consistently the best music web retailer I've dealt with - I ordered Zoology & an L Jehovahkill t-shirt late Thursday night and it arrived barely 36 hours later, and I live in a reasonably remote part of Scotland too :) I've now just this second seen and ordered the Skellington/Skellington 2 LP for £15 -- this might well become a treasure-trove of releases arriving and selling out super quick over the next few weeks, so keep an eye out JC fans...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

This was from 4 years ago, but still i must have missed it
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Might be of interest to some: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HH39/

I suspect it might be in a similar vein to Cope's Notes Vol.1, which is no bad thing in my book.

It was on pre-order a few weeks ago in the shops so i ordered the vinyl from Norman, as at the time there was no mention of it on HH. It arrived in the post today. Gave Copey a few quid with a cd purchase though! :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Droolian reissued in the 'Cope's Notes' series. Meaning you get Droolian, plus the 22 minute sequel Droolian's Mother and a 44 page booklet: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchand ... /HHPRESS5/
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

There's a vinyl version?
sunray wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm Might be of interest to some: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HH39/

I suspect it might be in a similar vein to Cope's Notes Vol.1, which is no bad thing in my book.

It was on pre-order a few weeks ago in the shops so i ordered the vinyl from Norman, as at the time there was no mention of it on HH. It arrived in the post today. Gave Copey a few quid with a cd purchase though! :D
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

burningwheel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:52 am There's a vinyl version?
sunray wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm Might be of interest to some: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HH39/

That link you quoted is for Cold War Psychedelia, of which there are vinyl and cd versions. The reissue of Droolian is cd only and sold out in 24 hours. A second run of Droolian will be up for sale from next Monday, or some time next week anyway.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Brand new Cope album 'England Expectorates' on sale now: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HH38/

I love that Julian also uses the term 'Yin-Yangs'. Thought i was the only one :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cope appears to be culling/selling his cd collection. New items going up every day: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/

I grabbed this one, featuring Doggen, for a fiver: https://www.discogs.com/release/1626400 ... n-Gooch-EP