shsl interview

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

shsl interview

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: shsl interview

Post by BzaInSpace »

AS: I read that you were in tears onstage during a recent performance of Ladies and Gentleman.

It was on a weekend in Scotland, and people properly come out there on weekends. They’d all taken their ecstasy, and the venue was kind of electric. It was like one of those snake handling churches where somebody would just stand up and shout, “I fucking love you!” and then sit back down again. We were playing an acoustic set with three gospel singers and a string quartet. The noise from the audience was actually greater than the noise from the band, but not like talking over the music or anything. It was more excited noise connected to the music. We started playing the title song and when we got to “Wise men say . . .” I looked around and saw all the gospel singers with tears streaming down their faces, because it was so glorious. But not in a hushed reverence—it was properly mad in there.

Haha! No way, nice find Doc...

And it certainly was properly mad in there.

Ask Shaun or Tommy...

A Spz weekend gig in Scotland? Acoustic or not that was always gonna be messy, in a supremely elegant and moving way of course!
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Sounds like the original Acoustic Mainlines show in Edinburgh which i think has been properly discussed in the past re: audience noise... i recall there being mixed feelings about all the hollering and "audience participation" :lol:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Laz69 wrote:Sounds like the original Acoustic Mainlines show in Edinburgh which i think has been properly discussed in the past re: audience noise... i recall there being mixed feelings about all the hollering and "audience participation" :lol:
Oh undoubtedly Laz.

Hell, where I was sitting in the top right of the venue, it was like a madhouse. Initially it appeared it was gonna fall apart, until you realized it was a true love vibe in there. Or ecstasy vibe.

I mean, there was these two guys near me who kept standing up, doing some weird contorted movement (that might have been some warped interpretation of the 'indie shuffle') and were clearly completely wired to the moon. During a musically quiet part - or as quiet as that night got - one them leaned right onto me and started asking me about "all the drummers"....
:?:

I could feel the red mist descend there right enough. The insane whistling is also so prevalent on the bootleg - it sorta cuts through everything else. And there is a lot of whistling... :wink:

Whoever shouts out for "Whole Lotta Rosie!" is a genius though.

It took me weeks to digest that entire weekend, and I've been firmly of the belief for years that it was tremendously unique gig and feel so lucky to have witnessed that. As far as gigs go - even amongst the Spiritualized shows - nothing has been similar to that night. Proper bonkers!
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

That was a really fun gig ... the audience noise you hear on the recording wasn't intrusive at the actual venue, but the party atmosphere was very evident, and very enjoyable!

It certainly was a contrast with the Acoustic Mainlines gigs just preceding Edinburgh, where everyone sat in hushed reverence. I'm glad I was able to go to a variety of those gigs, and I'm sure others who made the effort to travel also thought it well worth the effort. I wasn't sure if I'd ever get the chance to see such a unique experience again, which was pretty good motivation.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

That night in Edinburgh was my first Spiritualized show, and one of the greatest gigs I've ever witnessed.

The euphoria in that room was like nothing else I've ever experienced.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup I was there too! that Edinburgh gig is right up there with the best Spiritualized shows I've seen.

I also went to the Union Chapel show which was also wonderful but a very different atmosphere. there are bootlegs of both shows, so you can hear it for yourself.. the Edinburgh audience is wild and up for it... the London audience is reserved and quiet. probably says a lot about both cities :)
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

angelsighs wrote:yup I was there too! that Edinburgh gig is right up there with the best Spiritualized shows I've seen.

I also went to the Union Chapel show which was also wonderful but a very different atmosphere. there are bootlegs of both shows, so you can hear it for yourself.. the Edinburgh audience is wild and up for it... the London audience is reserved and quiet. probably says a lot about both cities :)
Could anyone put up the bootleg of that edinbrugh gig? I don't have it and all this talk about it, is making me damn curious :wink:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

This link should still be active - the legendary Tufty recorded this show. Seemingly he was sitting a few seats along from me... enjoy!

http://www.4shared.com/zip/o1fYR7Lb/Edi ... Nov_2.html
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, that Edinburgh gig was something else. I saw the Acoustic Mainline show in Brighton, London, Manchester and Edinburgh and the Edinburgh show was in a different league altogether. I actually travelled to Manchester and Edinburgh with Shaun (The Jig) and Veiko on some kind of random road trip and then hooked up with BZA and Tommy (Orbital) in Edinburgh. Think I may have met Mojo Filters there too if my memory serves me right. A crazy weekend culminating in Tommy breaking his ankle while climbing up a drain pipe and Shaun playing the bagpipes :shock: Fun times 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

BzaInSpace wrote:This link should still be active - the legendary Tufty recorded this show. Seemingly he was sitting a few seats along from me... enjoy!

cheers for that!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

beaker73 wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:This link should still be active - the legendary Tufty recorded this show. Seemingly he was sitting a few seats along from me... enjoy!

cheers for that!
I'm having a nightmare trying to download this. Everything I click on is quarantined by my virus checker. Each link attempts to donwload 'ilivid', then my computer promptly tells me it's a trojan and deletes it. Can anyone tell me exactly which link is the right one once you've selected the first one? I am a total Luddite. Thanks.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

4shared sucks.
angelsighs wrote:yup I was there too! that Edinburgh gig is right up there with the best Spiritualized shows I've seen.

yea i also attended thse 3 shows. & i gotta say Edinburgh was one of the best gigs i've ever seen.
the london shows were nice, special in their own way - esp around christmas time & doing silent night.

but the edinburgh show, aside from that leg of AM having a vastly superior setlist, was raucous & celebratory in a way you don't really often get, anywhere. i mean you get a smattering of that atmosphere at most spz gigs but it's usually confined to one or two loopers, but edinburgh was an unrestrained lovefest. the atmosphere was perfect.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

heisenberg wrote:
beaker73 wrote:

cheers for that!
I'm having a nightmare trying to download this. Everything I click on is quarantined by my virus checker. Each link attempts to donwload 'ilivid', then my computer promptly tells me it's a trojan and deletes it. Can anyone tell me exactly which link is the right one once you've selected the first one? I am a total Luddite. Thanks.
it took some effort, but I managed to download it in the end. Put it in my dropbox and will keep it there for a few days for y'all to grab it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmelij6vwakmd ... 202006.zip
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Absolute gentleman. Thank you!