Jason on the RSD song via NME...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

beaker73
Known user

Jason on the RSD song via NME...

Post by beaker73 »

Interesting: J's broke, but thinking of a new album....

Home > News > News ArticleApril 1, 2014 16:23 Spiritualized's Jason Pierce on Record Store Day space song: 'I did it because I was broke' 'There's so much crap about how they did it' he says of the 'Space Project' compilation album

Earlier this year, the band revealed a new track called 'Always Together With You (The Bridge Song)', which features on the 'Space Project' compilation album, for which artists were invited to use sounds recorded during the Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 space probes on the album. Listen to the track below.

Speaking in this week's NME, which is available on newsstands from tomorrow (April 2) and digitally, the Spiritualized frontman reveals he wasn't wholly keen on the project.

"It was set up by [my label] Fat Possum, who I'm signed to, so there was no thought in getting me involved, really," he said. "Plus I was broke. That was my main motivation. They said they've give me $1,500 to do a drone, which I can do in my sleep. And they got lucky, because I didn't go in to write a tune, but I came out with that song, so it kind of worked out."

Talking about the concept behind the album, he added: "They said they'd made recordings of the planets, but you can't record in a vacuum. There's so much crap about how they did it. I've got the time but I didn't have the will to read it all. But basically, somebody's taken another form, like an infra-red or an electromagnetic wave – something you can record – and made that into a sound."

Pierce then goes on to talk about the relationship with his manager, adding that even though he did the track for financial reasons, it has made him start thinking about a new Spiritualized record.

He said: "I'm flat broke right now. My last manager pissed about to the point where I didn't know how much my debts were, so when I got rid of him I was completely fucked. I was promised $1,500 to write a drone, and that's what I went in to do. I didn't have a demo, I didn't have an idea, but two days later I came out with that tune, and I'm proud of it. It's a real start towards making a new album."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/7 ... lOyecWq.99
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
clewsr
Known user

Re: Jason on the RSD song via NME...

Post by clewsr »

very candid. not so good there's no money in the pot. sadly not very surprising.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

It's scary to think he can tour for almost two years, play two massive sell out shows in LA early this year and still be broke. It must be tough when you have a family to support too. Kudos to him making a 30 year career out of it.

Guy deserves more than $1,500 for that track, which is stunning and will likely be the selling point of the album. Imagine sending someone into a studio to make a 'drone' and getting that in return? Surely you'd be supporting an artist like that big time if they were on your roster?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

um is this a new song? i know there was one called always forgetting with you...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

But we all bought those tshirts with the proceeds going to Jason.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

So Jason's skint and in debt....

Hang on a minute lads, I've got a great idea...

Spacemen 3 reunion - yay!! £££££££

I'll get me coat.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

good dope/good fun wrote:But we all bought those tshirts with the proceeds going to Jason.
The money is here waiting for Jason. He knows it. He has been emailed several times but my guess he is too busy with a new label, a new band, new shows, new record hopefully.
Somehow I dont think the $$$ due to him is going to drastically change his situation. The LA shows and side projects will.
But thanks for asking.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Yeah, dont see how the t shirt sales would be anything substantial enough to help him out of his predicament :/
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Trust me. They dont. Got an email from Jason today. Things are better than they appeared via NME.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Cool. Well, that's nme for ya
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

That song deserves more than $1,500 in my opinion...then again I have no idea how much it costs to get a song recorded by a legendary act. "Always Forgetting With You" is a fantastic song, I really hope Jason aims for another droney album next, but I'll take whatever he offers.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

spzretent wrote:Trust me. They dont. Got an email from Jason today. Things are better than they appeared via NME.
I guess we don't need to worry too much about the man, then. I assume maybe he meant there's currently no money in the Spiritualized pot rather than his own pocket. That's cool.

Can't wait to see where he takes it next musically.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its a long story. Maybe he will choose to tell people one day. Lets just say Jason is very motivated right now. Not that he wasn't before. That has to be a very good thing in my opinion.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Posted to Spiritualized Facebook page...
.......Must've been a slow news day. It was never my intention to criticise the Space Project as has been suggested in the press the past couple of days. It don't even read like me. I am deeply proud of the track i have recorded and I have no idea how the few words I said over the phone could have been written up the way they have been. The Space Project is one of the more interesting Record Store Day releases and we have worked hard on this project. The news story currently doing the rounds couldn't be further from the truth. Guess my humour and humility didn't translate that day. Don't believe all you read .... Xspaceman
Nothing to worry about... :D
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

lyrically the song feel like a sister track to life is a problem as postively 4th street feels like a sister track to like a rolling stone :D probably isn't though....

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, as good as this song is, I don't think I'll be forking out for the RSD 7x7" Space Project box set...just found out its going to be going for £31.99 :shock: Especially after Jason's less than glowing endorsement (I still don't think his words could have been taken that much out of context).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Its coming out on vinyl and cd as well
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup it's the CD version I will have my eye on, which I assume will be at a much more reasonable cost.

surely the band being broke is the same as J being broke? seeing as they are one and the same to all intents and purposes. he still lives in a trendy part of London, doesn't he? that ain't cheap!!!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:yup it's the CD version I will have my eye on, which I assume will be at a much more reasonable cost.

surely the band being broke is the same as J being broke? seeing as they are one and the same to all intents and purposes. he still lives in a trendy part of London, doesn't he? that ain't cheap!!!

you cannot put a price on 'cool' :wink:

coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

Being "broke" means different things to different people..I work as a bartender and I love to hear yuppies sitting around having brunch on a Sunday complaining how "broke" they are while they order up another round of Mimosa's.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, but you gotta take into consideration that some people go balls deep into debt trying to maintain appearances. This might be a considerable portion of the yuppies you're serving. Bunch of idiots with massive credit card bills. They're spending a ton of money they don't have and they're more broke than you think.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

coffeepotman wrote:Being "broke" means different things to different people..I work as a bartender and I love to hear yuppies sitting around having brunch on a Sunday complaining how "broke" they are while they order up another round of Mimosa's.
i was on the train, listening to two strangers talking to each other about how a million is not a million anymore

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

#yoloswag
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the one that annoys me is when people say "oh, I'm SO skint, I may have to actually dip into my holiday fund/savings/parental nest egg"... if you've got a backup reserve of cash, you ain't skint!!! try living hand to mouth!

I must say, I quite like the phrase "balls deep into debt" :)