Metallica

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

Metallica

Post by The Dr »

i'm not really a fan of the band- i really like lulu- but not heard much beyond that, but is anoyne else getting sick of hearing about the glasto rubbish? first it was petitions against jay-z now it is anti-metallica crap with sub-indie bands going *in squeaky teenage voice* it's not fair!

is glastonbury really so close-minded about music? if so, pah to it! never really appealed to me (festivals don't), was curious but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7CfDeI3xs
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
SpacemanRob
Known user

Re: Metallica

Post by SpacemanRob »

Most people are angry as the lead singer is a fan of bear hunting which much be repugnant to any music fan.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Metallica suck so hard that Lars Ulrich's hair was actually sucked back into his scalp!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I prefer Slayer
Heavy Tourism
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Does anyone remember the time when a load of forum members from here went and registered on the Metallica forum purely to bait the fans? Someone started a thread about 'which was the best war?' and loads of Metallica fans chimed in. Someone else responded to a thread that asked 'what is the best Metallica shirt' by simply answering 'the black one'...
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

runcible wrote:Does anyone remember the time when a load of forum members from here went and registered on the Metallica forum purely to bait the fans? Someone started a thread about 'which was the best war?' and loads of Metallica fans chimed in. Someone else responded to a thread that asked 'what is the best Metallica shirt' by simply answering 'the black one'...
Sadly before my time. I'll be searching for the evidence later. Sounds a hoot!
Heavy Tourism
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:Does anyone remember the time when a load of forum members from here went and registered on the Metallica forum purely to bait the fans? Someone started a thread about 'which was the best war?' and loads of Metallica fans chimed in. Someone else responded to a thread that asked 'what is the best Metallica shirt' by simply answering 'the black one'...
Brilliant! I remember that actually.

You know what, I know nearly nothing about Metallica other than they sued (or attempted to) their own fans for downloading their records. I mean it must be hard at the level those guys operate at. Those meds don't come cheap!

I bizarrely received as a gift some years back the album Death Magnetic. Probably fairest to say it's just not my kind of thing - but worse is the insane levels of compression used in the mastering. It just sounds wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of extremely heavy stuff but they just come over all pompous and belligerent. And the tunes are pretty awful.

Slayer? I'll not have the good name of Slayer sullied by being compared to these guys... :wink:
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

yes, but my point was (bears aside as the bear comments are being made by fans whereas fellow musicians are making comments that the band do not fit in with glastonbury), that surely a music festival should embrace all kinds of music, not just the middle of the road tosh that is popular (coldplay, kasabian etc)

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

yeah, imagine if they did the same here with a thread called 'what is the best drug' and one replied 'the free one' :wink:

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

http://forum.spiritualized.me/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=340

thanks Runcible for bringing that up.
'twas before my time as well, but it remains, along with the "recurrying" thread, my go-to light reading when I've nothing better to do.
fabulous stuff.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

which reminds me.
for reasons I still don't understand, I recently came across the forum for the Diamond David Lee Roth Army.
just sayin'.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/forum.php
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

ro wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=340
Thanks
Heavy Tourism
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

enjoy :D
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

The Dr wrote:but my point was that surely a music festival should embrace all kinds of music,
err, no.
But then - 'Can' or 'should'?
A music festival can embrace all kinds of music. Yes.
A music festival should embrace all kinds of music. Yes, but no.
Are Metallica a special case?
The Dr wrote:but is anoyne else getting sick of hearing about the glasto rubbish?
It's entertaining. I find the rise of festivals fascinating on many levels. Y'know, culturally - the margins being absorbed and appropriated by the mainstream etc etc
And the Metallica thing - for a million reasons, thickens the plot.

The Dr wrote:not just the middle of the road tosh that is popular (coldplay, kasabian etc)
Not sure what you're saying - probably because the festival thing is so big now that conversations about these events can be had from vastly different view points, expectations and experiences.

this is my favourite Glastonbury video
Heavy Tourism
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

its all good publicity for the show right?

i grew up on metallica and kiss. kiss was my first concert (stabbing westward opened which i hoped for alice in chains since this was in tacoma WA). I stopped with kiss after seeing them in a DR pepper commercial and metallica after a shot james took at layne staley(bad taste). surely age might have gotten to me as i am now visiting things my parents never did (nilsson ,james taylor ,the rolling stones etc).

if the fucker wants to narrate a show on bear hunting thats his business (and the network). its really harmless isnt it (unless of course his fans are have now become vegans).

fact is :Rehab kills serious art and metallica should not be.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thanks for that ro - made my morning! Shame the links don't work to that forum though!

This one cracked me up.
metallica.JPG
metallica.JPG (22.84 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Man I miss $26. No one could cut through the bullshit quite like that guy.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spaceman85 wrote:its all good publicity for the show right?

i grew up on metallica and kiss. kiss was my first concert (stabbing westward opened which i hoped for alice in chains since this was in tacoma WA). I stopped with kiss after seeing them in a DR pepper commercial and metallica after a shot james took at layne staley(bad taste). surely age might have gotten to me as i am now visiting things my parents never did (nilsson ,james taylor ,the rolling stones etc).

if the fucker wants to narrate a show on bear hunting thats his business (and the network). its really harmless isnt it (unless of course his fans are have now become vegans).

fact is :Rehab kills serious art and metallica should not be.

p much this ^

i am a huge admirer of the first four metallica albums. aggressive & totally uncompromising, sublime riffage & face melting solo's.

yea they've all said & done dumb stuff thruout their time, but who hasn't?
& yea they've had a fair few stinkers album wise & completely lost the plot somehwere along the line but.. those first four albums still retain that immediate, precision magic.

as for their glasto headlining well i think it can only be a good thing. people who care about stupid things getting their stupid faces rubbed in it makes me laugh.
whole festival culture is not really my cup of tea. i can see why it appeals to some people, but they're usually much friendlier & sociable than me.

but i wouldn't mind seeing metallica live. they've got some great songs. loads of people will get off on it & it'll be a nice change of pace for a festival populated by dandies, snobs & hipsters.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I think the first three albums are great. Hit the Lights, Whiplash, Trapped Under Ice, Battery, Damage Inc are all top tunes. Not that keen on ".. and Justice for all" (apart from "One" which is a great song). The tracks are too long and there's something missing (Cliff Burton, I know!). I think the two b-sides from this album are brill - The Prince and Breadfan. I know they are covers, but they contain energy that the album tracks lack. The black album was the last one I bought - I just couldn't understand why it was so popular at the time. I just find it boring.

I don't know anything about Glastonbury nowadays - last time I went was 1992 - but it seems that the tickets sell out pretty fast and a long time in advance, so I guess there won't be many die-hard Metallica fans going(?) . I guess there will be a few casual fans there who are interested in seeing them. Are they the first "metal" band who have headlined?

Good do I say, variety the spice of life and all that!

Ste
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm no fan of Metallica at all, but I think the 'controversy' about them headlining is silly, and is revealing musical snobbery from both sides of the debate. they are a multi million selling, stadium filling band, regardless of genre. I don't see why its a bad fit for one of the biggest festivals in the world.
as for the metalheads, it's kinda reinforcing my view of them as closed and narrow minded. they can't stand something being taken out of their little ghetto.
I gather Metallica are more open minded than their fans are.. I remember they curated a festival a couple of years back, and there were hardly any metal bands, instead featuring The Black Angels and A Place To Bury Strangers, if I remember correctly.

as for the bear hunting thing? unfortunate, but I'm sure many musicians have played Glastonbury with views I wouldn't find palatable.